PDA

View Full Version : Any Single Lever paddle users out there?

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Just curious because I was checking out morsex and have noticed that in general many of the key companies have died off not only over the years but over the last few. Also, those that are standing have less models than they once did. Some by a significant number. Next, I have seen very few single lever paddles.

Now, as to why I am curious: Before leaving the states I had grown an interest in CW and was practicing on my osci (straight key) but when I was younger my grandfather had a setup with a double lever key. I have never used a paddle or a bug only a straight key. However, the concept of Iambic frightens me. (I think I have had this conversation here before.)

Anyway, any single lever paddle users/admirers out there? If so, what models do you like. I enjoy researching but this subject has turned up little information. It does not help that even when I set google up for an English search after one link it converts back to Spanish which drives me nuts with technical subjects. My Spanish is simply not up to par to read tech info, lol. New, old, used, etc. Just curious to see what is out there.

X-Rated
01-20-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't know why you couldn't use an iambic like a single lever. Just don't press on the two paddles at the same time as you could not on a single lever.

Also, what ham privileges do you have? I thought that Europe only allowed Advanced and Extra class US hams to operate through CEPT.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't know why you couldn't use an iambic like a single lever. Just don't press on the two paddles at the same time as you could not on a single lever.

Also, what ham privileges do you have? I thought that Europe only allowed Advanced and Extra class US hams to operate through CEPT.

I dont plan on using radio in the EU. I will be back in the states by summers end.

That aside: Yes, I am sure one could use an iambic like a single lever but that does not satisfy my curiosity, lol.

Edit: Also, I am pretty sure that one has a time limit for CEPT privileges which I would assume has passed in nearly a year of being here.

VE3FMC
01-20-2013, 09:45 AM
I do not do CW anymore and if I do I use a keyboard.

However when I learned CW I used a Bencher. Then I tried a friends single lever paddle and wow I was hooked.
For some time I used an old homemade single lever paddle. Then I bought a commercial model.

I preferred the single lever, not sure why but I just liked it better.

Look at the Kent models, the last one I owned was made by Bushwhacker.

X-Rated
01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
I made a key from a saw blade between two brackets with a pair of screws for contacts. Then with the contact to the left or to the right could be dots or dashes as with a regular straight key. But it was a lot faster than a straight key. You also have to learn to send that way. Each dot and dash alternated so that the movement was always towards a key contact. Worked nicely. That was 30 years ago. I just control by computer now.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
I do not do CW anymore and if I do I use a keyboard.

However when I learned CW I used a Bencher. Then I tried a friends single lever paddle and wow I was hooked.
For some time I used an old homemade single lever paddle. Then I bought a commercial model.

I preferred the single lever, not sure why but I just liked it better.

Look at the Kent models, the last one I owned was made by Bushwhacker.

Yeah, so far I have found Kent and K8RA which each have a single model. It seems Scheunemann has one model as well. So far it would seem there are not a lot of options.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I made a key from a saw blade between two brackets with a pair of screws for contacts. Then with the contact to the left or to the right could be dots or dashes as with a regular straight key. But it was a lot faster than a straight key. You also have to learn to send that way. Each dot and dash alternated so that the movement was always towards a key contact. Worked nicely. That was 30 years ago. I just control by computer now.

Speaking of controlling by PC, I avoid such things with AR. Possibly because most aspects of my life have PC involvement. More so because I have grown up with PC's and PC controlled devices. I guess it is nice to disconnect (in a way) from time to time. No PC control software for AR, PC logging, etc. :D

VE3FMC
01-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah, so far I have found Kent and K8RA which each have a single model. It seems Scheunemann has one model as well. So far it would seem there are not a lot of options.

Well you can't go to wrong with a Kent, those things are as smooth as a baby's bum. :)

Here is the Bushwhacker website http://www.americanmorse.com/

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Well you can't go to wrong with a Kent, those things are as smooth as a baby's bum. :)

Here is the Bushwhacker website http://www.americanmorse.com/

Thank you for the link. Those are interesting. Kind of like modern art.

X-Rated
01-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Speaking of controlling by PC, I avoid such things with AR. Possibly because most aspects of my life have PC involvement. More so because I have grown up with PC's and PC controlled devices. I guess it is nice to disconnect (in a way) from time to time. No PC control software for AR, PC logging, etc. :D

Yeah. You don't have to read the part about the single lever key since I referred to a "PC" in my post.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Yeah. You don't have to read the part about the single lever key since I referred to a "PC" in my post.

I read it. Homebrew with a saw blade.

VE3FMC
01-20-2013, 10:39 AM

I admit I have both of my HF rigs connected to PC's. But I really do not do a lot of rig control via the PC's. I use them for logging and digital modes.

The Bushwhacker is a nice paddle. But not as nice at the Kent. As I said I have used both and the Kent was so much nicer. I think you would enjoy it.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 10:51 AM
I admit I have both of my HF rigs connected to PC's. But I really do not do a lot of rig control via the PC's. I use them for logging and digital modes.

The Bushwhacker is a nice paddle. But not as nice at the Kent. As I said I have used both and the Kent was so much nicer. I think you would enjoy it.

TBH, I think at first I will piddle around with a straight key. I already have a few. Also, it is what I was learning with before. Though, from what I understand many people venture to paddles eventually so I have been doing my research. Not the first time either. I am a very indecisive person and do loads of research before I make up my mind. I will probably end up with an iambic and a single lever. Can always pass on the one I dont like or keep them both for mood swings or what have you.

However, as I said it seems there is limited information and or chat about single levers. A google search gave me a few qrz and eham topics most of which were short and went unanswered. Besides, I like seeing what other people like and use. :)

I think that at some point I would like to retro set my shack (once I have a shack again) with a novice set and straight key. I have plans to rebuild the AM position I was starting. And ofc a modern section for both SSB and CW.

Edit: I have heard a lot of good about kent in the past as well.

VE3FMC
01-20-2013, 11:00 AM
If I ever get back into CW there is no way I would opt for a strait key. Just soooooooooo much easier to send with a paddle of some sort.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
If I ever get back into CW there is no way I would opt for a strait key. Just soooooooooo much easier to send with a paddle of some sort.

I hear that a lot but I also hear that to start a straight key helps develop a better fist. As to that being true or not, I have no idea. But my practice set is a straight key and for being a nub I think that is a good idea. Mainly because it should limit my speed. Again, only research but it seems that many new CW ops (vets as well) end up sending much faster than they can copy. I think a straight key should help reduce that for awhile.

Again, this is all research and speculation. Once back in my shack I can start the learning process over and actually get my lazy butt on the air. From there, much like with any other aspect of the hobby, I expect it to evolve.

NQ6U
01-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I started out with a Bencher iambic paddle but found that I rarely used it that way—I really didn't find it advantageous. So, when a fellow Islander put this up for sale:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/P1010357.jpg

I went for it.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Not sure why but that totally slipped my mind. Thank you.

N8YX
01-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I use various styles of paddles, and almost all of them are Vibroplex: Iambic (x2), single-lever (x2) and an Original Bug (circa 1966 manufacture).

Jerry's idea for a homebrew lever is a neat one. If the constructor has access to a resistance welder, a set of silvered contacts could be affixed to the blade and a similar set attached to the stationary portion of the arrangement. Reduces erratic keying. The old Trac paddles tried to get by with regular metal or low-quality silvered contacts and they stunk.

NQ6U
01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Jerry's idea for a homebrew lever is a neat one. If the constructor has access to a resistance welder, a set of silvered contacts could be affixed to the blade [...]

Resistance welding is futile! Sorry, couldn't resist...

You could also silver solder the contacts to the blade. Not as good as resistance welding but more easily done in the home workshop.

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Resistance welding is futile! Sorry, couldn't resist...

You could also silver solder the contacts to the blade. Not as good as resistance welding but more easily done in the home workshop.

Blades and I do not mix well. Even when it comes to the lowly cheese slicer. Ill stick with something less likely to make me accident prone. xD

VE3FMC
01-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I hear that a lot but I also hear that to start a straight key helps develop a better fist. As to that being true or not, I have no idea. But my practice set is a straight key and for being a nub I think that is a good idea. Mainly because it should limit my speed. Again, only research but it seems that many new CW ops (vets as well) end up sending much faster than they can copy. I think a straight key should help reduce that for awhile.

Again, this is all research and speculation. Once back in my shack I can start the learning process over and actually get my lazy butt on the air. From there, much like with any other aspect of the hobby, I expect it to evolve.

I found I sent a hell of a lot better cw with paddles than I did with a strait key. But maybe that was just me. You may be different.

Check this beauty out................http://www.k8ra.com/index_025.htm

KB3LAZ
01-20-2013, 02:25 PM
I found I sent a hell of a lot better cw with paddles than I did with a strait key. But maybe that was just me. You may be different.

Check this beauty out................http://www.k8ra.com/index_025.htm

Yeah, I was looking at that key a bit earlier. Looks nice and gets rather good reviews.

W6VM
01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
BEGALI ALL OTHERS JUST WANT TO BE BAGALI. KEYS...

NQ6U
01-21-2013, 12:04 AM
BEGALI ALL OTHERS JUST WANT TO BE BAGALI. KEYS...

Indeed. Compare and contrast the K8RA key to this:

http://www.i2rtf.com/assets/images/ScMono_1.jpg

(Compare and contrast the cost, too. €450, ouch.)

w2amr
01-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Bencher paddle/MFJ keyer combo. I bought it back in the 80's, Still works FB.

N8YX
01-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Bencher is hard to beat for the money if you like an iambic paddle.

WØTKX
01-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Good directions on how to adjust the Bencher at the Morse Express website.

It's a little fiddly, but you can set it up for light touch iambic user,
or a slap happy non-iambic brute like me. :mrgreen:

KB3LAZ
01-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Indeed. Compare and contrast the K8RA key to this:

http://www.i2rtf.com/assets/images/ScMono_1.jpg

(Compare and contrast the cost, too. €450, ouch.)

Interesting. Another key that looks more like modern art than a tool. :D I like it. Price is that of a cheap rig though, lol.