PDA

View Full Version : How I spent a Wednesday morning/afternoon/evening....

W7XF
03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Took the Billy Goat to the local tire/alignment purveyor...got an estimate for $2300 for not only 4 new tires and an alignment, but it needed the entire front suspension rebuilt (all the parts made with rubber were dry-rotted), plus the fact I already knew I was going to have to plunk down about $1500-$2000 for a paint job (desert climate wreaks havoc on clear coats)....and it was out of warranty (6 yrs old)...

So.... I went to the place where a root canal is a more pleasant experience.

Net results:

I bet the sales manager and salesman would have rather had a root canal than deal with me again after I finally agreed to the terms. Window sticker was $30500.... I got through at $28900 including tax and tag. Considering the sales tax rate here is 9.6%....I don't think I did badly. Now, for mounting radios!!!!

KG4CGC
03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Do you mount your radios from behind?

Yeah, front ends aren't made the way they used to be. The market demands that stupid people want to drive their trucks as if they were small cars, thus, they make sports car front ends for something that is large and supposed to be used for hauling and pulling stuff.

WX7P
03-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Call sign plates!

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey, way to go Kevin. I have a 2010 that I'm driving now. You'll love it. I had a 2001, and two 2003s that I rolled, and a 2006 my son now has. I'm convinced that had I been in most anything else, I doubt I would have survived. The last one, I almost didn't They are very nice riding trucks. I mounted my Yaesu 857 under the back seat, and put the remote head just below the 4x4 and ac switches. The APRS rig is under there , too, on the other side. Around town I use Larsen through glass uhf/vhf on the 857, and on the road I use the Yaesu ATAS antenna on a special mount I made for the rear of the truck. If I hadn't needed to have a weatherproof bed cover on it, I was going to use a mount like the ones on this guys site. http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/breedlove1/ he makes some nice and durable stuff, but it's not cheap. If you want to use a stake pocket mount heed his warning for Tundras. The one I wanted was the one that mounts on the bed just behind the cab. If you are going to make some holes for a permanent mount, let me know. I'm just a few hours away, and I have my 12ga Benelli antenna mount hole maker.

Enjoy the ride, it's like riding on air.

W7XF
03-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Call sign plates!
Once ADOT gets the paperwork processed, Janet...the call sign plate WILL be on it. ( I already have one)

And, once Icom gets the IC7000 repaired and back to me, the FT-857D will be in the new ride!!

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Once ADOT gets the paperwork processed, Janet...the call sign plate WILL be on it. ( I already have one)

And, once Icom gets the IC7000 repaired and back to me, the FT-857D will be in the new ride!!

Well there ya go.

kb2vxa
03-08-2013, 08:14 PM
After all you went through I hate to pin your bubble but wtf. THIS is a goat, you can call it Billy if you like.