PDA

View Full Version : Butane or Regular ?

n2ize
01-29-2013, 04:08 PM
What type of lighter do you prefer ? A butane or a regular ? By "regular" I mean the type that uses regular lighter fluid, much like the Zippo's. I prefer a regular. matter of fact I just resurected one of my old Zippo's. I put in a new flint (borrowed from a cheap disposable butane), filled it with some Ronsonol and it's working great.

PA5COR
01-29-2013, 04:11 PM
I have 4 zippo's and a bunch refill butane lighters, stormproofed as well.
Depends on what i like that week, normally the butane lighter is the choice, but sometimes one of the Zippo's gets resurrected ad a week the chance to do what it does best, light up my handrolled ciggie.

WØTKX
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Butane soldering iron.

KG4CGC
01-29-2013, 04:23 PM
If you're planning on lighting tobacco, butane. Of course is you are a purist, a sheet of cedar wood to light up.

VE7DCW
01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Butane soldering iron.

Agreed!! especially for all those cold weather heat robbing outdoor soldering applications on antennas ......a religious tool in my books!! :agree:

WØTKX
01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Butane torch too. I use that to solder more antenna connections than the iron.

kb2vxa
01-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Actually it's isobutane also used as a propellant and refrigerant R-600a.

KC2UGV
01-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Butane to light fires and candles. Preferably, the long necked lighters.

N2RJ
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
MAPP

Actually I have a number of different lighters. Some that use lighter fluid but the majority use butane. I have a butane torch that I use.

For the wood stove when I need to re-light I just use a long match.

n2ize
01-31-2013, 02:52 PM
As I mentioned my preference is for a regular. But I do need to get a pack of flints. The flint I borrowed from the el cheapo disposable butane doesn;t seem to work to well in the Zippo. Doesn't give me a big and hot enough spark. Need to pick up a pack of Ronson or Zippo flints.

n2ize
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
During the 70's mostly hippies used butanes. They considered butanes to be much cooler than regulars. But most of us greasers stuck with regular lighters. What was good enough in the 1950's was good enough in the present. We didn't need new fangled junk from the later 60's/early 70's.

KG4CGC
02-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Zippo lighters are nice objects but they stink. They smell bad.

n2ize
02-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Eventually you learn to love the smell of lighter fluid.

KG4CGC
02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Eventually you learn to love the smell of lighter fluid.

Next time you grill outdoors, be sure to spritz your food with the lighter fluid.

NQ6U
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM

I was at a tobacconist's shop when someone relatively new to cigar culture (for lack of a better term) whipped out a Zippo to fire up a pricey smoke he'd just purchased. The proprietor visibly blanched, asked the guy to stop, then reached under the counter, handed him up a multi-flame butane lighter and told him to keep it.

KC2UGV
02-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I was at a tobacconist's shop when someone relatively new to cigar culture (for lack of a better term) whipped out a Zippo to fire up a pricey smoke he'd just purchased. The proprietor visibly blanched, asked the guy to stop, then reached under the counter, handed him up a multi-flame butane lighter and told him to keep it.

Now that was funny. I've seen the same thing too (Short of handing someone a free lighter).

ka4dpo
02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I quit smoking a long time ago but I still have a bunch of lighters, both butane and Zippos scattered around in drawers. Unlike most ex smokers who get all pissy when someone lights up I actually like the smell of tobacco smoke, I just can't stand to smoke it anymore.

n2ize
02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Next time you grill outdoors, be sure to spritz your food with the lighter fluid.

I said I like the smell of lighter fluid. I didn't say I like to taste/eat it.

n2ize
02-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Some people think the flame from a Zippo will impart a naphtha taste to the cigar. I don't buy it. I've lit cigarettes, cigars, and pipes with naphtha and never experienced any petroleum taste.

KG4CGC
02-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I said I like the smell of lighter fluid. I didn't say I like to taste/eat it.

You will taste it if you use it to light tobacco. That was my point.

W7XF
02-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't smoke (before, during, or after sex inclusive), but I keep a couple of butane lighters in the truck....they work great to heat up a key to thaw out locks!

n2ize
02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
You will taste it if you use it to light tobacco. That was my point.

I've used Zippo's to light all kinds of tobacco and never noticed any lighter fluid / naphtha taste.

In the old days if we didn;t have lighter fluid handy we would fill the lighters with benzene. Matter of fact one of the recommended uses on the benzine can was "cigarette lighter fluid".

KC2UGV
02-05-2013, 07:49 AM
I've used Zippo's to light all kinds of tobacco and never noticed any lighter fluid / naphtha taste.

In the old days if we didn;t have lighter fluid handy we would fill the lighters with benzene. Matter of fact one of the recommended uses on the benzine can was "cigarette lighter fluid".

Then you have no taste buds.

One of the reasons many prefer zippos to light cigarettes is the flavor imparted.

n2ize
02-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Then you have no taste buds.

One of the reasons many prefer zippos to light cigarettes is the flavor imparted.

I suspect the taste is in their imaginations. Naphtha is extremely volatile and is going to burn off in a matter of seconds.

KC2UGV
02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
I suspect the taste is in their imaginations. Naphtha is extremely volatile and is going to burn off in a matter of seconds.

There's more than naptha in lighter fluid. But yes, it's highly volatile. Which is why the vapors travel through the cigarette easily, right to the taste buds, prior to combustion. Which lends a taste for the few couple of drags. You get the same effect (Different taste) when lit with a match. A butane lighter tends to impart no taste.

kb2vxa
02-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Then let the match burn for a few seconds first until the paraffin burns off. Whatever you do DON'T be impatient or you'll have that nasty phosphorus taste in your mouth. BTW, if you run out of matches and don't have a lighter a Weller 8100 soldering gun works.