PDA

View Full Version : Canon SX260 HD Camera

N1LAF
01-12-2013, 08:22 PM
After much criticism of my Tablet generated pictures, I broke one of my piggy banks and bought a real camera, second one purchased in the past 10 years. I did lots of research - what kind of camera, quality, usage, and I came up with the SX260

Site for camera reviews: http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com

This camera is listed as Best Compact Zoom for 2012.

This camera was given high marks and great reviews.

This product is ranked
1st of 24 in $200 - $300
6th of 90 in 10-12 Megapixels Digital Cameras
1st of 53 in Travel Zoom Digital Cameras
5th of 47 in Canon Digital Cameras
5th of 67 in 11 & 12 MP

Has removable battery, and external charger.

Best Buy has them in the stores for $229, and bundle including extra battery, 8GB Sandisk MicroSD card, and case for $40 more - I bought the bundle. Keep in mind MicroSD memory is expensive at Best buy - I liken it to french fries at the hamburger joints.

The $229 is actually a very low price for this camera.

I will charge the batteries and may have demo pictures by tomorrow.

Anyone else have this camera?

XE1/N5AL
01-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Looks like a good deal on a good camera. The same camera at Best Buy stores down here goes for 6,099 pesos, which is $483 USD. That's more than twice the U.S. price!

N2CHX
01-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Cool. I really liked my Sony until it got crushed between the handlebar and the gas tank on my Ninja. Long story....

Anyway, I bought 8GB micro SD's for $9 each at Best Buy a few weeks ago.

kf0rt
01-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Why would you buy MicroSD for a camera that uses regular SD cards?

The SX260 should work very well for you, Paul. I love Canon's stuff in that range. Great camera from the reviews I've seen, and you even beat Amazon's price. :cool2:

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Now that I assembled the battery and memory into the camera, the memory is a SanDisk Ultra high speed (relative, 30 MB/s) SD memory.

I have been buying PNY Micro SD 32GB memories when on sale for $24 - $29 range, and comes with the SD adapter.

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Why would you buy MicroSD for a camera that uses regular SD cards?

The SX260 should work very well for you, Paul. I love Canon's stuff in that range. Great camera from the reviews I've seen, and you even beat Amazon's price. :cool2:

Quite elementary... My Tablet products take microSD memory, so I can have immediate view on my Tablet. The adapter allows access to my Netbook. The MicroSD is the common denominator of all my products. Makes sense, doesn't it?

N2CHX
01-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Quite elementary... My Tablet products take microSD memory, so I can have immediate view on my Tablet. The adapter allows access to my Netbook. The MicroSD is the common denominator of all my products. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Yup. I've done the same thing. I got the Micro SD's I bought, so my girls can pull them from the little video camera's they got for Christmas and plug them right into their netbooks.

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Picture on one leg of the 270 foot dipole .. it is between the tree and the top of the antenna,

It is over the top of my tallest tree.

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 11:02 AM
80X zoom on insulator...

http://paulfelgate.com/pictures/IMG_0015-800x600_80X.jpg

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 11:09 AM
http://paulfelgate.com/pictures/IMG_0007-800x600.jpg

Here is the feed line going to the center of the antenna

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 11:10 AM
http://paulfelgate.com/pictures/IMG_0006-800x600.jpg

Zoom of feed line interface with dipole

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 11:16 AM
The camera is easy to use, not too small or too big, the battery and memory uses the same access door, battery is easy to remove. Charges in an hour. To look at the pictures on the computer, very easy... connected USB to WinXP3, it recognized the device, I canceled the first dialog, brough up 'My Computer', and double-clicked on the camera. File window opens, then copied to folder on computer. Resolution of pictures is 4000 x 3000 with filesizes of 2 to 4 MB per picture

No LCD/display doors

Looks like it will work as a great all around camera, and the price is a good one, so the price of $229 is a good one for this.

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Lowest price of 32GB MicroSD today on quick search:

Wintec FileMate Mobile Professional 32GB microSDHC Memory Card
Model No.: 3FMUSD32GBC10-R
Class 10 rating (10 MB/sec, for Full HD video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills)
$23.54 (Walmart Online)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wintec-FileMate-Mobile-Professional-32GB-microSDHC-Memory-Card/15747440?findingMethod=rr

Dane Elec 32GB Micro SD Card with SD Adapter
Model#: DA-2IN1-32G-R
$24.10 (Walmart online)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dane-Elec-32GB-Micro-SD-Card-with-SD-Adapter/15657859

NQ6U
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Hey, Paul—you live in a house! All us Island Lib'ruls assumed you were a cave-dweller! ;)

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey, Paul—you live in a house! All us Island Lib'ruls assumed you were a cave-dweller! ;)

HA! :lol:

Did you actually see a picture of a house??

;)

NQ6U
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
HA! :lol:

Did you actually see a picture of a house??

;)

Well, I suppose you could put a brick chimney on a cave but it seems unlikely.

N1LAF
01-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, I suppose you could put a brick chimney on a cave but it seems unlikely.

Have you been to The Shire?

(Hint - your avatar)

NQ6U
01-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Have you been to The Shire?

Good point, but I never pictured you as being hobbit-like.

(Hint - your avatar)

Hah! The file name for that .png is "sauron's_knob", BTW.

kf0rt
01-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Yeah, that makes sense.

Not digging at ya, Paul... For my $$$, I'd go with smaller cards (4-8 GB range) and stick with name-brand memory (Sandisk). Costs just a bit more, but you haven't lived until you've had a cheap card fail when you needed it. The beauty of digital photography is that the "film" is effectively free.

A 12 MP JPG camera like the 260HS will likely average about 3MB per shot. This will give you about 10,000 shots on a 32G card that costs about $30 if you buy the good stuff. Pretty cool, but I think it's risky just from a data reliability perspective. I'm admittedly anal about this, but prefer to "retire" these cards before they spend too many years in the field. Solid state, but flash memory has all of the issues hard drives have (same file management structure, etc.).

I probably take this stuff too seriously, but haven't lost a shot in eons. That way, my lack of photographic talent will live forever! ;)

No matter what, hope you have fun with the new cam. I'm really deep into film stuff these days; scanners instead of cameras and a boatload of family history.

KG4CGC
01-15-2013, 03:25 AM
Yeah, that makes sense.

Not digging at ya, Paul... For my $$$, I'd go with smaller cards (4-8 GB range) and stick with name-brand memory (Sandisk). Costs just a bit more, but you haven't lived until you've had a cheap card fail when you needed it. The beauty of digital photography is that the "film" is effectively free.

A 12 MP JPG camera like the 260HS will likely average about 3MB per shot. This will give you about 10,000 shots on a 32G card that costs about $30 if you buy the good stuff. Pretty cool, but I think it's risky just from a data reliability perspective. I'm admittedly anal about this, but prefer to "retire" these cards before they spend too many years in the field. Solid state, but flash memory has all of the issues hard drives have (same file management structure, etc.).

I probably take this stuff too seriously, but haven't lost a shot in eons. That way, my lack of photographic talent will live forever! ;)

No matter what, hope you have fun with the new cam. I'm really deep into film stuff these days; scanners instead of cameras and a boatload of family history.
Sandisk SD will take a drop into hot cup of coffee. True story.

wa6mhz
01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I have a Canon SX120IS, an earlier version of that camera. It is 10MP and a 10X zoom. The 260 takes it up to 20X optical zoom which is a great improvement. I don't like these Cellphone cameras, so I have a camera case to wear my Canon around with me on my belt 24/7. It is just as easy to whip out the Canon as would be the Cellphone when a Pic opportunity comes up. So when it is time to retire the 120IS, I will get one of the 260s. This Canon also makes a great Camcorder too, though it really goes through batteries and memory. I like how I can use 2 AA cells as those are readily available and plentiful. Rechargable packs need recharging and are bulky to transport with the camera. That would be a deal breaker for me. It looks like U can only use the inboard Lithium Ion. Not sure if that is true, but changeable batteries are a MUST for me, as they seem to run out at the worst times.