PDA

View Full Version : Acrobat alternatives

X-Rated
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Are there alternatives to Acrobat? I am looking for something that will save *.pdf to *.tiff or something like that (*.jpg) and then back to *.pdf again. Oh, and did I say for free?

NQ6U
02-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Adobe released their Portable Document File (PDF) format as an open standard years ago so you should be able to find something. FWIW, Apple uses a variation of PDF as their default display format so any Mac running OS X can open and save a .pdf without any third-party software.

W4GPL
02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
LibreOffice will do most of that with the PDF Import extension.

N2CHX
02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
LibreOffice will do most of that with the PDF Import extension.

Yup. GIMP will do it as well.

X-Rated
02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys and gal. This is great. I still have my copy of Acrobat 6 and it won't work on Win 7.

n6hcm
02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
CutePDF.

N1LAF
02-12-2013, 10:35 PM
CutePDF.

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

WA4TM
02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
If I remember correctly Open office will open just about anything and save it in what ever format you choose. Have a look see: http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html

W4GPL
02-12-2013, 10:54 PM
OpenOffice is passé.. LibreOffice is the proper replacement.

WA4TM
02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Damn, you shot that down quick!!!!:cry:

W4GPL
02-12-2013, 11:03 PM
They're essentially the same, LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice.

When Oracle took over Sun, they started making decisions about OpenOffice without consulting the open source community, thus the majority of the developers left for LibreOffice. Now OpenOffice is under the watchful eye of the Apache Foundation, but it was too little too late. Now OpenOffice is branching off of LibreOffice instead of the other way around. LibreOffice is the future, OpenOffice is the past.

WA4TM
02-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Well, that's good to know... Maybe I need to read more.... I didn't have a problem with the correction, I was just surprised that it came before the damn ink even started to dry on my post! :lol:

n6hcm
02-13-2013, 05:42 AM
When Oracle took over Sun, they started making decisions about OpenOffice without consulting the open source community, thus the majority of the developers left for LibreOffice. Now OpenOffice is under the watchful eye of the Apache Foundation, but it was too little too late. Now OpenOffice is branching off of LibreOffice instead of the other way around. LibreOffice is the future, OpenOffice is the past.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

the administrivia behind FOSS can be confusing. CentOS was looking dodgy for a while and so a few spinoffs happened ... now there are a whole bunch of similar-but-not-quite-the-same distributions out there. :(

W4GPL
02-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Eh.. Hardly. Scientific Linux is the only other real EL clone out there other than CentOS. Anyone else who has tried is defunked or way too disorganized to even be considered.

X-Rated
02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/QA1_zps56031e47.png
This is what I started out with in my sample test.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/QA2_zps646d8ddd.png
This is what I ended up with after the pdf modifications on another page. This page was not modified. I modified page 1 and this is page 2. Looks like in the .odg file I will have to rearrange things.

KC2UGV
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Eh.. Hardly. Scientific Linux is the only other real EL clone out there other than CentOS. Anyone else who has tried is defunked or way too disorganized to even be considered.

I'm leaning towards settling for SL instead of CentOS for home usage for now. I dunno, but the thought of Fermilab supporting it makes me feel cooler ;)

W4GPL
02-13-2013, 11:37 AM
At my last job, when CentOS was struggling, we made the decision to go with SL as we were upgrading everything to EL6.. I'm still in touch with those guys and there's no regrets. My stuff still runs CentOS because the two dedicated server hosting companies I use don't have SL templates. The good news is though.. CentOS has pieced themselves together. I'm no longer nearly as concerned about their future as I was.

W3WN
02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Are there alternatives to Acrobat? I am looking for something that will save *.pdf to *.tiff or something like that (*.jpg) and then back to *.pdf again. Oh, and did I say for free?Do a search for PDF Creator & PDF Writer. We use both at work.

IT rolled out PDF Writer to the user base, as PDF Creator has some functionality that the department head didn't want in the users hands for a variety of (internal politics) reasons.

...oh, forgot to mention, they're both free...

W3WN
02-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys and gal. This is great. I still have my copy of Acrobat 6 and it won't work on Win 7.Really?

Well, that's good to know, since I'm still using Acrobat 6 at home for my "personal/work" XP machine. I'm starting to look around for some Dell hardware to run Win 7 on (I have obtained some OEM Win 7 DVD's) to replace that box, so this is a factor.

X-Rated
02-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Really?

Well, that's good to know, since I'm still using Acrobat 6 at home for my "personal/work" XP machine. I'm starting to look around for some Dell hardware to run Win 7 on (I have obtained some OEM Win 7 DVD's) to replace that box, so this is a factor.

When I say "It won't work", I mean I can actually get it to work, but the acts I have done to make it work creates an environment that creates havoc on downloading pdf's from email and other internet sources.

I don't want to download and evaluate all of these options, but all that I have here from the suggestions will not let me save the pdf to another format, save LibreOffice. What I want to be able to do is to open a pdf, save it to something easily editable, edit it, and resave as a pdf. LibreOffice appears to do that. I can't see where CutePDF or the others do that for free.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't see it.

VE7DCW
02-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Really?

Yikes..... i've been fiding out that any of the latest Adobe software has been problematic in my computer running the windows XP OS.....the latest problem is their new version of Flash which I could'nt even load into the computer and i've been happy with a HTML 5 plug-in that works like a charm.....eeeeeecccchhh,anything but Adobe!! :yuck: