PDA

View Full Version : Dead King Found in Car park

HUGH
02-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Excavations at a small private car park in the city of Leicester (pronounced "Lester") revealed the sleleton of a small man with a deformed spine.

On the basis that King Richard III, the last of the royal Plantagenet family, was killed by the forces of Henry Tudor at the battle of Bosworth in 1485, the skeleton was given a thorough examination by the University of Leicester. The age of the skeleton was confirmed by carbon dating and then DNA tests compared to current relatives (an easy family line to trace, unlike "Jones"). Richard III was known as "crook-back Dick as he had a badly curved spine.

The car park was on the site of an ancient church. Now there will be an argument as the University and locals want him re-interred in Leicester Cathedral

whereas some enthusiasts have called for burial in York or in London.

Henry Tudor was to become the infamous Henry VIII, not a nice man in spite of what the history teachers tell us. Richard II was quite a good monarch, it was propaganda from Henry's court that propagates the opposite story even today. Consider how many wives he had and the fate of some of them. I beleive Henry VII died of Syphilis.

Anyway, don't go digging up your ancestors just to see if they were who they were supposed to be.

N2NH
02-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Excavations at a small private car park in the city of Leicester (pronounced "Lester") revealed the sleleton of a small man with a deformed spine.

On the basis that King Richard III, the last of the royal Plantagenet family, was killed by the forces of Henry Tudor at the battle of Bosworth in 1485, the skeleton was given a thorough examination by the University of Leicester. The age of the skeleton was confirmed by carbon dating and then DNA tests compared to current relatives (an easy family line to trace, unlike "Jones"). Richard III was known as "crook-back Dick as he had a badly curved spine.

The car park was on the site of an ancient church. Now there will be an argument as the University and locals want him re-interred in Leicester Cathedral

whereas some enthusiasts have called for burial in York or in London.

Henry Tudor was to become the infamous Henry VIII, not a nice man in spite of what the history teachers tell us. Richard II was quite a good monarch, it was propaganda from Henry's court that propagates the opposite story even today. Consider how many wives he had and the fate of some of them. I beleive Henry VII died of Syphilis.

Anyway, don't go digging up your ancestors just to see if they were who they were supposed to be.

Interestingly he was born in Aquitaine. I have some family from there. He might be a distant relative.

I'm hearing good things about Richard II lately. I guess Shakespeare took some liberties then?

I wonder if we'll ever find the remains of one of our leaders under a parking lot? I can think of one that I wouldn't mind being interred there.

KG4CGC
02-06-2013, 08:22 AM
How auspicious as this coincides with Mary Leakey's 100th birthday! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Leakey)

KK4AMI
02-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Just goes to prove that you should put your "parking stub" (ticket) in a safe place. If you lose it, there will be hell to pay trying to get out of that lot.

N2RJ
02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
That's amazing. I've been following this story and I was doubtful that it was indeed him but I'm glad that they now can literally put this to rest.

Makes you wonder what's below YOUR house...

NQ6U
02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
I wonder if we'll ever find the remains of one of our leaders under a parking lot? I can think of one that I wouldn't mind being interred there.

Only one??

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/nixonmonument.gif

N2NH
02-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Nixon was bad, but this guy deserves a special place for people to remember him by...

http://i50.tinypic.com/eef69.jpg

HUGH
02-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Interestingly he was born in Aquitaine. I have some family from there. He might be a distant relative.

I'm hearing good things about Richard II lately. I guess Shakespeare took some liberties then?

Yes, Shakespeare would have liked to tell the truth about many monarchs and courtiers but his freedom was threatened from time to time, (sounds like the Murdoch clan), so he had to tow the line.

The Plantagenet line must have evolved into several surnames so a search of current French and English records helped. Have you tried tracing your ancestry back very far?

n2ize
02-07-2013, 12:24 AM

I am related to him. I had a relative from there as well who years later left and went into Siberia and married and raised a family. Hence my Siberian ancestry.

N8YX
02-07-2013, 07:28 AM
That's amazing. I've been following this story and I was doubtful that it was indeed him but I'm glad that they now can literally put this to rest.

Makes you wonder what's below YOUR house...

Jimmy Hoffa?

N2NH
02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, Shakespeare would have liked to tell the truth about many monarchs and courtiers but his freedom was threatened from time to time, (sounds like the Murdoch clan), so he had to tow the line.

The Plantagenet line must have evolved into several surnames so a search of current French and English records helped. Have you tried tracing your ancestry back very far?

So far my cousin traced the Normandy/Britagne line and it checked out with what we were told. Not so much success with the Gascony/Aquitaine line. Those results have been independently verified on both sides of the Atlantic at least twice. Someday I'll give it a shot. We have been invited back by those in Normandy who do not wish to be a part of France. That's been going on starting with my uncle and my father for nearly a century.

w2amr
02-08-2013, 05:35 AM
"Dead king found in parked car"
Damn dyslexia. :wtf: