PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so little HAM RADIO talk here?

W7UUU
03-05-2013, 12:41 AM
I'm not even sure if this is close to being the right place to post... it's sorta all over the board here.

Isn't this a HAM RADIO site? Day after day I hit "new posts" and just see the same
old crap.... and I'm dead serious about "day after day" ... I just don't get it. I was
told, via PM from one of the big guys here, that this was "a real ham radio site, unlike
the other ones" .... really?

I'm not trying to stir anything up... and hell, I'm not even sure this post should go HERE
and not somewhere else.

But where in the hell is all the HAM RADIO TALK? You know, operating, contests,
antennas, building stuff, modes, etc. etc. etc.... it just seems like a place to bash
anyone who might be "politically conservative" and otherwise bitch about EVERYTHING
that has nothing to do with ham radio?

Screen cap below is like any other from any other day.... just bashing of conservatives is
mostly what I see here, among other crap.

Dave
W7UUU

KG4CGC
03-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Because we're a bunch of old farts who like to sit around and complain about politics so that we can hold off joining the OF's Medical Net.

KG4CGC
03-05-2013, 12:48 AM
BTW, I have a nerve in my back that's giving trouble.

PA5COR
03-05-2013, 03:38 AM
Put up some stuff about radio, but mostly it is anything but radio here :)

KG4CGC
03-05-2013, 03:52 AM
We're just trying to have fun. Kind of like ragchewing. Exactly like ragchewing.

kf0rt
03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
On 75 meters. :evil:

KG4CGC
03-05-2013, 06:38 AM
On 75 meters. :evil:

While drinking.

KC2UGV
03-05-2013, 07:43 AM
antennas, building stuff, modes, etc. etc. etc....

Dave
W7UUU

Feel free to post the ham radio talk, or contribute to any of the threads here: https://forums.hamisland.net/forumdisplay.php/4-Ham-Radio-amp-Technical-Discussion

Yesterday, there were at least three separate discussions about various ham radio related subjects (I only say three, because three of the forums there have a new post yesterday).

Also, there ARE a whole lot of other subjects discussed here: Home brewing, gardening, animal husbandry, sports, etc etc. And, yes, politics as well. Ham ops are not single dimension characters, who live and breathe RF :)

WX7P
03-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Feel free to post the ham radio talk, or contribute to any of the threads here: https://forums.hamisland.net/forumdisplay.php/4-Ham-Radio-amp-Technical-Discussion

Yesterday, there were at least three separate discussions about various ham radio related subjects (I only say three, because three of the forums there have a new post yesterday).

Also, there ARE a whole lot of other subjects discussed here: Home brewing, gardening, animal husbandry, sports, etc etc. And, yes, politics as well. Ham ops are not single dimension characters, who live and breathe RF :)

I agree completely with the above.

Dave, you obviously missed the zed back in the old days when it was nothing but bircher speak in just about every forum. Even with their no politics, guns, CB or 313 talk, that stuff STILL manages to sneak in.

As for the poor little delicate conservatives, they can take care of themselves.

NQ6U
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I just started a new thread in the Antennas section with a picture of the antenna I built for Field Day. But, in any case, even the political stuff on the Island frequently has a ham radio slant to it. Jokes and references are made that only other hams would get. We may strongly disagree when it comes to political issues but we all share one abiding interest, and that's radio.

X-Rated
03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm not even sure if this is close to being the right place to post... it's sorta all over the board here.

Isn't this a HAM RADIO site? Day after day I hit "new posts" and just see the same
old crap.... and I'm dead serious about "day after day" ... I just don't get it. I was
told, via PM from one of the big guys here, that this was "a real ham radio site, unlike
the other ones" .... really?

I'm not trying to stir anything up... and hell, I'm not even sure this post should go HERE
and not somewhere else.

antennas, building stuff, modes, etc. etc. etc.... it just seems like a place to bash
anyone who might be "politically conservative" and otherwise bitch about EVERYTHING
that has nothing to do with ham radio?

Screen cap below is like any other from any other day.... just bashing of conservatives is
mostly what I see here, among other crap.

Dave
W7UUU

Every day, there are hours of thoughts that I have that surround ham radio and how to make it work better for me. Right now, I am trying to find a cheaper place to live. So there are a lot of things going on in my life besides ham radio. However, the end game is...Ham radio.

If I find a place to live with less nuclear contamination than another place, I can live to ham radio more. If I can plant gardens more efficiently, I can have more money for ham radio. If I can keep someone from blowing my head off with a gun, I can ham radio more. If I can keep politicians who look out for the regular man, ham radio will remain legal for me to use longer. Everything revolves around ham radio. Some people have been fortunate to get what they want when they want. That is not all of us.

Also we are all friends here who have been hanging for many years. I have made eyeball qsos and radio qsos with several on here. These are a great bunch of hams for me. But it's not for everyone. Many have come and gone long ago of their own volition. You seem bothered by the exchanges here and maybe there are places you would enjoy moreso. I really don't know you that well to state with certainty one way or another. For me, I would have difficulty getting involved in a discussion where we set our FT-DX9000 on the bench next to my Icom IC-7800 because I have neither. Never have been able to swing the cost of a tower. Never have been able to justify the cost of an HF amplifier. I am really boring when it comes to radio. I spent time with the kids when they grew up and shelved radio a lot and now I try to spend time with the grandkids. These things do not lend themselves to the discussions on Yagi gain, but they are things we do discuss here.

I hope this is a place people enjoy. I am on many different Yahoo groups. The discussions are very limited to the specific area that the group was formed for. Maybe this is what you are looking for. I don't see how this place intends to compete with those areas because you can be banned for bringing up metal detectors in a radio group. I have been banned for staying on topic but finding solutions outside the box in some Yahoo groups. Here you know the people in the discussion whereas in Yahoo groups, there is no opportunity to get to know people or to let others know you lest you be damned for trying. If N1LAF wanted to tell me things about microcomputers or microprocessors, I would follow him over a cliff listening to what he had to say. Wen he talks about politics, it is quite another story.

This is life here. We discuss our lives and we know where the others are coming. To us, there is so much to talk about. How much can we talk about PSK-31? I totally enjoy the art of frequency measurement and enjoy the Yahoo group FMT Nuts. No one else here wants to hear about that. Who, besides me, cares about measuring a frequency to within 1x10-9 of the national standards? Very few indeed. But I have put that out there and the topic bombed on its own. I may or not put it out there again.

By keeping the forum open to many topics, the forum has flourished for years. We know we can go here to see what is going on. If the topics were limited as other forums are designed, the discussions wain and the posters will check in less often. Eventually, this can mean the death of a forum.

Is it broke? Does it need fixed?

W7UUU
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Lots of good comments and replies.... thanks to all for taking the time.

Dave
W7UUU

X-Rated
03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Dave,

I have done some looking at threads...

ARRL DX SSB in less than 11 hours. Let the kvetching begin!
The next best-kept test equipment series
SATELLITES AND EXTREME SNOW FORTS - No replies from anyone.
An excellent soldering/desoldering tutorial
Amateur transmit audio equalizer software
HF station monitor
Favorite Frequencies ???
Are you Radio Active?
Antenna survey
FD antenna
My Shure 55SW Adventure
Anyone want a Raspberry Pi?

These are ham radio related threads that you have had no input. One in the list has had no reply at all and I pointed it out. Even though there is a lot of stuff on here that is not directly related to ham radio, there is a fair amount that is and you are not anywhere to be seen in any of these discussions listed above. I know for a fact that I am not on all of them but I am at least on some of them. If there is a radio related topic that interests me, I float it out there like many do. What do you want to talk about? There are usually a few who will chime in on almost any topic here if you don't see something you want to create exchanges on. Give that a try because I am not certain what you are really looking for.

K7SGJ
03-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Dave,

I have done some looking at threads...

ARRL DX SSB in less than 11 hours. Let the kvetching begin!
The next best-kept test equipment series
SATELLITES AND EXTREME SNOW FORTS - No replies from anyone.
An excellent soldering/desoldering tutorial
Amateur transmit audio equalizer software
HF station monitor
Favorite Frequencies ???
Are you Radio Active?
Antenna survey
FD antenna
My Shure 55SW Adventure
Anyone want a Raspberry Pi?

These are ham radio related threads that you have had no input. One in the list has had no reply at all and I pointed it out. Even though there is a lot of stuff on here that is not directly related to ham radio, there is a fair amount that is and you are not anywhere to be seen in any of these discussions listed above. I know for a fact that I am not on all of them but I am at least on some of them. If there is a radio related topic that interests me, I float it out there like many do. What do you want to talk about? There are usually a few who will chime in on almost any topic here if you don't see something you want to create exchanges on. Give that a try because I am not certain what you are really looking for.

And don't forget the deer feeder thingy.

N8YX
03-05-2013, 05:01 PM
And don't forget the deer feeder thingy.

And the 14.313 thingy.

This site is what we all make of it. I like talking about technical stuff but I'm also multi-dimensional.

Start a topic. See what responses you get.

FWIW, I talk "technology" all day long at my place of employment. Sometimes, that's the last thing I want to do when arriving home afterward.

KG4CGC
03-05-2013, 05:04 PM
And the 14.313 thingy.

This site is what we all make of it. I like talking about technical stuff but I'm also multi-dimensional.

Start a topic. See what responses you get.

FWIW, I talk "technology" all day long at my place of employment. Sometimes, that's the last thing I want to do when arriving home afterward.

Emphasis mine.
Even so, Fred is a stand up guy who will help you out step by step over the phone. Salt of the Earth.

VK3ZL
03-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Hey, I always have an amplifier or something in Homebrew...Probably getting old hat though as most of them are on the same theme...Perhaps I can come up with a new color scheme or whatever...Currently working on a 6 meter GI-46B prototype..

Bob..VK3ZL..

NQ6U
03-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey, I always have an amplifier or something in Homebrew...Probably getting old hat though as most of them are on the same theme...Perhaps I can come up with a new color scheme or whatever...Currently working on a 6 meter GI-46B prototype..

Bob..VK3ZL..

The only reason it might be getting old is that we're all running out of new ways of saying "that's a beautiful piece of work, Bob!"

K7SGJ
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Bob..VK3ZL..

I don't ever get tired of looking at your work, Bob. The level of artistry never ceases to amaze me.

N8YX
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't ever get tired of looking at your work, Bob. The level of artistry never ceases to amaze me.

Gets my vote as well. Keep 'em coming.

WX7P
03-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Bob..VK3ZL..

Yep, you're boring, Bob. :lol: Just like YX.

I've been a ham for a long time, but my interests (globally) lie elsewhere and I'm not a technical person. I love to operate. I don't have the skill set that you guys have. It's always really impressive to see what you can do.

WØTKX
03-05-2013, 08:35 PM

It's nice to come home and freakin' DO something, instead of talking about it, eh? :agree:

n6hcm
03-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Is it broke? Does it need fixed?

no, and no.

while this is a ham radio community, it is a community first and we have interests all over the map. even thought i've earned my general i've never been on hf because i'm too busy with my startup-type job at an atypical non-startup place ... and grad school on top of that ... and, lately, old fart health complications on top of that.

i can beat ham radio to death anywhere. i can beat it to death here with people i enjoy.

hillary was right when she said "it takes a village ... " this is my village.

KG4CGC
03-06-2013, 04:11 AM
no, and no.

while this is a ham radio community, it is a community first and we have interests all over the map. even thought i've earned my general i've never been on hf because i'm too busy with my startup-type job at an atypical non-startup place ... and grad school on top of that ... and, lately, old fart health complications on top of that.

i can beat ham radio to death anywhere. i can beat it to death here with people i enjoy.

hillary was right when she said "it takes a village ... " this is my village.
Daaamn right!
This is my village, Hamis Land.

W7XF
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Just think...you can talk about things on Ham Island that would get you a Laura-gram on the air.

N8YX
03-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Over in the "Favorite frequency?" thread there's a bit of a discussion regarding homebrew CW transmitters and how to get the components needed for one.

I once promised a 10.140MHz rock to Kelli (KKM) and another to the originator of this thread for use in a project he was constructing.

Hmmm...shall we make 10.140 the official 30M "Island calling frequency"? And one wonders what it would take to make a rock-bound CW transmitter talk PSK31... :chin:

NQ6U
03-09-2013, 10:37 AM
And one wonders what it would take to make a rock-bound CW transmitter talk PSK31... :chin:

A balanced modulator and some filtering, among other things.

KC2UGV
03-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Over in the "Favorite frequency?" thread there's a bit of a discussion regarding homebrew CW transmitters and how to get the components needed for one.

I once promised a 10.140MHz rock to Kelli (KKM) and another to the originator of this thread for use in a project he was constructing.

Hmmm...shall we make 10.140 the official 30M "Island calling frequency"? And one wonders what it would take to make a rock-bound CW transmitter talk PSK31... :chin:

I would think it would just need the shift keyer on the oscillator circuit, to bump it down (Or up) by 30hz. I've been working on a Pixie to PSK conversion. Not going to quickly, though.

WØTKX
03-09-2013, 03:40 PM
http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/PSKTX/SIMPLEPSKTX.HTM

W2NAP
03-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Well I got a repeater... which kinda turned into a Island calling...no wait more like ragchew frequency for awhile..

then shit happened. no echolink.. then had to move repeater. and where its at now no internet. so. to even think of bringing echolink back id have to find a site for it find a computer for it find an interface and find a 2 meter rig... to much work well not to much work but to much money for me.

VE7DCW
03-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Well I got a repeater... which kinda turned into a Island calling...no wait more like ragchew frequency for awhile..

then shit happened. no echolink.. then had to move repeater. and where its at now no internet. so. to even think of bringing echolink back id have to find a site for it find a computer for it find an interface and find a 2 meter rig... to much work well not to much work but to much money for me.

Tony we'll have to wait....... :-D

N2CHX
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
I'm thinking an Island Echolink node/repeater would be an excellent Raspberry Pi project. Something I may work in my nearly non-existent spare time.

KC2UGV
03-21-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm thinking an Island Echolink node/repeater would be an excellent Raspberry Pi project. Something I may work in my nearly non-existent spare time.

I don't know about the Rasberry Pi, due to the massive audio working required. Possibly, one of those single board ARMs would work better.

N2CHX
03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't know about the Rasberry Pi, due to the massive audio working required. Possibly, one of those single board ARMs would work better.

Ummm... That's pretty much what the Pi is, plus it already has audio (output) onboard. What makes you think they wouldn't work for audio? They pretty much already have everything on board that you need. Add audio input if you want to connect to a radio (easily done, I've already done it with a six dollar dongle) and it has more GPIO than you'd ever want, plus networking already on board, USB ports.... I've been working quite a bit with the Pi, and using it for a commercial audio application. Have you ever played with one?

KC2UGV
03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Ummm... That's pretty much what the Pi is, plus it already has audio (output) onboard. What makes you think they wouldn't work for audio? They pretty much already have everything on board that you need. Add audio input if you want to connect to a radio (easily done, I've already done it with a six dollar dongle) and it has more GPIO than you'd ever want, plus networking already on board, USB ports.... I've been working quite a bit with the Pi, and using it for a commercial audio application. Have you ever played with one?

Because it's an older ARM, and doesn't do FFT's very well (Needed for codec work). The newer A9's are able to handle it pretty well, plus they have more memory to work with.

But, if you have a Pi, go for it. Worst that would happen is the choppy audio.

And, yes, I have. Tried loading I2P on it (It works), and it was exceptionally slow due to the slow proc, and low RAM.

N2CHX
03-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Because it's an older ARM, and doesn't do FFT's very well (Needed for codec work). The newer A9's are able to handle it pretty well, plus they have more memory to work with.

But, if you have a Pi, go for it. Worst that would happen is the choppy audio.

And, yes, I have. Tried loading I2P on it (It works), and it was exceptionally slow due to the slow proc, and low RAM.

It handles FFT just fine. I can encode and decode a 128 kBit stereo audio stream simultaneously on it with no issues, plus run several other services like Apache, FTP and SSH in the background. Did you compile your own kernel?

NQ6U
03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Did you compile your own kernel?

I love it when you talk dirty nerdy!

KC2UGV
03-21-2013, 11:00 AM
It handles FFT just fine. I can encode and decode a 128 kBit stereo audio stream simultaneously on it with no issues, plus run several other services like Apache, FTP and SSH in the background. Did you compile your own kernel?

Yes, had to in order to get I2P to run.

Yes, the Pi can decode and encore a single 128kbit stream with no issues. However, can it handle multiple streams (Many users connected, plug the stream for the actual radio)? It will struggle quite a bit, and you'll get choppy audio with more than a couple of users is my point.

If you already have one: Go for it. If you don't have one, I would recommend the newer A9 SBC's is my point here :)

N2CHX
03-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes, had to in order to get I2P to run.

Yes, the Pi can decode and encore a single 128kbit stream with no issues. However, can it handle multiple streams (Many users connected, plug the stream for the actual radio)? It will struggle quite a bit, and you'll get choppy audio with more than a couple of users is my point.

If you already have one: Go for it. If you don't have one, I would recommend the newer A9 SBC's is my point here :)

The encoding process is what is CPU intensive. Adding client connections to a TCP/IP bit stream uses very little in the way of resources. So what did your recompiled kernel fix?

KC2UGV
03-21-2013, 12:01 PM
The encoding process is what is CPU intensive. Adding client connections to a TCP/IP bit stream uses very little in the way of resources. So what did your recompiled kernel fix?

The application I was working on added jbigi support to the kernel.

And, yes, the encoding is what is intensive. And, each channel requires a encode/decode; and then a mix, and then encode. Even the TCP/IP audio channels.

But, again: Go for it if you have one already. If not, I would suggest paying $15 more for an ARM A9 SBC.

N2CHX
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
The application I was working on added jbigi support to the kernel.

Well, that would explain why you think the CPU wouldn't be able to handle encoding audio. By default, the Pi ships with a kernel that does not support the floating point function built into the CPU. FFT requires intense floating point operations that without a CPU function for it, requires the software to handle it, which increases CPU load by an order of magnitude when dealing with audio encoding. If you want to do anything with audio, it's a necessity to compile your own kernel with the FP option enabled.

And, yes, the encoding is what is intensive. And, each channel requires a encode/decode; and then a mix, and then encode. Even the TCP/IP audio channels.

For what application, specifically?

But, again: Go for it if you have one already. If not, I would suggest paying $15 more for an ARM A9 SBC.

This entire argument is moot anyway, because Echolink is so fucking lame there isn't even a port for Linux and I'm not about to try to get any version of Microshit to work on an Arm minicomputer.

W2NAP
03-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Tony we'll have to wait....... :-D

Might be waiting a long long time.

Repeater is only up right now at a temp site. with a loaner antenna and feedline.

shit costs way to much. very disappointed. honestly getting tempted to just sell everything and walk away from da hobby.

N8YX
03-22-2013, 04:43 AM
Repeater is only up right now at a temp site. with a loaner antenna and feedline.

I think I have a Diamond 2M vertical stashed around here somewhere which would work for that setup. How much coax do you need?

W2NAP
03-22-2013, 05:11 AM
I think I have a Diamond 2M vertical stashed around here somewhere which would work for that setup. How much coax do you need?

Depends on where the perm. site will end up. Finding Most places are not ham friendly Buildings wont even talk. commercial sites ether say fuck off or we want 1k a month (then I tell them to piss off knowing the price is way out of line). I know a couple Radio Stations I could contact. but if one of them said yes. were talking 1-5/8" heliax 350-500ft of it + connectors + commerical tower climber.

Key for me is getting naptown In with good solid coverage. which will take at least 400' here to do. or moving the whole damn thing to Indy. but elev drops off a lot down there so in Indy were talking 700'+

Pretty much without Indy I get no users thus no donations.

W3WN
03-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Depends on where the perm. site will end up. Finding Most places are not ham friendly Buildings wont even talk. commercial sites ether say fuck off or we want 1k a month (then I tell them to piss off knowing the price is way out of line). I know a couple Radio Stations I could contact. but if one of them said yes. were talking 1-5/8" heliax 350-500ft of it + connectors + commerical tower climber.

Key for me is getting naptown In with good solid coverage. which will take at least 400' here to do. or moving the whole damn thing to Indy. but elev drops off a lot down there so in Indy were talking 700'+

Pretty much without Indy I get no users thus no donations.Check with a local hospital. Some are very willing, as the WASH club has just found out.

Also, before you talk with the radio stations management, talk with their Chief Engineer (or the contractor they use to fill the role). Quite a few of these guys (and gals) ARE hams, and they might be accomodating. Ditto the TV stations as well. The deal we have for free use of the WPGH-TV53 site (which we 'took over' from the now defunct WPa DX Association) only obligates us to a share of the cost of the tower climbers, if we need anything done, so long as we coordinate with their routine maintenance.

And, if we ever abandon the site (and this is why we're going to leave the 442.55 machine in place, when we move 146.955 back south), we're on the hook for the costs of removing the antenna -- again, to be coordinated.
[The CE at the time that the DXA got this deal? AD8J -- an officer of the WPaDXA]

WØTKX
03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Any grain elevators or silos near by?

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 11:02 AM

This one is available:

http://www.cheadlealberta.com/images/Grain_Elevator.jpg

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Lots of areas have abandoned smoke stacks. I dunno if anyone could get permission to get onto one of those with a solar powered repeater.

W2NAP
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Check with a local hospital. Some are very willing, as the WASH club has just found out.

Also, before you talk with the radio stations management, talk with their Chief Engineer (or the contractor they use to fill the role). Quite a few of these guys (and gals) ARE hams, and they might be accomodating. Ditto the TV stations as well. The deal we have for free use of the WPGH-TV53 site (which we 'took over' from the now defunct WPa DX Association) only obligates us to a share of the cost of the tower climbers, if we need anything done, so long as we coordinate with their routine maintenance.

And, if we ever abandon the site (and this is why we're going to leave the 442.55 machine in place, when we move 146.955 back south), we're on the hook for the costs of removing the antenna -- again, to be coordinated.
[The CE at the time that the DXA got this deal? AD8J -- an officer of the WPaDXA]

2 hospitals. 1 already got a repeater on it. 2nd one gave up on them awhile back. could never seems to find the person to talk to kept getting passed on to someone else who passed it on to someone else.

I actually had permission to put it on the tallest building downtown. which would have gave me 180ft. (still wouldnt of brought in Indy Metro cept the n.e. side.) But as I got things going the building closed down and got boarded up. it just recently sold in tax sale however the guy is another greedmister and will want big money so thats out.

As for the radio stations I havent talked to them for the fact if they say yes the money to do it just aint there. I dont have several thousand to dump in heliax and a climber.

as for smoke stacks. nope. only one left is from a old fact. which is tore down and stack will come down sometime this year.

Gain bins. there is a couple. but they wont get the hieght needed to bring in indy metro. Without Indy metro ill never get the users which means ill never get money backing. and if I moved to Indy (had a offer on a 250ft tower in Indy) low level will never make it to the empire thus I wouldnt even be able to hear it let alone use it. so its a real catch 22

really should have done this shit 10 years ago when I had money. before everything went to shit with no hope of recovery

K7SGJ
03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
This one is available:

http://www.cheadlealberta.com/images/Grain_Elevator.jpg

Nuthin wrong with that. The only thing I see wrong is it might need a little paint.

KC2UGV
03-23-2013, 08:58 AM
2 hospitals. 1 already got a repeater on it. 2nd one gave up on them awhile back. could never seems to find the person to talk to kept getting passed on to someone else who passed it on to someone else.

I actually had permission to put it on the tallest building downtown. which would have gave me 180ft. (still wouldnt of brought in Indy Metro cept the n.e. side.) But as I got things going the building closed down and got boarded up. it just recently sold in tax sale however the guy is another greedmister and will want big money so thats out.

As for the radio stations I havent talked to them for the fact if they say yes the money to do it just aint there. I dont have several thousand to dump in heliax and a climber.

as for smoke stacks. nope. only one left is from a old fact. which is tore down and stack will come down sometime this year.

Gain bins. there is a couple. but they wont get the hieght needed to bring in indy metro. Without Indy metro ill never get the users which means ill never get money backing. and if I moved to Indy (had a offer on a 250ft tower in Indy) low level will never make it to the empire thus I wouldnt even be able to hear it let alone use it. so its a real catch 22

really should have done this shit 10 years ago when I had money. before everything went to shit with no hope of recovery

How about a distributed, linked, repeater system?

KC2UGV
03-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Nuthin wrong with that. The only thing I see wrong is it might need a little paint.

Needs some repointing of the foundation's masonry too. Maybe a couple new shingles.

W3WN
03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
< snip >
< snip >Understood. Still, at least have an informal chat with the CE. Especially if they're a ham. You might find that having someone on the "inside" may help alleviate, or even waive, some of those costs.

Besides, what's the worst that can happen? They say no? You're no worse off.

W3WN
03-23-2013, 03:28 PM
And since the thread is about repeater systems... a momentary tangent, if I may...

If anyone knows of working repeaters that are no longer active & for sale, let me know via PM.

Assuming the deal with the local hospital gets consummated, well, it would be easier to put up a "new" 2 meter machine there, and simply turn off the original one (keeping it at the current site as an emergency backup) than to yank everything apart. We're already budgeting money for a new controller (neccesary since the 2 M & 70 cm machines share one right now), so if something used became available at the right price...

... of course, outright donations are nice too, but that's hoping for too much...

Like I said, PM me (or we'll start a new thread), I don't want to hijack (hi, Jack!) this one any further.

X-Rated
03-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Needs some repointing of the foundation's masonry too. Maybe a couple new shingles.

I think it's just repeatered out.

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I think it's just repeatered out.

It wouldn't have if he would have just followed in mitracs.

AE1PT
03-24-2013, 11:18 PM
This is an amateur radio forum? I am so out of here.

I was told that it was a schizophrenia support group.

K7SGJ
03-24-2013, 11:24 PM

Sorry you were misled. Maybe a few of those guys following you can help you out.

NQ6U
03-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Did the voices tell you that?

WØTKX
03-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Smokin' acid core solder again, I guess.

K7SGJ
03-25-2013, 02:08 PM
I think he is busy perusing his March copy Solder Life. This months fold out is obviously, misled.

WX7P
03-25-2013, 02:26 PM
I just got my copy of "Solder of Fortune". I'm reading the ads for jobs in the resin industry.

NQ6U
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
I think he is busy perusing his March copy Solder Life. This months fold out is obviously, misled.

I just got my copy of "Solder of Fortune". I'm reading the ads for jobs in the resin industry.

These comments belong in the Solder Gun thread. Any further postings of this sort outside that thread will result in a flaming bag of dog poop on your front porch.

K7SGJ
03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
These comments belong in the Solder Gun thread. Any further postings of this sort outside that thread will result in a flaming bag of dog poop on your front porch.

Hmmm. What species?

NQ6U
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Hmmm. What species?

There's only one species of the creature commonly called a dog. Many different breeds, but they're all the same species: Canis lupus familiaris.

K7SGJ
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Hey, hey, HEY, watch your mouth. Your supposed to be a holy man. Canis lupus familiaris, indeed.

NA4BH
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Doggy style.

K7SGJ
03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
There's only one species of the creature commonly called a dog. Many different breeds, but they're all the same species: Canis lupus familiaris.

Actually, I wanted to know what species of flaming bag.

NQ6U
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM

The infamous brunneis paper sacculo

AE1PT
03-25-2013, 07:19 PM
The dog is a remarkable creature, and is worth studying.

It is the only animal on the face of the earth that you can feed one half pound of food to--and it will produce three pounds of shit.

Amazing.

Even I know enough to stay as far away from that line as possible. Ginormous too much trouble to be had there...

W7XF
03-31-2013, 04:08 PM
...as I sit here scraping the rosin out of my solder to rosin my fiddle's bow... :boohoo:

K7SGJ
03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
...as I sit here scraping the rosin out of my solder to rosin my fiddle's bow... :boohoo:

Sounds a little like Cherokee Fiddle.

W2NAP
04-07-2013, 03:46 AM
How about a distributed, linked, repeater system?

if I had money for that. I wouldnt be in the situation I am in now.

I am far far far below the hole.