PDA

View Full Version : Another 2 meters amp through the door..

VK3ZL
01-14-2013, 12:33 AM
I have just finished my latest 2 meter 1kw EME amplifier..Started it 3 weeks ago and finally tuned it up this morning...Runs 800 watts continuous carrier as long as you want to hold the key down and barely gets warm...It easily tunes up to 1400 watts output with 70 watts of drive...

This is my usual Kiss (keep it simple stupid) building method....Just like old cars you can get under the hood and move around..

Time has come for me to build a 6 and 2 meter amplifier for myself I think...Over the past few years I have had a lot of experience using the Russian Cold War era pulse triodes...I have yet to ever have a failure with these tubes...They are extremely rugged...I have purchased two of the Russian GI-46B triodes for these amplifiers...I haven't used the 46B tubes to date due to the lack of data...However many hams are now using them as replacement tubes in TL922 and other 3-500Z amplifiers with good success...However I am sceptical with their cooling methods. I have a far better cooling method than anything I have seen in the various uTube videos on these conversions..

Anyhow I will start on a 6 meter version in the next week or so..It will be interesting to see the outcome although I am very confident it will make a nice 800 watt output amplifier.. We only have a 400 watt power limit on 6 and 2 meters in VK unless you apply for a high power EME permit which is policed fairly strictly..

Enjoy the couple of pics of the 2 meter amplifier..The paintwork on the front panel is Metallic Blue and looks quite nice..I put in a pic of a GI-46B..They have a beautiful removable cooler...I have used GI-46B coolers in a 2 x GI-7B HF amp I built for myself a few years ago..

Bob..VK3ZL..

NQ6U
01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
I've said "Beautiful work, Bob!" too many times—you're gonna get a big head. So, this time I'm gonna tell you I don't like the blue paint. I mean, I gotta find something to criticize, right? ;)

X-Rated
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
I've said "Beautiful work, Bob!" too many times—you're gonna get a big head. So, this time I'm gonna tell you I don't like the blue paint. I mean, I gotta find something to criticize, right? ;)

Too true. And you should go through and wick down some of the solder in the thru hole connections in case they decide to take one of these babies on a space flight. Wicking down solder will minimize the weight of the device and optimize the success of the mission. :roll:

Truly, this is an excellent job.

VK3ZL
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Ah well....Pic doesn't reflect the real color...The blue paint has a flecked appearance..I think they add powdered mica to the brew...Solder....I can't get my mind around the American pronouncement calling it SODDER...Nah, the extra weight keeps the amp firmly attached to the operating table...Incidently the amplifier weighs 64 pounds. UGH !!!!!

I love doing this work...When I complete the first GI-46B 6 meter amplifier I will put up some more pics and stuff..Meanwhile it's bloody hot here and getting hotter 41C on Thursday....Thinking of those in VK2 with really bad bushfires at present...

Bob..VK3ZL..

KG4CGC
01-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Too true. And you should go through and wick down some of the solder in the thru hole connections in case they decide to take one of these babies on a space flight. Wicking down solder will minimize the weight of the device and optimize the success of the mission. :roll:

Truly, this is an excellent job.
LOL! I was working on an old Yaesu and thought the same thing about the solder. Wondered how much of the total weight was in solder alone. It's good to have solid solder connections. Stuff today is made so miserly that I have in the past had to go through defective joints and totally unsoldered joints to fix something that came off the line that, SOMEHOW, passed QA/QC.

Great job, Bob. Once again, you dress to impress.

mw0uzo
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
looks fantastic :rock:

w2amr
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Amazing.:clap: