PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else starting their gardens yet?

al2n
02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
We started a bunch of seeds indoors last weekend and will be doing some more later today.

This is the first time in years we have lived on a place large enough for us to play farmer, so I am loving every minute of it. Got the garden plot all picked out, have a pair of chickens with another 30 eggs in a home made incubator due on March 2nd, and we picked up some rabbits with the first litter due on the 26th of this month.

Beans, peas, tomatoes, salad greens, beets, winter squash, melons, eggplant, peppers of various types, okra, broccoli, cukes, and whatever else my wife and daughters tossed into the basket while I was not looking. :-D

X-Rated
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Good luck with that. Gardens are a lot of work. I hope you are successful.

Welcome to the Island, newcomer. You are probably the second one on here from Oregon. lol.

NQ6U
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I've tried gardening here but the soil consists of 18" (0.5m) of hard clay atop a layer of fragipan (even harder clay) atop one hundred feet of mixed gravel and small boulders going down to bedrock. It makes regular gardening difficult. Most people who do it around here have either hauled in a few truckloads of decent topsoil or garden in pots.

On the plus side, that hard clay contains a lot of aluminum so the soil conductivity is quite good.

BTW, back in the Seventies, I lived not all that far from where you are in Oregon. Nice area, I'd love to get back there some day.

wa6mhz
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
I'd start a garden too if I could find where I can score some POT seeds!

KC2UGV
02-17-2013, 03:37 PM
I'll be starting later this month. Still too cold to start seeds for transplant here. Doing sugar snaps, tomatoes, spinach, and tonnes of lettuces. Maybe even porch corn from Burpee.

kb2vxa
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
"I'd start a garden too if I could find where I can score some POT seeds!"

Don't start them indoors unless they stay indoors. When moved outdoors they get hammered down and die so start them outdoors so they develop strong stems at the outset. Just be sure they're very well hidden, there's no bigger disappointment than when harvest time comes around somebody got there before you.

Oh, if you plant tomatoes or berries make sure the turtles can't find them. (;->)

w2amr
02-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Too much work. Easier to just drop them into a shopping cart.

PA5COR
02-18-2013, 06:04 AM
New frost and snow period on it's way, so not much chance working in the garden for the next 2 weeks ahead...

N2NH
02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
New frost and snow period on it's way, so not much chance working in the garden for the next 2 weeks ahead...

We're 16º (-9ºC) here with rain tomorrow. That it's rain instead of snow means the season is beginning to change. I might try a victory garden in a month or so...

W5GA
02-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Just started building a raised bed, and the stores here just got in their supply of gardening goodies. I'll mess with it some more as soon as the winds die down to something below 20 mph.

N2NH
02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Just started building a raised bed, and the stores here just got in their supply of gardening goodies. I'll mess with it some more as soon as the winds die down to something below 20 mph.

Do you think getting some worms in the soil helps?

WX7P
02-18-2013, 10:14 AM
It's too damn cold to do anything here.

We'll fire up the garden when the weather gets better. Stanford has a community garden too, so that should be fun.

K7SGJ
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM

I think it helps, especially out here. Plus, there is always the plus of fishing bait being very handy.

N2NH
02-18-2013, 02:31 PM
I think it helps, especially out here. Plus, there is always the plus of fishing bait being very handy.

Thanks, I was wondering. We have some pretty decent soil here, not clay but rich glacial deposits - nearly black. There are a lot of farms nearby.

al2n
02-18-2013, 05:48 PM
I'd start a garden too if I could find where I can score some POT seeds!

Oregon has legalized pot for medical purposes. I keep telling my wife that I should get a permit to see if it cures male pattern baldness. :cool2:

KC2UGV
02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Oregon has legalized pot for medical purposes. I keep telling my wife that I should get a permit to see if it cures male pattern baldness. :cool2:

It might! Gotta try. For science.

al2n
02-18-2013, 08:52 PM
It might! Gotta try. For science.

Somehow my wife is not buying it.

K7SGJ
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Have your wife try some. It should make her much more agreeable. Have some twinkies standing by, too. Oh wait.................never mind.

W5GA
02-19-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure it helps the garden, and I'm positive it helps the fishing.

NA4BH
02-19-2013, 12:20 AM

That's like the guy that married the girl with pyorrhea, gonorrhea, and diarrhea. He could look past the first two because he loved fishing.

W7UUU
02-19-2013, 12:41 AM
No "outside" gardens yet - Pacific Northwest here with frost sill in the future.

But I did just get my tomato seeds ready for the greenhouse this weekend.

Dave
W7UUU