PDA

View Full Version : An excellent soldering/desoldering tutorial

N8YX
02-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Back story:

I recently got hold of one each used Pace PPS-400 and PPS-85A rework stations (minus handpieces...of course) and began to search for information on the various accessories, tips and other consumables which are used by the setups.

In doing so, I discovered the YouTube video linked below. Granted, there is a lot of equipment-specific jargon being thrown about by the presenter - he obviously loves his employer and its products - but the same principles apply to any of the various manufacturers' basic equipment types: Soldering pens, powered vacuum desoldering equipment, hot-air pens, hot tweezers and vacuum assisted chip extractors.

Having watched the entire video, the following recommendation is made: Buy the highest-end equipment you can afford, even if it's a used station plus accessories. Almost all of the commercial grade gear can be rebuilt if needed and the quality is far higher than most bargain equipment. And you can get replacement parts...

In the commercial arena, Pace, Metcal and JBC are it. Each has its loyal group of followers - much as Ford, Chevy and Chrysler have theirs.

Next in line are the high-end hobbyist/occasional-use industrial setups. Of these, Weller and Hakko appear to have the widest accessory and spare parts support.

I'm sold on Pace. That stuff will bankrupt me yet but if the job absolutely, positively HAS to be done right they arguably offer the most versatile setups on the market. A complete PRC-2000 package plus accessories (new) can easily fetch over $4000. A bit steep for the home user but worth every penny if you're doing lots of SMT work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0wI-5YZQm4

AE1PT
02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Please post a picture of your wheelbarrow.

You must have one in order to haul around all of the money required to buy the equipment and test gear being advocated... :lol:

N8YX
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Please post a picture of your wheelbarrow.

You must have one in order to haul around all of the money required to buy the equipment and test gear being advocated... :lol:

I'll post a picture of my metal forming tools instead. Scratch and dent sale? No problemo...I'll gladly bang out a couple divots for the privilege of paying $230 for a PRC-2000 power center instead of $400 for a "nicer" used one or $1000+ for a new unit.

I missed one hell of a deal on a PPS-85A a couple weeks back; had almost $5k worth of handpieces included as well as a lot of tipe and other accessories. Yours now for the lofty sum of $500.

Bargains are out there but you have to actively look.

Last evening I managed to score good deals on new Pace handpieces...5 for roughly the price of a single unit. As an example, a TS-15 "Striptweeze" is currently fetching anywhere between $300 and $600 from the distributors...this one was NIB for $50.

Likewise, a person can get good deals on the various Tek modular equipment - IF you're willing to do a little troubleshooting. Having friends in low places (complete with NOS parts) helps too.