PDA

View Full Version : Out of memory errors..

W4GPL
01-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Hey gang..

Just a FYI -- we're getting a lot of out of memory errors.. I'm still trying to track down why MySQL is running itself into the ground all this sudden, but I've yet to find the culprit. This is causing the site to crash now and again.. I'll keep you updated as I have more information.

I've tuned back some of the MySQL memory usage.. hopefully that will solve the problem for now.

X-Rated
01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I was hoping to hear you are out of memory errors.

NQ6U
01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I have out of memory errors quite frequently. And I ain't talkin' about my computer.

W4GPL
01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Emily R: Hello, thank you for contacting SoftLayer. How can I help you today?
Jeff Iddings: I'm interested in upgrading my server's RAM, but upgrade site won't let me do so.. can my server not handle anymore RAM?
Emily R: One moment while I look into this please.
Emily R: We can do this manually
Emily R: How much do you want in total?
Jeff Iddings: Another 2GB - but can you do any better on the price?
Emily R: I'm checking on this now
Emily R: Checking on the RAM pricing
Emily R: The next step up is 8GB (you have 4GB and it can't take 6GB)
Emily R: So you'd need to add 4GB additional RAM.
Jeff Iddings: Ugh.
Emily R: I can give it to you for $40. The list price is $60.
Emily R: monthly...
Jeff Iddings: No way.
Jeff Iddings: I can get a whole new server elsewhere for less than I'm paying now with that much RAM.
Jeff Iddings: as I can't step up to 6GB (as the portal says I can), I'll do 4GB for $20/mo, no more.
Jeff Iddings: Or else I'm going shopping.
Emily R: I will evaluate the whole server pricing because I can't do $20 on the RAM but let me see if I can reduce something else that you already have
Emily R: Right now you're getting $20 off the server and 4IPs for free, which are $4. If you were to order the server today, the cheapest we could offer it would actually be higher than what you are paying now.
Emily R: But, I can do the 4GB RAM at $32/month additional and that's the absolute rock bottom lowest
Jeff Iddings: If you charge me $32 a month for the RAM I really do need, I assure you that will push me into shopping for a new server this month -- maybe it won't be with Softlayer. Is $12 worth losing a long time customer over?
Jeff Iddings: It's a commodity, of course you can offer it at any price you all choose.
Emily R: I don't think it is worth losing you as a customer, no
Emily R: I can't offer it at any price I choose, my job would be at risk
Jeff Iddings: I'm speaking the collective 'you' -- not you.
Jeff Iddings: Softlayer, I mean.
Emily R: But, I can tell my boss you are planning to leave us because of $12
Jeff Iddings: Well it's not because of $12, it's because of the total..
Jeff Iddings: Yeah, if you want to escalate it to someone..
Emily R: I'll do that for sure. I'm going to open a ticket regarding this and will update you within the ticket as soon as I have an update.
Jeff Iddings: I can hardly afford what I have now. I'm sorry for giving you a hard time about it.
Jeff Iddings: Thank you.
Emily R: No worries, I understand.
Emily R: You're welcome!
Jeff Iddings: Alright, I'll keep an eye on that.
Jeff Iddings: Need anything else from me?
Emily R: Not at the moment, just keep an eye out for the ticket updates
Jeff Iddings: thanks again

:lol:

Guess who is paying $20 a month? :-D

NQ6U
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Nice work!

W4GPL
01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Score one for being a colossal pain in the ass!

kf0rt
01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Renting RAM? Whoda thunk it?

NA4BH
01-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Nice !!!!

Is that a Speedo on the penguins face?

ad4mg
01-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Having spoken with Jeff by phone a number of times, I could hear him reciting that word for word in my head as I read it. The poor woman never had a chance! :lol:

KG4CGC
01-24-2013, 05:13 PM
See. Being an ass on the phone isn't the default but for some reason, and I hear this all the time from friends who have worked in customer service, too many people think they are supposed to yell and be abusive to the customer service rep on the phone when they call.

kf0rt
01-24-2013, 07:04 PM
See. Being an ass on the phone isn't the default but for some reason, and I hear this all the time from friends who have worked in customer service, too many people think they are supposed to yell and be abusive to the customer service rep on the phone when they call.

I'm real nice and easy when I have to call someplace. Put me on hold, no prob. Almost always get what I want (but not one bit more).

Always kinda thought there'd be a good business in handling this from the consumer side. assholebyproxy.com or something (but think there are too many assholes already - bad for society). Some of the "assholes" I know are real kittens when you get to know them, but they sure know how to wing the deals, right down to buying cars and such. Save me a grand? How about we split it?

And no, I don't think Jeff's an asshole. Though he may play one on TV.

N2CHX
01-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Well played.

NQ6U
01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Hey, Jeff, since the upgrade, I keep getting dumped back to the log-in screen every third or fourth time I hit the "New Posts" menu item. In fact, I had to log in again before I could post this message, even.

WØTKX
01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Having spoken with Jeff by phone a number of times, I could hear him reciting that word for word in my head as I read it. The poor woman never had a chance! :lol:

He's the same way when texting... ;)

N2CHX
01-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Hey, Jeff, since the upgrade, I keep getting dumped back to the log-in screen every third or fourth time I hit the "New Posts" menu item. In fact, I had to log in again before I could post this message, even.

That's because the hosting company discovered that you are the bug and they're trying to get rid of you.

W4GPL
01-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Hey, Jeff, since the upgrade, I keep getting dumped back to the log-in screen every third or fourth time I hit the "New Posts" menu item. In fact, I had to log in again before I could post this message, even.Yeah, that's me. I keep restarting MySQL -- sorry... should be more stable as of now. I'm done for the night unless it's really fsck'd.

NQ6U
01-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah, that's me. I keep restarting MySQL -- sorry... should be more stable as of now. I'm done for the night unless it's really fsck'd.

Okay, no big deal. I just thought it was something you ought to know about.

W4GPL
01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Okay, no big deal. I just thought it was something you ought to know about.Does it seem OK now?

NQ6U
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Does it seem OK now?

Yep, working just fine. In fact, I never had another problem after I made that post. Figures, don't it?

KJ3N
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Whinny Bitch.

NQ6U
01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Whinny Bitch.

Don't call me bitch. You whore.

KJ3N
01-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Don't call me bitch. You whore.

Damned proud of it, too. ;)

N1LAF