PDA

View Full Version : The Browser Thread

W4GPL
01-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Thread for all things browsers. This won't be strictly enforced like the gun thread... but we've had a lot of browser threads over the years..

Opera Drops Presto In Favor Of WebKit, Meet Their Latest Web Browser: Ice
http://www.favbrowser.com/opera-drops-presto-in-favor-of-webkit-meet-their-latest-web-browser-ice/

Interesting -- they're finally dropping their [arguably inferior] rendering engine in favor of WebKit. This will make some of the quirky issues with developing around Opera easier.. not that there's many people using Opera.

NQ6U
01-22-2013, 10:20 AM
So now Safari, Chrome and Opera are all based on WebKit, which is an Open Source project maintained largely by Apple.

W4GPL
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
You should look at the commit log for WebKit, it's 90% @google.com and @chromium.org. :P

N2CHX
01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Hmmm... Opera may become a browser that actually works again. How nice.

n2ize
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
I use Opera all the time. Been using it for years and for me it works great. Hopefully it will get even better. Maybe it will lead to a browser that I am 100% satisfied with.

My current preference for browsers is

1) Opera
2) Chrome
3) Firefox

All in all I have yet to find a browser that I am 100% satified with. Every one is a bit quirky when it comes to one thing or another. Most of the time I use Opera and it handles everything perfectly but sometimes I will be running both Opera and Chrome.

KC2UGV
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Thread for all things browsers. This won't be strictly enforced like the gun thread...

Ah, come on!!! Why not?!?!?!

j/k

I'm so happy most browsers are starting to use the webkit engine. If only IE would switch...

W4GPL
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
If only IE would switch...:lol: ... riiiiiight.

N2CHX
01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
I use Opera all the time. Been using it for years and for me it works great. Hopefully it will get even better. Maybe it will lead to a browser that I am 100% satisfied with.

My current preference for browsers is

1) Opera
2) Chrome
3) Firefox

All in all I have yet to find a browser that I am 100% satified with. Every one is a bit quirky when it comes to one thing or another. Most of the time I use Opera and it handles everything perfectly but sometimes I will be running both Opera and Chrome.

Last time I tried to use Opera, which was a couple of months ago, it was useless to me because when trying to log in to a site using SSL and failing every time, I came to figure out that it was passing the login information via POST twice, like this: usernameusername passwordpassword.

Totally screwed up. In its defense, I was trying to use it because Firefox was pooched in some way as well, but I got Firefox's issue figured out. Opera just refused to work. Period. It has also always had its own rendering quirks, like IE's only different. The only advantage Opera has ever had is that it's lightweight and fast.

W4GPL
01-22-2013, 11:19 AM
HamIsland Browser Stats For Dec 1 2012 through Jan 22 2013:

Firefox - 46.4%
Chrome - 23.6%
Internet Explorer - 17.2%
Opera - 5.9%
Safari - 4.8%
Other - 2.1%

KC2UGV
01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
HamIsland Browser Stats For Dec 1 2012 through Jan 22 2013:

Firefox - 46.4%
Chrome - 23.6%
Internet Explorer - 17.2%
Opera - 5.9%
Safari - 4.8%
Other - 2.1%

Part of that 2.1% is probably Links2 :rofl:

W4GPL
01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Nah.. Android/Embedded device browsers.. etc.

KC2UGV
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Nah.. Android/Embedded device browsers.. etc.

Oh, I guarantee part of it is Links2. I've used links2 to hit this site about 5 times over the past month lol

KJ3N
01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm so happy most browsers are starting to use the webkit engine. If only IE would switch...

"My dear guests! I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome... to Fantasy Island!"

http://www.latina.com/files/0114ricardo_article.JPG

X-Rated
01-22-2013, 12:33 PM
When browsers are outlawed, only IE will be legal.

Browsers don't kill Mario, Bowsers do.

n2ize
01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Last time I tried to use Opera, which was a couple of months ago, it was useless to me because when trying to log in to a site using SSL and failing every time, I came to figure out that it was passing the login information via POST twice, like this: usernameusername passwordpassword.

Totally screwed up. In its defense, I was trying to use it because Firefox was pooched in some way as well, but I got Firefox's issue figured out. Opera just refused to work. Period. It has also always had its own rendering quirks, like IE's only different. The only advantage Opera has ever had is that it's lightweight and fast.

Hmmm... strange. never ran into that problem with it here. In it's early days it was very problematic. But works great for me these days.

KG4CGC
01-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Been using Chrome for a couple of weeks and it's going to crap. It's slowing down a bit and the spellcheck has stopped working. Went into settings and I can't find the changes needed to fix it.

n2ize
01-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Actually I have never found a browser that I am 100% satisfied with 100% of the time. Even Opera, although I rank it as excellent does occasionally balk and exhibit some quirks. When that happens I will usually fire up Chrome (my second favorite choice) buut Chrome has it's quirks too. Ditto for Firefaux.

Also, be careful with add-on's, such as browser extensions and add-on widgets. Sometimes they can lead to browser instability.

KG4CGC
01-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Chrome is crashing the machine now on a regular basis. Went back to using FF and it's running like a dream.
WTF is going on?

kb2vxa
01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't know what's up with you guys, I've been using Farting Fox for years and never any sort of problem. Well maybe one, sometimes I have to open a window.

KG4CGC
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't know what's up with you guys, I've been using Farting Fox for years and never any sort of problem. Well maybe one, sometimes I have to open a window.

Neither did I and I too have used it for years. In the last month though, I went from praising FF to cursing it. Praising Chrome then cursing it. Back to FF, which just did another update after their update earlier in the month.

N2CHX
01-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Yep, FF on Linux Mint just did another update and ever since, it's been running slow again.

W4GPL
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
I've been using Chrome for quite some time (beta channel, admittedly..) And the last few updates have been nothing but problems for me. Specifically taking up all my spare memory and then some. I was swapping every time I started Chrome. :-|

Wiped out my very old Firefox profile and started over with Firefox.. with the exception of importing my bookmarks from Chrome. It's noticeably faster than it had been, perhaps there was something in my profile settings that was putting a wrench in the works? :dunno: YMMV.