PDA

View Full Version : Problem and Solution

ka4dpo
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
This is the problem and it's a killer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Solution: Kill the buggers using AR-15's with high capac ity magazines. We get target practise on moving targets and a great big envirionmental problem gets solved.

Am I good or what??:clap:

N8YX
01-29-2013, 05:27 PM
This is the problem and it's a killer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Solution: Kill the buggers using AR-15's with high capacity magazines.suppressed 22 Shorts. We get target practise on moving targets and a great big envirionmental problem gets solved.

Am I good or what??:clap:

Adjusted slightly.

There's also the simple expedient of spaying/neutering your animals then keeping the damned things indoors.

KJ3N
01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Ren might have something to say about this. ;)

n2ize
01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
That is a lie. They don't want to admit that they are deliberately killing all the birds and they are blaming it on cats.

KG4CGC
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
If you do that then dogs have to go too. Dogs eat children. State law. True story.

kb2vxa
01-30-2013, 03:52 AM
"The results admittedly come with wide ranges and uncertainties."

There you go, they admit their findings are bogus soooo...

You who have kitty cats
must have a code that you can live by
and so become yourself
because they won't tell you goodbye
Treat your kitties well
their cat haters hell
will slowly go by
and feed them tuna fish and kitty treats
the one they pick's
the one you'll know by.
Don't you ever ask them why
if they told you, you would cry
so just look at them and sigh
and know they love you.

N2NH
01-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Like anything that involves responsibility, all you have to do is be a responsible cat owner. We've never let our cats roam. But if you can't control guns, then you won't control cats. It's not a cat thing. It's a people thing. I'd imagine this is worse right here in the USA where people have to ask a question about everything and belabor it until it is nothing more than a thread from what was a rag.

KC2UGV
01-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Keep them indoors, and problem solved. If you must allow them outdoors (Barn cats), spay/neuter to prevent population explosions.

Of course, this subject, like others, people want the privileges, but none of the inherent duties.

KB3LAZ
01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Responsible cat owners are the problem. Responsible owners of anything are always the problem, no? ;)

On a more serious note, my animals are and always have been inside animals that go outside. I dont want them shitting in a box in my house, thank you. However, you should go outside with your pets or at least watch them because even well trained animals wander off at times.

Now, if these animals are such a problem, cook them. Lots of people in need of food around the world. Dont just kill them off, make use of them. o0

W5GA
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
I have several cats that are free to roam, as I also have a mouse/rat/gopher/mole/vole problem. All are neutered.
Funniest thing I've ever seen is a cat playing with a gopher, and getting bit by said gopher in the process. Cat was decidedly quick in showing his displeasure.

W3WN
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Wait, wait, wait. Someone actually spent good money to study the fact that cats are predators & that they catch, kill, and eat birds & other wildlife?

Who sponsored this? The Department of Redundancy Department? Who's in charge... US Army Captain Obvious (Ret)?

No wonder this country is going broke.

KC2UGV
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Wait, wait, wait. Someone actually spent good money to study the fact that cats are predators & that they catch, kill, and eat birds & other wildlife?

Who sponsored this? The Department of Redundancy Department? Who's in charge... US Army Captain Obvious (Ret)?

No, someone spent good money to determine, that yet again, humans are promoting invasive species. And, the extent at which we are damaging the ecosystem.

ka4dpo
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM

I could have told them that for free. Our cats have always been indoor outdoor cats and I can't tell you how many eviscerted critters I have cleaned up off of the garage floor and steps. They are older now and don't hunt as much as they used to but I still get the occasional present.

My wife used to get all upset about it but the fact is, that's what cats do.....

wa6mhz
01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Phoebe and Penelope are not allowed outside under any conditons. Shadow, the puss that was the housecat before the 2 girls, went in and out until he ran into a Coyote, and that was that for him. So the 2 new cats are kept inside as coyotes are anxiously awaiting any escapes. Not much hunting inside the house. Maybe an occasional house spider.

I remember Shadow bringing in a live gopher and releasing inside the house. Wife had to get a glove on to grab it and toss it back outside.

WX7P
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Phoebe and Penelope are not allowed outside under any conditons. Shadow, the puss that was the housecat before the 2 girls, went in and out until he ran into a Coyote, and that was that for him. So the 2 new cats are kept inside as coyotes are anxiously awaiting any escapes. Not much hunting inside the house. Maybe an occasional house spider.

I remember Shadow bringing in a live gopher and releasing inside the house. Wife had to get a glove on to grab it and toss it back outside.

My birman cat used to do that in Sacramento. He'd catch these little kangaroo rats or mice and then bring them inside to play. Sometimes, he'd do it at night and we'd see the (dead) results in the morning.

WX7P
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
I have several cats that are free to roam, as I also have a mouse/rat/gopher/mole/vole problem. All are neutered.
Funniest thing I've ever seen is a cat playing with a gopher, and getting bit by said gopher in the process. Cat was decidedly quick in showing his displeasure.

I let mine out too. They get neurotic if they are imprisoned, especially feral rescues. We are having some trouble with cats since the move here. They really want to go out, but it's COLD. The Birman spends a good deal of time crying because he's bored out of his skull.

We had voles in Tulelake. Our two feral kittens really took care of that problem. We know they were successful, because when we moved away and came back a few months later, the damn holes had sprung up in the yard again.

Killing things is what cats do. My sig line cat was a pathological murderer. She never ate much of what we gave her, she just went and got her own dinner.

wa6mhz
01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
That puss looks like it is getting some RF burns from the ladder line!

W3WN
01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
That puss looks like it is getting some RF burns from the ladder line!Nah. It's yawning because it doesn't have HF yet, so it has to just sit there and watch.

ka4dpo
01-30-2013, 04:19 PM

As you know I grew up in Laguna Beach and my parents still live there. When I was a kid you could not get withing 100 yards of a Cyote before they would dissapear. Problem is that the developers paved Southern California from Point Conception to the Mexican border and Cyotes have no place left to go so they have become urban preditors.

A couple of years ago my mom's little cat was out on the deck and a Cyote ran up the hill, jumped over my mom and grabbed kitty (it's name). Needless to say my mom was really upset so her new cat, Little Annie, is not allowed to go outside. The damed Cyotes will eat anything they can find, even smaller dogs.

kb2vxa
01-30-2013, 11:57 PM
"But if you can't control guns, then you won't control cats."

That's for DAYUM sure!

NQ6U
01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Never give a cat a gun. If you do, he/she will be knocking over the nearest Petco before you know it.

KG4CGC
01-31-2013, 12:02 AM
Like anything that involves responsibility, all you have to do is be a responsible cat owner. We've never let our cats roam. But if you can't control guns, then you won't control cats. It's not a cat thing. It's a people thing. I'd imagine this is worse right here in the USA where people have to ask a question about everything and belabor it until it is nothing more than a thread from what was a rag.

HAAH! Hell yeah! Exactly!

ka4dpo
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Never give a cat a gun. If you do, he/she will be knocking over the nearest Petco before you know it.

Muffy never misses. NEVER.8764

X-Rated
01-31-2013, 04:12 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/mgunasek/th_machine-gun-cat-animation.jpg

Mine needs the high capacity magazine.

kb2vxa
01-31-2013, 11:45 PM
"Never give a cat a gun. If you do, he/she will be knocking over the nearest Petco before you know it."

Hand over all your catnip... NOW!

ka4dpo
02-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Stinkin Cat ate my brudda......8798

kb2vxa
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Is that the groundhog that bit Mikey Bloominidiot?

VK3ZL
02-05-2013, 04:24 AM
Australia is plagued with Feral Cats..In some places there are professional shooters paid to hunt them...Once cats go feral and breed over a few generations they tend to be much larger than domestic cats and have Tabby coats that blend in with the bush background etc..They are really excellent hunters and one cat over a year will kill a significant number of Native animals and birds..A huge problem across Australia due to our remote unpopulated inland areas..I guess that the US has the same problem, domestic cats not being a Native animal..

I have always been a cat lover and see the tragedy of domestic cats turned out and gone wild to try and make an existence in our harsh bush...They breed of course just adding to the already serious predation problem on Native wildlife...Their only predators are Dingoes and Feral wild dogs..Feral wild dogs are becoming as big problem here as cats and in fact as they breed and revert back towards their wolf type ancestors they are a real threat to domestic farm animals such as sheep and young cattle..

There are laws in place in many suburban areas in the cities and larger towns here....All cats and dogs must be chipped sterilised and registered and local councils charge a small yearly fee for owners...If a stray cat or dog is taken to the Pound it is scanned for identity...If no identifying chip then the animals are either put up for adoption or euthanised if they are considered not suitable..

Many cat owners these days have a "cat run" outside usually consisting of wire tunnels around the garden...The cats live indoors but can also go outside and enjoy some freedom...Except for breeders, all domestic cats should be sterilised...This way at least they can't add to the feral problem if they escape from home...However as much as the cat and dog problem is it is the owners responsibility to take care of their animals properly..

I destroy every cat that comes on to my property...That is a kindness..

Bob..VK3ZL..

kb2vxa
02-05-2013, 12:05 PM
We have a feral dog problem at airports, people abandon them there and they form hunting packs. Not good for business when they threaten patrons. I worked as a parking tolls cashier at Newark Liberty and once in a while late at night out in the boondocks I'd hear gunshots, the PAPD having a bit of live target practice. Cats weren't a particular problem, I only saw one obviously an abandoned pet highly socialized that would hang out in the booth with me. The airport was overrun with mice at the time and every morning the supervisor coming on duty would have to fight the cat to remove the pile of presents left at the toll house door. We had a wonderful pet until one day the poor thing got run over by a bus.

I never saw a feral cat until I lived in the rural southern part of the county and saw plenty in the back yard. Then one day I went in the little used garage and surprised one that took off like a shot, then had to remove the "nest" it had built that reeked to high heaven. Cat spoor is one of the stinkiest and most powerful things on the planet, once in a while it tweaks my beak passing a bush where a cat hangs out. BTW, ferals are not to be confused with strays rather well fed by neighbors and may be considered neighborhood cats still rather cautious of humans, ferals are truly wild and won't let you come within a hundred feet before they activate their rocket engines.

I fully agree, it IS the owner's responsibility, no, make that duty to care for any pet properly. If you can't or won't take care of it you shouldn't have a pet in the first place. Bottom line; a pet is a member of the family, treat it as such!

AC0TX
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
In Minnesota where I am from and now in Texas
Thee seems to be no feral dogs or cats at all , as the extreme cold kills everything.

Here in Texas, this feral cat comes to our door morning and evening for food. While the boy is eating we can pet him.
Strangely an underground group of old ladies, had the boy neutered, a couple years back
There is some cheap doctor that does for $35.00

Just don't look at the Vet School diploma too closely or ask for his Green card!

KK4AMI
02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Australia is plagued with Feral Cats..In some places there are professional shooters paid to hunt them...Once cats go feral and breed over a few generations they tend to be much larger than domestic cats and have Tabby coats that blend in with the bush background etc..They are really excellent hunters and one cat over a year will kill a significant number of Native animals and birds..A huge problem across Australia due to our remote unpopulated inland areas..I guess that the US has the same problem, domestic cats not being a Native animal..

I have always been a cat lover and see the tragedy of domestic cats turned out and gone wild to try and make an existence in our harsh bush...They breed of course just adding to the already serious predation problem on Native wildlife...Their only predators are Dingoes and Feral wild dogs..Feral wild dogs are becoming as big problem here as cats and in fact as they breed and revert back towards their wolf type ancestors they are a real threat to domestic farm animals such as sheep and young cattle..

There are laws in place in many suburban areas in the cities and larger towns here....All cats and dogs must be chipped sterilised and registered and local councils charge a small yearly fee for owners...If a stray cat or dog is taken to the Pound it is scanned for identity...If no identifying chip then the animals are either put up for adoption or euthanised if they are considered not suitable..

Many cat owners these days have a "cat run" outside usually consisting of wire tunnels around the garden...The cats live indoors but can also go outside and enjoy some freedom...Except for breeders, all domestic cats should be sterilised...This way at least they can't add to the feral problem if they escape from home...However as much as the cat and dog problem is it is the owners responsibility to take care of their animals properly..

I destroy every cat that comes on to my property...That is a kindness..

Bob..VK3ZL..

The news has been focusing on you guys lately. It seems like Australia is being plagued with many things, ie. rabbits, cats, feral dogs, fires, floods and as of late a Tsunami? What deity did you all piss off?

VK3ZL
02-06-2013, 03:50 AM
The news has been focusing on you guys lately. It seems like Australia is being plagued with many things, ie. rabbits, cats, feral dogs, fires, floods and as of late a Tsunami? What deity did you all piss off?

I think it is her high Lordshit Juliar Gillard the current Australian Primed Monster..She is starting to show signs of taking the country over and changing it into a dictatorship just like someone did in Europe during the 1930's...

However as we talk she is losing all support from the general populace and will soon be sent packing...Then we will see calmer weather, the feral animal and human population will all die out and I won't have to lay in bed at night with my trusty old mate, Harry R....Good times are ahead and we will all live happily after...

Meanwhile Juliar and her pet hair dresser companion Timmy, the First Bloke, will be cast aside and probably won't even be written down in history as the worst leader Australia has ever seen...Not worth the ink..

Now it's bloody hot, 39C, otherwise things are steady as she goes....Get me another Vic Bitter ...

Bob..VK3ZL..

ka4dpo
02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I think it is her high Lordshit Juliar Gillard the current Australian Primed Monster..She is starting to show signs of taking the country over and changing it into a dictatorship just like someone did in Europe during the 1930's...

However as we talk she is losing all support from the general populace and will soon be sent packing...Then we will see calmer weather, the feral animal and human population will all die out and I won't have to lay in bed at night with my trusty old mate, Harry R....Good times are ahead and we will all live happily after...

Meanwhile Juliar and her pet hair dresser companion Timmy, the First Bloke, will be cast aside and probably won't even be written down in history as the worst leader Australia has ever seen...Not worth the ink..

Now it's bloody hot, 39C, otherwise things are steady as she goes....Get me another Vic Bitter ...

Bob..VK3ZL..

Sorry to hear that you have a crummy leadership at the moment, one sympathises.. All I can say is I love VB, I would move there just for the beer.

VK3ZL
02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Sorry to hear that you have a crummy leadership at the moment, one sympathises.. All I can say is I love VB, I would move there just for the beer.

Gidday John..I worked all day yesterday in the Fire Divisional Command center near here....38C outside and 23C inside...When we knocked off for the day our first stop on the way home was a little pub close by...Picked up a 6 pack of VB and took the long way home and enjoyed a really nice cold beer...Bloody marvellous stuff and a real PMU after a days work..We may have bastards running the country but us real Aussies still live a pretty good life..Now VB is a real solution to the problem, Feral Cats aside, HA....

Bob..VK3ZL..

ka4dpo
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Gidday John..I worked all day yesterday in the Fire Divisional Command center near here....38C outside and 23C inside...When we knocked off for the day our first stop on the way home was a little pub close by...Picked up a 6 pack of VB and took the long way home and enjoyed a really nice cold beer...Bloody marvellous stuff and a real PMU after a days work..We may have bastards running the country but us real Aussies still live a pretty good life..Now VB is a real solution to the problem, Feral Cats aside, HA....

Bob..VK3ZL..

No argumet Bob.:agree: A couple of years ago when I was still working an Australian Major who was assigned to my branch got me a couple of cases of the stuff from home and it is one of the best beers I have ever tasted, especially ice cold. They can keep all of that hoppy dark bitter stuff, when it's hot that is one the best thirst quenchers on the planet.. I don't care what anyone says. you guys down under know how to do some things right.:yes: