PDA

View Full Version : Whose planting this year?

KC2UGV
03-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Inspired in part by Mike's post (I'm going to be a daddy), who is getting ready to plant stuff this year? What kind of plot do you have? What are you planning to grow?

In an urban area, but with a sizeable lot, but right now, only sticking with two 4'x4' raised beds, to get my feet wet. We're planning on expanding to two more beds next year, and adding two chickens; but just the 2 beds for now.

We're planning out sugar snaps, spinach, lettuces, sweet peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, and filling in the rest with whatever we'd be able to decide on. Got a couple of weeks before the first stuff goes in (Potatoes).

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
We will do the usual; tomatoes, jalapenos, Serrano's, problamos, lotsa basil, rosemary, carrots, onions, squash, watermelon, some sunflowers, maybe some corn, and stuff like that. In fact, we should be geting the bedding plants started soon. Hopefully, next year I'll have time to prepare a half to a whole acre to plant. It will take awhile with the ground being so nasty out here. I am sure I'll wear out at least one set of rippers on the tractor in the process.

NQ6U
03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
That's "Who's planting this year", you linguistic philistine. ;)

WX7P
03-02-2013, 08:51 PM

BUSTED by the Pope police.

Anyway, the garden is not my thing, Sarah is going to plant something as soon as she figures out what grows well here besides corn and soybeans. I've seen a lot of signs for heirloom tomato seeds. I'd love it if we could grow those.

Tasty...

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Give him a break. He missed out on that. They didn't cover who's and whose until third grade.

NA4BH
03-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Give him a break. He missed out on that. They didn't cover who's and whose until third grade.

You left out the third person derivative: HOO'S

I'll probably do tomatoes. You can't really screw those up.

KC2UGV
03-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Ya got me. I went to edit the post, but alas, you can't edit a title.

KG4CGC
03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Front yard, peppers and tomatoes. Best sunshine and the dog is in the backyard.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Dog%20Walk/MUSH_zps1fdb3b8b.jpg

KC2UGV
03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
What style beds is everyone doing?

I'm going to be trying the "square foot gardening" method, trying to get maximum yield from two beds I do have. Figure, if it goes well, I can expand the same for the rest of my beds. Plays well into my "retirement plan", self-sufficiency, without the "going back to the stone age" part.

KG4CGC
03-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm going to use worms.

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 09:30 PM
You left out the third person derivative: HOO'S

I'll probably do tomatoes. You can't really screw those up.

I missed out on that one. I think that was covered with use and youse. Or maybe that was utes and youtes, or youths. I'll have to check with Herman Munster on that. Oh wait, his dead, maybe Joe Pesci could help. Actually, that brings Marisa Tomei to mind, and that brings me full circle to planting my seeds.

NA4BH
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
That's a mighty sharp looking wombat cub you got their.

KC2UGV
03-02-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm going to use worms.

Got those too, vermicomposting.

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 09:44 PM
That's a mighty sharp looking wombat cub you got their.

Yeah, just look at him. You got any idea how hard it is to get them to use a red tipped cane? Tried a service dog, but.....................

NA4BH
03-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Tried a service dog, but.....................

Well there's your problem, a blind man could see it. Use a cat service, it'll get them moving real quick.

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Thank youse.

KG4CGC
03-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Dog is ADD. Wanna pull a sled? Be prepared to go zig zag.

al2n
03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Got our seed starts in the window. Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, onions, eggplant, and some other stuff started. Going to plant some salad greens, beets, peas, carrots, cukes, herbs and anything else that looks interesting. We have a nice big area to play with so we are going to start with 2 or 3 4x8 foot beds and expand if we find we can handle those. Will be trying the square foot method and some other styles since we have room to play around. One bed will be nothing but cukes for pickles. May give okra a try, but not sure how well it will grow up here.

My wife scored nearly 100 strawberry plants the other day, so we will be planting them tomorrow. I dug up an area along the front of the house yesterday and the wife and kids will be planting after lunch. Personally I hate strawberries, but everyone else likes them so I guess they are worth having.

KG4CGC
03-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Strawberries bring in the dough if that is a factor.

al2n
03-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Strawberries bring in the dough if that is a factor.

They still taste like shit.

WX7P
03-02-2013, 10:54 PM

Personal preference I guess.

Sacramento had the best strawberries ever. It was like eating a piece of candy, they were so sweet. I used to eat them with a cup of cottage cheese with walnuts.

the strawberries we get here in Illinois are not ripe and kind of starchy. You have to age them just right in the fridge for them to be edible.

My grandmother used to grow strawberries in Brookings, OR on the coast. They were extremely good also.

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 11:02 PM

Send me all you don't want. Strawberry pies,cakes,short bread, dipped in chocolate, and on cerial, yeah, I'll even come pick them. I'm about ready for a road trip.

KG4CGC
03-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Send me all you don't want. Strawberry pies,cakes,short bread, dipped in chocolate, and on cerial, yeah, I'll even come pick them. I'm about ready for a road trip.

Fruit Condenser. Dehydrator for everyone else. Little crunchy concentrated slices of pure Heaven.

NA4BH
03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Fruit Condenser. Dehydrator for everyone else. Little crunchy concentrated slices of pure Heaven.

I got one of those. And you're right.

ETA: It makes the kitchen smell nice too.

KG4CGC
03-03-2013, 12:06 AM
And no matter how sweet the strawberries are that year, they are never overpowering.

n2ize
03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
No planting around here anymore. This place is so heavily shrouded under trees that it would be like trying to grow stuff in the middle of a deep dark forest. I used to get a little sun to grow things in a corner of the back yard but that's gone now. The monster zelkova tree that was planted years ago has expanded it's dense branches to block the last remaining area of sun. Looking up into that tree you cannot see the sky.

Only time of the year that you can see the sky and when we get sun is in the winter when the trees have no leaves. Anyone know any good crops that will grow in the middle of winter and can take subfreezing temperatures, frozen ground, and burial in snow and ice ?

WØTKX
03-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Well, watchoo gonna do for fun in all that gloom and doom, Herman?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G8QV7Itdh_A/UB_QEvufADI/AAAAAAABRzI/Ax6un79DwPs/s1600/Munsters%2B-%2BIf%2BA%2BMartian%2BAnswers%2B04%2B.jpg

NM5TF
03-04-2013, 12:53 PM
thinking of planting some of this.....

W3WN
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Inspired in part by Mike's post (I'm going to be a daddy), who is getting ready to plant stuff this year? What kind of plot do you have? What are you planning to grow?

In an urban area, but with a sizeable lot, but right now, only sticking with two 4'x4' raised beds, to get my feet wet. We're planning on expanding to two more beds next year, and adding two chickens; but just the 2 beds for now.

We're planning out sugar snaps, spinach, lettuces, sweet peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, and filling in the rest with whatever we'd be able to decide on. Got a couple of weeks before the first stuff goes in (Potatoes).I'll break ground in the garden in about 2 weeks or so.

I usually dig out the existing beds, use that soil for fill in some other parts of the yard, and replace the top soil with "fresh". It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not.

The usual suspects will be planted... Tomatoes, peppers (several different varieties of each), cauliflower, broccoli, zuchini, egg plant. Plus some replenishment in the herb garden where needed (chives, basil, oregano -- italian & greek -- parsley).

Beyond that, it will depend on how much I plant and how much room is left where.

KK4AMI
03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Right after this weeks snow storm. In goes the lettuce and radishes. Then in May, the tomatoes, beans, cucumbers and collard greens and green peppers.

X-Rated
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
BUSTED by the Pope police.

Anyway, the garden is not my thing, Sarah is going to plant something as soon as she figures out what grows well here besides corn and soybeans. I've seen a lot of signs for heirloom tomato seeds. I'd love it if we could grow those.

Tasty...

I was kinda surprised, but one thing legal to grow here is pot(atoes).

kf0rt
03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
thinking of planting some of this.....

Goin' for the cash crop, eh?

W3WN
03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
That's "Who's planting this year", you linguistic philistine. ;)No, no, NO!

How many times do we have to go over this?

WHO's on FIRST!!!

K7SGJ
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Third Base

NM5TF
03-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Goin' for the cash crop, eh?

hell no.....that would be illegal....

personal medical use only:cool2::cool2::cool2::omg:

N7YA
03-05-2013, 03:21 AM
Once we relocate to Maine upon my retirement (i.e. ...rotate home from combat deployment) from Las Vegas, we fully plan on growing our own food. I cant trust anything these days!

NY4Q
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Same as always here : Peppers & Maters.

K7SGJ
03-05-2013, 09:23 AM
I just ordered some spotted dick seeds.

NQ6U
03-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I just ordered some spotted dick seeds.

Why? You can get them from a lot lizard at any truck stop.

K7SGJ
03-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Mama always told me to stay away from those places, or I'd take home spotted dick. So now I grow my own. I use Haggis for fertilizer.

W3WN
03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Why? You can get them from a lot lizard at any truck stop.Yes, but who wants to buy expensive jewelry and fur coats for your physician's spouse or Significant Other (or both)?

X-Rated
03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
No, no, NO!

How many times do we have to go over this?

WHO's on FIRST!!!

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Hus-on-first.jpg

al2n
03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Something is wrong with the tomatoes I planted......

K7SGJ
03-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I have those, too. The're wild tomatoes. Treat em like salmon. They're much beeter if you smoke em.