PDA

View Full Version : Base-a-Ball in less than 3 Weeks.

N2NH
02-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Yep, games not some guys doing push-ups.

Any predictions on the World Series? Be interesting to look back from October-November...

Spring Training 2013 Schedule. (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?tcid=mm_mlb_schedule#date=02/21/2013) (MLB)

Spring Training 2013 Schedule. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/schedule) (ESPN)

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/spring/legendsfield.jpg

NQ6U
02-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Any predictions on the World Series?

Yes. The Padres will not be participating.

N2NH
02-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Neither will the NY Mess. But the Yanks are always in the hunt and you know it from day 1.

WX7P
02-04-2013, 10:01 AM
A's. It's all about the A's.

Want to see a Bay Bridge Series again minus the earthquake.

The A's versus Los Gigantes would COOL.

wa6mhz
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM

U beat me to it, Carl! No excitement over Baseball in SDG!

W3WN
02-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Spring training games start February 21st for some teams, all teams by February 23rd. (Early start due to this being a World Baseball Classic year)

ESPN is predicting that the Houston Astros will be eliminated from playoff contention on February 25th.

N8GAV
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
ESPN is predicting that the Houston Astros will be eliminated from playoff contention on February 25th.

So what date will OUR Pirates get eliminated this year Ron?

NQ6U
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM

In other words, the day after the Padres are eliminated.

X-Rated
02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
The Cubs will go undefeated this year. LOL.

W3WN
02-06-2013, 11:46 PM
So what date will OUR Pirates get eliminated this year Ron?Based on their performance the last two years, the Pirates will be leading the NL Central by 15 games on July 30th.
On July 31st, alarmed at this development and afraid of the consequences (to their budget), several subtle but ultimately bonehead trades will take place.
By September 1st, they will be out of contention, and by September 10th, they will clinch their 21st consecutive losing season.

However, by August 15th, advance ticket sales from the suckers loyal fan base will guarantee the ownership record profits for the year, most of which will be reported in the media as being ear marked for minor league player development, and most of which will actually (thanks to clever bookkeeping) end up in the pockets of the Nutting family (who now own ~80% of the team).

And, on or about September 20th, the Washington Nationals will clinch the NL East, led by newly acquired center fielder Andrew McCutchen. The next day, President Taft will will his first President's Race at Nationals Park.

N8GAV
02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Really, trade McCutchen? Well they have done stupid stuff like that in the past. Like pay Jason Thompson a million dollars NOT to play back in the 80's.

W3WN
02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Really, trade McCutchen? Well they have done stupid stuff like that in the past. Like pay Jason Thompson a million dollars NOT to play back in the 80's.
Well, I really don't expect them to do it THIS year. That was just a little bit of cynicism & sarcasm.

But they will. Mark my words. When his contract is a year out of being up, if he's up for the Big Bucks & wants them on his next contract, he will be traded. It's their standard operating practice... see Jason Bay for one recent example, Aramis Ramirez for another.

Cutch, Tabata, Marte, Alvarez... even home grown favorite Neil Walker... when they hit their peak earning potential, and want the pay equal to what similar caliber players on other teams are getting, they'll be on other teams. That's one of the reasons why the Pirates have had 20 years & counting of losing teams... why some call the Pirates a AAAA team. They develop superstars -- for others.

Sorta like the Kansas City "A's" did for the Yankees in the late 50's & early 60's.

XE1/N5AL
02-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Garrett Morris, as 'Chico Escuela': "Beisbol been berry berry good to me."

I really need to figure out how to get the games down here. MLB doesn't let the radio stations stream the game audio over the Internet. You can find a U.S. station which is scheduled to broadcast the game over the air, but when you go to their website, you find they have inserted a re-run of some other radio program into the Internet online time slot. MLB does have an online paid subscription service that I might look into.

I can get games on satellite TV, in Spanish, but some of the Spanish-language announcers want to announce the games as if they were soccer games -- by yakking all of the time. For example, bases are loaded, two outs, three balls and two strikes; and rather than STFU to enhance the drama and tension of the moment, the announcers will be babbling loudly about something not related to the action at hand. It sometimes annoys me so much that I just turn down the volume and watch the games without sound.

N2NH
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Garrett Morris, as 'Chico Escuela': "Beisbol been berry berry good to me."

:lol: A long-standing Met tradition.

I really need to figure out how to get the games down here. MLB doesn't let the radio stations stream the game audio over the Internet. You can find a U.S. station which is scheduled to broadcast the game over the air, but when you go to their website, you find they have inserted a re-run of some other radio program into the Internet online time slot. MLB does have an online paid subscription service that I might look into.

I can get games on satellite TV, in Spanish, but some of the Spanish-language announcers want to announce the games as if they were soccer games -- by yakking all of the time. For example, bases are loaded, two outs, three balls and two strikes; and rather than STFU to enhance the drama and tension of the moment, the announcers will be babbling loudly about something not related to the action at hand. It sometimes annoys me so much that I just turn down the volume and watch the games without sound.

I find the same problem when Fox does a game. There were times when they split the screen 4 ways, had a ticker on top another on the bottom, did a promo in the middle were talking about the news and missed the grand slam in the process. That was the only time that my plan didn't work.

The plan? Watch the game and mute the volume. I know enough about the game that I don't need to hear the running commentary. For night games, if you must listen to the play by play, a Super-Radio might do the trick. They can pick up stations from hundreds and even thousands of miles away. Just look up the station on the internet and tune in. A decent radio with a loop will also do about the same.

XE1/N5AL
02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks John, I'll try the AM radio suggestion. I have listened to West Coast AM stations from my house in Puerto Vallarta, but I haven't tried to tune anything from my house here in Guadalajara.

kb2vxa
02-08-2013, 07:35 PM
"I can get games on satellite TV, in Spanish, but some of the Spanish-language announcers want to announce the games as if they were soccer games -- by yakking all of the time."

HAH! You haven't heard American announcers double teaming with nonstop double talk. If you want to talk among yourselves sit on the farkin kill button and let us watch the game in peace!

N2NH
02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Pitchers and Catchers report tomorrow morning. Players by Friday. Provided their cellphones still work.

NQ6U
02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Pitchers and Catchers report tomorrow morning. Players by Friday. Provided their cellphones still work.

It might be merciful if that asteroid were to drop onto Petco Park.

w2amr
02-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Highlight of Phillies last season.
Eat tase punk!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Bd9trlA8YmU/S-HCxpbn0ZI/AAAAAAAAADk/o38McSkT3lU/s1600/Phillies+Tasered+Fan_Spoh.jpg

k0ews
02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
My state of Iowa is the most blacked out market in MLB. We are blacked out of all Cubs, Cardinals, Twins, Brewers, White Sox, and Royals games. As a result of that and my MLB subscription, I am a huge Dodgers fan. Plus, its a pleasure to listen to Vin Scully call a game, so i watch the Dodgers every day over the Internet. I am hoping for a Dodgers and Angels freeway series. Actually, SF, Oakland also look competitive. I won't predict anything other than I'm pretty sure that some of the World Series, if not all of it, will take place in the state of California.

N2NH
02-23-2013, 08:18 AM
First Spring Training Games are beginning today.

I wonder if they'll be on TV or the radio?

Grapefruit League Schedule (Florida) (http://springtrainingonline.com/features/master-schedule.htm)

Cactus League Schedule (South West US) (http://springtrainingonline.com/features/master-schedule-cactus.htm)

N2NH
02-23-2013, 08:37 AM
My state of Iowa is the most blacked out market in MLB. We are blacked out of all Cubs, Cardinals, Twins, Brewers, White Sox, and Royals games. As a result of that and my MLB subscription, I am a huge Dodgers fan. Plus, its a pleasure to listen to Vin Scully call a game, so i watch the Dodgers every day over the Internet. I am hoping for a Dodgers and Angels freeway series. Actually, SF, Oakland also look competitive. I won't predict anything other than I'm pretty sure that some of the World Series, if not all of it, will take place in the state of California.

If you are interested, some games are streamed on the web. Choose a team and find their broadcast schedule. Then look up the station on the web.

For instance, today's Yankees-Braves game is scheduled at 1:05 PM this afternoon. It is being broadcast on WCNN for the Atlanta market. Looking up their website, they have a page for streaming and I will listen to the game on that.

Games and Broadcast Sked here (http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/?&c_id=nyy&affiliateId=clubMENU#date=2/23/2013).

WCNN here. (http://tunein.com/radio/The-Fan-680-s27965/)

N2NH
03-01-2013, 12:07 AM
...the Yankees won 1 game for the month. It's big news that the oldest team in Baseball has Mariano Rivera and that Derek Jeter is taking his comeback slowly. This keeps up and they'll catch up to me in years...

N2NH
03-29-2013, 05:28 AM
Baseball Season starts Monday, April 1st (at least for the Yanks and Mets)...

NQ6U
03-29-2013, 05:45 AM
As a Padres fan, I approach the start of each new season with a combination of hope and dread. This year, it's leaning more to the dread.

W3WN
03-29-2013, 07:41 AM
...the Yankees won 1 game for the month. It's big news that the oldest team in Baseball has Mariano Rivera and that Derek Jeter is taking his comeback slowly. This keeps up and they'll catch up to me in years...Interesting trivia factoid:

Q: What do the Yankees & the Pirates have in common, related to the year 1992?

A: That was the last year that the Yankees had a losing record, and the Pirates had a winning one.

...it was also the year that The Undertaker started his undefeated streak at WWF/WWE Wrestlemania, as my daughter keeps reminding me. Now, if he loses this year...

...nah, he's not going to lose to that putz CM Punk...

W3WN
03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Baseball Season starts Monday, April 1st (at least for the Yanks and Mets)...And the Pirates. Current forecast for gametime (12:30 PM) temperatures of 43 degrees.

I'm going to be freezing my tuchus off. Again.

W3WN
03-29-2013, 07:43 AM
As a Padres fan, I approach the start of each new season with a combination of hope and dread. This year, it's leaning more to the dread.Could be worse.

You could be an Astros fan. (Or a Marlins fan, if there are any left after the crap Loria pulled this off-season)

N2NH
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Could be worse.

You could be an Astros fan. (Or a Marlins fan, if there are any left after the crap Loria pulled this off-season)

I can sympathize. I used to be a Mets fan. Then I stopped hitting my head against a wall. Their new stadium has more blind spots than any other in both leagues. They don't know how to treat their fans right either. Unless they're on SportsChannel, we don't get the Mets on TV here. We do get every Yankee game tho.

K7SGJ
03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm still trying to get to some spring traing games around here. Been busy as hell doing some moving of stuff from downtown to out here for the last several months. If I do get to a ball game, guess where I'm going to sit?

Behind..........

THIRD BASE