PDA

View Full Version : I hate when that happens!

KA9MOT
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Don't you?

http://youtu.be/rr7bPmGTQUk

KC9SQR
01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
:cool2:
He let the magic blue smoke out!!
lol

X-Rated
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
We don't need to observe no stinkin' polarity.

N2CHX
01-14-2013, 02:05 PM
We used to do that for fun in my old shop. That and see how much voltage DC motors from old VCR's and tape players would take and how fast they would go before they would burn and seize up.

KC9SQR
01-14-2013, 02:25 PM
We used to do that for fun in my old shop. That and see how much voltage DC motors from old VCR's and tape players would take and how fast they would go before they would burn and seize up.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that did that :)

kb2vxa
01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Tossing charged caps is fun too. Here, CATCH!

kf0rt
01-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Used to do that in my HS electronics class. Wonder if they still have those classes in HS. I got 5/17 credits that way (and two more in photography), but my english ain't too good. Them was the days.

KG4CGC
01-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Put that on FB.

W5GA
01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Used to do that in my HS electronics class. Wonder if they still have those classes in HS. I got 5/17 credits that way (and two more in photography), but my english ain't too good. Them was the days.
Used to do that in auto shop, too.

NY3V
01-16-2013, 08:45 AM
He should have used one of those new fangled Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacitors! ;)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_make_a_non-polarized_electrolytic_capacitor

wa6mhz
01-16-2013, 09:19 AM
When I worked at a major LARGE UPS manufacturer, they made these power supplies the size of a refrigerator. A UPS automatically switches the AC lines to battery power during a power failure. These were many many KVA. One time a girl wired one of the caps backwards, one the size of a COKE can. It worked for awhile as the tech tested it, and then it went off. He was severely sprayed with all this Yeechy liquid inside as was the area around the UPS. The smoke and explosion sounded like a grenade going off. The entire plant floor had to be evacuated as the smell was overpowering. Fans had to be set up to blow the fumes out the door. All because an assembly girl wired it backwards. Lucky the guy didn't have to go to the Hospital. His ears sure were ringing!

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
When I worked at a major LARGE UPS manufacturer, they made these power supplies the size of a refrigerator. A UPS automatically switches the AC lines to battery power during a power failure. These were many many KVA. One time a girl wired one of the caps backwards, one the size of a COKE can. It worked for awhile as the tech tested it, and then it went off. He was severely sprayed with all this Yeechy liquid inside as was the area around the UPS. The smoke and explosion sounded like a grenade going off. The entire plant floor had to be evacuated as the smell was overpowering. Fans had to be set up to blow the fumes out the door. All because an assembly girl wired it backwards. Lucky the guy didn't have to go to the Hospital. His ears sure were ringing!

Yeah ya know what? I don't believe it was a "girl". Fuck off with your misogynist bullshit about how women can never do a tech job. Seriously, go crawl back into your shitty, slimy, dirty cave and fuck yourself. For real. Not kidding. You're a douchebag. Fuck you and your fuckwitted faux stories. Fuck you and your view of women as only good as sex toys and worthless for anything else. Seriously.

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you FUCK YOU, you ugly, nasty, fat, totally unfuckable bag of infectious herpes slime.

KA9MOT
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh Jeez..........

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh Jeez..........

Yeah, you best just stay out of this.

KA9MOT
01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah, you best just stay out of this.

Why? I have zero respect for Pat, but you just took a giant shit in the middle of my thread. This was s'posed to be entertaining, and you turned it into an enraged personal attack against Pat and for NO REASON. So what? He said it was a girl. Big deal.

You have some serious issues that I hope you're getting help for.

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Why? I have zero respect for Pat, but you just took a giant shit in the middle of my thread. This was s'posed to be entertaining, and you turned it into a personal attack against Pat and for NO REASON. So what? He said it was a girl. Big deal.

Oh, blow it out your ass, big boy. As if no one EVER "shits" in the middle of anyone else's thread around here :roll: And funny, you always seem to end up in the middle of an argument having to do with this sort of misogynist crap, on a side you really shouldn't be on.

KA9MOT
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Whatever you say Keli........

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Whatever you say Keli........

Wow, you're trainable. Amazing.

wa6mhz
01-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Steve is right. SO WHAT if it was a girl? In those days (1970s), the assembler line was all ladies. No guys were in the line. Sorry, but that was the way it was. And that was true in several plants I worked at. Oh there were Technician girls, but not many. 1 or 2. That may have changed over time, but that was what I saw in the plants I worked at. And I MARRIED one of those assembler "girls".

X-Rated
01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
He should have used one of those new fangled Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capacitors! ;)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_make_a_non-polarized_electrolytic_capacitor

http://www.google.com/patents/US4984134

A service mountable non-polar capacitor assembly is disclosed. The assembly includes a pair of polar tantalum capacitors disposed in axial alignment the anode rods of the capacitors being mechanically and electrically connected as by welding. An insulating sleeve encompasses the body portions of the capacitors leaving projecting portions extending beyond the ends of the sleeve. The void space within the sleeve between the opposed ends of the capacitors may be filled by a polymeric insulating and rigidifying material.
Inventor: Gerald M. Locke
Original Assignee: AVX Corporation
Current U.S. Classification: 361/529; 29/25.03; 361/540
International Classification: H01G 900

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
http://www.google.com/patents/US4984134

Great for things like audio crossovers and such, but still too expensive to use for everything. Maybe hooking it up correctly would be in order lol.

When I was rebuilding a Harris DX-50 solid state transmitter, which literally has dozens of very large electrolytics, I was paranoid about connecting one of them backward, especially when I rebuilt the backplane, because getting to those caps, replacing them with a different type (the original can style was no longer available and so the new ones had to be retrofitted), cleaning years of dust and grime out along the way and then putting it all back together literally took days to accomplish. This is why I always take my time and check my work carefully, usually three times before certifying something as complete.

W3WN
01-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Used to do that in my HS electronics class. Wonder if they still have those classes in HS. I got 5/17 credits that way (and two more in photography), but my english ain't too good. Them was the days.Supposedly true story on those lines...

Back in the 1930's the students who operated the Penn State College (they weren't a University yet) amateur station, W8YA, were not permitted to slouch in their seats when operating. Allegedly, the station director, Gil Crosley (who actually held W8YA as a secondary call, that's another story) had all the operating chairs rigged with a charged capacitor, so that if you sat back too far... ZAP right in the gluteus maximus.

Now... sometime during this period, Penn State hosted the ARRL Atlantic Division convention. A lot of amateurs from around the region came, many with their spouses. Allegedly, during one of the many tours of the station, the EE department, & the related college facilities, the wife of one prominent amateur was bored and getting very tired. So when they got to the shack, and she saw the comfortable operating chairs, without further ado she sat right down, and then leaned back to relax...

The capacitors were permanently removed the next day.

KC2UGV
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Why? I have zero respect for Pat, but you just took a giant shit in the middle of my thread. This was s'posed to be entertaining, and you turned it into an enraged personal attack against Pat and for NO REASON. So what? He said it was a girl. Big deal.

Pat took a shit in your thread with his usual sexist nonsense.

KC2UGV
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM

I used to do that in tech class too :lol:

N8YX
01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Ban capacitors. It's for the children.

X-Rated
01-16-2013, 02:50 PM

You just say that because I work for a leading capacitor company. Harummph. Pffft. and whatever else.

NQ6U
01-16-2013, 03:00 PM

They can have my capacitors when they take them from my burned, dead hands.

KC2UGV
01-16-2013, 03:08 PM

There's already a back-door ban: Unless you buy in mass quantities, they cost more.

X-Rated
01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
There are already laws in place that keep children from applying the square root of negative 1 volts to a capacitor. That would be devastating.

n2ize
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM

Be quiet !! Don;t give New York State any ideas... Otherwise Cuomo might make NYS the first state to ban capacitors.. (or as I prefer to call them "condensers") :snicker:

W3WN
01-17-2013, 01:13 PM
You just say that because I work for a leading capacitor company. Harummph. Pffft. and whatever else.Really?

Can you get us any free samples?

X-Rated
01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Really?

Can you get us any free samples?

I work with crystals in the company. Caps are very cheap though. Many we are selling for under a cent a piece. So maybe. I work for Alpha Victor X-ray.

KG4CGC
01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Next they'll ban aluminum foil, wax paper and cardboard.

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Next they'll ban aluminum foil, wax paper and cardboard.

They'll never ban aluminum foil. Too many conspiracy nutjobs need it for their hats.