PDA

View Full Version : It All Begins with a Big Bang and ends with a Bubble...

N2NH
03-01-2013, 03:45 PM
So FermiLab is saying if Higgs Boson calculations are right.

For a universe so old and so illustrious, the end may be boring and lightning quick: According to one Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory theoretician, if what we know about the Higgs boson subatomic particle is true, the universe may come to an end when another universe slurps us up at light speed.
"If you use all the physics that we know now and you do what you think is a straightforward calculation, it's bad news," Joseph Lykken said at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Boston on Monday. "It may be that the universe we live in is inherently unstable and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out. This has to do with the Higgs energy field itself."

[...]

Phew! Perhaps, all of this can be summed up by a scene from Annie Hall, when a young Alvy discovers the universe is expanding and he is paralyzed.
Alvy's mom says "You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!"
Alvy's doctor says: "It won't be expanding for billions of years yet, Alvy. And we've gotta try to enjoy ourselves while we're here!"

The Large Hadron Collider is going to be out for the next 2 years.

If Higgs Boson Calculations Are Right, A Catastrophic 'Bubble' Could End Universe (http://www.wamc.org/post/if-higgs-boson-calculations-are-right-catastrophic-bubble-could-end-universe?nopop=1)

K7SGJ
03-01-2013, 04:33 PM
"It All Begins with a Big Bang and ends with a Bubble"

That kinda sounds like the night I lost my virginity, too.

X-Rated
03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
FermiLab is near here. I know a guy who works there. We were Boson buddies.

kb2vxa
03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
"It All Begins with a Big Bang and ends with a Bubble"
That kinda sounds like the night I lost my virginity, too.

That reminds me of a girl I went to school with, a virgin until she got pregnant on her wedding night. Like Gomer said; surprise, surprise, surprise. Heh, once again my age is showing, they just don't make them like that any more.