PDA

View Full Version : Yaesu/Vertex Repair

N2NH
01-15-2013, 06:19 AM
My VX-8 slipped off the belt a few months ago and the dial knob stopped working.

I e-mailed Yaesu/Vertex repair in California regarding the repair and the best way to ship it there. I sent it in expecting a $65 repair bill, but it ended up about half that and they returned it FedEx (beats UPS). I have to say I was pretty impressed. It is working better than when it was new.

Based on this experience, I highly recommend them.

Their Link (http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=ContactUs).

KB3LAZ
01-15-2013, 07:09 AM
My VX-8 slipped off the belt a few months ago and the dial knob stopped working.

I e-mailed Yaesu/Vertex repair in California regarding the repair and the best way to ship it there. I sent it in expecting a $65 repair bill, but it ended up about half that and they returned it FedEx (beats UPS). I have to say I was pretty impressed. It is working better than when it was new.

Glad you had a good experience. How do you like the 8 anyway? I have a 7 back home sitting in the desk. I was gonna upgrade back when I was still in the states but for the price I could not see doing so when the 7 still worked well. Particularly for me. I use an HT exactly six times a year, lol.

N2NH
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Glad you had a good experience. How do you like the 8 anyway? I have a 7 back home sitting in the desk. I was gonna upgrade back when I was still in the states but for the price I could not see doing so when the 7 still worked well. Particularly for me. I use an HT exactly six times a year, lol.

I like the 8 a lot. We (the XYL & I) also have the 6. Both are nice, but the 8 has the Spectrum Analyzer function, which I had on the Alinco I had in the 90s. Came in handy at ending a repeater war when one guy was creating a situation by lowering his center frequency by 10kHz and claiming that the other repeater was emitting a signal that was too wide or too high in freq. After I mentioned that I was watching both machines, that permanently ended about 3 minutes later. I also like the APRS and messaging functions too. Works better than texting and e-mailing. Has better AM BC reception than the 6. Both fall short on HF of course, but if I really wanted to, I could hook up a long wire for that.

N8YX
01-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Had similar experiences with them when a VX-7R stopped working around 9 months after I bought it, and their parts department has been very handy at sourcing a few older items.

KB3LAZ
01-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Had similar experiences with them when a VX-7R stopped working around 9 months after I bought it, and their parts department has been very handy at sourcing a few older items.

Ive never had to deal with them directly. My first VX7 was a dud out of the box. It would flash PLL Unock Error. AES swapped it out and they dealt with that. However, I know my grandpa had to send his 920 in for something while under warranty and he had good luck with Yaesu as well.

n2ize
01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Back in the earlly 90's I had a state of the art Yaesu FT-470. It was a nice radio and some of the functionality was amazing for its time. But it was very problematic. Had to send it to Yaesu twice for repairs and had to fix it myself several times more. Last time it broke down it sat on the shelf for well over a decade unfixed and unused. A year or so ago I bought a Yaesu FT-250R (Monobander). Much better radio. Construction is much more rugged. That's what I like about these new radios. Smaller, more compact, much more rugged and far less problematic than the handhelds of yesteryear. With some exceptions of course.

w2amr
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM

Vertex. I guess this isn't the same company.
http://www.jegs.com/images/mfr/830_mfr.jpg

N2NH
01-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Vertex. I guess this isn't the same company.
http://www.jegs.com/images/mfr/830_mfr.jpg

My first CB rig, a Lafayette HA-111 had a power connection just like the one in the lower left though. The spot function meant it was short lived.

w2amr
01-18-2013, 05:09 AM
My first CB rig, a Lafayette HA-111 had a power connection just like the one in the lower left though. The spot function meant it was short lived.
Huh?

NQ6U
01-18-2013, 10:11 AM

That's not a power connector, it's a magneto.

n2ize
01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
That's not a power connector, it's a magneto.

But does it have a spot function ?7

w2amr
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
But does it have a spot function ?7
Yeah, you put one of the plug wires down your pants, then give it a spin.

N7YA
01-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Huh?

Best answer so far. :lol: