PDA

View Full Version : "Revenge Is Mine" says someone banned from here

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
You know, some people will let things drop when they are banned and just let it go. But not all will just let go like that. They will even go so far as to send email to others posting there with links to trojans and viruses. Why do they do that? That is mean and cruel.

Here's the thing. I get this email this morning. Several others are copied on it, but no one I recognize. Looks like a bunch of hams were targeted for some sort of revenge.

I would have never expected this from this gentleman. I had no idea he could do this.

WØTKX
01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Last fall, I got an email from a trusted ham that said "hey" on my Yahoo account. The problem is I followed a link, which went to a site spamming for at home work. Visiting the site tweaked my browser (that I had open) to link me to a faked Yahoo mail server.

Once I did that, my Yahoo password was hacked. And I started sending out spam emails. This was noticed in less than 12 hours, but all saved contacts in that mail account got a spam mail from me. Many (most) of my contacts had AV software going that caught the compromised URL (being based in the states), and sent me a reply. I noticed the outbound traffic from me the next morning when I logged in. Problem was stopped in less than 12 hours. However...

My G-Data software did not catch it. It will now, as I informed them of the compromise. This was a fast moving creature in the wild, and they are based in Germany... so they didn't catch it immediately. Two faked Yahoo servers were shut down by ISP's in Texas and Pennsylvania. These were innocent end users machines that had been compromised to turn them into servers. G-Data and Yahoo now share more information about these things, so G-Data users won't see that delay.

For the first ten minutes or so I thought somebody had done this to me on purpose, but it was not true. Sure, it looked like a group of hams got targeted, because of the long list of "callsign" emails in the CC line. So, when things look suspicious, look deeper. These hams that sent you this may have been compromised, and they are unaware of it.

Investigate further before you blame somebody who it looks like caused it.

For my trouble, Yahoo support sent me a cool email, they needed to work with G-Data more closely like they do with the other AV companies... so these faked and compromised URL's get distributed to end users various AV programs ASAP. Part of the problem was the time difference. The reason I use G-Data is it does NOT use much for system resources. For the FlexRadio PC, you see.

I get next years G-Data subscription for free. They gave me a cooopin!

http://sav-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/11577135.jpg

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I really don't think he was hacked. I think he really did this on purpose.

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 11:40 AM
For the first ten minutes or so I thought somebody had done this to me on purpose, but it was not true. Sure, it looked like a group of hams got targeted, because of the long list of "callsign" emails in the CC line. So, when things look suspicious, look deeper. These hams that sent you this may have been compromised, and they are unaware of it.

Investigate further before you blame somebody who it looks like caused it.

This. I've never quite understood why the first reaction to something like this, is an immediate suspicion of evil and malicious intent. Nine times out of ten, it's not.

I got something similar from one of the QRZ moderators. It was pretty obvious to me that their Yahoo account had been compromised. See here: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?374965-E-Mail-hacked

The gave me a cooopin!

Was it for Tater Salad?

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
This. I've never quite understood why the first reaction to something like this, is an immediate suspicion of evil and malicious intent. Nine times out of ten, it's not.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/Mack4_zps7a01769f.png

You want to rephrase that?

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Will he come back and admit that his account was hacked? No. I doubt it. He did this on purpose. I didn't think he could, but he has.

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/Mack4_zps7a01769f.png

You want to rephrase that?

No. It's a Yahoo account. That's the first flag. Suggest you Google "hacked yahoo accounts".

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Will he come back and admit that his account was hacked? No. I doubt it. He did this on purpose. I didn't think he could, but he has.

Also, it's pretty hard to admit something from beyond the grave. Mack's been dead for some time.

Now, would you like to retract your accusation?

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I sent an email to the others to not open the link, but I will just let it go. I can't stay mad at Dilmus.

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I sent an email to the others to not open the link, but I will just let it go. I can't stay mad at Dilmus.

Hard to stay mad at a corpse.

suddenseer
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Same thing as Dave happened to me. I had my Yahoo hacked once before. I really don't think Mack has time to send you dangerous links considering where he now resides.

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Also, it's pretty hard to admit something from beyond the grave. Mack's been dead for some time.

Now, would you like to retract your accusation?

Sorry Dilmus. I am sorry about the things I said. I am all teary eyed and crying and all right now. I hope all is okay there now and that you are not feeling bad like you were. I retract those things I said.

W4GPL
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Jerry, you're being obtuse. Everyone else in this thread is correct. I often get e-mails from relatives with suspicious content and it's not them. AND further, their account hasn't even been hacked. It's extremely easy, in fact trivial, to spoof someone's e-mail address. You have to look at the headers to really know what's up.. I get if you look at the headers of that e-mail, you'll discover it didn't even come from a Yahoo server.

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Jerry, you're being obtuse. Everyone else in this thread is correct. I often get e-mails from relatives with suspicious content and it's not them. AND further, their account hasn't even been hacked. It's extremely easy, in fact trivial, to spoof someone's e-mail address. You have to look at the headers to really know what's up.. I get if you look at the headers of that e-mail, you'll discover it didn't even come from a Yahoo server.

Must be too early in the morning for this brand of humor. I thought people would find it a bit humorous.

Of course I don't open these links. But this one was one I thought we could appreciate and pass around for a moment. I was surprised to see an email from Dilmus this morning and I thought others would get a kick out of the thought that he could still email out.

Did I think a dead man could email me a virus? Well, you may never know.

n2ize
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM

Mack is dead. Mack has been dead for quite some time. But his ghost could certainly email you a virus.

suddenseer
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Iv'e heard of bacterial infection from the dead, but virii is a new one to moi.

WØTKX
01-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Hmm. Maybe Blistex, AD?

N2NH
01-17-2013, 10:23 PM
...or IS HE?

Interesting, but I've seen TV shows where someone has set up events to happen after they've passed away. It is unlikely, but then again, we're talking about Dilmus here. Is it totally out of the realm of possibility?

Time will tell. He would make a useful tool. Always did. Even now that he's, well no longer here with us.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v13657540yZF4tJGq

N2RJ
01-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Yeah but most spam filters are supposed to filter it out. I didn't think spoofed email was all that common anymore because spam filters catch it. At least mine do.