PDA

View Full Version : Curious: How many here monitor BOTH this site and "the other place"?

W7UUU
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm just curious about that... I do both. But this site seems to have much
less "Ham Radio content" - especially in the Homebrew and Boatanchor sections,
which is all I'm really into on such sites. Politics and all that crap are of ZERO
interest to me on a Ham Radio Site. (I have other sites for that!, and it
DOES matter to me - just not HERE or "there")

But I do a lot of homebrew stuff - I love making things. I have a nice homebrew
shop, with all the tools I need to make most anything, and a HUGE (HUGE!!!)
"junk box" - even my XYL likes that I "build things" - she calls me "Dave Builder"
after "Tom Builder" in the book Pillars of the Earth.... always asking me what I'm
building on the bench.

I'm hoping to AWAKEN the "homebrew" section here - but I also post my creations
at that "Z" place - so hence my my question... is it worthwhile for me to post in
BOTH places the SAME THINGS? Or do most folks here also go "there"?

It would be so cool to awaken the idea of MAKING THINGS for ham radio at this
site as well as the other one.

Please vote and comment as you see fit.

Thanks & 73

Dave
W7UUU

KC2UGV
02-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Post in both. Add in eham too. And, any other ham radio forum too. Spread the know-how :)

W7UUU
02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm aware eHam is an option... but chose to leave that one out. This site really
seems to be the "Anti QRZ" site in every way. eHam and whatever else in my
mind have a different vibe and just aren't the same, if ya know what I mean.

I also do Ferrari sites (I have an '86 328 GTS in the garage)... the "Main" site
is www.Ferrarichat.com (http://www.Ferrarichat.com) (I"m "Jedi" there and a pretty big member and such). But
there's another site for "Misfits" called www.FerrariLife.com (http://www.FerrariLife.com) - I'm Jedi there too,
but VERY SELDOM post... it's just a different vibe and significantly less traffic.

Just wondered if this place was the equivalent

Dave
W7UUU

WA4TM
02-16-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm aware eHam is an option... but chose to leave that one out. This site really
seems to be the "Anti QRZ" site in every way. eHam and whatever else in my
mind have a different vibe and just aren't the same, if ya know what I mean.

I also do Ferrari sites (I have an '86 328 GTS in the garage)... the "Main" site
is www.Ferrarichat.com (http://www.Ferrarichat.com) (I"m "Jedi" there and a pretty big member and such). But
there's another site for "Misfits" called www.FerrariLife.com (http://www.FerrariLife.com) - I'm Jedi there too,
but VERY SELDOM post... it's just a different vibe and significantly less traffic.

Just wondered if this place was the equivalent

Dave
W7UUU

Not anymore than Qrz is anti Island!!!

N2NH
02-17-2013, 12:22 AM
I post in both places. More frequently here, but that's because of the Political forum. QRZ has it's place as does eHam, and so does the Island. Doesn't seem to be too much overlap. Good luck on getting Homebrewing going here. I'd look forward to some homebrewed HF CW rigs myself.

W7UUU
02-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Not anymore than Qrz is anti Island!!!

Whatever.... don't get your panties in a bunch. You perfectly well know what I mean.

Dave
W7UUU

suddenseer
02-17-2013, 12:57 AM
This site is not really an "Anti QRZ" site that I often see it referred to as. It was founded by Mike AL2N who had the audacity to point out the one sided moderation policies that many others see as well. He was told that if he did not like the way the zed was ran, he should start his own site (or something like that) He took them up on the challenge.

The island is not in any competition with the zed, or any other site that I can see. Members here can go anywhere and post. We have the freedom to post about anything we please (within legal reason) There are some members here who have been banned at the zed. I don't think it takes much to be banned there. Moderators here are free to go there, and post. Zed moderators are forbidden from posting here. We have the decon zone where some of our members post about some of the silly things going on at other sites. Most of the threads are about the zed shenanigans. It is usually done by the same folks posting about the same folks over there. I grew bored with it some time back, but to each their own. I could really care less.

I do read some of the technical posts on the zed. I enjoy them. I do not like the way some of the same zedizens pounce and devour new hams asking innocent questions. The Island is many things to many people. I just do not agree with the "Anti QRZ" observation. The staff here really tries to be fair with moderation. One really has to work hard to be banned from here. Everyone is welcome, and can arrive on the island with a clean slate. I like that.

PA5COR
02-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Both, and then some other sites, mostly here...

N8YX
02-17-2013, 06:34 AM
All of the above, plus a few other specialized forums which have a 'radio' section within. Say, four-wheeling, motorcycling or shooting boards.

As far as the homebrew stuff goes: I think we need more of it here and have been throwing out some stuff in the form of test-gear-on-the-cheap. The end game with all the acquisitions is to design and test an IF subsystem and corresponding HF/VHF/UHF modules from scratch, document the design and give others the ability to add to or modify the architecture per their needs.

That, and make enough pocket money via the occasional repair to pay for the gear! :lol:

kb2crk
02-17-2013, 07:29 AM
I have cut way back on my postings but I do end up looking at the other place every so often. I do frequent many other boards.

KB3LAZ
02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm just curious about that... I do both. But this site seems to have much
less "Ham Radio content" - especially in the Homebrew and Boatanchor sections,
which is all I'm really into on such sites. Politics and all that crap are of ZERO
interest to me on a Ham Radio Site. (I have other sites for that!, and it
DOES matter to me - just not HERE or "there")

But I do a lot of homebrew stuff - I love making things. I have a nice homebrew
shop, with all the tools I need to make most anything, and a HUGE (HUGE!!!)
"junk box" - even my XYL likes that I "build things" - she calls me "Dave Builder"
after "Tom Builder" in the book Pillars of the Earth.... always asking me what I'm
building on the bench.

I'm hoping to AWAKEN the "homebrew" section here - but I also post my creations
at that "Z" place - so hence my my question... is it worthwhile for me to post in
BOTH places the SAME THINGS? Or do most folks here also go "there"?

It would be so cool to awaken the idea of MAKING THINGS for ham radio at this
site as well as the other one.

Please vote and comment as you see fit.

Thanks & 73

Dave
W7UUU

Dave, the only thing I can do is share my experiences and suggest that you post/read on any site that you wish. I for one read and post not only on the island and the zed but also eham. I read more than anything over on eham. Particularly the article and the survey questions. I do look at the classified listings over on eham but I prefer QTH for that. The thing is, all of the popular ham sites offer something different, to an extent.

For example: Eham has the articles and survey questions that catch my attention. I have submitted a few of both over the years as well as participating in those that have been posted by others. Qth offers a large number of classifieds that are sorted, at least somewhat, which makes finding what you are looking for a bit easier. Ofc, the zed, the island, and eham have classified adds as well and I do search all of them because there are hams that will not list their ads on all forums. The zed has a few people that offer advice and or subject matter that none of the other sites have so I do visit there as well. Also, their call look up is also and advantage. The island offers technical advice, classifieds, and chat outside of the ham arena, though with some it is often times to a smaller scale. However, like with any smaller group this does have its advantages. Questions often times get more attention because there are not near as many for people to sort through. Also, as people know one another on a more personal level you are likely to get more of an in depth explanation and or even a walk through if needed. Either on the net, over the air, or possibly on the phone or in person at times.

That broke down, I enjoy sites like the island because of the "ragchew" so to speak. It may not be 100% AR related but then again, neither is AR. Once on the air, many hams that ragchew do not stick strictly to conversations about AR. However, much of the time these conversations can not be discussed in detail due to being improper and that is where the internet comes into play.

In the end, it all comes down to perspective. What do you want out of a site or a group of sites? If none of them offer everything you want (which is likely the case) then utilize them all. Sure, you will find people on all of the sites that fall into a particular niche, or even following, and yes at times they will moan and complain and be a down right pain in your ass. That being said, that is not the majority of users on any of the sites.

As far as topics that are ham related, make as many as you want. I always participate, provided I know what is going on. If I dont, then maybe I will learn something. I have a lot to learn and many years left to do it, trust me. Im still a pup both in life and this hobby. :D

Anyway, as I said, make of it what you will.

kb2vxa
02-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Like I've said before I haven't been to the Zoo in so long my old membership evaporated. Sometimes I follow links for lulz but that's it. There are a couple of other lulzy sites too but haven't posted for years, sheer lack of interest. One place I like for useful information is AM Fone but post very rarely having been out of the mix too long. This is my home and I like it, you're a great bunch even if I spank the babies occasionally. (;->)

KJ3N
02-17-2013, 06:07 PM
I look at both equally, but actual participation leans more to here.

There's just too much Stupidity going on over at the Zed, for my taste.

Also, far too much Whining & Complaining. You'd think some of them never grew up and learned how to deal with the real world.

For example: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?380208-Irresponsible-Operators :roll:

WX7P
02-17-2013, 06:33 PM
I

For example: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?380208-Irresponsible-Operators :roll:

What Jim said.

I don't read the zed anymore.

Most of what is said is rehashed nonsense like the about link. It doesn't matter if it's in the tech forum or operating or what it's the same old bullshit.

1. Newbie posting stupid questions that could have been answered with about 22 seconds of google-fu.
2. Oldhead idiots telling the newbie how stupid they are.
3. Dipshits complaining about no-code, most of them are 5wpm extras.
4. Constant bitching about contests or DXpeditions or anything organized except silly nets.

Well at least the zed got rid of the constant threads about
1. CB
2. 313

That shit is boring. Just like on the West Coast where I used to live, all the losers had nothing better to do except bitch about WCARS on 7.255. Those guys apparently died or went to the internet to bitch about something else.

The zed is about creating an empire in a forum for some of these stations. Some do it, I guess that's their 15 minutes of fame.

W3WN
02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
< snip >
This site really seems to be the "Anti QRZ" site in every way.
< snip >
Not anymore than Qrz is anti Island!!!Let's not dredge that dreck up again.

The two sites are different. They serve two different sets of clientele, even if there is quite an overlap. Neither one OUGHT to be looked at as the "anti" of the other. Can't we just leave it at that?

And Dave... no better time like the present. If you want to start some threads in Homebrew, that's one way to get the creative juices rolling.

Which reminds me that I really DO have to get my transmatch project in gear...

W3WN
02-18-2013, 04:31 PM
This site is not really an "Anti QRZ" site that I often see it referred to as. It was founded by Mike AL2N who had the audacity to point out the one sided moderation policies that many others see as well. He was told that if he did not like the way the zed was ran, he should start his own site (or something like that) He took them up on the challenge.

The island is not in any competition with the zed, or any other site that I can see. Members here can go anywhere and post. We have the freedom to post about anything we please (within legal reason) There are some members here who have been banned at the zed. I don't think it takes much to be banned there. Moderators here are free to go there, and post. Zed moderators are forbidden from posting here. We have the decon zone where some of our members post about some of the silly things going on at other sites. Most of the threads are about the zed shenanigans. It is usually done by the same folks posting about the same folks over there. I grew bored with it some time back, but to each their own. I could really care less.

I do read some of the technical posts on the zed. I enjoy them. I do not like the way some of the same zedizens pounce and devour new hams asking innocent questions. The Island is many things to many people. I just do not agree with the "Anti QRZ" observation. The staff here really tries to be fair with moderation. One really has to work hard to be banned from here. Everyone is welcome, and can arrive on the island with a clean slate. I like that.
What he said ^ ^ .

Only one minor point: The noted, ah, difficulties that some of the 'Zed moderators encounter regarding posting on other sites are not from any restrictions placed on them here. What other sites restrict their mods too are their concerns, not ours.