PDA

View Full Version : Adobe + McCaffe Security Scan Plus

n2ize
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
A friend of mine recently installed Adobe flash player on his Windoze system. He claims that the flash plugin came bundled with McCaffe security Scan Plus and it downloaded and installed it without his permission. He now claims that Mccaffe SS+ seems to be slowing down his system, particularly when he watches UToob vids.

Is this possible ? Is flash for Windblows bundled with McCafee ? If so can the user uninstall McCafee Security Scan Plus without screwing up flash ?

W4GPL
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't know if it's bundled. But he can uninstall McAfee... and if for some reason it screws up Flash, just redownload it.

KJ3N
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
A friend of mine recently installed Adobe flash player on his Windoze system. He claims that the flash plugin came bundled with McCaffe security Scan Plus and it downloaded and installed it without his permission. He now claims that Mccaffe SS+ seems to be slowing down his system, particularly when he watches UToob vids.

Is this possible ? Is flash for Windblows bundled with McCafee ? If so can the user uninstall McCafee Security Scan Plus without screwing up flash ?

Your friend, like most people, never bothered to notice the dialog box that has a checkmark next to the "Install (s)McAfee security Scan Plus" box. He most certainly gave permission for it to be installed.... by not bothering to READ the dialog boxes presented.

Never attribute malicious intent to user stupidity. :roll:

ad4mg
01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Your friend, like most people, never bothered to notice the dialog box that has a checkmark next to the "Install (s)McAfee security Scan Plus" box. He most certainly gave permission for it to be installed.... by not bothering to READ the dialog boxes presented.

Yup. I just set my new machine up a couple of weeks ago. Saw that very dialog box when I installed the flash player. It did 'ax' first...

KG4CGC
01-29-2013, 05:01 PM

And that's how Mrs. Barkeep got crap on her machine.

KJ3N
01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
And that's how Mrs. Barkeep got crap on her machine.

That's how 90% of people get crap on their machine. Morans..... :roll:

WØTKX
01-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Use butane.

n2ize
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Yeah, and he is the type who would simply ignore the dialog box.

AE1PT
01-29-2013, 07:44 PM

They have gotten more innovative about disguising the install. It's more or less buried in other text, smallish print, and enabled by default.

It has been bundled for a long time. I would routinely uncheck the box on update--they even caught me when it was moved as I did not see it in the usual place and looking very casually does not reveal. Just how they wanted it. Took me a whole two minutes to go to CCleaner and uninstall it and clean its dregs out of the registry.

KJ3N
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah, and he is the type who would simply ignore the dialog box.

Then that makes him another whinny bitch.

KG4CGC
01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Then that makes him another whinny bitch.

Or, a dill hole chili dog.

n2ize
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
There are times when I wish computers would disappear off the face of the earth.

KJ3N
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM
There are times when I wish computers would disappear off the face of the earth.

Not me. I'd like to get rid of the morans who try to use them. There's nothing wrong with computers. Most problems with computers can be attributed to PEBKAC.

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyborad
And
Chair

n2ize
01-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Not me. I'd like to get rid of the morans who try to use them. There's nothing wrong with computers. Most problems with computers can be attributed to PEBKAC.

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyborad
And
Chair

The problem is that computers became a consumer item. In the old days most computer users were academmic researchers, i.e.mathematicians, scientists, etc. Most of them had to become very familiar with the systems they were using and, other than learning, there was no made easy approach. fast forward to today when every Joe and his sons has a computer, they know nothing about them and they just mouse clock buttons and boxes without paying any attention and then scratch their heads when it doesn't work.

KJ3N
01-31-2013, 05:38 PM
The problem is that computers became a consumer item. In the old days most computer users were academmic researchers, i.e.mathematicians, scientists, etc. Most of them had to become very familiar with the systems they were using and, other than learning, there was no made easy approach. fast forward to today when every Joe and his sons has a computer, they know nothing about them and they just mouse clock buttons and boxes without paying any attention and then scratch their heads when it doesn't work.

You essentially admit the problem is the users, but you still want to get rid of the computers? That makes no sense, John. :nuts:

Again, there's nothing wrong with computers. The users are seriously FUBAR.

NM5TF
01-31-2013, 05:39 PM

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyborad
And
Chair

stealing this.....but will give attributes to you....tnx!!!

de "dish boy the gun freak"

n2ize
01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
You essentially admit the problem is the users, but you still want to get rid of the computers? That makes no sense, John. :nuts:

First and foremost. Don't take what I said too seriously. You are analyzing way too deep. Yes, generally it is the non-technical user that is the problem but, its often more complex an issue than simply users being stupid. Many are not stupid but they are "all thumbs" when it comes to using computers. being non-technical and thrust in control of a technical device many find it confusing, daunting, or lack the confidence to simply try and learn how to do things on their own. By profession I am not an IT person(yet often my skills do overlap into that field and I have worked in IT) yet the result however is the same in that I end up getting bombarded with questions and/or troubleshooting requests and it gets frustrating to the point where I sometimes wish it would all just vanish... for a while at least.

Actually I don't mind being asked sensible questions. I understand that sometimes it is not easy for non-tech people to figure things out. Sort of llike me trying to learn a foreign language... Hah. What really gets to me are the ridiculous questions I get from some. Like when a user asks me why he cannot reach some obscure website in some remote region of the Caucasus's and then expects me to provide an answer as if I control the entire Internet. Then when i explain that there is no way in hell I could know why some damned server 5000 miles away in some God forsaken place engulfed in constant civil war is down and the user will start giving me possible reasons... i.e. "maybe its a virus", "maybe the CIA/NSA is blocking the site", "maybe they are using some strange encryption", "maybe the military is hacking my computer"....etc...

I remember one person suggesting that I never visit a .mil site because they are off limits to the public and if I do the Army will immediately put a tracer on my computer. yeah...sure...thats why the army encourages the public to visit their site which they also use for recruiting.

Again, there's nothing wrong with computers. The users are seriously FUBAR.

I know. But sometimes when i am frustrated I wish it would all go away.

kb2vxa
01-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Make the virus go away
Get it off my computer
Make it work the way it used to
And make the virus, make it go away

I used to know a General Class ham who couldn't find his way around the inside of a boat anchor with a schematic. To make matters worse was his computer abuse, he broke every security rule in the book and invented some new ones, just to make life interesting he never ran a virus scan until it was too late. By that time the accumulated resident evil had disabled the antivirus software and the computer was on its last legs. He bought computer after computer and ruined them all, he gave the crippled ones to his son thinking he would use them for parts. Sonny no stupee, he formatted the drive, installed an OS and had a "new" computer every time. Each being better than the last he sold the previous one using the best himself.

Never go to a .mil or .gov website, they put spyware on your computer that uploads all your files to them and tracks your every move. I guess the FCC knows everything about me by now and my participation in Island affairs, oh no, I'm boned.

KJ3N
01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
stealing this.....but will give attributes to you....tnx!!!

Several years ago when I worked in a corporate Hell Desk, I started putting that into the trouble ticket system as the final resolution. It took about 3 months before someone bothered to ask me about it.

You should have seen the look on the Hell Desk manager's face when I explained what it meant. :rofl:

n2ize
02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Make the virus go away
Get it off my computer
Make it work the way it used to
And make the virus, make it go away

I used to know a General Class ham who couldn't find his way around the inside of a boat anchor with a schematic.

I'll bet there are a lot more like that around these days. I've come across hams who cannot read a tube schematic. I remember one who was confused as to what was a certain component shown on a schematic. I had to explain to him it was a schematic symbol of a tetrode.

kb2vxa
02-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Then he asked you what is a tetrode and you answered teh toad in a bottle. HUH? (;->)