PDA

View Full Version : What product would you like to see on the market?

KB3LAZ
02-16-2013, 08:44 AM
I have been thinking about this for a long time (on and off) and I would really like to see a VHF/UHF base come back to the market. The last we had is what, the IC-910H? I dont think we have had anything else for a long time nor do I think it had a competitor. They had a good idea with the 1.2g module but for me it was worthless. Ofc the TS-2000 has this option as does the new icom 9100.

So, what would I like to see? Well, something like a modern day 736r. A radio that comes standard with 2m/70cm and optional modules for 220 and 6m. Though, for that matter, I wonder why they dont just make a base all mode that is 2m/70cm/220/6/10. It would seem that there are a lot of tech class ops in our hobby as well as a lot of VHF/UHF enthusiasts. There is life beyond the repeater and all...

Thought, I suppose that they do not feel that there is a market for such radios in this day and age. I figure they may be right to an extent. At the very least I am willing to bet that a simple 2m/70cm replacement for the 910 would sell. That or something similar.

I mean, if you dont want to go used or go with a mobile then your options are limited. TS-2000 and the 9100. Both of which are overkill if you dont want HF. Also, they are a compromise. Not to mention the price tag on the 9100 if your only desire is to obtain VHF/UHF. I figure the price tag of a TS-2000 at this moment isnt far off of what they would charge for a simple VHF/UHF all mode.

If a simple VHF/UHF all mode then one of the big three would likely have the edge. However, a niche radio that is module driven with 4-5 bands may do well with elecraft. Then again, who knows. The market researchers know better than I do.

Anyway, is there anything that is either no longer or has never been on the market that you would either like to see make a comeback or a first appearance?

PS: I would like to see either a 703 replacement or an upgraded 817 but I dont see that happening either. I figure that TT and Elecraft will continue to fill the void. Though, I would like to see something between the K3 and the KX3. I figure the K3 may be a good fit for the desktop QRP market but configured with a tuner you are talking about 2k+ for a QRP radio. (The new Argonaut is a good effort but Id opt for its older brother first.)

/random commentary.

PA5COR
02-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Activety on 2/70/23 deminished a lot here since the Novices also have access to some H.F. bands, as i predicted when they introduced the idea.

I still have my Yaesu FT 847 with Collins filters, the Ft 100, both 160 - 70 ra'dio's and the FT 2000 D main radio.
The FT 100 is used seldom here on 2/70, used more as FM radio to p-ick up local news radio, sometimes for going to a repeater.
99% of the time i'm on H.F. like most of my friends, and i believe the situation in Europe is the same as here, in all these countries the Novices have access to H.F. and 2/70 is seldom used, just some mobile stations from the car, or local nets.

In thaat reality a new radio ( all mode) for 6? 2 70 23? will not find a large group of potential buyers, so not really feaseble project for the big brands.
A H.F. to 70 radio might be still attractive for some, but the majority picks a H.F. to 6 radio as main model.
Maybe the situation over the pond in the USA is different but that is reality here.

KB3LAZ
02-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Activety on 2/70/23 deminished a lot here since the Novices also have access to some H.F. bands, as i predicted when they introduced the idea.

I still have my Yaesu FT 847 with Collins filters, the Ft 100, both 160 - 70 ra'dio's and the FT 2000 D main radio.
The FT 100 is used seldom here on 2/70, used more as FM radio to p-ick up local news radio, sometimes for going to a repeater.
99% of the time i'm on H.F. like most of my friends, and i believe the situation in Europe is the same as here, in all these countries the Novices have access to H.F. and 2/70 is seldom used, just some mobile stations from the car, or local nets.

In thaat reality a new radio ( all mode) for 6? 2 70 23? will not find a large group of potential buyers, so not really feaseble project for the big brands.
A H.F. to 70 radio might be still attractive for some, but the majority picks a H.F. to 6 radio as main model.
Maybe the situation over the pond in the USA is different but that is reality here.

Just curiosity on my part. It seems that about 80% of the members of the local clubs in my area are techs. Which is why I had the thought of the 2m-10m rig (wouldnt be the first in history). However, as I said, 2m/70cm should still have a large enough following to make an all mode rig. In my area, for example, repeater activity is down (or was while I was there) however, SSB activity was much more common.

In reality, what actually has my curiosity is module radios like the K3. Add anything you want and dont buy anything that you dont need. I would like to see more options in the future though. IE. Be like a bare bones PC. Here is a box, pick what you want. You want HF, its there. You want VHF/UHF in its stay, you are good to go. You want it all, there is an option for that too. Honestly, Im not sure that this is unrealistic. Bare bones radios that is.

As I said, just curiosity based on my observations. Look at the cost of FM only rigs and their abundance. Many are not much lower in cost than the All Mode rigs of the recent past. I mean, a single band VHF FM mobile is around 250$. Dual band FM radios go for as much as 700$ for some models. This is without digital options. The 910h went for what, 1000-1200$ new? This gave you FM with the addition of SSB, CW, 2x power, satellite, a hand full of other functions and features. Ofc Data and digital can either be standard or optional in an updated model. So, add 1/3 to the cost to get 5x more...

Idk, maybe its just me.

What I can tell you is that I would not spend 3500$ to get 2m/70cm at 100/75w. Example: IC-9100. Then again, I prefer not mix VHF/UHF/HF. I suppose if I were to look for one rig to rule them all, I might go that way. However, I prefer my HF rig be dedicated to just that, HF.

PS: Having reread what you said. As I sated, I prefer 160-6 for my main radio as well which is why a VHF/UHF dedicated all mode is attractive imo. If I dont want it in my main rig, then I have to get it somewhere. :P

PA5COR
02-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I see your point m8, i worked years ( 12 or so) with the FT 847 with Collins filters and some modifications, which now is my spare set.
Wasn't bad on H.F. but with DSP in the audiochain it got dated compared to the FT 2000 D i now have.
Having 200 watts+ ( 225 actually) on the bands including 6 meters isn't bad i have the Heathkit SB-1000 1 KW amp, but mostly 200 watt works just fine, having 3 dB extra on 6 compared to the FT 847 isn't bad either.

The FT 100 mobile transceiver works quite well actually, used on our hollidays mostly, but now at home for the use i already described above.
Selling the old radio's is no option, i won't get back a lot and they work fine and as spare they give me the assurrance to be able to switch over to an old trusted platform with all plugs and cables already in the house.

The makers of ham radio's like the 3 big ones will only look at an project for a new radio if they can be quite sure to make a profit, or in other words, sell an XXX number of radio's.
They also know the market and the dwindling use of the bands above 6 meters.
With that comes the low numbers of radio's they can hope to sell, and costs are high.
Maybe there is a niche maker like Elecraft that might want to try the fill the niche, but they have the same problems as the big 3.

It is not for a reason the radio's like Yaesu made with modules are gone, the selling numbers were just too low, to be feasable to sell for a profit.
That same reason must have been the cause for yaesu not to come with a full size transceiver for 160 -70 as follow up for the FT 847.
Looking at myself i opted for a good setup for H.F. and 6 meters as base radio, i did my work on 2, 70 and 23 with transverters homebrewed or later the FT 847, including mast head amps homebrewed for VHF and UHF and SSB.

That is what i see around me happening in the radio clubs i'm a member off or hear on the bands too.
Everything above 23 cm's is already mostly homebrewing anyway, i still have my 23 cm transverter i used with the FT 225 RD and FT 847.
All stored with homebrew antenna in the attic, tried to sell it, but nobdy reacted on that... gives you a deeper look in the changes in use of bands and how people change the use of bands.

In the whole country we might have 16.000 licensed ham radio geeks, about 100 of them work on or above 23 cm.....
Matter of fact is i will remove the 2 and 70 Beams ( flexa yagi) from the mast this spring, they will not be replaced, just keeping an dual band vertical for 2/70.

If i really wanted to go back on VHF UHF i would make transverters to go up from the FT 2000 D and profit from the good receiver in it.
Maybe reinstate the FT 847 just for 2/70 would be an option, it has a good reciever for 2 and 70.
Just before retiring the FT 847 i put on new knobs, new rubber panels for the keyboard entry and replaced the on/off switch, so it works as new.
But to be honest i can't be bothered at the moment, jus venting a few brainfarts here ;)
I can go with your observation that for a litttle bit more money as an pure FM rig you can make/buy an all mode rig, but the interest just isn't there anymore.
I worked aurora, airplane scatter, lhe leonides and much more in SSB, worked 2000 miles in SSB + but the interest just isn't there anymore.
And with lack of other stations to work the interest is weening....

I went from an VHF UHF nut to 160 meter nutcase just for the challenge as i had before on VHF UHF to get things working and done nobody thought were possible.
Worked USA/ Canada, Ural etc up to 9000 km's in Phone on 160 with a simple L in the city, experiment with receive antenna's and amp's to get every bit out of my setup on 160.
Just like i did on UHF and VHF with homebrew GaAs fet amps in the mast head amps, etc.
Been there, done it, got boxes of qsl cards to prove it.

It was a happy time, but time and interests progress over time, and as is it now, for most hams.
For the relative small groupinterested in VHF/UHF and SHF homebrew or an good H.F traansceiver with transverters will be the only option in the future i'm affraid.
Or limit yourself to the FM sets available as long they will be made.
Even there i see black clouds for the sun for the big 3 makers from the cheap and cheerfull Chinese imports.

In the 36 yars i'm licensed and since my 12th i became interested in electronics and transmitting and receiving lots of things changed, not always for the better in my view.
But then i'm now an old fart of 60 that looks back too much maybe and remembers the smell of solder too much....

N8YX
02-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I want a nice IF assembly which will accept 3 to 5 H/V/UHF modules at a time.

Make it dual conversion which will allow for the use of commonly available 455 or 500KHz filters in the 2nd IF. Incorporate an IF notch, 1st IF PBT/VBW control and variable AGC. Variable NB. Repeater offsets can be automagically determined by the module being inserted, and the less overall reliance on inter-module microprocessor control the better. All mode chassis...including AM. A squelch which works on all modes.

Modules which cover the following, and an open architecture for those wishing to roll their own:

HF (15-12-10)
1.2G (several ranges)

Computer control of all operating parameters. An embedded keyer, and a self-test function.

KB3LAZ
02-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I want a nice IF assembly which will accept 3 to 5 H/V/UHF modules at a time.

Make it dual conversion which will allow for the use of commonly available 455 or 500KHz filters in the 2nd IF. Incorporate an IF notch, 1st IF PBT/VBW control and variable AGC. Variable NB. Repeater offsets can be automagically determined by the module being inserted, and the less overall reliance on inter-module microprocessor control the better. All mode chassis...including AM. A squelch which works on all modes.

Modules which cover the following, and an open architecture for those wishing to roll their own:

HF (15-12-10)
1.2G (several ranges)

Computer control of all operating parameters. An embedded keyer, and a self-test function.

:D Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

However, in general, I was curious as to what products others would like to see. I guess you and I are the only ones interested in products that are not offered. :D

N2NH
02-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I'd like to see a CW only QRP HF rig. It could be a kit (Like the Heathkit HW7/8/9) or built like the FT-817. But inexpensive and CW only. If I were limited to 3 bands, it would be 20, 30, 40 Meters, but it should be configurable at time of purchase if that's the case. I think something like the Red Hot Radio but with 3 bands would be great.

KC2UGV
02-16-2013, 09:57 PM
A QRP (Sorta, 1W to 10W) digital modes modem + transceiver all-in-one package.

W5GA
02-16-2013, 11:52 PM
I'd like to see a 3x 3-500Z amplifier. Re-tubing it would STILL be cheaper than any of the ceramic flavor triodes.

KG4CGC
02-17-2013, 12:04 AM
If Icom can go full goose bozo on D-Star, why can't they simply make one model of dual bander with SSB/CW?

NQ6U
02-17-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm with the Vampire: I want a 100 watt 2m all-mode radio that's strictly a VHF rig rather than a compromise HF/VHF/UHF do-it-all wah-dee-doo-dah shack-in-a-box.

KB3LAZ
02-17-2013, 07:52 AM
I'd like to see a CW only QRP HF rig. It could be a kit (Like the Heathkit HW7/8/9) or built like the FT-817. But inexpensive and CW only. If I were limited to 3 bands, it would be 20, 30, 40 Meters, but it should be configurable at time of purchase if that's the case. I think something like the Red Hot Radio but with 3 bands would be great.

Not sure if its exactally what you are looking for but have you checked out the YouKit radios? They come in 4 band or two and models and all weigh in at under 300$.

If Icom can go full goose bozo on D-Star, why can't they simply make one model of dual bander with SSB/CW?

My thoughts as well. Hell, at this point Id even be happy with with a mobile that had SSB/CW option.

KB3LAZ
02-17-2013, 07:56 AM

I'm with the Vampire: I want a 100 watt 2m all-mode radio that's strictly a VHF rig rather than a compromise HF/VHF/UHF do-it-all wah-dee-doo-dah shack-in-a-box.

Yep. Since I dont see that happening any time soon, when I get back I have a plan in mind. I will will pick up either a 736r with an array of solid state amps or a 910H. The 736r gives me the advantage of being able to add 220, though, 220 is one band I use strictly FM on. I may just go with a 910H and an Alinco 220 mobile in the shack.

N2NH
02-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Not sure if its exactally what you are looking for but have you checked out the YouKit radios? They come in 4 band or two and models and all weigh in at under 300$.

Thanks. I gave them a look. Too bad $150 radios are extinct, but those were single banders. These are nice. Thanks again.

WX7P
02-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Oh, I dunno, Carlo. I'm pretty happy with my 746Pro which does 100w on 2m. It was sure nice to have that power in Sac. I don't have an antenna for 2m set up here yet.

KG4CGC
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Oh, I dunno, Carlo. I'm pretty happy with my 746Pro which does 100w on 2m. It was sure nice to have that power in Sac. I don't have an antenna for 2m set up here yet.

What kind of antenna do you have?

WX7P
02-20-2013, 01:39 PM
What kind of antenna do you have?

I don't have one here yet. I have an element element 2 meter beam in Tulelake that I hope to pick up (with my 63 Rambler and a bunch of other junk) by the end of next month weather permitting.

I also have a tower and a KT-34a that I'm going to bring out here. I have a discone and a Comet 6 meter vertical here, but it's been too cold to put them up.

For HF, I have a W9INN 40-80-160 antenna that I installed as an inverted V up about 40 feet. It plays real well on those bands and tunes up adequately everywhere else. I also have a Cushcraft R-4 vertical which is not hooked up yet. It was, but I stole the coax for the dipole, and haven't drilled the second hole for the coax to the basement.

KG4CGC
02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
OK. I have a Cushcraft 13 element 2m ant that's looking for a home.