PDA

View Full Version : that ham radio guy

w2amr
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/february2013/ham_radio_in_kraft_velveeta_tv_ads.htm?utm_source= feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+A mateurRadioNews+%28Southgate+Amateur+Radio+News%29 #.URjzqh3C2xA

WØTKX
02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
It's not easy being cheesy.

NQ6U
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
It's not easy being cheesy.

Especially when you're talkin' Velveeta; that stuff ain't even cheese.

KA9MOT
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Walkin' that dog
Kickin' that cat
Mac and Cheese is where it's at!

kb2vxa
02-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Eat liquid goo? No thanks, that stuff is NASTY!

W3WN
02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I got a couple of pounds of real cheddar. Made a pot of mixed pasta shells & macaraoni & such, added hot melted cheddar (thinned with a little skim milk). Little Miss Field Day thought it was the best "mac & cheese" she'd ever had.

Gets expensive to do it right, but after doing it right, who wants to go back to the substitute?

N8OBM
02-16-2013, 12:08 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I got a couple of pounds of real cheddar. Made a pot of mixed pasta shells & macaraoni & such, added hot melted cheddar (thinned with a little skim milk). Little Miss Field Day thought it was the best "mac & cheese" she'd ever had.

Gets expensive to do it right, but after doing it right, who wants to go back to the substitute?

I'm with you 100% on that. You need real cheese to make mac n' cheese. Oh and a little fresh grated Parmesan Regiano helps the mix as well.

Archie N8OBM

kb2vxa
02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
The funny part is that ham guy is probably smart enough to know Velveeta crappy as it is doesn't even begin to taste like cheddar. Maybe you noticed it tastes like American cheese because that is the very same crap in slices rather than a brick. What else can you expect when both are made by Kraft? It's from angry cows, not contented cows like Tarnation condensed milk.

W4GPL
02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm just angry that ham radio guy seems to have more than a couple of CB radios. :-P

kb2vxa
02-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Oh, you noticed that?

Jeff K1NSS
02-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Last Man Standing takes the high road, That Ham Guy aims lower. So far, the 21st century branding of ham radio is a mixed grill with extra cheese food product. Fascinated by the sardonic Kraft campaign, positioning Velveeta eaters as various flavors of Cosmo Kramer, saying in so many words, eat amusing crap and be an amusing idiot.

W3WN
02-26-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm just angry that ham radio guy seems to have more than a couple of CB radios. :-PMy boss made a point of showing the spot to KB3ERQ/AG & I during lunch yesterday.

He thought it was a good commercial... well, at least from the standpoint of being pro-Ham Radio. (He agrees with us on that stuff not being Cheese, or even a reasonable facsimilie thereof). He did NOT notice that the radios shown in the background were actually CB's. Most civilians won't.

I'd bet you apples to oranges that the spot was written by a ham, or someone familiar with amateur radio. But the person who STAGED the spot just grabbed some prop radios off the shelf... either not knowing the difference, or not caring, or figuring that no one would notice.

So perchance the best approach would be to take that age-old advice from Warren Oates in Stripes:

Lighten Up, Francis.

W3WN
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Last Man Standing takes the high road, That Ham Guy aims lower. So far, the 21st century branding of ham radio is a mixed grill with extra cheese food product. Fascinated by the sardonic Kraft campaign, positioning Velveeta eaters as various flavors of Cosmo Kramer, saying in so many words, eat amusing crap and be an amusing idiot.It's clearly intended to be a cheesy commercial, in both senses of the word.

It does have the effect of curdling my stomach, I'll grant you that.

Jeff K1NSS
02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
I'd bet you apples to oranges that the spot was written by a ham, or someone familiar with amateur radio.

I would agree. Best to be happy that ham radio is bubbling up like hot fake cheese in the mainstream and don't sweat the positive/negative stuff.

KG4CGC
02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm just angry that ham radio guy seems to have more than a couple of CB radios. :-P

Yeah. What brand of Sooper Shooter was that parked on CHANNEL 33?
Should have had something they could park on 14.313 just for teh lulz.