PDA

View Full Version : House Of Cards -- a Netflix exclusive

W4GPL
02-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Last night I watched episode one of 'House of Cards', a new series on Netflix. Stars Kevin Spacey -- so far it was very intriguing. A lot of character development, so it started off slow, but by the end I was hooked into at least watching the next episode. Netflix released all 13 episodes are once, so you can plow through it, but I had to go to bed.. Kevin Spacey plays a House Majority Whip passed over for Secretary of State in the new administration -- and then he plots his revenge.

http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_22483448/kevin-spacey-shines-house-cards-political-drama-netflix

Anyway, I thought I'd share if anyone else is interested. This is apparently a remake of a very popular British series.. anyone else watching?

WX7P
02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Last night I watched episode one of 'House of Cards', a new series on Netflix. Stars Kevin Spacey -- so far it was very intriguing. A lot of character development, so it started off slow, but by the end I was hooked into at least watching the next episode. Netflix released all 13 episodes are once, so you can plow through it, but I had to go to bed.. Kevin Spacey plays a House Majority Whip passed over for Secretary of State in the new administration -- and then he plots his revenge.

http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_22483448/kevin-spacey-shines-house-cards-political-drama-netflix

Anyway, I thought I'd share if anyone else is interested. This is apparently a remake of a very popular British series.. anyone else watching?

Sounds interesting. Of course, anything with Kevin Spacey is usually very good.

I'll check it out.

KB3LAZ
02-02-2013, 10:18 AM
No netflix or similar websites here and such sites are region restricted. I mean there are sites but they are not on the up and up and they are shit quality. I do miss netflix.

NQ6U
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Sounds interesting but I'm already addicted to Tremé. I don't need another bad video habit.

W4GPL
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Treme is good too.. I like most everything David Simon is involved in -- especially The Wire.

KG4CGC
02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Sounds interesting but I'm already addicted to Tremé. I don't need another bad video habit.

Tell me about. The XYL got me hooked on True Blood and then I almost got hooked on Game of Thrones and that one about a 1920s crime boss/bootleg liquor and I just had to back away from another series addiction. One is enough.

WX7P
02-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Treme is good too.. I like most everything David Simon is involved in -- especially The Wire.

My daughter sent me the first season of The Wire for Christmas. It was great.

I love the line "are you real police".

XE1/N5AL
02-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the tip, Jeff. Fortunately, the House Of Cards series appears on the Netflix Mexico service, as well. I'll give it a view.

I know what Travis means about "region restricted" issues with Internet video feeds. Occasionally, someone here will post a link to a video of interest; and when I go to take a peek, I get a message similar to: "We're sorry, this video cannot be viewed in your country". I think it happens more with video content that is bundled with the advertisement of products that are not marketed here. The video provider doesn't want the rest of the world consuming his bandwidth if they aren't a target for the commercials. Or, it could be that the video provider lacks the distribution rights to display certain content outside of his own area.

W4GPL
02-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Watched a few more episodes.. I'm sticking with it.. it's very dark.

XE1/N5AL
02-03-2013, 04:14 AM
I just finished watching the first five episodes. You're right, it is dark. But, it's also addictive. It moves fast at times and one really has to keep focused in order not to miss an important detail. It's not a show that has been "dumbed-down" to the grade school level.

KG4CGC
02-03-2013, 04:17 AM
I made the mistake of trying to follow LOST when it first came out.

XE1/N5AL
02-03-2013, 04:43 AM
But, in "LOST" one is purposely kept in the dark by the writers. Anyway, Spacey plays the House Majority Whip, from South Carolina's 5th Congressional District, out of Gaffney. The story line from one of the first episodes even involves the Peachoid Water Tower, that's impossible to miss while driving across your state.

NY3V
02-03-2013, 10:56 AM
But, in "LOST" one is purposely kept in the dark by the writers. Anyway, Spacey plays the House Majority Whip, from South Carolina's 5th Congressional District, out of Gaffney. The story line from one of the first episodes even involves the Peachoid Water Tower, that's impossible to miss while driving across your state.

That's because SC is so Peaceful! ;)

http://www2.wspa.com/member-center/share-this/print/?content=ar1681309

X-Rated
02-03-2013, 11:13 AM

LOST was a show that made me wonder if it was simply too complicated for my mentality or was it too juvenile? I concluded the latter.

KG4CGC
02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
That's because SC is so Peaceful! ;)

http://www2.wspa.com/member-center/share-this/print/?content=ar1681309

Aunt Polly Ticks and Guns → stage left.

suddenseer
02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Great show Jeff. I love Netflix, and Hulu +. I am still waiting to see the last season of Breaking Bad, and the next season of Mad Men on Netflix. As far as keeping up with convoluted series scripts, I was hooked on Twin Peaks from episode one (another Netflix offering).

KC2UGV
02-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a show I can get on board with. Hopefully, doesn't get cancelled early like all the other ones I've gotten into.

KG4CGC
02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a show I can get on board with. Hopefully, doesn't get cancelled early like all the other ones I've gotten into.

LOL! Mob Doctor. 2 or 3 episodes into the season and BYE BYE!

W4GPL
02-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a show I can get on board with. Hopefully, doesn't get cancelled early like all the other ones I've gotten into.All 13 episodes were released at once.. and they've already ordered a full 2nd season.

XE1/N5AL
02-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Speaking of "LOST", I went to the movie theater today to watch a movie from Spain, called "Cambio de Planes" (Change of Plans). Maybe twenty minutes into the film, a familiar face unexpectedly appeared:

N2NH
02-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Speaking of "LOST", I went to the movie theater today to watch a movie from Spain, called "Cambio de Planes" (Change of Plans). Maybe twenty minutes into the film, a familiar face unexpectedly appeared:

Cowthief?

N2NH
02-04-2013, 06:30 AM

Same here. What a mess that show turned out to be. A worthless mess.

W4GPL
02-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Another review..

That’s one of the wins for the format that Netflix offers. If this were a traditional television series, I would have had to wait a week between the first and second episodes, and that would’ve colored my feelings about it rather differently. Being able to watch the next installment immediately after the first made me retroactively like the premiere more; I got to the pay-off more quickly, and to a second episode with more momentum and less awkward exposition.

Also a plus for Netflix: The episodes of the show can be whatever length they need to be, and not edited down (or filled out) to fit a time slot predetermined by broadcast schedules or commercial breaks. It’s not something that is immediately perceptible, but as time goes on you start to notice it; nothing feels rushed, or stretched out of natural shape, and the story flows more naturally.

In the end, House of Cards is a victory for Netflix. It may not be the greatest show on television — how likely was that to be the case with the company’s first try? – but it is a good show, and one that benefits significantly by being freed of the time and scheduling restrictions that television typically imposes.

Think of it as the continuing evolution of the television series: As the cable channel model freed dramas from the mandatory demands of 20-odd episodes a season, the Netflix model frees them from mandatory running times or artificial cliffhangers preceding commercials. Whether or not something that doesn’t actually air on television could be described as “the future of television” is perhaps debatable, but if this is the beginning of that future, it’s off to a pretty good start.

(http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/house-of-cards-review/)http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/house-of-cards-review/

X-Rated
02-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Same here. What a mess that show turned out to be. A worthless mess.

It would have been much better with Ginger and Mary Ann.

W4GPL
02-07-2013, 03:12 AM
So.. I'm at episode 6.. I won't offer any spoilers, but holy shit.. these people are creepy!

I'm staring to think I may be a very naive individual when it comes to how the other half lives.

XE1/N5AL
02-08-2013, 05:14 AM
I just finished episode 11 ...it's the heaviest one so far. The opening location shots of every episode always leave me nostalgic for the time I lived in the D.C. area during the mid-90's. One day, it might be nice to live there again. Just let me know if The Island's congressional seat ever becomes vacant.

W4GPL
02-09-2013, 10:47 PM
​I just hit episode 11 too. Gawd damn.

XE1/N5AL
02-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Just finished Episode 13, and of course we're left hanging and wanting more. TV series veteran, Gerald McRaney, enters the lineup for the last two episodes as an influential, multi-billionaire nuclear tycoon. I can't wait for the next season!

------
I just bought the DVDs this afternoon for my next viewing project: the second season of "Heroes del Norte" (Heroes of the North). It is a fictional comedy about a group of five misfits: a womanizing small town police chief, a self-important symphony conductor, two foolish rock musicians and a naive cheese-selling Mennonite; who form a musical band after happenstance throws them together. It's a very funny and nationally popular series, but I have to admit that, for me, it isn't always easy to follow all the words. The fast-moving Spanish dialog is loaded with "redneck" slang and regional humor, mixed with a healthy dose of double entendre.

W4GPL
02-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Gerald McRaneyWeird. I was just talking about him this morning.. unaware he was part of the House of Cards series.

W4GPL
02-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Getting ready to watch the last two episodes of @HouseOfCards (https://twitter.com/HouseOfCards) on @Netflix (https://twitter.com/Netflix) - ice cream or popcorn? Decisions, decisions..

XE1/N5AL
02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Don't do it... It will only leave you wanting for more!

W4GPL
02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
The six stages of "House of Cards" grief..

3. FRUSTRATION: What the hell, Netflix. You didn't even give us a premiere date for season 2 and we're just supposed to sit around and wait until that announcement comes out, and then, you guessed it, wait some more. You, the viewer, find yourself angrily Googling "House of Cards season 2 premiere" only to come up empty-handed with a meaningless article from EW.com. "Screw this," you think. (In therapy down the line, you'll eventually realize you were never mad at Netflix, but rather yourself for lacking the self control to parse out your viewing experience. You were childish, eating all of your Halloween candy in one sitting and now stuck with a stomach ache and an empty Pumpkin-shaped basket. "Radical Self-Forgiveness" is available for purchase from Amazon's Kindle store, when you're ready.)

http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_air/2013/02/the-six-stages-of-house-of-cards-grief.html

XE1/N5AL
02-10-2013, 10:25 PM
^^^Ha! That pretty much sums it all up!

suddenseer
02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I must not have any life. i watched all the whole season in one weekend after reading about it here

W4GPL
02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I assume you liked it if you soldiered on for all 13 episodes? :)

suddenseer
02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
I assume you liked it if you soldiered on for all 13 episodes? :) That is my kind of program, almost believable, maybe based on real people. I also like Breaking Bad, Madmen, Sopranos, QAF (of course), Dexter, Six Feet Under, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Just to name a few.

al2n
02-18-2013, 06:02 PM
May have to watch this to fill the void while waiting for my regular viewing choices to have the next season released on Netflix.

Been watching Breaking Bad, Fringe, Falling Skies, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, and have tried to watch American Horror Story, but just cannot get into it.

Have not had cable since we moved and doubt I will get it again. Plenty of choices between Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. High speed internet down here is awesome and cheap. Up north I was paying 80 bucks a month for 4 meg service with a cap of 80GB. Down here I pay 25 bucks for 15 megs with no limits.

W4GPL
02-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Welcome to civilization. I think you'll like it. ;)

NQ6U
02-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Do not start watching Tremé unless you are looking for a serious video addiction.

XE1/N5AL
02-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Got an email (in Spanish) from Netflix saying that "House of Cards", Season 2, will be available on 2/14/2014!!!

suddenseer
02-08-2014, 11:13 AM
I am looking forward to it. I don't have time to watch the whole series in one weekend, but I am already hooked on this show.

HUGH
02-09-2014, 09:10 AM
The original House of Cards was very sinister and creepy, it made me look askance at all politicians and their methods and motives. Apparently yours follows the British version quite well and the producers have retained the writer/adaptor on board. Pity it's restricted to Netflix.

One change, which I puzzled over briefly, was changing the principal politician's name from "Urquhart" to "Underwood" but it was said that most Americans wouldn't be able to pronounce "Urquhart". (Sounds like "errcut" in my parlance).

koŘm
02-15-2014, 11:21 AM
!!!!!!.........Deeee-amn.........!

No Spoilers Please.

W4GPL
02-15-2014, 12:31 PM
My jaw is still on the floor after the first episode..

WŘTKX
02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
I recently started a Netflix subscription, and watched the first episode of Season 1.

It's so damn good that I want the YL to watch it, so we can watch it together.

If she gets into it. Personally, I'm OK with Grimm and such but this is much better.

suddenseer
02-16-2014, 12:58 AM
OMG!! Saw episode 1 of the new season. That was intense, and a total surprise. How can it get more intense?