PDA

View Full Version : Giant RC airplanes.

N7YA
01-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Ever since i was a kid, i dreamed about making the biggest, most realistic and accurate RC planes i could. Fortunately, these guys put out that fire for me...and after watching vids of a few of these giants crashing, and about $30,000 going up in a spectacular fireball, i am now content to watch others do it. Curiosity satisfied. But the fascination will always be there. Heres a vid i found of one of the coolest RC planes...multiple onboard cameras, paratroopers (even though 2 of them appears to have fallen to their death), retractable gear and flaps, etc...enjoy.

Oh, and i found a few pics of some even bigger planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqD3WQo8cw

n2ize
01-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Usually planes of that size and expense have several owners, it's usually a club venture where everyone has an investment in the aircraft.

If you find RC interesting focus on small and inexpensive planes to work your skills up to speed.

N7YA
01-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Im not doing it, i just like watching these guys do it. I actually have a small twin engine plane, but its built to crash so a noob like me wont jump off a building if it does. :lol:

Almost all of these big birds have two pilots and a crew. Took years and tons of money to build and are a major labour of love. I havent even started posting the RC ships i found!

KC2UGV
01-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Usually planes of that size and expense have several owners, it's usually a club venture where everyone has an investment in the aircraft.

If you find RC interesting focus on small and inexpensive planes to work your skills up to speed.

Or, like in Ham Radio, hunt down a local club :)

n2ize
01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Im not doing it, i just like watching these guys do it. I actually have a small twin engine plane, but its built to crash so a noob like me wont jump off a building if it does. :lol:

Almost all of these big birds have two pilots and a crew. Took years and tons of money to build and are a major labour of love. I havent even started posting the RC ships i found!
Even if I could afford such a thing I couldn't fly them around here. I'd have to drive quite far to find a suitable place. for anything even half that size. Too much population. Matter of fact a few years ago I switched to helicopters because they're more practical in or near crowded suburban areas like mine. They require far less space for operation

X-Rated
01-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Even if I could afford such a thing I couldn't fly them around here. I'd have to drive quite far to find a suitable place. for anything even half that size. Too much population. Matter of fact a few years ago I switched to helicopters because they're more practical in or near crowded suburban areas like mine. They require far less space for operation

Me too. I have a local airport that I live in a glide slope for and I live under the glide slope of O'hare which is a bit higher than the glide slope for the local airport at my house.

n2ize
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Me too. I have a local airport that I live in a glide slope for and I live under the glide slope of O'hare which is a bit higher than the glide slope for the local airport at my house.

I believe the FAA has an established altitude limit for all RC aircraft large & small and of all types, planes, helicopters, balloons, etc. But if you are near an airport it would be wise to keep RC ops relatively low, or fly in an area well beyond the airport. RC aircraft (of all sizes and types) are also required to follow flight restrictions. So say an area is under a temporary "no fly restriction". In such cases RC aircraft in the restricted zone must remain grounded until the restriction is lifted. I believe the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) was challenging those restrictions soon after they were enacted so it may no longer hold. Not sure what the latest regs. are.

n2ize
01-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Incidentally, in those giant scale aircraft pictures above I particularly like the scale propliners, and in particular the Lockheed Constellation. I am a big fan of old propliners.

BTW if I ever built one to look that good I'd be scared to fly it. I'd be too scared of it ending up cracked up on the outskirts of the field.

KC2UGV
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
I believe the FAA has an established altitude limit for all RC aircraft large & small and of all types, planes, helicopters, balloons, etc. But if you are near an airport it would be wise to keep RC ops relatively low, or fly in an area well beyond the airport. RC aircraft (of all sizes and types) are also required to follow flight restrictions. So say an area is under a temporary "no fly restriction". In such cases RC aircraft in the restricted zone must remain grounded until the restriction is lifted. I believe the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) was challenging those restrictions soon after they were enacted so it may no longer hold. Not sure what the latest regs. are.

I think you might be correct (That the AMA was challenging it), because I recall something along the same lines in regards to small-scale rocketry.

N7YA
01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Incidentally, in those giant scale aircraft pictures above I particularly like the scale propliners, and in particular the Lockheed Constellation. I am a big fan of old propliners.

BTW if I ever built one to look that good I'd be scared to fly it. I'd be too scared of it ending up cracked up on the outskirts of the field.

For sure! They are my favorite in the RC world and in real life. Nothing like the sound of old radial engines firing up...and especially when they are high above, slowly creeping across the sky. Love it!

KG4CGC
01-21-2013, 05:27 PM
I was into RC cars for a bit. Built them, worked out the bugs and then that was that. You need a good racing platform or dirt track or a wide expanse of concrete. It kind of bored the shiatsu mushroom out of me.

N7YA
01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
I never got into RC cars. However, RC ships (really big ones) are quite cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa9kaD1k0ls