PDA

View Full Version : Microcrap Windows 7 (starter) Networking

N1LAF
02-16-2013, 04:50 PM
So here I am, trying to access one of my computers on my network with this Netbook computer, Windows 7 Starter. Cannot see anything on this network. Of course, the Microcrap Help is totally worthless.

Maybe my first question should be - did Microcrap dumb down the starter version in network access? The only thing this crappy OS network can do is Internet access.

Between Windows 8, and stupid crap like this is going to push me away from Microcrap OS systems faster and faster. I did download the Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon iso file last night, and burned it to DVD. Once I can get my head wrapped around disk partitioning and volume setups, I will start exploring the world of Linux - Thanks to Microcrap.

n6hcm
02-16-2013, 08:48 PM
yes. you don't get windows domain networking--you only get the bits you need to get out to the internet. you want anything else and you need win 7 home or pro or ultimate

N1LAF
02-16-2013, 09:11 PM
yes. you don't get windows domain networking--you only get the bits you need to get out to the internet. you want anything else and you need win 7 home or pro or ultimate

Thank you!

ad4mg
02-17-2013, 07:33 AM
So here I am, trying to access one of my computers on my network with this Netbook computer, Windows 7 Starter. Cannot see anything on this network. Of course, the Microcrap Help is totally worthless.

Maybe my first question should be - did Microcrap dumb down the starter version in network access? The only thing this crappy OS network can do is Internet access.

Between Windows 8, and stupid crap like this is going to push me away from Microcrap OS systems faster and faster. I did download the Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon iso file last night, and burned it to DVD. Once I can get my head wrapped around disk partitioning and volume setups, I will start exploring the world of Linux - Thanks to Microcrap.

Regarding the partitioning... this ratio usually works for me, using an example of 100 GB free space:

"/" (root partition) set to 30 GB
"/home" partition set to 62 GB
"swap" partition gets the balance (I usually use physical RAM x 2 as a guideline)

On my old laptop with a 60 GB IDE drive, I have the following:

"/" = 15 GB
"/home" = 41 GB
"swap" = 4 GB

Ample room for programs in root, plenty of space for data in home. I don't use a "/boot" partition, didn't see any advantage to it. This machine has 2 GB of RAM installed.

You also have to deal with the limit of 4 physical partitions on a drive. Gparted (the default partitioner in Debian based Linux OS's) will handle this for you by creating one physical partition as a 'container' for the several logical partitions I use. The newer HP machines (well, laptops) all come with 4 physical partitions, the "system reserved" partition, the OS partition, a restore partition, and a utility partition. I usually delete the utility partition after saving it elsewhere as an image using Clonezilla.

EDIT: to correct an error on the number of physical partitions

N1LAF
02-17-2013, 11:04 AM
I am going to try this "Install inside Windows". The only downside is slight disk performance, but for a netbook, this is not a big issue. Installed, now reboot

N1LAF
02-17-2013, 11:20 AM
That was painless. The "Install Within Windows" worked. Went to the network, it found all my computers. Rebooted, I had the windows option to boot into Windows or Linux Mint. Windows booted just fine.

Looking at the Windows Explorer, I see a new folder called "linuxmint". I set the install for 24 GB, and that is the size of the folder.

Is there a way to share folders between the two? I'll probably be better off resizing the partition, and insert a new partition for shared files.

Of course, I could use a thumb drive to do this. Even SD memory.

N1LAF
02-17-2013, 11:35 AM
My first post using Linux Mint on my netbook. Not bad at all. Even LibreOffice and Firefox is standard install.

N1LAF
02-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Installation was problem free... no problems were evident, booted just fine, all hardware recognized, found all network items. The install within Windows using Mint is a good way to see if it will work for you.

Note: It boots clean, so if you 'save' any files within the 'installed' drive, it will not be there on next bootup. Mount another device, and save that way.

It meets my needs on the Netbook. I can access my network, has Internet access, office suite, and multimedia. In the future I may do a full dual boot with this. This version of Linux is easy to use, and will be easy to use for those who do not 'tinker' with computers.

N1LAF
02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
In fact, if you have Windows 8, do the "Install with windows" to test Linux Mint with your hardware, and if works with no problems - junk Windows 8 and do a full Linux Mint install. You will have a user interface that is familiar with Windows 7, free office suite, graphics, multimedia, and internet software, pre-installed. For netbooks, it has all you need.

Is there a Linux conversion taking place?

W4GPL
02-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Is there a Linux conversion taking place?http://i.imgur.com/O5Bvp5N.png

http://i.imgur.com/og0JLsP.png

Stats from two websites I run.. the first one is non-technical (sports related).. the second is a technical minded website.

Welcome to the club Paul, what took you so long? :-P

KJ3N
02-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the club Paul, what took you so long? :-P

Conservatives don't like change. ;)

N1LAF
02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
I uninstalled the Linux Mint 'Install within Windows', shrank the windows partition, added two more partitions, one for Linux, and one for swap, and proceeded with a full Linux Mint Install, dual boot with Windows 7 (starter)

The grub dual boot menu allows selection between booting Windows or Linux, I have booted into both... both works.

What was interesting, my network connections appeared after loading Linux Mint "within windows", and when I uninstalled Linux Mint from Windows 7 starter, the network connections disappeared.

Between this network problem, and the hideous Windows 8 has pushed me into the Linux domain... I will be a (Windows/Linux)hybrid for the time being.