PDA

View Full Version : Playboy magazines

kf0rt
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
No, really!

This isn't so much a "for sale" ad as maybe a search for knowledge.

I have in my possession a collection of Playboy Magazine that dates back to 1972 or so (figure 40 years). Might be missing a half dozen issues from the mid 70's (seem to recall loaning out a few issues that never made it back); current to the latest issue. Most are in "new" condition, but feel free to add your "sticky pages" comments.

How does one divest themselves of such a hoard? Any ideas that I might not have thought of already? I've checked eBay; not worth the hassle. Ditto Craigslist. After the little research I've done, I'd pretty much give them away (they're really worth "next to nothing"). So far, it's looking like my best bet is to dump 10-20 pounds of them in the recycling bin every recycling day until they're gone and I'm cool with that, too.

Oh, yeah... just doing some basement clean-up here. And no, the wife didn't "make me." :rofl:

Thoughts and smart-ass comments are both welcome. :lol: :evil:

Got a record collection (33 and a thirds vinyl) that I'm getting rid of too, but just happen to have a used book/record shop nearby that will probably pay "going wholesale rate" for those.

Ah... the foibles of youth, eh?

WØTKX
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-most-collectible-playboy-magazines.html

January, 2000. The theme for this issue was 100 most beautiful women of the 20th Century. This made this issue a true collector’s item.
January, 1979. This was Playboy’s 25th Anniversary issue. Candy Loving was featured as their centerfold. This can be a hard issue to find in mint condition.

January, 1981. This is a special issue because it is rich in content. The cover features model Barbara Bach. There is an interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono and a fictional piece by Stephen King inside this issue.
June, 1957. This issue was known as Playboy’s cufflinks cover. It was all white, except for a pair of bunny cufflinks that sat in the right hand corner.
March, 1964. This issue was special because of the interview with philosopher Ayn Rano.
October, 1977. Barbara Streisand graced the cover and gave the magazine an interview.
December, 1968. Actress Cyntahia Myers graced the cover and was also Playmate of the Month.
March, 1968. Jane Fonda was featured in pictures within this issue.
January, 1986. This issue was known was Andy’s Warhol’s cover.
July, 1988. Cindy Crawford graced the cover of this issue.

Many of the above issues of Playboy can still be purchased from $3.00 to $5.00. Many people who specialize in collectibles think these issues could jump as much $30 to $40 an issue, if they are kept in mint condition.

Posted on: Jun. 27, 2010

kf0rt
01-29-2013, 06:14 PM
http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-most-collectible-playboy-magazines.html

Pretty sure I have 6 of those. Nothing much from the 50's or 60's, though. Might be worth culling the collectible issues? (But not for $3-5). Interesting that they're now reprinting old interviews -- just noticed the Ayn Rand interview a month or two ago. And now combine Jan/Feb into a single issue.

At one time, I thought this stuff would be pretty collectible (or wouldn't have saved it), but I think the digital age has had an impact on that. You can now buy the entire library on a hard drive for about $300, including the hard drive. eBay indicates that most (and by most, I mean like 95%) go unsold. A lot of single-issue sales that actually happen sell for 99 cents and the shipping is about 4x that.

Probably missed the timing, eh wut? Might make sense to keep the 5-10 most collectible and let the rest go to tomorrows cardboard boxes.

W7UUU
01-29-2013, 08:18 PM
I hope they're not sticky ;)

Dave
W7UUU

kf0rt
01-29-2013, 08:55 PM
I hope they're not sticky ;)

Dave
W7UUU

I *knew* that was coming. Er, so to speak. :lol:

KG4CGC
01-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Ever see that episode on that fake pawn shop show where some guy brings in a ton of old Playboy mags and the manager tells a young girl (employee) to catalog them and she puts on gloves and a mask?

N8YX
01-30-2013, 09:40 AM
People still PAY for teh pr0n??!!?? :doh:

n6hcm
01-31-2013, 04:13 AM
People still PAY for teh pr0n??!!?? :doh:

only if they want it printed on dead trees.

used to be there were dealers who'd buy, uh, second-hand erotica ... the one i knew of in lower manhattan who bought/sold gay erotica from the 1950's and 1960's shut down in the early 2000's.

kf0rt
01-31-2013, 10:17 PM
Into the recycling bin it goes. Kinda thought it would go that way.