PDA

View Full Version : In planning for the future (radio future that is, mine).

KB3LAZ
03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
While sitting here planning for my future setup and activities I have come to the conclusion that I may take a bit of a different route once arriving home.

Have been looking at the possibility of a 60 foot free standing tower, either two beams for 10-20 (10/15/20 and 12/17) or one beam that does all of the listed bands. As well as one vertical and an array of wires is always needed (those I already have). VHF/UHF is of little importance to me other than for rare chit chat locally so those can stay on the roof mount.

I have also been reading up on diversity receive but that is another story. Which leads me to my change. Before I was about 99% ragchew, however I am thinking of chasing some paper or at least contesting 50% of the time. Figured I would start small with some weekend contesting as well as working on a general WAS. When looking into WAS I see there are endorsements such as QRP and single band. If I understand correctly I think you can mix endorsements. Example: Single band QRP WAS. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, when looking at the ARRL site I have come to the conclusion that I will have a lot of reading to do. Not only are there a lot of general rules but there are a lot of contest specific rules as well. Not to mention the application process. Bleh, talk about dumbfounded. Which brings me to my point, any suggested reading? Like, contesting rules and regulations for dummies? :P Seriously, I assume that it is not all that bad when taken one step at a time but trying to take in everything I could in one day made me look and say "huh".

Example: I was looking at WAC and DXCC. From the wording of one or the other (I dont remember which) I have come to the conclusion that you need to work your stations on a mix of 5 bands. However, I am unsure if this is for DXCC in general if if there is a 5 band DXCC. Also, what I can not figure out is, do you need to work each entity one time on each band or does it just mean that you are limited to those five bands and must work the entity in one of said bands one time?

For the WAC, I realize that you have to work each continent and I do believe that you have to do so one time on each band. I could be getting that incorrect though.

As I said, any suggested reading? I need something to read to kill spare time anyway. I have probably 5-6 months before getting home and another 3 months or so before I will be setup to bother with contesting at all.

KJ3N
03-04-2013, 04:56 PM
There are WAS categories all over the place. The basic WAS would be Mixed. Doesn't matter what mode, power level, or band.

After that, you have all the other categories. 5BWAS, etc.

http://www.arrl.org/was

As to DXCC, you can do it single band, or multiple bands, or all 5 bands. Just like WAS.

In any case, most people start out with the basic awards. These can be any combination of SSB, CW, PSK, etc., and any combination of bands.

I've never heard of any requirement to do WAC by each and every band, but then I've never paid that much attention to that one.

KB3LAZ
03-04-2013, 05:05 PM
There are WAS categories all over the place. The basic WAS would be Mixed. Doesn't matter what mode, power level, or band.

After that, you have all the other categories. 5BWAS, etc.

http://www.arrl.org/was

As to DXCC, you can do it single band, or multiple bands, or all 5 bands. Just like WAS.

In any case, most people start out with the basic awards. These can be any combination of SSB, CW, PSK, etc., and any combination of bands.

Okay, so then I think I was understanding right. It can be a combination of modes or bands, any combination rather. IE: I could work 90% SSB on one band and get the other MISC contacts on a mixture if I so wish. I was just unsure if you had to work the same entity over again on each of the 5 bands for the 5 band awards.

Thanks for the link, read it earlier. The WAS seems to be more straight forward. I figure that is a good starting point. I see there are other contests as well that are interesting.

I would like to do a lot of QRP but will not limit myself to only Qrp for the time being.

Thanks for the breakdown.

KJ3N
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
WAS and DXCC are the "easy ones" in the sense that you can get the baseline award with any combination. It could be 35 states on phone and 15 states on CW, across 6 bands, to qualify for basic WAS.

If you can manage to work both the SSB & CW Sweepstakes in November (and you manage a Clean Sweep in both), you would have WAS for 2 different modes.

K7SGJ
03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
If you are interested, I heard that QRZ is going to have another ARRL sanctioned contest.

The WAT (Worked All Trolls) is to be held the 5th Sunday after Field Day. It's doubful any paper will ever be issued since every day, a shit load of new trolls turn up over there, and there is no way to work them all..

KB3LAZ
03-05-2013, 06:40 AM
If you are interested, I heard that QRZ is going to have another ARRL sanctioned contest.

The WAT (Worked All Trolls) is to be held the 5th Sunday after Field Day. It's doubful any paper will ever be issued since every day, a shit load of new trolls turn up over there, and there is no way to work them all..

Heh, not what I had in mind.

W3WN
03-05-2013, 08:48 AM

The WAT (Worked All Trolls) is to be held the 5th Sunday after Field Day. It's doubful any paper will ever be issued since every day, a shit load of new trolls turn up over there, and there is no way to work them all..I hear that several ex-Islanders are going to be in charge of WAT. I think it's pretty obvious who they are, so I won't mention calls... :whistle:

W3WN
03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
< snip >
Figured I would start small with some weekend contesting as well as working on a general WAS. When looking into WAS I see there are endorsements such as QRP and single band. If I understand correctly I think you can mix endorsements. Example: Single band QRP WAS. Correct me if I am wrong.
< snip >
Example: I was looking at WAC and DXCC. From the wording of one or the other (I dont remember which) I have come to the conclusion that you need to work your stations on a mix of 5 bands. However, I am unsure if this is for DXCC in general if if there is a 5 band DXCC. Also, what I can not figure out is, do you need to work each entity one time on each band or does it just mean that you are limited to those five bands and must work the entity in one of said bands one time?
< snip >Trav,

All of these awards start with a "general" or "mixed" category. It doesn't matter what mix of bands or modes you use to get the initial WAS, WAC, and/or DXCC.

Now this is not to say that you can't do "double duty". My first WAS was also endorsed 40 Meters SSB (my second 80 SSB... almost hard to believe today that I did so little CW back in those days, but I digress). My first DXCC did "triple duty" as Mixed, SSB Only, and 10 Meter Only. (My second was CW Only & 30 Meters)

So don't sweat the small stuff. If you prefer to wait until you have a single band/mode complete before submitting, then do it. You don't have to, from the standpoint of the award themselves, but you can.

... you know, you reminded me. I know I have a WAC sitting in the filing cabinet, SSB only I believe. I really should put in for my CW Only & 5 Band WAC...

Anyway, if you have a specific question, feel free to PM me at any time. I might even answer you... :evil:

KB3LAZ
03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Trav,

All of these awards start with a "general" or "mixed" category. It doesn't matter what mix of bands or modes you use to get the initial WAS, WAC, and/or DXCC.

Now this is not to say that you can't do "double duty". My first WAS was also endorsed 40 Meters SSB (my second 80 SSB... almost hard to believe today that I did so little CW back in those days, but I digress). My first DXCC did "triple duty" as Mixed, SSB Only, and 10 Meter Only. (My second was CW Only & 30 Meters)

So don't sweat the small stuff. If you prefer to wait until you have a single band/mode complete before submitting, then do it. You don't have to, from the standpoint of the award themselves, but you can.

... you know, you reminded me. I know I have a WAC sitting in the filing cabinet, SSB only I believe. I really should put in for my CW Only & 5 Band WAC...

Anyway, if you have a specific question, feel free to PM me at any time. I might even answer you... :evil:

Thank you. I was thinking that a general WAS would be a good start. After that I was thinking something like Single band, QRP, SSB. That may take a bit longer. :D

KJ3N
03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Thank you. I was thinking that a general WAS would be a good start. After that I was thinking something like Single band, QRP, SSB. That may take a bit longer. :D

I did 75m DXCC (worked, not all confirmed) in less than 365 days while holding down a normal 40hr-a-week job.

A general WAS shouldn't take much more than that. ;)

KB3LAZ
03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
I did 75m DXCC (worked, not all confirmed) in less than 365 days while holding down a normal 40hr-a-week job.

A general WAS shouldn't take much more than that. ;)

Sounds like a good learning experience and practice. Though, I likely will not play more than an hour a day per preference. IE: An hour of ragchew and an hour of "hunting" (be it DX or local).

KJ3N
03-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a good learning experience and practice. Though, I likely will not play more than an hour a day per preference. IE: An hour of ragchew and an hour of "hunting" (be it DX or local).

Think you can find 150 hours in a year to operate? ;)

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?228104-Cluster-Abuse&p=1790059#post1790059

KB3LAZ
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Think you can find 150 hours in a year to operate? ;)

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?228104-Cluster-Abuse&p=1790059#post1790059

Yep. About twice the amount of time, in fact.

W3WN
03-05-2013, 10:45 PM

A general WAS shouldn't take much more than that. ;)You can do a WAS in 30 hours or less. Especially on the 1st & 3rd full weekends in November. As a bonus... does RAC still offer the old WAVE or WACAN awards, or equivalent?

KJ3N
03-05-2013, 11:00 PM
You can do a WAS in 30 hours or less.

Clean Sweep for SS SSB last year = 21 hours.

Log actually submitted and mug requested.