PDA

View Full Version : Ham Radio License Plates

WX7P
02-28-2013, 08:01 AM
These are all my old calls with the exception of W7NPN which is Sarah's.

Here are some recent additions to the collection:

Just for the heck of it...

W4GPL
02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Neat. Do you keep your FCC address as a PO Box? It's always concerned me that some road rage nuttery would track me down if I posted my call on my plate.. though I use a PO Box at the moment.

WX7P
02-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Neat. Do you keep your FCC address as a PO Box? It's always concerned me that some road rage nuttery would track me down if I posted my call on my plate.. though I use a PO Box at the moment.

I've got a PO Box now, only because you need one here. I've always used my street address before and haven't had any issues.

Most people don't even know these are callsign plates.

NQ6U
02-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Janet, I'm hoping to take my extra exam next month and will probably go for one of the sequentially-assigned 2x2 calls. Assuming I pass, would you like my KJ6BSO plate once the new one comes in? The front plate is a virgin, it's never even been on a car.

WX7P
02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Janet, I'm hoping to take my extra exam next month and will probably go for one of the sequentially-assigned 2x2 calls. Assuming I pass, would you like my KJ6BSO plate once the new one comes in? The front plate is a virgin, it's never even been on a car.

Yes, I would. That would be extremely cool. Thank you.

I have about 15 plates either from people I know or have worked on the air.

What is cool about ham plates is that due to the callsigns they are all different. I have a box of 63 CA base year plates with ham calls. I now only collect ham plates. I sold off the rest of my collection before we left Sac.

My current project is finding out of district plates for each state. Right now I have one state complete (VA) and a couple of others short one or two. Virginia was easy because of all the government DC types who blow in and out of town. FL and AZ will also be easy due to retirees, many of which don't change their calls.

I've got all of Canada with the exception of Nunavut and interestingly enough, Ontario. The province charges big bucks for their ham plates so that's probably why there aren't too many around.

WØTKX
02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Wonder if NP4AI here in CO has any laying around?

That would be kind of like a "DX" plate, eh?
Might trade you for obscure music on vinyl.

WX7P
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Wonder if NP4AI here in CO has any laying around?

That would be kind of like a "DX" plate, eh?
Might trade you for obscure music on vinyl.

You're on! That would be really cool.

N2RJ
02-28-2013, 10:55 PM

I've had people follow me all the way home then turn around.

I try not to engage road rage idiots although one asshole was upset that I smoked his honda civic with a minivan and followed me all the way to wal-mart.

I tried to keep my NY "AB2MH" plates but the DMV sent me a nasty letter in all caps when I moved saying I had to surrender them or lose my driving privileges. Nevermind that I kept the old standard issue plates when I got the ham plates. Because I de-registered the vehicle in NY when I moved to another state they wanted the plates back.

WX7P
02-28-2013, 11:33 PM
I've had people follow me all the way home then turn around.

I try not to engage road rage idiots although one asshole was upset that I smoked his honda civic with a minivan and followed me all the way to wal-mart.

I tried to keep my NY "AB2MH" plates but the DMV sent me a nasty letter in all caps when I moved saying I had to surrender them or lose my driving privileges. Nevermind that I kept the old standard issue plates when I got the ham plates. Because I de-registered the vehicle in NY when I moved to another state they wanted the plates back.

You keep adding to the dumb file with every post.

Hello. If you move from one state to another you have to give up your plates and register in the new state unless you pay to get new plates in the new state.

You got followed home? You must have done something really stupid, or incited one of your gun nuts to follow you home over a traffic thing. I really think this is another one of your internet lies.

Get a grip, station.

K7SGJ
02-28-2013, 11:42 PM

I imagine that's about the only virgin in the house, eh?