PDA

View Full Version : HRD 6 finally released

AE1PT
02-10-2013, 01:01 AM
Get it while you can at $80. It jumps to $100 on Monday...

The sycophants and apologists are licking each other's backsides over in the swamp about it.

XE1/N5AL
02-10-2013, 03:02 AM
I sure hope strong copy protection is built into program, lest some of the more "thrifty" hams will turn the release into a pirate-fest.

KA9MOT
02-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Get it while you can at $80. It jumps to $100 on Monday...

The sycophants and apologists are licking each other's backsides over in the swamp about it.

And you did such a nice job of pointing the short comings out. I swear Pat, I wish I were as eloquent as you. You've become my new hero. I think old Dr. Bob got his panties all knotted up.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?379014-HRD-Releases-Version-6-0-at-HamCation&p=2768524#post2768524

When you get it up and running, let us know how it is. I looked on YouTube for some videos and with the little I could find it looks like a warmed over version 5.

KA9MOT
02-10-2013, 03:45 AM
I sure hope strong copy protection is built into program, lest some of the more "thrifty" hams will turn the release into a pirate-fest.

Do you honestly believe folks will need to steal it? Is it worth stealing? I don't think it's worth paying for, why go to the trouble of stealing it?

n6hcm
02-10-2013, 08:22 AM
is the old version (HRD 5) being kept as the "freeware" version? i don't see any reason to pay $80 (or $100) for what is essentially HRD5 with a few more features

N8YX
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
It's time for an enterprising group of hams/software engineers to write a replacement...a portable replacement which can run on multiple platforms. Make it Java or Python based, modular and extensible: You install only those features which you need.

Legacy (true TTY) support for RTTY terminals such as the ST6000, ST8000 and anything else with an RS232 port attached.

Standardize the device driver modules which feed the main program itself - in classes of, say: rigs, rotors, TTY, TNC, network and so forth...document the upper level API and let the community at large get to work.

I can write drivers for a few rigs which I have on hand as well as the Timewave DSP599 (native TTY), KAM Plus, KPC3, KPC9612 and Universal M7000 (all in host mode).

N8YX
02-10-2013, 10:22 AM
And you did such a nice job of pointing the short comings out. I swear Pat, I wish I were as eloquent as you. You've become my new hero. I think old Dr. Bob got his panties all knotted up.

Let's take one comment into consideration:

"A lot of the controversy here has to do with what honestly are amateurish marketing methodologies."

A lot more of the controversy has to do with the apparently non-existent product support. As in: "Stupid user ought to be able to figure things out themselves."

I guarantee that if the support engineers of any number of SaaS/software systems vendors whom I'm familiar with were to express a similar attitude towards their major customers, they would be out on their asses at the end of the week...if not the day.

KC2UGV
02-10-2013, 11:44 AM
It's time for an enterprising group of hams/software engineers to write a replacement...a portable replacement which can run on multiple platforms. Make it Java or Python based, modular and extensible: You install only those features which you need.

Legacy (true TTY) support for RTTY terminals such as the ST6000, ST8000 and anything else with an RS232 port attached.

Standardize the device driver modules which feed the main program itself - in classes of, say: rigs, rotors, TTY, TNC, network and so forth...document the upper level API and let the community at large get to work.

I can write drivers for a few rigs which I have on hand as well as the Timewave DSP599 (native TTY), KAM Plus, KPC3, KPC9612 and Universal M7000 (all in host mode).

You do realize, FLDigi is open source, and includes most of what you are asking for, right?

W4GPL
02-10-2013, 11:46 AM

I can write drivers for a few rigs which I have on hand as well as the Timewave DSP599 (native TTY), KAM Plus, KPC3, KPC9612 and Universal M7000 (all in host mode).Fldigi isn't too shabby.. and the hamlib database is growing everyday.

N8YX
02-10-2013, 12:18 PM
You do realize, FLDigi is open source, and includes most of what you are asking for, right?

Fldigi isn't too shabby.. and the hamlib database is growing everyday.

I just rebuilt the shack controller computer - dual-boot with Linux Mint 14. Once I get the interfaces proofed under XP and all is up and running I'll look into FLDigi and see what it has to offer.

Right now there's a requirement for a Signalink USB interface, a Timewave DSP599 (RS232; native Baudot TX/RX), an Icom CT17 (RS232) and USB CAT cable support for the nearest FT-980. I have two serial and two USB ports on the rear of the Shuttle Micro which is going to be used for the purpose so there should be enough I/O on hand.

More on the shack PC in the Computers area. Off to start another thread...

KC2UGV
02-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I just rebuilt the shack controller computer - dual-boot with Linux Mint 14. Once I get the interfaces proofed under XP and all is up and running I'll look into FLDigi and see what it has to offer.

Right now there's a requirement for a Signalink USB interface, a Timewave DSP599 (RS232; native Baudot TX/RX), an Icom CT17 (RS232) and USB CAT cable support for the nearest FT-980. I have two serial and two USB ports on the rear of the Shuttle Micro which is going to be used for the purpose so there should be enough I/O on hand.

More on the shack PC in the Computers area. Off to start another thread...

You can use FLDigi on Winderz too. So, if you are proofing there, go ahead and do the proofing for FLDigi as well :)

W4GPL
02-10-2013, 01:25 PM
You do realize, FLDigi is open source, and includes most of what you are asking for, right?Great minds.. and all that..

Though I can't explain you and me.

WØTKX
02-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Have used FLDigi in the past, but switched to HRD and MultiPSK. I like the variety of modes.

I'll keep using the "old" HRD, but it's been about two years since I checked FLDigi out.

KC2UGV
02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Great minds.. and all that..

Though I can't explain you and me.

lol

NQ6U
02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
You can use FLDigi on Winderz too.

There's a version for OS X as well. It's not as mature as the Linux version in that there are a few minor (mostly cosmetic) bugs but it works quite well.

W4GPL
02-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Have used FLDigi in the past, but switched to HRD and MultiPSK. I like the variety of modes.

I'll keep using the "old" HRD, but it's been about two years since I checked FLDigi out.I can't cite the specific milestones, but it seems like Fldigi improves a great deal with each release. 2 years is a long time when it comes to F/OSS development.

XE1/N5AL
02-10-2013, 03:38 PM
...and support older rigs with VFOs that can be set remotely, but don't have the capability of reporting their current VFO setting to the computer; like the FT-736R. Operation wouldn't be quite as seamless as with a modern rig, but at least there would be some support. The computer program would have to memorize the last VFO setting that it issued to the radio rather than polling the radio for the frequency each time it was needed.

KA9MOT
02-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I had to get back into the fray... I hopeless:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?379014-HRD-Releases-Version-6-0-at-HamCation&p=2769229#post2769229

WA4TM
02-11-2013, 02:01 AM

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?379014-HRD-Releases-Version-6-0-at-HamCation&p=2769229#post2769229

:snicker: Yep, you just have to keep pissing in their campfire!!!! :stickpoke: Give 'um hell!

W3WN
02-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Great minds.. and all that..

Though I can't explain you and me.You keep feeding me straight lines like that, one of these days you WILL get a response. But for the moment, I will refrain.

W3WN
02-13-2013, 08:25 AM

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?379014-HRD-Releases-Version-6-0-at-HamCation&p=2769229#post2769229How dare you confront them with the truth & facts to back it up? They'll burn you at the stake like a witch for that. (I'll skip the obigatory Holy Grail reference here)

N2RJ
02-13-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm just keeping the old version for now. Can't begrudge the guy for wanting to make money off his labor but HRD has become so shitty, slow and buggy anyway that I'm actually looking for alternatives and seriously considering rolling my own. $100 is too much. Maybe $40 would be better, but it's his product and he can price it however he wants. I am free not to buy.

My log is about 30k contacts and it began to slow to a complete crawl. Part of the problem was the MS Access backend database. So I switched it all over to MySQL and it has been running much better now.

KA9MOT
02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm just keeping the old version for now. Can't begrudge the guy for wanting to make money off his labor but HRD has become so shitty, slow and buggy anyway that I'm actually looking for alternatives and seriously considering rolling my own. $100 is too much. Maybe $40 would be better, but it's his product and he can price it however he wants. I am free not to buy.

My log is about 30k contacts and it began to slow to a complete crawl. Part of the problem was the MS Access backend database. So I switched it all over to MySQL and it has been running much better now.

Try DXLab Suite for Windows. Not as pretty as HRD but does everything better and rock solid. It's free and if you pay close attention to the instructions not nearly as hard to install as it seems. http://www.dxlabsuite.com/