PDA

View Full Version : Prepping, or just common sense?

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 10:50 PM
So, I guess I should admit: I'm a prepper. I think.

I figured, the most likely situations to adversely impact me are the following:
* Incoming storm, so bare grocery shelves
* Some problem with the economy, so long dry spells of work
* Wing nutz trying to overthrow the gub-mint, so long spells of no services

So, I store water (10 day supply/person), food (2 months/person), and the rest I just DIY (I am starting to grow food, planning a cistern for rain water, etc etc).

I think I'm a prepper. But, my wife assures me I am not a:

* Hoarder
* Prepper

She says I'm just thinking ahead. Opinions?

NA4BH
01-11-2013, 10:57 PM
I can see sheltering for a storm, but beyond that???

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 11:00 PM
I can see sheltering for a storm, but beyond that???

Honestly, I can see a Tea Gagger group trying to stage a coup in the near future, resulting in hardship for me and mine, maybe economic decline; but beyond a storm or nutjobs trying to "secdee" I think mostly, it's nonsense.

I figure if I can get a 2 month buffer between me and X, I'm good to go. The wife agrees that a 2 month buffer neither qualifies me as prepper or "nutjob". I think I agree :lol:

KJ3N
01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
So, I guess I should admit: I'm a prepper. I think.

I figured, the most likely situations to adversely impact me are the following:
* Incoming storm, so bare grocery shelves
* Some problem with the economy, so long dry spells of work
* Wing nutz trying to overthrow the gub-mint, so long spells of no services

So, I store water (10 day supply/person), food (2 months/person), and the rest I just DIY (I am starting to grow food, planning a cistern for rain water, etc etc).

I think I'm a prepper. But, my wife assures me I am not a:

* Hoarder
* Prepper

She says I'm just thinking ahead. Opinions?

She's being kind. You're a prepper. :neener: ;)

NA4BH
01-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Honestly, I can see a Tea Gagger group trying to stage a coup in the near future, resulting in hardship for me and mine, maybe economic decline; but beyond a storm or nutjobs trying to "secdee" I think mostly, it's nonsense.

I figure if I can get a 2 month buffer between me and X, I'm good to go. The wife agrees that a 2 month buffer neither qualifies me as prepper or "nutjob". I think I agree :lol:

You should take medication to quell your fears. It ain't gonna happen. A tornado is the more likely form of concern. But since you brought the "Tea Gagger" quotient into the picture, please keep your political comments in the Political Forum.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 11:06 PM
She's being kind. You're a prepper. :neener: ;)

It's kinda what I thought :lol:

KJ3N
01-11-2013, 11:07 PM
You should take medication to quell your fears. It ain't gonna happen. A tornado is the more likely form of concern. But since you brought the "Tea Gagger" quotient into the picture, please keep your political comments in the Political Forum.

This.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 11:08 PM

I'm not sure who else wants to have a coup de'tat, if not "Tea Gaggers" who are always calling to "Secdee" :lol:

But, I agree, a tornado is a more likely cause of concern, even in WNY. A few years ago, we had a tornado rip through, and remove a few roofs from some restaurants.

NA4BH
01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure who else wants to have a coup de'tat, if not "Tea Gaggers" who are always calling to "Secdee" :lol:

But, I agree, a tornado is a more likely cause of concern, even in WNY. A few years ago, we had a tornado rip through, and remove a few roofs from some restaurants.

I have a picture of the tornado that ripped through Tuscaloosa AL, that passed by my house about 3 nautical miles away. The pucker factor was high.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I have a picture of the tornado that ripped through Tuscaloosa AL, that passed by my house about 3 nautical miles away. The pucker factor was high.

I bet. 3 miles (nautical or statute) is not that far away...

NA4BH
01-11-2013, 11:18 PM
I bet. 3 miles (nautical or statute) is not that far away...

I almost shit my pants.

NA4BH
01-11-2013, 11:33 PM
But as far as your government being taken over, that ain't gonna happen. There are way too many gun toting "NRAers" out there to let that happen. Curse them now, but thank them should something like that ever take place. I could see a week or two of provisions to carry you through a natural disaster (tornado, blizzard). Maybe have some extra for your neighbors. But I wouldn't sweat the fear. Hell, Bigfoot might spawn the next disaster.

W3WN
01-12-2013, 12:19 AM
You're a... what?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2B2aPRuE1L._SX342_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GdUx0KCvL._AA160_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Pepper-Drink-Distressed-T-Shirt/dp/B009MB6BGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357967938&sr=8-1&keywords=im+a+pepper+t+shirt)

kf0rt
01-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Quit whining, yas pussies!

Holy fuck, it's only life. :lol:

N7YA
01-12-2013, 04:50 AM
I have a pack ready to grab-n-go if needed. It has the basics, and a bunch of small things i know i could use. I lived in the sticks before, a couple of hundred miles from a road or power. Not hard if you know what you need and how to best utilize it. Aside from that, i may never need it at all. Its just good to have something like that. Im certainly not a "400 guns and a nuke bomb shelter in my suburban basement" type of guy...thats just fucking stupid. Light mobility is key.

ki4itv
01-12-2013, 07:45 AM
But as far as your government being taken over, that ain't gonna happen. There are way too many gun toting "NRAers" out there to let that happen. Curse them now, but thank them should something like that ever take place...<snip>
:lol:

To assume that an overthrow of our government, and way of life, would be a recognizable armed conflict that can be repelled with small arms is a very big mistake, besides it being a very misleading symptom of special interest propaganda.
It already has been taken over. So... which unarmed manipulator are you going to shoot first? If guns would actually solve this problem, the shooting should have started already. WTF is the matter with you guys?..chicken?

Goddamn... take those guns off your shirtsleeves and start shooting already. :wtf:

whoopsies...sorry, this looked like the one to rule them all for a minute. My apolizes.

N7YA
01-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Im not chicken!!! I have a HUGE dick!! Im gonna go out and prove my manhood with some kind of brash and not very well thought out, irrational activity in the safety of like minded people, most likely out in the woods behind my house...then probably get hungry half way through, run out of steam, grab some burgers and shout racial spew with a mouth full of beer and saturated fats.

Im a TRUE PATRIOT!

W5GA
01-12-2013, 07:52 AM
You're not a prepper, you're just being smart. We do the same here, as the area I'm in is prone to power outages from wx, travel disruptions from the same etc. I don't even worry about the tornado aspect...if it misses you by a quarter mile, it's just flat missed you, and in that scenario there might be a shingle or two missing from your roof. You stand a far higher chance of getting hit by lightning than by a tornado. That's not to say that the pucker factor doesn't on occasion get fairly high, though. It's why they make storm shelters, I must be a prepper too cuz I've got one. It's used mostly to store shit, with enough room left over for a pair of chairs, a wx radio and a Coleman lamp. I think this year I'll stage a cribbage board down there.

As to the rest...PFFFT! It would take too much effort to get a bunch organized. Herding cats comes to mind.

KB3LAZ
01-12-2013, 08:07 AM
If you run out of food, you always have the neighbors. Soooo...keep lots of BBQ sauce.

ki4itv
01-12-2013, 08:13 AM
If you run out of food, you always have the neighbors. Soooo...keep lots of BBQ sauce.

Oh great!
Now, I'll have to struggle with the thought of "Family Pack" being emblazoned on their clothes.
We'll need lot's of sauce.

KB3LAZ
01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Oh great!
Now, I'll have to struggle with the thought of "Family Pack" being emblazoned on their clothes.
We'll need lot's of sauce.

Just think. Youve got steaks, chops, ribs, etc but you also have salmon, hot dogs, and chocolate doughnuts.

N7YA
01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I was thinking Clif bars, but i guess that would work. :lol:

N8YX
01-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Keep several months supply of canned goods on hand and simply rotate your stock: FIFO. Ditto freeze-dried meals, but you can extend the rotation period out a bit.

A week's worth of fresh water and the necessary purification equipment to make more. Rechargeable batteries for all of your equipment which takes them, and an off-grid source of power to recharge.

Enough ammunition and spare parts for your most commonly used firearms that you can harvest game to feed your family if need be and keep said arms in good working order.

Candles, oil lamps and fuel. A ready way to start fires, along with a ready way to extinguish them.

A decent first-aid kit and a stash of antibacterial wipes, toilet paper. Extras of your prescription medicines along with OTC pain killers, anti-diarrhea and cold medicines. A fifth or so of the highest-proof consumable alcohol you can lay your hands on - think Everclear or similar. A bottle or two of isopropyl alcohol and sterile wipes.

Rope, tape and a couple sharp knives.

Your house should already have most of these things in inventory. If you need to suddenly disappear (as Adam points out) an encrypted USB pen drive containing high-res scans of every important document you have.

Clif bars also work, but have toothbrush and toothpaste on-hand for afterwards.

KK4AMI
01-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Planning for the end of civilization is an enjoyable mental exercise no matter how unlikely the actual event. I look at things like Hurricane Sandy and the earthquake we had down here as more likely scenarios. A tornado in my book is a limited disaster that can be recovered from fast. Guess I would own a tent, generator and porta-potty if my house got knocked down.

My most likely scenario (common among ol' folks) is that inflation runs rampant and I can't afford to grow old. I'm not looking at hitting the road, but being as self sufficient as possible right where I'm at. Well water, generator, 10 day supply of gas, stocked 15 cu ft. freezer and pantry, garden and chicken coop (to be built) and plenty of firewood. I don't consider that prepping as much as practical country living.

One thing I would add to Fred's list is a couple of fishing rods. People living near water have an excellent source of food if you like fish. I'd also add an air rifle. This year we have a herd of squirrels around the house. Even in an urban environment squirrels should be plentiful. Air rifles are quiet and we can all learn to love rodents.

I see you as a "Stocker". Preppers and hoarders build buildings for long term storage of food, buy chem suits and gas masks, modify their vehicles to drive through contamination zones and pre-build underground shelters.

Who ever takes over the Gov would get the bills to, I don't think that'll ever happen. That would be like willingly marrying Octomom

n2ize
01-12-2013, 01:28 PM
My main concern here is hurricanes. So far we got hit with 2 category 1 hurricanes 2 years in a row. The last one really interrupted things here for well over a week and places near the ocean are still a mess. What I am afraid is that one of these days, perhaps sooner than we think, we'll get hit with a category 3 or 4 which would really put this place on hold for a long time.

K6CPO
01-12-2013, 04:17 PM
I've tried to watch "Doomsday Preppers" on National Geographic, but I can't get past the opening titles. Those people need serious psychiatric help...

PA5COR
01-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Even worse, they also show it here....:rant:

N7YA
01-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Planning for the end of civilization is an enjoyable mental exercise no matter how unlikely the actual event. I look at things like Hurricane Sandy and the earthquake we had down here as more likely scenarios. A tornado in my book is a limited disaster that can be recovered from fast. Guess I would own a tent, generator and porta-potty if my house got knocked down.

My most likely scenario (common among ol' folks) is that inflation runs rampant and I can't afford to grow old. I'm not looking at hitting the road, but being as self sufficient as possible right where I'm at. Well water, generator, 10 day supply of gas, stocked 15 cu ft. freezer and pantry, garden and chicken coop (to be built) and plenty of firewood. I don't consider that prepping as much as practical country living.

One thing I would add to Fred's list is a couple of fishing rods. People living near water have an excellent source of food if you like fish. I'd also add an air rifle. This year we have a herd of squirrels around the house. Even in an urban environment squirrels should be plentiful. Air rifles are quiet and we can all learn to love rodents.

I see you as a "Stocker". Preppers and hoarders build buildings for long term storage of food, buy chem suits and gas masks, modify their vehicles to drive through contamination zones and pre-build underground shelters.

Who ever takes over the Gov would get the bills to, I don't think that'll ever happen. That would be like willingly marrying Octomom

....where would you keep the porta-potty?

N7YA
01-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Clif bars also work, but have toothbrush and toothpaste on-hand for afterwards.

This is just good advice anyway. My pack has those items. In all likelyhood, i would find something other than Clif bars, something better for the body, you would need all the health benefits you can get.

ki4itv
01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
I've tried to watch "Doomsday Preppers" on National Geographic, but I can't get past the opening titles. Those people need serious psychiatric help...

I did too. I just couldn't get over what these people are putting their families through.
The one I tried to watch had a father stalking his kids while they were playing around the house. He would hide (buried under leaves and net camo at one point) then surprise attack them as part of their "training".
I couldn't stand it, watching the expression on one of the boys faces said it all. He just wanted to be a kid, and he should be able to be one. I was repulsed and haven't tuned in since.

W3WN
01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
If you run out of food, you always have the neighbors. Soooo...keep lots of BBQ sauce.Trafe.

KK4AMI
01-12-2013, 06:13 PM
....where would you keep the porta-potty?

I don't really know. Probably in my barn. At my age I should say close by!

N7YA
01-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Folding shovel and a couple of rolls of TP in big ziplock. Thats the way to go! :-D

Oh yeah, asswipes...gotta have a hefty supply of asswipes. :yes:

ki4itv
01-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah, asswipes...gotta have a hefty supply of asswipes. :yes:

May find those harder to come by without internet access. :dunno:

N7YA
01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
I was waiting for that. :lol:

n2ize
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I have a pack ready to grab-n-go if needed. It has the basics, and a bunch of small things i know i could use. I lived in the sticks before, a couple of hundred miles from a road or power. Not hard if you know what you need and how to best utilize it. Aside from that, i may never need it at all. Its just good to have something like that. Im certainly not a "400 guns and a nuke bomb shelter in my suburban basement" type of guy...thats just fucking stupid. Light mobility is key.

Actually a fallout shelter is a good thing to have.

W5GA
01-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I did too. I just couldn't get over what these people are putting their families through.
Whatever they are putting their families through is probably an improvement in the long term over waiting for the next insipid sitcom/reality show to come on the tube.

n2ize
01-14-2013, 05:45 AM
If an emergency comes pack a bag and a rifle and head to the hills ?? No, not for me. In times of disaster able bodied people (like myself) must stay behind and rebuild our towns and cities.

N7YA
01-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Actually a fallout shelter is a good thing to have.

Not in suburbia. I will agree with a storm cellar and fire safe for important papers and for protection from natural disasters...fire, tornado, quakes, storms, etc. If you need an actual nuclear fallout shelter, then it wont be large enough to sustain life for the amount of time it would take for it to be safe enough to emerge from. And by then, why would you want to?

N7YA
01-14-2013, 06:04 AM
If an emergency comes pack a bag and a rifle and head to the hills ?? No, not for me. In times of disaster able bodied people (like myself) must stay behind and rebuild our towns and cities.

Do that only when its safe to return. Too many people are dead right now because of that very thing. Im all about helping to rebuild, once the danger has passed, but if things get dangerous, im grabbing the pack and rifle and G'ing The FO!

N2CHX
01-14-2013, 07:03 AM
I have my generator in case the power goes out, we keep some water stocked and I try to keep a decent amount of food on hand in winter in case of a bad storm, but outside of that, if doomsday hits, meh. Count me out on wanting to survive that sort of thing.

KB3LAZ
01-14-2013, 07:32 AM
If I had a fallout shelter, I would want one large enough to house dozens of people I know. For when the crazy folk start coming around and hunting people for food. It is not the disaster itself that one should fear but rather the insane people that we call brethren. When there is no law, no order, no society, etc; that is when nutters of all kinds will come out to play. The hunters, the anarchists, the hero's, etc.

People are fruity and they scare me.

N2CHX
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
If I had a fallout shelter, I would want one large enough to house dozens of people I know. For when the crazy folk start coming around and hunting people for food. It is not the disaster itself that one should fear but rather the insane people that we call brethren. When there is no law, no order, no society, etc; that is when nutters of all kinds will come out to play. The hunters, the anarchists, the hero's, etc.

People are fruity and they scare me.

Which is exactly my point. I'll take Dead Before The Wack Jobs Come Out To Play for $1000, Alex.

PA5COR
01-14-2013, 07:46 AM
We keep a weeks worth of food in supply, as for the guns, 10.000 rounds or material to reload that number, just from economic point, buying bulk primrs and powder and bullets is cheeaper as buying small lots.

I don't believe in the doom scenario's the preppers do, i follow the news and if something pops up i have time enough to stock up.
Lots of tools here from my pipefitter/TIG welder time, can do most jobs myself, have a vegetable garden i get my potato's from and veggie's run solar and battery light in my shed, have several Maglite LED torches, 5 gallons petrol for the petrol lamps and stove to cook.

BBQ and enough charcoal to get me by for a week ;)

N2CHX
01-14-2013, 08:02 AM
We keep a weeks worth of food in supply, as for the guns, 10.000 rounds or material to reload that number, just from economic point, buying bulk primrs and powder and bullets is cheeaper as buying small lots.

I don't believe in the doom scenario's the preppers do, i follow the news and if something pops up i have time enough to stock up.
Lots of tools here from my pipefitter/TIG welder time, can do most jobs myself, have a vegetable garden i get my potato's from and veggie's run solar and battery light in my shed, have several Maglite LED torches, 5 gallons petrol for the petrol lamps and stove to cook.

BBQ and enough charcoal to get me by for a week ;)

That's cool. Question for you. Does your gas have ethanol in it, or is the US the only country stupid enough to require mixing alcohol with our gasoline? Cuz I used to keep some gas stored but now I can't because of that. Even the stabilizer doesn't seem to help enough to keep gas around for long.

KK4AMI
01-14-2013, 08:32 AM
That's cool. Question for you. Does your gas have ethanol in it, or is the US the only country stupid enough to require mixing alcohol with our gasoline? Cuz I used to keep some gas stored but now I can't because of that. Even the stabilizer doesn't seem to help enough to keep gas around for long.

You can still store it, you just need to cycle it through lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc. I guess in your case "MotorCycle" it. If you store it in 2.5 gal cans that should fill your tank.

PA5COR
01-14-2013, 09:01 AM
No ethanol or alcohol on our petrol her, just the plain 100% proof dinosaur stuff, you can store it quite long, though i mostly cycle it every 3 months in the car, and gett new petrol, in that time the quality didn't suffer.

That amount can last a long time cooking and lighting the stuff here, the longest of the 2 power outs here in 26 years was 6 hours though....

Heating is natural gas, which will have a contnuous supply even if the power goes off, no central heating just the old good heaters that work without electricity and keep on going.

3 handheld transceivers full LI Ion batteries for all, one can take standard AA batteries as well.
THe Kenwood TH F6 recieves shortwave All Mode and FM band as well.
THe FT 100 and FT 847 will run on an car battery of which i have one here kept topped up by solar panels, spare battery is in the shed also topped up with solar panels.
The FT 2000 D needs 230 volts for the 50 volt supply to the 200 watt P.A. it has, but i can replace the FT 2000 D in 10 minutes with the FT 847 and all accessories fit that one as well.
I also have a given 300 watt 12 volt to 230 volt sinus wave inverter that can be used to power some 230 volt AC stuff if need be.

Most was given to me or left over from projects but will come in handy if the proverbial sh*t hits the fan.
Never thought about prepping here, food enough water enough here.
Backyard fenced in 7 feet high fences with barbed wire on top, very low crime area here.
Camera both back and front of the house with small lcd monitor.
Massive wood front door, special burglar proof locks and hinges and clamps on all doors and windows standard here, double glazing with front of thaat glass 1/2 inch thick strengthened glass.
Brick walls,double inside wall reinforced concrete with cavity in between for isolation total 20 inches thick.

Dead end street only one access and way out, easy to defend if need be.
I know all neighbours and we watch out for eachother, keeping an eye out for strangers and things out of order.

KK4AMI
01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
No ethanol or alcohol on our petrol her, just the plain 100% proof dinosaur stuff, you can store it quite long, though i mostly cycle it every 3 months in the car, and gett new petrol, in that time the quality didn't suffer.

That amount can last a long time cooking and lighting the stuff here, the longest of the 2 power outs here in 26 years was 6 hours though....

Heating is natural gas, which will have a contnuous supply even if the power goes off, no central heating just the old good heaters that work without electricity and keep on going.

3 handheld transceivers full LI Ion batteries for all, one can take standard AA batteries as well.
THe Kenwood TH F6 recieves shortwave All Mode and FM band as well.
THe FT 100 and FT 847 will run on an car battery of which i have one here kept topped up by solar panels, spare battery is in the shed also topped up with solar panels.
The FT 2000 D needs 230 volts for the 50 volt supply to the 200 watt P.A. it has, but i can replace the FT 2000 D in 10 minutes with the FT 847 and all accessories fit that one as well.
I also have a given 300 watt 12 volt to 230 volt sinus wave inverter that can be used to power some 230 volt AC stuff if need be.

Most was given to me or left over from projects but will come in handy if the proverbial sh*t hits the fan.
Never thought about prepping here, food enough water enough here.
Backyard fenced in 7 feet high fences with barbed wire on top, very low crime area here.
Camera both back and front of the house with small lcd monitor.
Massive wood front door, special burglar proof locks and hinges and clamps on all doors and windows standard here, double glazing with front of thaat glass 1/2 inch thick strengthened glass.
Brick walls,double inside wall reinforced concrete with cavity in between for isolation total 20 inches thick.

Dead end street only one access and way out, easy to defend if need be.
I know all neighbours and we watch out for eachother, keeping an eye out for strangers and things out of order.

I think we have a Dutch to American translation issue here. Cor are you saying that you cook with (petrol, gasoline, benzene) the stuff you put in your car? Isn't that dangerous?

NQ6U
01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I think we have a Dutch to American translation issue here. Cor are you saying that you cook with (petrol, gasoline, benzene) the stuff you put in your car? Isn't that dangerous?

What do you think a Coleman stove runs on?

n2ize
01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Not in suburbia. I will agree with a storm cellar and fire safe for important papers and for protection from natural disasters...fire, tornado, quakes, storms, etc. If you need an actual nuclear fallout shelter, then it wont be large enough to sustain life for the amount of time it would take for it to be safe enough to emerge from. And by then, why would you want to?

Sure it would. The danger from fallout will pass in a relatively short time. Now, an actual blast shelter is another story.

KK4AMI
01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
What do you think a Coleman stove runs on?

HUh, I haven't used either since Boy Scouts, but I thought that was white gas or naphtha. As usual, I'm outta date!

n2ize
01-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Do that only when its safe to return. Too many people are dead right now because of that very thing. Im all about helping to rebuild, once the danger has passed, but if things get dangerous, im grabbing the pack and rifle and G'ing The FO!

Not me. Unless ordered to evacuate and take to the hills I stay behind and help in the relief effort, emergency aid, cleanup, rebuilding even while a disaster is ongoing. I am not a member of the "take to the hills" fraternity.

n2ize
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
HUh, I haven't used either since Boy Scouts, but I thought that was white gas or naphtha

White gas is Naphtha. And yes, most of the Coleman stuff runs on naphtha. Naphtha works great with platinum catalytic heaters. Of course some of it runs on propane.

PA5COR
01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
The heater is petroleum of the stuff almost the same as put in planes.
Lamps are gas lamps put pressure on it and the "sock"in it makes the fuel vapour burn very bright white.
Giving off some heat as well, petroleum is safer for cooking i inherited a cooker from my parents when they passed, normally used for stew preparing or anything that needs to cook a long time on a low flame.

Natural gas is also used for normal cooking here, never had an outage on our natural gas here in the 40 years we use it out of our natural gas wells.
New fields have been found in the North Sea, adding to our natural resources another 50 - 100 years, good for export as well.
Also in the shed is a wood burning stove, my chimney is rated for oone, so if in need i can replace the natural gas stove for the woodburner.

That should cover most stuff needed, always a reasonable supply cash in the house to do the supply shopping.
( electronic money tills don't work without electricity) so keeping 500 - 1000 euro's cash in the gun vault.

We've beeen snowed in for a week or so in the time i live, i'll survive that if that happens again.
That is about the worst i can imagine that can happen here ;)

W5GA
01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Uh, guys, white gas isn't naptha...it's regular gas without the tetraethyl lead that used to be used as an octane booster, and as such it didn't have any dye any it like MV fuel did and does. The lead wasn't good for stoves/lanterns, as it clogged the transfer pipes over time. Outside of cans of Coleman fuel, I don't think it's even made anymore.

n2ize
01-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Uh, guys, white gas isn't naptha...it's regular gas without the tetraethyl lead that used to be used as an octane booster, and as such it didn't have any dye any it like MV fuel did and does. The lead wasn't good for stoves/lanterns, as it clogged the transfer pipes over time. Outside of cans of Coleman fuel, I don't think it's even made anymore.

Naptha is any hydrocarbon mix fuel that consists of the lighter and more volatile hydrocarbon molecules. Regular gasoline is essentially a naphtha base as the majority of the hydrocarbon molecules that comprise gasoline fall into the range of light and volatile hydrocarbon molecules that define naphtha. Thus you are correct. White Gas is essentially gasoline (the lighter and volatile hydrocarbons) without lead of other additives that are common to gasoline used as engine fuel. White gas = naphtha. Cigarette lighter fluid is also naphtha.

Years ago we used to use the old Jon-E hand warmers in winter. They consisted of a fuel reservoir and a mini catalytic heater. The only fuel that would work in those was naphtha. When we didn;t have Jon-E fuel on hand we would use Ronson of Zippo cigarette lighter fluid (naphtha) of else we would use white gas (naphtha) or generic naphtha from the paint store. All worked equally well.

N7YA
01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Not me. Unless ordered to evacuate and take to the hills I stay behind and help in the relief effort, emergency aid, cleanup, rebuilding even while a disaster is ongoing. I am not a member of the "take to the hills" fraternity.

John, i have no problem with the relief effort. Its the "shits going down" phase that i'm getting out of the way of. Its foolish to think its a good idea to stay when everything is going to hell. I absolutely am one of those 'take to the hills' people! When the danger has passed, ill come back, with all the other people who didn't die by staying in their house, and help with the cleanup so life can get back to as close to normal as possible. I respect what you're saying, i think our idea of timeline is not matching up.

n2ize
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
John, i have no problem with the relief effort. Its the "shits going down" phase that i'm getting out of the way of. Its foolish to think its a good idea to stay when everything is going to hell. I absolutely am one of those 'take to the hills' people! When the danger has passed, ill come back, with all the other people who didn't die by staying in their house, and help with the cleanup so life can get back to as close to normal as possible. I respect what you're saying, i think our idea of timeline is not matching up.

I guess it depends on just what is "going down". If it is something like a hurricane and there is advanced warning it may make sense to depopulate the area or at least the most critical areas while the event is taking place which can span many many hours. If it is something like a devastating tornado there is little advanced warning and the event goes down quick and sudden and then its over leaving no time to take to the hills. In such case able bodies men need to stay and rebuild and provide relief for their villages, towns and cities.Similarly if it is an atomic blast and you happen to be far enough away as to not get wiped out there is no point in taking to the hills. At that point able bodies men need to do the same and provide the needed help and energy required to bring forth life saving efforts and recovery.

N7YA
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I guess it depends on just what is "going down". If it is something like a hurricane and there is advanced warning it may make sense to depopulate the area or at least the most critical areas while the event is taking place which can span many many hours. If it is something like a devastating tornado there is little advanced warning and the event goes down quick and sudden and then its over leaving no time to take to the hills. In such case able bodies men need to stay and rebuild and provide relief for their villages, towns and cities.Similarly if it is an atomic blast and you happen to be far enough away as to not get wiped out there is no point in taking to the hills. At that point able bodies men need to do the same and provide the needed help and energy required to bring forth life saving efforts and recovery.

Fair enough. By the way, women can help out too. ;)

NA4BH
01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Fair enough. By the way, women can help out too. ;)

Cooking and cleaning?

Goddamnit, quit hitting me in the head with the frying pan. Can anybody else hear the ringing? :anyone:

N7YA
01-14-2013, 10:52 PM
I always hear a ringing...its always with me....so are the voices...:shifty:

NA4BH
01-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I always hear a ringing...its always with me....so are the voices...:shifty:

You too ????

NQ6U
01-14-2013, 10:58 PM
You too ????

What really bothers me is the neighbor's dog. Fucker is always telling me to go out and kill people.

ka4dpo
01-14-2013, 10:59 PM
I have been storing argyle socks and Tab Hunter sweaters for a long time. I also have several pairs of Wingtips and a good supply of Kiwi shoe polish. I guess I'm a preppie.

ka4dpo
01-14-2013, 11:00 PM
What really bothers me is the neighbor's dog. Fucker is always telling me to go out and kill people.

Does he have a name?

NQ6U
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Does he have a name?

Sam, I think.

NA4BH
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Don't trust him

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnvj3ahoWG1qirf7d.gif

N7YA
01-15-2013, 02:25 AM

Why not? Its worked before.

WØTKX
01-15-2013, 06:13 PM
http://damontucker.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/bombshelter2.jpg

N7YA
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Worlds smallest Airstream! Worth a mint.