View Full Version : 78 MPG VW?

w2amr
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Not allowed in the US.
:bs:or not?

http://video.staged.com/localshops/vw_passat_785_mpg_in_the_uk

WA4TM
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
A couple got 84 here in the states last year, maybe not exactly the same model but close...

http://why.vw.com/stories#/stories/show/id/31

N2NH
02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes, this is true. I remember great MPG figures for the Ford Focus in the UK and the EU. Then it was brought here with about 1/2 the MPG. The explanation was that we measure MPG different from the way they do. BULLS#!T.

So, the problem could be solved by merely raising the gas tax part of raising gas to $10/gal. It would also encourage automakers to make cars like this and people to buy them. Let's get a tax rebate for buying cars with over 60 MPG too. $10K would be a good start.

w2amr
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
I would love to hear Mr. Obama explain all of this. But, I won't hold my breath.

WA4TM
02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I would love to hear Mr. Obama explain all of this. But, I won't hold my breath.

You would wind up dizzy from all the direction changes..:evil:

N2RJ
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
So, the problem could be solved by merely raising the gas tax part of raising gas to $10/gal. It would also encourage automakers to make cars like this and people to buy them. Let's get a tax rebate for buying cars with over 60 MPG too. $10K would be a good start.

$10 per gallon? I'd stay home and collect welfare if that were the case. It would cost me to go to work...

KG4CGC
02-25-2013, 04:05 PM

If he did, he would be shot the next day.

N2NH
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
$10 per gallon? I'd stay home and collect welfare if that were the case. It would cost me to go to work...

I won't tell Rupert if you don't.

w2amr
02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
You would wind up dizzy from all the direction changes..:evil:
On second thought, maybe I don't want to hear.

PA5COR
02-25-2013, 05:32 PM
The blue motion series are indeed very economic with diesel.
My m8 has a VW van the T5 weighing in 2.3 metric ton with his gear in it he needs for his job and gets 16 kilometers or 10 miles a litre out of the 2.5 TDI 5 cilinder engine with 205 H.P.

Most small pertol cars here do 19 to 23 km's on 1 litre of fuel ( petrol) the 1.3 TDI engines in diesel get 33 km on 1 liter diesel.
Still delivering good H.P. and speed though.
But then we pay road tax and high taxed fuel as well, but have an very good road system of high quality.

KC2UGV
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes, this is true. I remember great MPG figures for the Ford Focus in the UK and the EU. Then it was brought here with about 1/2 the MPG. The explanation was that we measure MPG different from the way they do. BULLS#!T.

Why bother raising the gas tax? Just stop subsidizing oil companies.

N2NH
02-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Why bother raising the gas tax? Just stop subsidizing oil companies.

Do both and make a real super highway where you get on, use GPS to control the car while you sleep, watch TV, read a book or a newspaper. Something where you'd be on autopilot and arrive a lot more rested than you do now. The technology is nearly there now. Set it to go at 90% of the top speed of a car with an alarm if you need to recharge or refuel and a Heads Up Display to let you know the nearest refueling station.

KC2UGV
02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Do both and make a real super highway where you get on, use GPS to control the car while you sleep, watch TV, read a book or a newspaper. Something where you'd be on autopilot and arrive a lot more rested than you do now. The technology is nearly there now. Set it to go at 90% of the top speed of a car with an alarm if you need to recharge or refuel and a Heads Up Display to let you know the nearest refueling station.

Call it the fiscal conservative part of me. I don't like taxes just for the sake of taxes :)

N2NH
02-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Call it the fiscal conservative part of me. I don't like taxes just for the sake of taxes :)

Which is why this would be a windfall for those who don't like to fly. 2,771 miles from New York City to Los Angeles in say slightly under 28 hours. A bit more if you get a bite to eat and use the bathroom (although that should also be built into cars with a privacy blind. At 70 MPG with a 20 gallon tank, you'd stop once for refueling on the way, more if you choose to. $400 in fuel expenses at $10/gal. Cost me over double that to go 1,000 miles to Florida in a truck with a 30 gallon tank. Be worth it. Comparable airfares are below - from just under $400 to just under $500. Amtrak is $342 for a 67½ hour trip one-way their shortest trip.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/11ryt7d.jpg

KB3LAZ
02-25-2013, 08:28 PM

I pay $8.30 a gallon, more or less.

PA5COR
02-26-2013, 03:51 AM
About what i pay here too, and add the road tax to that.

KK4AMI
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Which is why this would be a windfall for those who don't like to fly. 2,771 miles from New York City to Los Angeles in say slightly under 28 hours. A bit more if you get a bite to eat and use the bathroom (although that should also be built into cars with a privacy blind. At 70 MPG with a 20 gallon tank, you'd stop once for refueling on the way, more if you choose to. $400 in fuel expenses at $10/gal. Cost me over double that to go 1,000 miles to Florida in a truck with a 30 gallon tank. Be worth it. Comparable airfares are below - from just under $400 to just under $500. Amtrak is $342 for a 67½ hour trip one-way their shortest trip.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/11ryt7d.jpg

I'd rather see a high speed train that can haul cars from coast to coast. Kinda like the East Coast trains to Florida. Don't need smart cars, just low tech Iron Rails.

KC2UGV
02-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd rather see a high speed train that can haul cars from coast to coast. Kinda like the East Coast trains to Florida. Don't need smart cars, just low tech Iron Rails.

I would think that would be a great idea. Kind of like an Iron Ferry :)

N2RJ
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Yeah but how many miles do you commute every day? I do 40 round trip just getting to the bus stop and back.

N2RJ
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM

No need for new roads. Google has had self driving cars on California freeways for quite some time now.