PDA

View Full Version : Wiping a hard drive

kf0rt
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
So... I've got an Acer Aspire netbook here that I'm getting ready to unload/sell. Want to put it back to "factory" before I do that and I have the factory reinstall disks.

At one point I converted it to dual-boot (Win XP and Ubuntu). Split the 160GB disk into two equal partitions for that. Problem is, when I run the factory restore, it's still observing the partitions, and still boots using the Ubuntu loader (Grub, I think?). I want to wipe it clean and turn it back into an XP-only machine with one partition.

I thought I could use a Ubuntu test-drive disk, but am not seeing a way to access/delete partitions from the GUI and am not Linux proficient enough to attempt it from a command line.

Thoughts?

I'm assuming that if I can delete the partitions, the reinstall will do what I want.

TIA for any advice. :)

KC9SQR
01-15-2013, 07:24 PM
So... I've got an Acer Aspire netbook here that I'm getting ready to unload/sell. Want to put it back to "factory" before I do that and I have the factory reinstall disks.

At one point I converted it to dual-boot (Win XP and Ubuntu). Split the 160GB disk into two equal partitions for that. Problem is, when I run the factory restore, it's still observing the partitions, and still boots using the Ubuntu loader (Grub, I think?). I want to wipe it clean and turn it back into an XP-only machine with one partition.

I thought I could use a Ubuntu test-drive disk, but am not seeing a way to access/delete partitions from the GUI and am not Linux proficient enough to attempt it from a command line.

Thoughts?

I'm assuming that if I can delete the partitions, the reinstall will do what I want.

TIA for any advice. :)

Actually the XP install disk should give you an option to delete/remove partitions and make as single partition for installing XP into without any problems.. I've used it many times in the past...

kf0rt
01-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Good idea, thanks! I'll try booting TinyXP and see if that works.

kf0rt
01-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Peachy. Dunno why I didn't think of that, but it looks like it worked.

Thanks!!

KC9SQR
01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Peachy. Dunno why I didn't think of that, but it looks like it worked.

Thanks!!

You're more than welcome! :)
Glad to be able to help ya there..

I'd say that sounds like time for a drink....
Bartender???? Please get this man a drink of his choice, and I think I'll have one of the blue ones on the right here...