PDA

View Full Version : Respond to locked threads

X-Rated
02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
How are members supposed to respond to locked threads when Mods can ask questions there after they are locked?

KG4CGC
02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
That a GD good question. A pretty sleazy thing to do on the part of the admin who did it.

N2NH
02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Screenshots:

EXHIBIT 1 (LINK) (http://i48.tinypic.com/2eyl0qo.jpg) - Thread listing thread already locked.

EXHIBIT 2 (LINK) (http://i46.tinypic.com/729f09.jpg) - Prior to posting but thread locked.

EXHIBIT 3 (LINK) (http://i49.tinypic.com/s2ebzn.jpg) - Mod has posted and relocked thread.

W4GPL
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah.. WTF?

W4GPL
02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Looks like it was a dupe, wasn't it?

N2NH
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Looks like it was a dupe, wasn't it?

Could be wrong, but it didn't seem to be at the time of the screenshot.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2eyl0qo.jpg

W4GPL
02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/24882-The-Enduring-Lies

You'll see the time stamps are a minute apart.

X-Rated
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't think anyone is quibbling over a thread that has gone without a response.

N2NH
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Interesting to me was the explanation given.

http://i50.tinypic.com/21oagyc.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/209m3ox.jpg

As far as I can see this is was the only reason given for the thread closing. In fact the thread was re-opened to post that. This doesn't jibe with closing a thread because of a duplicate. Next time I will capture the full page.

KG4CGC
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Whatever. Look at the Island and ask yourself, why don't more conservatives post on the Island. The standard answer is that they're afraid of those vicious liberals. HAAH! I have your answer.
It is because they don't want to be associated with the likes of Paul, LAF and his brand Republicanism which does not speak to the majority of people who lean right.

W4GPL
02-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Dave closed the thread. I don't know why, but he did.

http://i.imgur.com/UiMxvU1.png

W4GPL
02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
PS - Moderators can post to locked threads.. and it's not always plainly obvious that threads are locked; especially if you're already in the process of entering a reply. Paul's hands are clean here.

N2NH
02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
PS - Moderators can post to locked threads.. and it's not always plainly obvious that threads are locked; especially if you're already in the process of entering a reply. Paul's hands are clean here.

Ah, judging by what I could see, I thought it was Paul who closed the thread. I am wrong.

KG4CGC
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Dave locked it after I posted then Paul posted in post lock. That's how it looked on my end.

NQ6U
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Dave closed the thread. I don't know why, but he did.

Crucify him along the Appian Way.

Jeezus, you guys, lighten up. As much as we all may love it, the Island is just an Internet forum—and a not-very-significant one at that. I think maybe I'll join Fast Eddie in a little hiatus from this joint.

X-Rated
02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
A reason for locking is not necessary. I was asking how one is to answer a mod in a thread that is locked. Nothing more. Nothing less. Who locks the thread is unimportant. Who asks the questions in the thread is unimportant. Just asking a question.

Just asking a question.

W4GPL
02-15-2013, 06:03 PM

Jeezus, you guys, lighten up. As much as we all may love it, the Island is just an Internet forum—and a not-very-significant one at that. I think maybe I'll join Fast Eddie in a little hiatus from this joint.A Pope can't abdicate his position.. oh.. :(

X-Rated
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
A Pope can't abdicate his position.. oh.. :(

It's time to settle down, get married and have kids.

n2ize
02-15-2013, 09:43 PM

Jeezus, you guys, lighten up. As much as we all may love it, the Island is just an Internet forum—and a not-very-significant one at that. I think maybe I'll join Fast Eddie in a little hiatus from this joint.

It makes for good gossip.

kf0rt
02-15-2013, 09:54 PM

The Pope, FTW. (Never thought I'd say THAT!).

Taking a chill pill is a good idea for most of us, methinks.

N8YX
02-16-2013, 11:45 AM
The Pope, FTW. (Never thought I'd say THAT!).

Taking a chill pill is a good idea for most of us, methinks.

As an alternative to the politickin', come over to the ham radio area of the site and join in one of the many ongoing discussions. I'm going to start another Tek thread up and add to the existing 7000 one with some U-fix-it info.

N1LAF
02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
And there is Raspberry Pi at Tech Talk

NQ6U
02-16-2013, 08:35 PM
A Pope can't abdicate his position.. oh.. :(

The best I could do was to take 24 hours away.

VE7DCW
02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
The best I could do was to take 24 hours away.

It would be a total bitch if in your abscence you were demoted to Island choir boy.... but not seeing the white smoke we're pleased to see his eminence just took a 24 hour day off.... :snicker:

KC2UGV
02-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Jesus christ people....

This is a forum. On the internet. The "staff" are all unpaid volunteers. Let's try to give the benefit of a doubt before hanging someone up to get shot.

For fucks sake: I can't stand Paul. He irritates the piss out of me. He's one of two people on ignore for me. But, he's never done anything out of sorts with his staff position here, and I will stand by him being on staff until he does otherwise.

Yes, I know I've pushed the line a few times (I called for him to step aside, but for a wholly different reason). But jeezus christ. Take the diaper off, stop whining, and stop assuming a grand conspiracy to take out the Island here. Or else, you'll be the reason all of the staff decide to quit, and HI will return an error 404 one of these days.

n2ize
02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Interesting to me was the explanation given.
Next time I will capture the full page.

Is it really that important to you ? Why not let it go. It's just a forum. Relax and enjoy.

NQ6U
02-16-2013, 10:20 PM
It would be a total bitch if in your abscence you were demoted to Island choir boy.... but not seeing the white smoke we're pleased to see his eminence just took a 24 hour day off.... :snicker:

I used some software (SelfControl (http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/), Mac only) to enforce a 24 hour hiatus. I used that time to build the 15m Moxon antenna I plan to use on Field Day!

kb2vxa
02-17-2013, 06:33 PM
This is still going on? It started as a comedy of errors and now it's just a comedy. When are Zedders going to start posting links to Island forums?

WX7P
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
This is still going on? It started as a comedy of errors and now it's just a comedy. When are Zedders going to start posting links to Island forums?

Yep, I thiink the practice of posting zed links here is LAME.

KC9SQR
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Make EVERYONE moderators!!! Then we can ALL reply to locked threads! :snicker:
Problem solved :clap:

I'll be awaiting my moderator privileges...
Thank you all, if there are any more issues need a solving, I'll be around..

73, :rock:

KC9SQR
02-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Maybe when they don't fear merely mentioning the name of this place over there without repercussions..
I don't see that happening though, too many need their corn cob removed from their buttholes, and a few more over there need theirs kicked further up..

They seem to have a bit of an issue over there that someone took them up on their offer of "Why don't you go start your own forum then" and it's actually successful.. And that we all get along pretty good without the draconian over moderation techniques that they use...

Oh well, to each their own..

kb2vxa
02-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Sorry to see you're another one sarcasm is lost on, oh well.
"And that we all get along pretty good without the draconian over moderation techniques that they use."
My point entirely. Now if it were draconian over modulation techniques it would be CB. (;->)

KC2UGV
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Make EVERYONE moderators!!! Then we can ALL reply to locked threads! :snicker:
Problem solved :clap:

I'll be awaiting my moderator privileges...
Thank you all, if there are any more issues need a solving, I'll be around..

73, :rock:

I tested that on another forum. The results were, interesting, to say the least.

kf0rt
02-17-2013, 10:19 PM
As an alternative to the politickin', come over to the ham radio area of the site and join in one of the many ongoing discussions. I'm going to start another Tek thread up and add to the existing 7000 one with some U-fix-it info.

Too swamped for most of it all. Geez... at my aged age, I was thinking things might get a mite easier. I wuz wrong.

KC9SQR
02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Sorry to see you're another one sarcasm is lost on, oh well.
"And that we all get along pretty good without the draconian over moderation techniques that they use."
My point entirely. Now if it were draconian over modulation techniques it would be CB. (;->)

Oh I got the sarcasm :)
And I like the over modulation techniques lol good one

W3WN
02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Whatever. Look at the Island and ask yourself, why don't more conservatives post on the Island. The standard answer is that they're afraid of those vicious liberals. HAAH! I have your answer.
It is because they don't want to be associated with the likes of Paul, LAF and his brand Republicanism which does not speak to the majority of people who lean right.Wait... what?

Well, whatever his brand of Republicanism is... it's not mine.

N1LAF
02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Wait... what?

Well, whatever his brand of Republicanism is... it's not mine.

Do you even know what my brand is, or just going by what others say?

KG4CGC
02-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Do you even know what my brand is, or just going by what others say?

You brand speaks for itself everytime you post waxing political. Don't try pulling a Nugent now, or a Romney and claim that your brand isn't a reflection of your politics.

kb2vxa
02-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Not likely, what comes out the fingers can't hold a candle to what comes out their mouths. Hold on this rhyme has a little introduction to it, it's ain’t supposed to be sad though you might feel it that way. It's a rhyme about desperation, every now and then we do get desperate. To coin a phrase, let's see if it catches on.

Musta got Nuged, musta got Nuged, musta got Nuged
Somewhere down the line
Musta got Nuged, I got Nuged
Give away the day he had a brain

Change it to Romneyed if you like. You can add their names or those of your choosing here too if the mood strikes you.

I been Norman Mailered, Maxwell Taylored.
I been John O'Hara'd, McNamara'd.
I been Rolling Stoned and Beatled till I'm blind.
I been Ayn Randed, nearly branded
Communist, 'cause I'm left-handed.
That's the hand I use, well, never mind!

I been Phil Spectored, resurrected.
I been Lou Adlered, Barry Sadlered.
Well, I paid all the dues I want to pay.
And I learned the truth from Lenny Bruce,
And all my wealth won't buy me health,
So I smoke a pint of tea a day.

I knew a man, his brain was so small,
He couldn't think of nothing at all.
He's not the same as you and me.
He doesn't dig poetry. He's so unhip that
When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas,
Whoever he was.
The man ain't got no culture,
But it's alright, ma,
Everybody must get stoned.

I been Mick Jaggered, silver daggered.
Andy Warhol, won't you please come home?
I been mothered, fathered, aunt and uncled,
Been Roy Haleed and Art Garfunkeled.
I just discovered somebody's tapped my phone.

I lost my harmonica, Albert.

W3WN
02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Do you even know what my brand is, or just going by what others say?Do you?

I'm not sticking labels on anything. Call it what you will. Just pointing out that we don't neccesarily agree on things.

N1LAF
02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Do you?

I'm not sticking labels on anything. Call it what you will. Just pointing out that we don't neccesarily agree on things.

Have I made any judgments on you? I don't think so. But you can ask, and maybe you will find we will agree more than disagree. Take your word for it, not someone else.

For example, I don't think we should beat up on people for their gender, political, or religious beliefs - I think we both agree to this.

KG4CGC
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
As for political "beliefs" ... people get what they put out. If you come along regurgitating hardcore rightwing lunacy, expect a sound thrashing. Same would go for hardcore leftwing lunacy. There's just one thing about that, the right has gone so far and so hard to the right, not even to mention that their answer to everything is go harder right because you're not conservative enough, that no one in this country has seen what actual liberal policy really is.

WØTKX
02-18-2013, 04:49 PM
What a load.

N7YA
02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
IB4TL! :lol:

N2RJ
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM

This, 100%. I've done it a few times but I usually deleted the post afterwards when I realized what I did.