PDA

View Full Version : Stank Bugs

KG4CGC
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
I think it's going to be a bad year for stink bugs this year. It hasn't been super cold this year with some days getting up to near 70 while some days reaching 36 and most days being in the 50s.

I don't normally have to do a lot of pest control around here but I think that this year since the stink bugs are actually finding their way inside the home, I will need to hit them with something.

Any stink bug eradication tips from the Islanders?

NA4BH
02-15-2013, 07:21 PM
http://www.febreze.fr/media/images/textiles.png

kb2vxa
02-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Mail them to the Westboro Baptist Church.

KG4CGC
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Mail them to the Westboro Baptist Church.

I wouldn't hurt a fly. I let the spiders take care of them but I want the Stankus Bugus Beatleveetus' dead.

K7SGJ
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't hurt a fly. I let the spiders take care of them but I want the Stankus Bugus Beatleveetus' dead.

I can send you a couple of these guys, if you like. They are very friendly and like to walk up your arms.

Or one of these, but they aren't as much fun to play with.

Actually, if there aren't any local ordinances against it, a chicken or two will do the trick. They love to chase and eat all kinds of bugs. Then in the fall, it's pollo burrito time.

kb2vxa
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Be careful what your chickens eat unless you want to find out what stink bugs taste like.

KG4CGC
02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
I have actually found stink bugs indoors. I figured I could extract nicotine from cigar and cigarette butts as well as some dottle to make a solution that would kill them. Seems that even with direct exposure to nicotine solution, it does not permeate their skin. Should I add borax? How will this react with nicotine in solution?
Last year I tried something similar with the fire ants but it killed the grass for months at a time.

kb2vxa
02-18-2013, 11:16 PM
"Should I add borax? How will this react with nicotine in solution?"

You don't need borax, you need a stronger solution. Put tobacco in a suitable glass or metal container with hot water and heat it to boiling. Turn off the heat and strain the solids, then filter the water, a coffee filter is suitable. Boil off the water until the mixture becomes saturated, let it cool and it's ready to go. This is similar to the function of the Slimeatron processing pissolene. When the liquid turns black be careful with it, the unnameable, unclassifiable product is something between hazmat and nuclear waste. Reminds me of a Zappa song, Let's Make The Water Turn Black.

Seriously be careful with it, nicotine is extremely toxic.

KG4CGC
02-19-2013, 12:08 AM
"Should I add borax? How will this react with nicotine in solution?"

You don't need borax, you need a stronger solution. Put tobacco in a suitable glass or metal container with hot water and heat it to boiling. Turn off the heat and strain the solids, then filter the water, a coffee filter is suitable. Boil off the water until the mixture becomes saturated, let it cool and it's ready to go. This is similar to the function of the Slimeatron processing pissolene. When the liquid turns black be careful with it, the unnameable, unclassifiable product is something between hazmat and nuclear waste. Reminds me of a Zappa song, Let's Make The Water Turn Black.

Seriously be careful with it, nicotine is extremely toxic.
This message was brought you by the Anarchist's Cookbook.

NA4BH
02-19-2013, 12:14 AM
There was a show on PBS years ago about homemade stuff to kill bugs and/or make your yard greener. One of those you add dish detergent to. It cuts through the oily/waxy coating on the bug or grass blade.

kb2vxa
02-19-2013, 04:42 PM
That's not in the Anarchist's Cookbook but there are instructions on making nitroglycerin. Just don't try this at home, you might end up like Emil Nobel. I suppose you could add a little detergent (not nitroglycerin) to the black toxic stink bug eating sludge. There should be enough water to make it work unless you cook it too long. Detergent is a surfactant, it makes the water wetter, the water is the solvent.

KG4CGC
02-19-2013, 04:51 PM
That's not in the Anarchist's Cookbook but there are instructions on making nitroglycerin. Just don't try this at home, you might end up like Emil Nobel. I suppose you could add a little detergent (not nitroglycerin) to the black toxic stink bug eating sludge. There should be enough water to make it work unless you cook it too long. Detergent is a surfactant, it makes the water wetter, the water is the solvent.

"The Cookbook" showed one how to make nicotine poison out of 3 or 4 cans of fine ground dip (Copenhagen). The finished sludge could then be applied to dart tips. It warned of deadly nature of the finished product. As of this day, we still have no antidote for nicotine. If one gets exposed on a dewy morning in the tobacco fields, the only thing one can do is to ride it out.

Many have had this happen as nicotine is water soluble and can go through your skin. People swear they are going to die but it's really a rough ride until it wears off. That's not even being exposed to a lethal dose, which as you know, 2 drops of pure nicotine on an elephant's tongue can kill it in seconds.

I know, it's all the stuff of legend but there is more than a smattering of truth to it.