PDA

View Full Version : Creator of the Edsel dies.

WX7P
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/business/roy-brown-jr-edsel-designer-dies-at-96.html?_r=0

Roy Brown Jr., a car designer for Ford Motor (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/ford_motor_company/index.html?inline=nyt-org) whose signature creation, the supposedly futuristic but ultimately ill-fated Edsel, became a synonym for bold, bad ideas not long after it was introduced in 1957, died on Feb. 24 in Michigan. He was 96.

I actually liked those cars. I mowed lawns for a guy in the early seventies that had a 59 El Camino with an Edsel front clip. Cool machines.

NQ6U
03-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I'd take that convertible.

WX7P
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd take that convertible.

Which one? The 58 or the 59?

NQ6U
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
The '59 in the middle photo. Nice looking car.

WX7P
03-07-2013, 03:03 PM
You probably remember this area, il Papa.

My grandparents lived off of W. San Carlos in San Jose before it transitioned into Stevens Creek, which at the time (early 70's) was home to a lot of small used car lots.

I'd go for a walk and look at the cars. It was like going to a museum. I used to see Edsels there for $200. The convertibles were usually $300. I remember wishing I wasn't 14 and broke so I could buy one of those beauties.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 59 back in 93 in Santa Rosa for $1500. Didn't buy it because it had the doggy 6 in it.

W7XF
03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Janet....just think....if you would have, what would that car be worth now, even with the inline 6???

WX7P
03-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Janet....just think....if you would have, what would that car be worth now, even with the inline 6???

Not as much as you might think.

The real value in the 50's iron is in the drive train and of course, condition. Of course, I haven't looked lately.

What I'd really like to find is, ..what for it...a 62 Dodge Lancer with the 225 slant 6. That's basically a Valiant with a bunch of extra trim.

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Not as much as you might think.

The real value in the 50's iron is in the drive train and of course, condition. Of course, I haven't looked lately.

What I'd really like to find is, ..what for it...a 62 Dodge Lancer with the 225 slant 6. That's basically a Valiant with a bunch of extra trim.

I had a 62 Lancer with the /6. Had a four on the floor and that thing would absolutely scream. It was a very bright (and I mean bright) orange. It was a hoot to drive. But I'd still rather have my 65 Mustang or 71 Dodge Charger back.

Oh yeah. RIP Mr. Brown. I hope the casket isn't a compilation of...................never mind.

WX7P
03-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I had a 62 Lancer with the /6. Had a four on the floor and that thing would absolutely scream. It was a very bright (and I mean bright) orange. It was a hoot to drive. But I'd still rather have my 65 Mustang or 71 Dodge Charger back.

Oh yeah. RIP Mr. Brown. I hope the casket isn't a compilation of...................never mind.

I'd LOVE to find that exact car Mr. Desert Rat. I know the color scheme. It would probably shock the locals here...

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I'd LOVE to find that exact car Mr. Desert Rat. I know the color scheme. It would probably shock the locals here...

If you drive those like I did, they'll just see a blur.

kb2vxa
03-08-2013, 09:53 PM
My next door neighbor Max White had that red convertible, the trunk well stocked with my favorite yummies, he worked for a Boller distributor. Together they were the epitome of bad ass, he being half Cherokee they went together well.

"I almost pulled the trigger on a 59 back in 93 in Santa Rosa for $1500. Didn't buy it because it had the doggy 6 in it."
Stock for that year but still an EDSEL worth a pretty penny today... loser. (;->) There were options but you'd be hard pressed to find them these days. http://www.edsel.com/pages/edsel59.htm#Engines

Some years later I was heartbroken when I found half hidden by weeds a lump of rust with the only thing that said it once was an Edsel, the horse collar grille, next door to a friend Jack WA2V (SK) in Beechwood, NJ. Nope, after years of salt air exposure there wasn't anything left to restore... sniff... WWWAAAaaaaaaaa.................