PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jeff Bush

X-Rated
03-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/03/search-called-off-for-jeff-bush_n_2800874.html)

Fla. -- Crews on Sunday razed more than half of the Tampa-area home perched over a huge sinkhole that swallowed a man three days ago, managing to salvage some keepsakes for family members who lived there.

KG4CGC
03-03-2013, 11:41 PM
And I feel bad for his brother too. He swore he could hear him as he was looking for him.

NQ6U
03-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Imagine: You are laying in bed thinking you're about as safe as it is possible to be. Then the earth opens up beneath and swallows you up.

NA4BH
03-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Sandworms

VE7DCW
03-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Death by sink hole......... it does have a creepy horror movie feel to it! :shock:

KK4AMI
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
It was hard to believe that it picked one bedroom out of a house and that his body is not recoverable. Sounds like some superior entity had it in for him.

N2NH
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
It was hard to believe that it picked one bedroom out of a house and that his body is not recoverable. Sounds like some superior entity had it in for him.

Yeh, I kinda was expecting to hear that, and that is a possibility. I was in church yesterday and mentioned that despite that, judgment is not really up to us. It really could've just been his time to go and he just went with a bang.

KØWVM
03-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Have an old HS friend that has been posting some updates on FB about what's going on. She lives a little less than a block from that home... Told her she may want to see how stable the foundation of her home is since she doesn't live that far away. They are not going to recover the body based on what she is hearing. They will cover the hole and it will be his tomb since the safety risks outweigh the possibilities of recovering his body.

N7YA
03-05-2013, 03:19 AM
That particular county has recorded over 500 sinkholes over the years. Thats why housing is so affordable in that county. No matter what, thats a terrible thing for everyone involved...living and dead. Thats no way to go out.

KG4CGC
03-05-2013, 04:04 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to build a frame over the ground that would float when the ground gave way to water? Some type of lightweight metal that is coated with enough styrofoam and air pockets to keep it afloat. Hopefully it would prevent the floor from breaking and push the building back up when the ground breaks and it hits water.
Sure, there would be some damage but the idea is to keep the floors/wall/roof intact and above water. People would either have a chance to get out on more solid ground or be able to wait for rescue. It also needs to be inexpensive enough to be affordable but we all know in these times, the people living there likely wouldn't be able to afford it. We have corporate welfare. Why not use some welfare for this? It would also make for great scientific study.

KK4AMI
03-05-2013, 06:51 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to build a frame over the ground that would float when the ground gave way to water? Some type of lightweight metal that is coated with enough styrofoam and air pockets to keep it afloat. Hopefully it would prevent the floor from breaking and push the building back up when the ground breaks and it hits water.
Sure, there would be some damage but the idea is to keep the floors/wall/roof intact and above water. People would either have a chance to get out on more solid ground or be able to wait for rescue. It also needs to be inexpensive enough to be affordable but we all know in these times, the people living there likely wouldn't be able to afford it. We have corporate welfare. Why not use some welfare for this? It would also make for great scientific study.

I was thinking the same, but with more red neck logic. Like put your mattress in a 12 ft aluminum fishing boat or sleep on a king size air mattress? Suspend your bed from the ceiling on ropes, etc.

X-Rated
03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I was thinking the same, but with more red neck logic. Like put your mattress in a 12 ft aluminum fishing boat or sleep on a king size air mattress? Suspend your bed from the ceiling on ropes, etc.

That is a really great idea. It would have worked in this case, however I can see it not working in all cases, it would improve the odds.