PDA

View Full Version : Network Printing Problem

koØm
02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I have a Windows network, both wired and wireless clients in the same workgroup; one machine is a "BeyondTv" Server, this PC records TV shows and allows other machines on the network to watch TV and recorded shows. I have printers connected to the PC's and, everything is shared and I have no problems accessing network resources from any client. These all are Vista and XP machines.

So, I get this MacBook Pro which, I have included in workgroup; I can see other machines and they can see the MacBook Pro but, I havent been able to make it print to any of the shared printers on the network.

I am learning to use the Mac in the "Ol German Style" (if you know what that means) but, I havent found it in the tutorials or on the MacBook Forum (still RTFM and lurking on that forum) but, I know somebody here can show me a shortcut or point out what I am overlooking.

BTW, <pissing and moaning>I don't normally have an Avatar but, just for this thread, I pulled an appropriate one up; hell, I have "Avatars" and Signatures disabled in setting because they distract from the content on the message and typically say more about the poster</pissing & moaning>

NQ6U
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Have you installed the correct printer driver on the Mac?

NY4Q
02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
1) Is the printer supported by Apple?

2) Does ya have the driver?

3) With no applications open, hit (COMMAND) + K and enter "smb://the_server_name/the_share_name"

4) Foller the buttons.

5) Orda werk.

koØm
02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
1) Is the printer supported by Apple?

Yup

2) Does ya have the driver?

Selected from drop-down menu on MacBook

3) With no applications open, hit (COMMAND) + K and enter "smb://the_server_name/the_share_name"

Did That.

4) Foller the buttons.

5) Orda werk.

Didn't work.

According to this thread on macrumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1203336.html

Apple has decided to remove in OS X Lion anything that allows you to print via a windows shared printer. (http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/20363/cant-print-on-os-x-lion-via-shared-printer-connected-to-windows-vista-fix)

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/20363/cant-print-on-os-x-lion-via-shared-printer-connected-to-windows-vista-fix

NA4BH
02-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Didn't work.

According to this thread on macrumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1203336.html

Apple has decided to remove in OS X Lion anything that allows you to print via a windows shared printer. (http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/20363/cant-print-on-os-x-lion-via-shared-printer-connected-to-windows-vista-fix)

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/20363/cant-print-on-os-x-lion-via-shared-printer-connected-to-windows-vista-fix

That is wrong. We have an HP network printer (1320?) that prints both PC and MAC. Never a problem. My VISTA PC does not like the printer program, but the XP and MAC have no problem.

n6hcm
02-15-2013, 02:55 AM
That is wrong. We have an HP network printer (1320?) that prints both PC and MAC. Never a problem. My VISTA PC does not like the printer program, but the XP and MAC have no problem.

ditto. i just got lion (the VA is slow about these things) and i print to a HP network printer just fine.

NQ6U
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Is your printer an actual network printer or is it connected to a PC that's got Windows printer sharing turned on? If the latter, you may need to download and install Apple's Bonjour software on the computer that's functioning as the print server. It's a free download from Apple.

koØm
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Is your printer an actual network printer or is it connected to a PC that's got Windows printer sharing turned on? If the latter, you may need to download and install Apple's Bonjour software on the computer that's functioning as the print server. It's a free download from Apple.

I downloaded "Bonjour" printing services from Apple......

Printer requirements
Bonjour Print Services works with either:
* network printers over Wi-Fi or Ethernet
* USB printers shared via a Mac or an AirPort base station

It is not a "Networked" printer, it is a "Shared" printer connected to a Vista PC so, because the printer does not have an IP address or is connected to a Mac or, an Apple Wireless AP then, I am just S.O.L.

The "Euuuu-weee" factor of having a Mac PowerBook has worn off real quick. At any one time, either one or all six of my Windows machines (networked thru Cisco Catalys Switch / Netgear Router) can print to either of 3 printers; this glorified POS WackBook is just an ornament.

n6hcm
02-16-2013, 04:50 AM
i'm not sure you say what kind of printer it is. not all printers are intended for use with macs.

NY4Q
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
The "Euuuu-weee" factor of having a Mac PowerBook has worn off real quick. At any one time, either one or all six of my Windows machines (networked thru Cisco Catalys Switch / Netgear Router) can print to either of 3 printers; this glorified POS WackBook is just an ornament.

Easy now; take a deep breath. Winderz should work with Winderz. Bringing in an outsider that doesn't play well with the others is no reason to write off the device as junk.

You keep on digging and you MAY find a solution. Sometimes its best to take a break from the problem, then come back fresh.

W4GPL
02-16-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm not an expert on desktop support nowadays, especially Mac OSX, but I'm certain people are printing from OSX --> Windows (anything).

I know that Microsoft offers "Services for UNIX" which included an ldp daemon -- at the very least you should be able to make that work, as Mac OSX does support that.

FWIW, this is why I just won't buy a printer (regardless of cost) that doesn't support native postscript printing via the network. I threw my hands up with host based drive quirkiness years ago. My little Samsung laser is a champ -- it was probably twice the price of anything else on the market, but damn.. I've never once considered driver issues on any OS..

koØm
02-16-2013, 11:32 AM
i'm not sure you say what kind of printer it is. not all printers are intended for use with macs.

Interesting idea..... Build a device in such a way that it is not compatable with the most used OS on the globe (Mac or Windows).

It is a HP OfficeJet J4580 (I am currently RTFM).

Dialouge:

Operator: "Excuse me sir, do you know where I can find Printsville?

Help-Desker: <New England accent> Yes, but you can't get there from here...</New England accent>

NQ6U
02-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't know what to say. My network includes computers running OS X, Linux and Windows XP and I can print to two different laser printers and a Canon inkjet from any one of them. One of the laser printers is connected to an Apple Wi-Fi router, the other has built-in Ethernet capabilities and the inkjet is connected to a first-gen (PPC G4) Mac mini that's functioning as a print server.

n6hcm
02-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Interesting idea..... Build a device in such a way that it is not compatable with the most used OS on the globe (Mac or Windows).

It is a HP OfficeJet J4580 (I am currently RTFM).

MacOS X is only supported through the USB connection. See http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01430100&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3645100

you can often work around this by sharing out the printer from the windows box and using a generic driver on your mac (but this only works if there's a generic driver for the language your printer wants to speak).

in my home i can print from any client (except maybe the sony blu-ray playstation thing) to any printer. no biggie. you gotta buy the printer that does what you want. you bought the client after buying the printer, so you have to put up with workarounds.

n6hcm
02-16-2013, 08:56 PM
FWIW, this is why I just won't buy a printer (regardless of cost) that doesn't support native postscript printing via the network. I threw my hands up with host based drive quirkiness years ago. My little Samsung laser is a champ -- it was probably twice the price of anything else on the market, but damn.. I've never once considered driver issues on any OS..

I expanded this to use PCL since it is more widely available than PS anymore.

the ldp daemon would only help if he had a client-side driver for that printer (and could compose a printcap entry to make it work). seems unlikely.

koØm
02-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Easy now; take a deep breath. Winderz should work with Winderz. Bringing in an outsider that doesn't play well with the others is no reason to write off the device as junk.

You keep on digging and you MAY find a solution. Sometimes its best to take a break from the problem, then come back fresh.

Well, I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater, I was just verbalizing about an un-forseen level of fustration caused by introducing a new device into a "peaceful" network.

*I* set my expectations too high and, was disappointed when it wasn't as easy as I had anticipated; Let's just say that my new-style device does not play well with it's Legacy friends.

In the immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Well, tomorrow is another day."

koØm
02-17-2013, 08:50 PM
BTW: This is Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) running 2.53 Gig Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 GB Ram.

I deleted the Printer installed under "IP Printers" and tried to ADD PRINTER under Windows but, No-can-do; that Tab was grayed out and I could not input information or select printer.