PDA

View Full Version : Mother Board Battery

KG4CGC
01-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Will a weak MB battery cause the mouse, keyboard and clock to lock down and stop?

N2CHX
01-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Will a weak MB battery cause the mouse, keyboard and clock to lock down and stop?

I've never seen or heard of that happening, but I suppose it's possible. Your mouse and kb, are they PS/2 or USB? Whenever I've seen PS/2 mouse and kbd port failures, it's always been a failure of something on the MB and replacement is necessary.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a CR2032? Try replacing it and see what happens.

KG4CGC
01-26-2013, 10:35 AM
I've never seen or heard of that happening, but I suppose it's possible. Your mouse and kb, are they PS/2 or USB? Whenever I've seen PS/2 mouse and kbd port failures, it's always been a failure of something on the MB and replacement is necessary.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a CR2032? Try replacing it and see what happens.

Trying to avoid a total reformat but if I do I have a 500 gig HD standing by. USB m/kb.
This is the only symptom I can describe. It just stops. Picture stays where it is, Ctrl/Alt/Delete does nothing. Cursor stays put. Clock at bottom right stops.

N2CHX
01-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Trying to avoid a total reformat but if I do I have a 500 gig HD standing by. USB m/kb.
This is the only symptom I can describe. It just stops. Picture stays where it is, Ctrl/Alt/Delete does nothing. Cursor stays put. Clock at bottom right stops.

Sounds like RAM. Pull and reseat your RAM chips. You're talking about during POST, right?

If you're talking about when you're actually logged into Windows, I'm guessing your CPU fan took a dump.

KG4CGC
01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I did notice that the CPU fan is not speeding up and slowing down but I have also been considering replacing the RAM because a certain action in photoshop is acting like there is a slight loss in ram. When I pull a corner to make the work area bigger, the picture enlarged in real time. Now it doesn't do it until I release the button.

N2CHX
01-26-2013, 10:55 AM
I did notice that the CPU fan is not speeding up and slowing down but I have also been considering replacing the RAM because a certain action in photoshop is acting like there is a slight loss in ram. When I pull a corner to make the work area bigger, the picture enlarged in real time. Now it doesn't do it until I release the button.

Power the machine down, give the inside a good blowout/vac (use electrostatic precautions of course), check to see if the CPU fan (and other fans) is actually moving air, reseat the RAM and cards. Also, some of the weirdness could be from changes to your BIOS due to a low battery, if your battery is low.

KG4CGC
01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Power the machine down, give the inside a good blowout/vac (use electrostatic precautions of course), check to see if the CPU fan (and other fans) is actually moving air, reseat the RAM and cards. Also, some of the weirdness could be from changes to your BIOS due to a low battery, if your battery is low.

Yeah. I just regooped the CPU heat sink thermal grease a month ago and while I had it down I blew out all the dust. Guess I'll go through it again. Test the battery. Replace it anyway. That's a cheap way to eliminate that variable.

NQ6U
01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not saying it's aliens but...it's a computer virus brought to earth by that comet.

KG4CGC
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm not saying it's aliens but...it's a computer virus brought to earth by that comet.

Well, for the record, if it's a HD issue, I've had this one running almost 24/7 for over 5 years.

HUGH
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Clock problems are one sympton of a tired battery.

KJ3N
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm not saying it's aliens but....

http://www.bluetonemedia.com/images/bluetone2012/blog/aliens-guy.JPG

.... it's aliens.

N2CHX
01-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Hahahahaha!

NQ6U
01-26-2013, 04:02 PM
I just bought ten CR2032 lithium button batteries via Amazon for $5.76 with free shipping.

NY3V
01-27-2013, 08:23 AM
I just bought ten CR2032 lithium button batteries via Amazon for $5.76 with free shipping.

It takes that many to power your mobile linnier?

WØTKX
01-27-2013, 09:14 AM
No, he gets a charge out of eating them.

NQ6U
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
It takes that many to power your mobile linnier?

Yeah. Now I can tell my good buddies that I gots me a ten-pill linyer.

Actually, there are a number of different items that use the 2032 batteries around the house including both computers and I got tired of paying $4 apiece for them locally.

AE1PT
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Actually, there are a number of different items that use the 2032 batteries around the house including both computers and I got tired of paying $4 apiece for them locally.

Amen to that. I have light meters, cameras, and ham gear that uses these things. Time to check out fleabay, as the best deal so far for me has been a 4 pack at WallyWorld for $6.