PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Planning

W3WN
02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
We're starting to look at where we're going to go on our summer vacation this year.

Default choice is Ocean City MD. Now, nothing against OCMD... but since we got married, that's been the ONLY beachfront locale we've gone, for a variety of reasons, and I'm up for a change of pace.

My suggestion to the boss was that we look into Virginia & NC areas. Reasoning is that we can work into the trip a stop in DC to visit the kids for a day, without going too far out of our way. (Something not so easy to do from OCMD, since we have to go back up to Baltimore to cross the Bay Bridge and then go down I-95 to see them). She's amenable to the idea.

So, for those of you in or familiar with those areas... any suggestions? My personal preference is for something a little less, ah, touristy... but I'm open to suggestions.

N2NH
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
It's a bit far, but it is on the way to D.C. The most beautiful beaches I've ever seen are on the west coast of Florida. White sand beaches and most of the time the smaller ones on islands are deserted. From Tarpon Springs to Sarasota, the beaches are beautiful. South of there, there is a lot of sulphur springs and they make themselves known by a strong odor. Good for you health, but bad if you have a problem with smelly air.

http://youtu.be/9eyu7waKGE4

wa6mhz
02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
There IS also California, the Vacation Destination of the whole world!

KC2UGV
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Nag's Head and Manteo in NC. Nag's Head is nice, you have the ocean on one side, and the sound on the other. So, you can have waves, or you can have calm waters. Manteo is all sound, so all calm waters. Both are really nice to visit.

W3WN
02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
It's a bit far, but it is on the way to D.C. The most beautiful beaches I've ever seen are on the west coast of Florida. White sand beaches and most of the time the smaller ones on islands are deserted. From Tarpon Springs to Sarasota, the beaches are beautiful. South of there, there is a lot of sulphur springs and they make themselves known by a strong odor. Good for you health, but bad if you have a problem with smelly air.
There IS also California, the Vacation Destination of the whole world!Nope.

Thanks guys, but I should have been more specific. Driving distance, anything more than about 8 to 10 hours driving is too far. There's another factor I didn't mention... we usually head home from the shore by way of I-95 into SNJ to visit my Mom for an afternoon, so anything too far south makes that side trip unworkable.

... Pat, how do I get from WPA to SCA or back by way of DC? You have looked at a map, haven't you?

KK4AMI
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Nope.

Thanks guys, but I should have been more specific. Driving distance, anything more than about 8 to 10 hours driving is too far. There's another factor I didn't mention... we usually head home from the shore by way of I-95 into SNJ to visit my Mom for an afternoon, so anything too far south makes that side trip unworkable.

... Pat, how do I get from WPA to SCA or back by way of DC? You have looked at a map, haven't you?

I'd recommend anything from Kitty Hawk to Corolla on the Outer Banks. It is close enough to DC that kids could come out to the beach on the weekend.

KC2UGV
02-08-2013, 10:54 AM
I'd recommend anything from Kitty Hawk to Corolla on the Outer Banks. It is close enough to DC that kids could come out to the beach on the weekend.

^^^ This.

W3WN
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
I'd recommend anything from Kitty Hawk to Corolla on the Outer Banks. It is close enough to DC that kids could come out to the beach on the weekend.OK, I'll start looking into the area.

Any SPECIFIC suggestions, to help narrow the search? Particular community(s) to look for or to avoid? Or rentals for a few days or a week that won't cost me an SX-88?

NA4BH
02-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Nemacolin

ka4dpo
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
We have a place in Kill Devil Hills, nothing fancy but right on the beach and a lot of fun. I can just walk out and go fishing, I love that...

KK4AMI
02-08-2013, 07:36 PM
OK, I'll start looking into the area.

Any SPECIFIC suggestions, to help narrow the search? Particular community(s) to look for or to avoid? Or rentals for a few days or a week that won't cost me an SX-88?

Any place seems pretty good. Prices are lower starting at Kitty Hawk and go higher as you head up North to Corolla. Kitty Hawk is more tourist and kids, Corolla has more private like beaches. You can get hotel rooms or rent a beach side house for about 30 people. Tends to be smaller houses south and larger beach fronts to the north. Make reservations early!

KC2UGV
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
OK, I'll start looking into the area.

Nags Head. Rentals there, last I knew (It's been a few years to say the least) beach houses there were reasonable.

N8GAV
02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Check out Marysville NC Ron, small Navy base there and the Battleship North Carolina. Not real crowded, nice beaches, and not over-priced.Hams can use the radio room on the Battleship, during the summer they operate it every day and you sign the QSL cards they send out, kind of neat.

KG4CGC
02-08-2013, 09:27 PM
OBX is always raved about. Great place to fish and relax. A group of us were planning a scooter gathering there but it's going to be expensive in terms relative to last year's BRP trip.The XYL and I decided that we're going to blow a wad on KW again this year. It's 16 hours but it was so nice last year even though by the time we figured out the ins and outs around town, it was time to go. Nice thing about KW is that you can go from touristy to secluded in just a matter of 5 or 10 minutes. I realize you mentioned driving time but you may consider flying? No? It's also not nearly as expensive as you might think unless you want to stay in 5 star hotel. A lot of the island is covered with B&Bs and rental units.
Of note, people will tell you that it's really really gay in KW. I will tell you first hand, Asheville NC is gayer. That's if that kind of thing bothers you. I know it doesn't but last year I overheard a husband and wife, husband wanted to leave because of all the "gayiety." Wife told him to ''STFU, it's not that bad.'' I mean people think gay guys are going to hit on you and get aggressive. I guess there will always be UTs in the mensroom looking over their shoulders at the urinal worrying about their Space Rocks™.

W3WN
02-12-2013, 01:12 PM
The boss just got her vacation weekend unofficially approved... her immediate supervisor OK'd it, but it still has to go through channels, this is the way a hospital bureaucracy works -- poorly works, that is... so now I've got to come up with a place.

If anyone knows of a SPECIFIC rental in one of these areas (Nags Head and Marysville both sound promising) that they like, please PM me.

NQ6U
02-12-2013, 01:21 PM
If you're into surfing, the breaks at Perth Amboy are, like, gnarly, dude.

W3WN
02-12-2013, 01:49 PM
If you're into surfing, the breaks at Perth Amboy are, like, gnarly, dude.
Ever been to Perth Amboy?

The breaks are, like, polluted, dude. And just wait until the winds change & you get a whiff of the refineries out in Bayonne.

NQ6U
02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Ever been to Perth Amboy?

Yeah, I have. Hence, the joke.

KK4AMI
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
These are the guys we usually rent from in Corolla. We have about 4 families that split the cost.

http://www.twiddy.com/?gclid=COPUqon4sbUCFQTe4Aod4H8Anw

N2RJ
02-13-2013, 09:05 AM
The beaches in West FL pale in comparison to some of the better Caribbean beaches I've been to, like Grand anse in Grenada. If you're ever considering a vacation in the Caribbean, I'd highly recommend it. I like the FL Panhandle beaches too but I still remember the gigantic horseshoe crab I saw as a kid at Tyndall in Panama City. And then there's probably still the leftovers from the gulf oil spill a few years ago.

KB3LAZ
02-13-2013, 09:14 AM
I cant add anything to this but irony. I hate beaches and yet when I look around all I see is beach.

KK4AMI
02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
I cant add anything to this but irony. I hate beaches and yet when I look around all I see is beach.

I'm not a beach fan either, however I like living near the water. I was in Malaga, Spain back in the middle 70s. I vaguely remember that the parents with small children use to dig holes on the beach and let their kids do their business. Needless to say, I'll bet there are very few metal detectorists digging for treasure on those beaches. :lol:

KB3LAZ
02-13-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm not a beach fan either, however I like living near the water. I was in Malaga, Spain back in the middle 70s. I vaguely remember that the parents with small children use to dig holes on the beach and let their kids do their business. Needless to say, I'll bet there are very few metal detectorists digging for treasure on those beaches. :lol:

I wouldnt know as I avoid the beach at all costs. Though, when we go to the old part of Altea we do drive past the beach. On said beach there is no sand as it is stone.

KG4CGC
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Only if the parents were throwing coins and jewelry down those shitholes.

NM5TF
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
There IS also California, the Vacation Destination of the whole world!

you CAN'T be serious Pat....there are LOTS of better places to vacation at....

and I'm a Native Son....

W3WN
02-13-2013, 02:17 PM
These are the guys we usually rent from in Corolla. We have about 4 families that split the cost.

http://www.twiddy.com/?gclid=COPUqon4sbUCFQTe4Aod4H8AnwYowzer! I can see why.

For a week, the web site lists 3 2 bedroom places for $1500 - 1600, for the week we have in mind. And that's not including tax or travel insurance.

I may have to sell half my shack at the hamfest in 2 weeks... But I'll keep looking...

KK4AMI
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Yowzer! I can see why.

For a week, the web site lists 3 2 bedroom places for $1500 - 1600, for the week we have in mind. And that's not including tax or travel insurance.

I may have to sell half my shack at the hamfest in 2 weeks... But I'll keep looking...

Bring more relatives. Getting one of the big 8 bedroom jobs is great. Fantastic view of the water from the third floor and a great outdoor balcony to set up your Argo.

W3WN
02-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Bring more relatives. Getting one of the big 8 bedroom jobs is great. Fantastic view of the water from the third floor and a great outdoor balcony to set up your Argo.Hell no.

For many years, the OCMD trip was run by my in-laws, and it was the "family" vacation. They insisted. So it was them, our family, my brother-in-law's family, and my sister-in-law's family... all sharing (usually) a four bedroom condo. Relaxing, it wasn't. More like utter chaos. No privacy. (No foolin' around, either).

Grocery shopping was a nightmare... you'd buy something, and another family member would have consumed it for lunch or dinner, or worse, the little kids cried for it, so Grandma served it to them, they hated it, it got thrown out. You know, fun stuff like that.

Evening dinners had to be everyone all together. Which ended up being Grandma picked the restaurant. Ever been to the unfortunately-named BJ's on the Bay? Five years running... I can see once overcooking & almost burning a deep-fried fish patty for a fish sandwich, but 5 years running? Or the rib place... JR's I think (they seem to be big on initials there). I'm told that their ribs are good. The short ribs (beef) are so-so, the steaks were dry, the chicken... never mind. Suffice to say that once you step away from their specialty, everything else was at best average.

Oh, and Grandma ruled the TV most afternoons and evenings. There's only one set in the condo, so either you watched what she wanted to watch, or sucked it up. (We usually went out to the Boardwalk most nights anyway, so this one wasn't THAT big a deal... but I hate watching a show, and having someone else change the channel to what THEY want to watch, because it's "their" rental.)

Never again. If we end up going the same weekend as the rest of the family, in the future, we'll at least get our own place. And set our own schedule.

KB3LAZ
02-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Hell no.

For many years, the OCMD trip was run by my in-laws, and it was the "family" vacation. They insisted. So it was them, our family, my brother-in-law's family, and my sister-in-law's family... all sharing (usually) a four bedroom condo. Relaxing, it wasn't. More like utter chaos. No privacy. (No foolin' around, either).

Grocery shopping was a nightmare... you'd buy something, and another family member would have consumed it for lunch or dinner, or worse, the little kids cried for it, so Grandma served it to them, they hated it, it got thrown out. You know, fun stuff like that.

Evening dinners had to be everyone all together. Which ended up being Grandma picked the restaurant. Ever been to the unfortunately-named BJ's on the Bay? Five years running... I can see once overcooking & almost burning a deep-fried fish patty for a fish sandwich, but 5 years running? Or the rib place... JR's I think (they seem to be big on initials there). I'm told that their ribs are good. The short ribs (beef) are so-so, the steaks were dry, the chicken... never mind. Suffice to say that once you step away from their specialty, everything else was at best average.

Oh, and Grandma ruled the TV most afternoons and evenings. There's only one set in the condo, so either you watched what she wanted to watch, or sucked it up. (We usually went out to the Boardwalk most nights anyway, so this one wasn't THAT big a deal... but I hate watching a show, and having someone else change the channel to what THEY want to watch, because it's "their" rental.)

Never again. If we end up going the same weekend as the rest of the family, in the future, we'll at least get our own place. And set our own schedule.

Lol. That is a weekly event here. Ive grown used to it. I would rather spend my weekends at home relaxing, but no..

KK4AMI
02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Hell no.

:rofl: I'm only laughing because your story sounds so familiar. So we aren't the totally dysfunctional family I thought we were. We rented a pretty big house with three floors and TVs in all the bedrooms. It was pretty easy to hide from each other. I avoided the crowds by going to bed early and getting up early to beach comb. I did most of the BBQing, so I had to like what I got. The In-laws tried to direct our vacation as well, but as the nephews grew older, they went their own way and the families kinda did their own thing. My wife and I stopped going with the group a couple of years ago. One reason was us getting our boat, but the other was my nephews started bringing their 20 something year old girlfriends. It was pretty tiring for an old man to suck in his gut for a whole week and climb 3 flights of stairs behind a 20 yr old girl in a bikini without stepping on my tongue repeatedly.

W3WN
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
So the boss talked to her mother this afternoon.

Tonight she's in a panic. We HAVE to make a reservation NOW because all the rooms will be GONE.

We don't know where we're going yet, how long we're staying, when we're seeing the kids. But I have to make a reservation.

Oh, and all of the VA beaches are too far south. OCMD is MUCH closer to DC, due east. (Never mind that you can't go directly from OCMD to DC... there's this little thing called a Bay in the way). So her mom she thinks we should just go to OCMD, since she likes the place anyway.

*sigh*

Well, I tried.

*sigh*