PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time Begins Sunday @ 1AM on 3/10/13

N2NH
03-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Time to spring forward an hour for the beginning of Daylight Savings Time early this Sunday morning (or Saturday evening if you prefer).

It's always interesting to see who comes to church an hour late... ;)

http://s23.postimage.org/tmxy6u7aj/clock_spring_forward_animated.gif

VK3ZL
03-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Daylight saving finishes here at the end of March..I hate daylight saving..All that extra sunshine fades the curtains..The cows get confused and give an extra gallon of milk a day..I seem to work less DX with the shorter nights..All that extra sunshine dries the garden out so Jeannie uses more water..With all that extra daylight I miss out on my proper sleep..Wish they would leave us alone with all this new fangled social engineering stuff.. Bastids...

Bob..VK3ZL..

N2NH
03-06-2013, 01:04 AM
There's always this bon-mot:

You may have noticed that March of this year was particularly hot. As a matter of fact, I understand that it was the hottest March since the beginning of the last century....
This should come as no surprise to any reasonable person. As you know, Daylight Saving time started almost a month early this year. You would think that members of Congress would ave considered the warming effect that an extra hour of daylight would have on our climate. Or did they?
Perhaps this is another plot by a liberal Congress to make us believe that global warming is a real threat. Perhaps the next time there should be serious tudies before Congress passes laws with such far-reaching effects.
CONNIE M. MESKIMEN
Hot Springs

Nothing more needs to be said on that.

One more that predates that one... no snopes for that one.

I am sure that if you have been out on the trails of our wonderful mountains lately you have noticed the snow is disappearing rapidly, and there are rocks and trees poking through at levels seemingly unprecedented in the memory of those of us that pay attention to such things. It is heartbreaking to to see their majestic finery slipping away so early.

Ah, the locals say, global warming is to blame! They have seen the movie by Albert Gore and are convinced, and even our own Aspen Skiing Co. is buying it. But the true culprit is right under their noses, on the faces of their watches, foisted upon us by another sainted Democrat - one Franklin Delano Roosevelt!

Yes, my friends, I am speaking of the insidious evil known as daylight-saving time! When we switched our clocks ahead on March 10, we not only lost an hour of sleep for one night, we added an hour of sunlight to every evening until next November. Any fool can tell you that afternoon sun is the hottest sun, as that is the hottest part of the day! Think of the damage an extra hour of solar radiation does to the snow on our mountains. And this year, with a Democrat congress, daylight-saving time was moved up four weeks, adding all that extra melting time. It will be a wonder if there is even a snow bank left to play in when April rolls around.

Now is the time for all right thinking Americans to call their congressman to tell them that this madness must stop, before Aspen and its economy melts away.

David K. Gibson
Aspen

LINK (http://web.archive.org/web/20071001214713/http://aspentimes.com/article/20070323/LETTER/103230063&SearchID=73279159)

Darn-gummit Dems!

n6hcm
03-06-2013, 03:12 AM
this clock changing nonsense sucks. it's 2013, people!

K7SGJ
03-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm glad we don't do that shit in this part of the desert.

WX7P
03-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Daylight saving finishes here at the end of March..I hate daylight saving..All that extra sunshine fades the curtains..The cows get confused and give an extra gallon of milk a day..I seem to work less DX with the shorter nights..All that extra sunshine dries the garden out so Jeannie uses more water..With all that extra daylight I miss out on my proper sleep..Wish they would leave us alone with all this new fangled social engineering stuff.. Bastids...

Bob..VK3ZL..

...and get off my lawn! :lol:

X-Rated
03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
...and get off my lawn! :lol:

I'm not smart enough to go to Stanford, much less get onto your yard.

PA5COR
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Sunday 31st March yuck hate it every time we have to do that ....

n2ize
03-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Yeah but it does help me save money on lamp oil. The extra hours of daylight means that I burn my oil lamps for an hour less every night before retiring. That means I burn less lamp oil which means the less often I have to hitch up the team and ride 20 miles into town to go to the General Store to buy lamp oil.

N2RJ
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight SavingS time.

Best 73s

N2RJ
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM

I agree. Just move it forward an hour permanently. More daylight when I'm home is nice.

n2ize
03-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Old Native American saying... Only the white man believes he can make the blanket longer by cutting 1 foot from the top and sewing it to the bottom.

n2ize
03-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Best 73s

How much do you pay for lamp oil these days ? I find the new style wicks give more light for the same amount of oil and they don't have to be trimmed as often. More light for less money.

KG4CGC
03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I like DST. It's been a part of my life since I can remember. Always a better outlook on life when the clock says 9:30PM and I can still see daylight.

NY4Q
03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I wish they'd just split that shit down the middle and call it good.

NQ6U
03-06-2013, 06:03 PM
We must all resist DST. It is mothing more than a UN scheme to pollute American's precious bodily fluids by messing up our internal clocks. Obama is in on it. He wants us in a weakened state so it will be easier to take away our guns and then forcibly convert us all to Islam.

n2ize
03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Well, most of my clocks are connected to a network and thus regularly and automatically update via a stratum 2 (or sometimes a stratum 1 or 3) time server and the sodtware corrects for EST/DST. Only one analog wall clock that I have to adjust manually. Of course my old 1940's pocket watch needs manual adjustment. Also needs regular winding as well.

n2ize
03-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I like DST. It's been a part of my life since I can remember. Always a better outlook on life when the clock says 9:30PM and I can still see daylight.

Where I plan to move after I retire I should be seeing the sun 24 hrs a day (or reasonably close too it) during the summer season. The trade off will be continual night and very long night during the winter months. Actually I prefer night time to day time. One thing I never liked about summer was that it always takes so long to get dark and then before you know its getting light again.

WX7P
03-06-2013, 06:20 PM
We must all resist DST. It is mothing more than a UN scheme to pollute American's precious bodily fluids by messing up our internal clocks. Obama is in on it. He wants us in a weakened state so it will be easier to take away our guns and then forcibly convert us all to Islam.

Are YOU channeling Fox "News" now too, il Papa?

N2NH
03-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Are YOU channeling Fox "News" now too, il Papa?

Careful, next thing you know he'll write an encyclical...

KC2UGV
03-06-2013, 06:49 PM
How much do you pay for lamp oil these days ? I find the new style wicks give more light for the same amount of oil and they don't have to be trimmed as often. More light for less money.

About 1.63 at the gas stations that carry kero.

I prefer the mantles. No wick to trim, and the light is much brighter: http://www.aladdinlamps.com/Product_View.asp?StockID=A2310-209

Just get the farm grade stuff.

KG4CGC
03-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Where I plan to move after I retire I should be seeing the sun 24 hrs a day (or reasonably close too it) during the summer season. The trade off will be continual night and very long night during the winter months. Actually I prefer night time to day time. One thing I never liked about summer was that it always takes so long to get dark and then before you know its getting light again.

You could live on the ISS.

KG4CGC
03-06-2013, 07:00 PM

I prefer the mantles. No wick to trim, and the light is much brighter: http://www.aladdinlamps.com/Product_View.asp?StockID=A2310-209

Farm grade has a higher sulfur content. Smells like cow farts.

KC2UGV
03-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Farm grade has a higher sulfur content. Smells like cow farts.

Hmmm... Never noted that. I thought they just added blue dye to the fuel for dipstick checks.

KG4CGC
03-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Hmmm... Never noted that. I thought they just added blue dye to the fuel for dipstick checks.

We call it ''stink tank.''

XE1/N5AL
03-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Here, we start daylight savings time on Sunday, April 7. During most of the year, we are synced-up with the U.S. Central Time Zone states. But, for a period of weeks during the spring and fall, we have the same time as the U.S. Mountain Time Zone states.

KG4CGC
03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
DST was invented by the Illuminati to convert us all to Wicca while we're sleeping.

n2ize
03-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Use quality lamp oil or a high grade kerosene. Burns cleaner , less smoke, and less fumes. I have an old hanging oil lamp designed to be hung via a chain over a desk or work area. It's a standard wick rather than a mantle but, it uses a large circular wick and it's bright as heck. Also heats the room in winter.

KC2UGV
03-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Use quality lamp oil or a high grade kerosene. Burns cleaner , less smoke, and less fumes. I have an old hanging oil lamp designed to be hung via a chain over a desk or work area. It's a standard wick rather than a mantle but, it uses a large circular wick and it's bright as heck. Also heats the room in winter.

Yet another reason I like the Aladdin's. They are smokeless no matter how crappy the fuel is.

Then again, you could go with these: http://www.britelyt.com/lanterns.htm

Pressure lantern, but still the best fuel lamps money can buy right now.

n2ize
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Yet another reason I like the Aladdin's. They are smokeless no matter how crappy the fuel is.

Then again, you could go with these: http://www.britelyt.com/lanterns.htm

Pressure lantern, but still the best fuel lamps money can buy right now.

Yeah, those Petromax ones look interesting. I'll consider those if I am in the market for new ones. Right now all the oil lamps I have are antiques at least a century old or more and probably saw a lot of regular use back in their day. . Most are the traditional common "hurricane lamp" variety, all glass with glass chimney designed to sit on a table or in a wall mount bracket. The fancier ones are the hanging lamp I described and a desk / study lamp (with a large cylindrical wick) what I am restoring. I also have a few very small lamps that I believe were used as "night lights" or "decor" lighting in the old days. They appear to be quite old. A couple of them even have small colored glass chimneys. Perhaps they were used as Christmas or holiday decor in the pre-electric days.

kf0rt
03-06-2013, 09:55 PM
DST is simply proof that some asswipe you never heard of still has arbitrary control over some small part of your life.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :neener:

W7XF
03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm glad we don't do that shit in this part of the desert.
+1 :-)

WX7P
03-06-2013, 10:44 PM
+1 :-)

It's too bad you're never there, Kevin!

W7XF
03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Janet...my watch stays on MST, as well as my comic book.

NQ6U
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Janet...my watch stays on MST, as well as my comic book.

Swift's home terminal is in Phoenix, hence Kevin fills out his driver's daily log using MST. Same deal for me when I was driving for Knight.

K7SGJ
03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Swift's home terminal is in Phoenix, hence Kevin fills out his driver's daily log using MST. Same deal for me when I was driving for Knight.

As it should be. The whole world should be on MST. Problem solved.

NQ6U
03-07-2013, 12:10 AM
As it should be. The whole world should be on MST. Problem solved.

You know, San Diego should really be on MST. If you look at a map of the U.S., you'll see that we're actually due south of Boise, ID.

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
You know, San Diego should really be on MST. If you look at a map of the U.S., you'll see that we're actually due south of Boise, ID.

You should just be glad we let you be part of the US. XE6BSO just doesn't have that "snap" to it

NQ6U
03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
You should just be glad we let you be part of the US. XE6BSO just doesn't have that "snap" to it

No comprende, usted un pinché gabacho.

KG4CGC
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Did someone just say, pinche' tu madre'?

WX7P
03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
You boys are some nasty pendejos.

NQ6U
03-07-2013, 03:40 PM
You boys are some nasty pendejos.

Nothing nasty about what I wrote. Insulting, sure, but only if you're a pinché gabacho.

WX7P
03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Nothing nasty about what I wrote. Insulting, sure, but only if you're a pinché gabacho.

:lol:

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 03:53 PM

I thought gabachos were those beans they use in soups and salads.

WX7P
03-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I thought gabachos were those beans they use in soups and salads.

What IS that creature in your avatar?

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
What IS that creature in your avatar?

It's a pack rat we found and raised until we let it go. They are cute, but very destructive. That's why I let it go where I used to work. We named it Barack since it had no birth certificate.

W7XF
03-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Are you Pope Carlo I, or the Chupacabra??? :chin:

WX7P
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
It's a pack rat we found and raised until we let it go. They are cute, but very destructive. That's why I let it go where I used to work. We named it Barack since it had no birth certificate.

Heh, I thought it was a pack rat. The BOO (Bhutan). our Birman, used to find those things in Sac and play with them until death.

We'd find the gift in the morning on the living room carpet.

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Heh, I thought it was a pack rat. The BOO (Bhutan). our Birman, used to find those things in Sac and play with them until death.

We'd find the gift in the morning on the living room carpet.

The rattlesnakes usually keep the pack rat population at bay, but a few manage to escape and feast on the vehicle wiring. The bastids.

X-Rated
03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
I thought it was Deylot Say Ving Thyme.

So just how much time is the daylight saving then?

X-Rated
03-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Best 73s

http://pleasantville.patch.com/articles/when-is-daylight-savings-time-2013

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/lawmaker-says-times-up-for-daylight-savings

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/03/07/4675587/spring-forward-and-make-the-most.html

Just a few news outlets who need to be notified of the correction.

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I thought it was Deylot Say Ving Thyme.

So just how much time is the daylight saving then?

I'm not sure about daylight, but over the years I've saved up close to 65 hours.

NA4BH
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
The rattlesnakes usually keep the pack rat population at bay, but a few manage to escape and feast on the vehicle wiring. The bastids.

Would that make him a "Rat Bastid"?

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Would that make him a "Rat Bastid"?

Why, yes it would. I had to let him go because he just never got the hang of bidding on Ebay, but he always did out bid Pat. :hyper:

WX7P
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM

Yep, I experienced that back in Pershing County, NV back in 1990.

I went there with brand x #2 with with my 4 year old daughter to do the Nevada QSO party. We parked in the weeks off road at Rye Patch Reservoir of the trail. I had my radio, TS-430s, a Vic-20 for rtty and a bunch of marine batteries, a honda generator and a center fed zep. Worked a shit load of stations, mostly county hunters especially from JA.

We were there for 4 days. We packed up the car and Nada. Nothing at all. This was before cellphone coverage so there was some panic. I opened the hood and found that some little rat creature had made a happy little home in engine compartment of my Buick. The little bastid had stolen one of our cloth napkins, spread it out on the air cleaner cover, and put peach pits (which he stole our of our garbage) at the four corners of the napkin. I looked into down into the engine compartment and saw two little eyes staring at me. He had chewed through the minus battery cable and made it non functional.

With lots of electrical tape and the generator, we got the car started. I have the pic somewhere of the rat in the engine compartment. It was not fun dealing with that situation in the pre-reliable cell phone era.

At least that was better than when I rolled my Nissan 4x4 on Humboldt Mt. in 1989 going to a place I shouldn't have been. Ham radio helped me then. But that's another story.

K7SGJ
03-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Yep, I experienced that back in Pershing County, NV back in 1990.

I went there with brand x #2 with with my 4 year old daughter to do the Nevada QSO party. We parked in the weeks off road at Rye Patch Reservoir of the trail. I had my radio, TS-430s, a Vic-20 for rtty and a bunch of marine batteries, a honda generator and a center fed zep. Worked a shit load of stations, mostly county hunters especially from JA.

We were there for 4 days. We packed up the car and Nada. Nothing at all. This was before cellphone coverage so there was some panic. I opened the hood and found that some little rat creature had made a happy little home in engine compartment of my Buick. The little bastid had stolen one of our cloth napkins, spread it out on the air cleaner cover, and put peach pits (which he stole our of our garbage) at the four corners of the napkin. I looked into down into the engine compartment and saw two little eyes staring at me. He had chewed through the minus battery cable and made it non functional.

With lots of electrical tape and the generator, we got the car started. I have the pic somewhere of the rat in the engine compartment. It was not fun dealing with that situation in the pre-reliable cell phone era.

At least that was better than when I rolled my Nissan 4x4 on Humboldt Mt. in 1989 going to a place I shouldn't have been. Ham radio helped me then. But that's another story.

Yeah, I had one that kept eating the wires to the crank senser on a Jeep I had. It was a bitch to fix, and I always left half of the back of my hand hanging on the sheet metal all over that thing. Took several weeks, but I finally got the little fucker. And, I can relate to the vehicle thing. Rolling 4x4s must be a ham thing.

N2NH
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM

Best 73s

"Daylight Savings Time"

FOX NEWS LINK (http://www.foxreno.com/news/news/local/getting-ready-daylight-savings/nWjLS/)

MyFOX NY LINK (http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21434566/daylight-saving-time-2013) "Daylight Saving Time (sometimes called Daylight Savings Time) begins at 2 a.m."

X-Rated
03-07-2013, 06:46 PM
"Daylight Savings Time"

FOX NEWS LINK (http://www.foxreno.com/news/news/local/getting-ready-daylight-savings/nWjLS/)

MyFOX NY LINK (http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21434566/daylight-saving-time-2013) "Daylight Saving Time (sometimes called Daylight Savings Time) begins at 2 a.m."

Well, if Fox News says it's "Daylight Savings Time", I would have to agree with Ryan and his Fox News association and say that it is "Daylight Saving Time" because Ryan is right about it one way or another and the other way is not correct because he is right about the subject on which way it is supposed to be since there is a clear representation of that displayed here for each and every one of us to see and to agree that he is right, just and salutary on this topic and he figured out how to really baffle us into thinking maybe he didn't know when he was actually being a genius in displaying this wealth of knowledge to us through the internet.

Thanks Ryan.

kb2vxa
03-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Old American Indian saying: Only White man's government thinks cutting off the bottom of a blanket and sewing it to the top will give him a bigger blanket.

Rail fans know why this is the only working Daylight saving time, the rest can right click on the image and then on save image as to look at the file name. If I could save time in a bottle, I could save light in a box. I'd save them up in summer, let them go in winter, you see, I'm smart as a fox.

N2NH
03-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Well, if Fox News says it's "Daylight Savings Time", I would have to agree with Ryan and his Fox News association and say that it is "Daylight Saving Time" because Ryan is right...

I think that's where you lost him. If he didn't have a coronary, he probably winked out of existence...

WA4TM
03-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Has anyone noticed the clock in post #1 is going back one hour, not forward one?

N2NH
03-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Thinking of time... some timely things to think about:

http://youtu.be/TFcgW1AVkYk

kb2vxa
03-09-2013, 07:45 PM
"Has anyone noticed the clock in post #1 is going back one hour, not forward one?"

It goes forward two hours or back one and forward one depending on where the cycle actually begins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUW4wtjF2I

"That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed...! That's not fair!"
The best laid plans of mice and men...and Henry Bemis...the small man in the glasses who wanted nothing but time. Henry Bemis, now just a part of a smashed landscape, just a piece of the rubble, just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself. Mr. Henry Bemis...in the Twilight Zone.

N2NH
03-09-2013, 11:45 PM
BUMP.

KG4CGC
03-09-2013, 11:48 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/001/Spinning_Vi_zpsb4952a8a.gif

NA4BH
03-10-2013, 12:40 AM

After watching this for 15 minutes, I get your message. I now have the urge to set my clocks forward one hour.

N2NH
03-10-2013, 12:47 AM

I thought I was going colorblind for a second there...

kb2vxa
03-10-2013, 07:11 PM
You did, her B&W face takes a second to pass. Through the "windows" the inside of the opposite surface can be seen. Then comes the odd bit, on the back of her head there is another face. She is Janus' sister. In ancient Roman religion and mythology, Janus is the god of beginnings and transitions, also of gates, doors, doorways, endings and time.

WØTKX
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
http://cars-database.com/data_images/gallery/01/zundapp-janus/zundapp-janus-02.jpg

KG4CGC
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
http://cars-database.com/data_images/gallery/01/zundapp-janus/zundapp-janus-02.jpg
Now THAT'S a Key West car!

X-Rated
03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDNs6cqSjXbZfXgHn6VQ1zcfcCQr5Do aj7UAY2oWcWeSBsshVc

kb2vxa
03-11-2013, 10:57 PM
"Now THAT'S a Key West car!"

More like an Adam West car.

KC2UGV
03-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Fuck Daylight Savings Time... That's all I've got to say.