PDA

View Full Version : Well, this has been a FUN evening.

WX7P
03-02-2013, 05:03 AM
Sarah and I went to see Lewis Black in Peoria tonight. That guy is FUNNY! It was a great show. Black's opening act of John Bowman was good too.

Come home and work a bunch of DX on 40, 75 and 160 during the contest. I worked the Czech Republic on 75 with my jive ass antenna. I also worked a bunch of Caribbean and Colombia on 160. Yes!

Damn, I love ham radio.

Ham Radio was more fun before the intertubes. In the 80's, I didn't have to know how stupid a lot of hams were unless I looked for it on the various war zones. Now, I see it daily, on more than one intertube site. It's depressing.

I weaned myself of the zed a long time ago. I don't want to completely drop out of here, but it's tempting due to some posters I think are total idiots, which number about 2. Those two morons aren't going to harsh my buzz about ham radio. Contests rule. And those idiots aren't going to spoil my love of the radio because they're dumbases about other things.

It's 4 o'clock in the morning here. Sarah dropped about 2 hours ago and the bands are a bit dead. I think I'm done too.

KJ3N
03-02-2013, 07:35 AM
I gave up at 2 this morning, but I'm back at it as of 7 this morning...... I think...

Need a double helping of tea this morning.....

PA5COR
03-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Started working Argentina on 10 this morning Israel and a few others there.
160 busy from all over Europe last night, didn't stay up long enough to wait for the USA to come out of the woodwork though.
Add N8PR florida 5/9 200 watts vertical.

Too late this morning for the grey line on 160...
Will try to do better this evening.
Enjoy the radio time, i do ;)

W4GPL
03-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Janet, are you incapable of any positive thoughts? You had a great evening and enjoyed yourself, but somehow you managed to work your distaste for some ham radio operators. Amazing, it's a real talent.

I suspect you'd find a way to complain about money falling from the sky.

N8YX
03-02-2013, 09:17 AM

You ever done kinetic energy modeling of a silver dollar at terminal velocity?

Them suckers hurt! :shock:

WX7P
03-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Janet, are you incapable of any positive thoughts? You had a great evening and enjoyed yourself, but somehow you managed to work your distaste for some ham radio operators. Amazing, it's a real talent.

Whatever. You're always the beacon of positive thought...I guess you're the only one allowed to complain. Thank you for allowing us to breathe your air.

Anyway, snarkiness aside, 15 is wide open this morning. Working tons of DX with only a wire and 100 watts. The DX isn't judgmental.

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Hollllllllllly Shit. Not another contest. Fuck. I guess I'll have to find something else to do today as the bands will be all used up, and I won't be able to find a clear spot anywhere. Jeeeeezus

:stickpoke:

NQ6U
03-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Hollllllllllly Shit. Not another contest. Fuck. I guess I'll have to find something else to do today as the bands will be all used up, and I won't be able to find a clear spot anywhere. Jeeeeezus

Contests (and participants) are Teh Ebil.

W3WN
03-02-2013, 08:14 PM

:stickpoke:Learn CW. And the WARC Bands are contest free. Otherwise, GTFOML.

CQ Contest, CQ Contest...

W3WN
03-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Contests (and participants) are Teh Ebil.Sacrilege? From the Pope himself? This goes beyond blasphemy!

...oh wait. I'm Jewish. I don't believe in a Pope. Never mind.

NQ6U
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't believe in a Pope. Never mind.

Hell, either do I but the pay is good and the perks (ie: Sister Mary Margaret and friends) are unbelievable!

--Pope Carlo l

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Hell, either do I but the pay is good and the perks (ie: Sister Mary Margaret and friends) are unbelievable!

--Pope Carlo l

And we all know what that smoke is all about in the cardinals nest. wink wink

NQ6U
03-02-2013, 08:49 PM
And we all know what that smoke is all about in the cardinals nest. wink wink

You betcher ass, heretic. And it's only the best stuff, too!

--Pope Carlo l

K7SGJ
03-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Learn CW. And the WARC Bands are contest free. Otherwise, GTFOML.

CQ Contest, CQ Contest...

I do cw. That part of the bands are all snafued, too. Maybe I need to upgrade from my one tube, supe-regen receiver with the 8 transistor(all CK722s) BFO. Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

KJ3N
03-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Sacrilege? From the Pope himself? This goes beyond blasphemy!

...oh wait. I'm Jewish. I don't believe in a Pope. Never mind.

WTF does being Jewish have to do with it? I'm an ex-Catholic and I don't believe in a Pope.

KG4CGC
03-02-2013, 11:29 PM
I'm ex catholic too. Now I'm a witch. Maybe one day I'll be a warlock.

W3WN
03-03-2013, 02:09 AM
I do cw. That part of the bands are all snafued, too. Maybe I need to upgrade from my one tube, supe-regen receiver with the 8 transistor(all CK722s) BFO. NahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhDo you know Mike W7DRA? He claims he operates (today) on a bunch of ARC-5 units, and has to leave the shack to manually change bands.

I can almost believe it. But there's still a whiff of hyperbole... no dogs, sons, chaste wives, or museums though...

W3WN
03-03-2013, 02:10 AM
WTF does being Jewish have to do with it? I'm an ex-Catholic and I don't believe in a Pope.
Ah, but you've made a choice to not believe that. I never did from the get-go.

W3WN
03-03-2013, 02:10 AM
I'm ex catholic too. Now I'm a witch. Maybe one day I'll be a warlock.Tell Harry, Ron & Hermione we all said hi.

KG4CGC
03-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Tell Harry, Ron & Hermione we all said hi.

Uh, no.

AE1PT
03-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Enjoy yourself. Who cares what some snot-rag who compartmentalizes what "amateur radio should be" thinks? There is always the Ignore feature on the forum.

During that same time frame I wired a couple interconnects, put a new rotary switch into a Dentron GLT-1000C, and ordered a shitload of parts from DigiKey, Allied, Universal, and RF Parts. I had a really good time. Suppose that someone might not think that this was ham radio.

Hope you had a good time too, and get over your outbreak of the Burts. :doh:

W7XF
03-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Don't like contests?? Go to the WARC bands... those were a lot of fun this last weekend and kept me entertained/occupied/awake at the wheel coming back from Regina... 12 was wide fuckin open!!!!!

X-Rated
03-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Let's get the ARRL to have the WARC bands contest bands as well. It is obvious that contest haters have those options and don't use them in favor of just bitching about contests.

w2amr
03-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Sarah and I went to see Lewis Black in Peoria tonight. That guy is FUNNY! It was a great show. Black's opening act of John Bowman was good too.

Come home and work a bunch of DX on 40, 75 and 160 during the contest. I worked the Czech Republic on 75 with my jive ass antenna. I also worked a bunch of Caribbean and Colombia on 160. Yes!

Damn, I love ham radio.

Ham Radio was more fun before the intertubes. In the 80's, I didn't have to know how stupid a lot of hams were unless I looked for it on the various war zones. Now, I see it daily, on more than one intertube site. It's depressing.

I weaned myself of the zed a long time ago. I don't want to completely drop out of here, but it's tempting due to some posters I think are total idiots, which number about 2. Those two morons aren't going to harsh my buzz about ham radio. Contests rule. And those idiots aren't going to spoil my love of the radio because they're dumbases about other things.

It's 4 o'clock in the morning here. Sarah dropped about 2 hours ago and the bands are a bit dead. I think I'm done too.
Lew Black is my favorite, probably the best in the business right now.

WX7P
03-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Enjoy yourself. Who cares what some snot-rag who compartmentalizes what "amateur radio should be" thinks? There is always the Ignore feature on the forum.

During that same time frame I wired a couple interconnects, put a new rotary switch into a Dentron GLT-1000C, and ordered a shitload of parts from DigiKey, Allied, Universal, and RF Parts. I had a really good time. Suppose that someone might not think that this was ham radio.

Hope you had a good time too, and get over your outbreak of the Burts. :doh:

HMMM. I guess you didn't read the entire post.

I said that the idiots WERE'NT going to ruin ham radio for me. And they don't.

No Burtism here, station.

WX7P
03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Let's get the ARRL to have the WARC bands contest bands as well. It is obvious that contest haters have those options and don't use them in favor of just bitching about contests.

You have to check out his show he comes to NJ. The guy is gut busting funny.

N2RJ
03-08-2013, 11:11 PM
I had a fun weekend in the contest. Wish I could have done more contacts but I'm glad I participated. I think I even worked a new one!

Lewis Black is funny. I don't mind him.

N2RJ
03-08-2013, 11:13 PM

No that won't happen. The WARC bands are by general agreement always contest free.