PDA

View Full Version : WTF Happened To Fire Fox?

KG4CGC
01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Last couple of weeks it's been running like dogs### on the XYL's machine and last night on my machine it slowed down and smooth scrolling got jagged and annoying. As of yesterday, it quit working altogether on the XYL's machine and I am unable to download FF to see if the program needed re-installing. I was using Chrome to do this, went out of Chrome and tried to run install and it failed ... several times. Same thing happened when I tried to do the same with IE.

As of a few minutes ago, pictures loaded slowly or just showed up pixelated. Pages loaded slowly as if the connection was bad and I can't find info on the web to see if this is happening elsewhere.

NQ6U
01-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I have no problems to report using FF under Ubuntu Linux, Windows XP and Mac OS X. Well, not beyond the memory leak thing anyhow, and that only happens on the Windows machine.

KG4CGC
01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah, it's happened on Vista first and now XP.

N2CHX
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Using FF on this Linux box with no issues. Well, other than that memory leak thing that seems to only happen with streaming video.

KG4CGC
01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I went into about:config and found CT (community toolbar) stuff covering the top of the list and scrolling down several spaces it is extensive. Then, the rest of the stuff in alphabetical order begins.
WTH is community toolbar? Is it supposed to be there? Last night FF did start up weird like I cleared all the temp files and I had to retype all the info I usually leave in memory. As if I ran CCleaner. (but I didn't)

KG4CGC
01-11-2013, 07:57 PM
It (CT) was apparently an extension that I either have no recollection of adding or did not add and somehow it found its way on my machine.

KJ3N
01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
What did Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) find when you ran it?

How about Spybot Search & Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/)?

ComboFix (http://www.combofix.org/)?

KG4CGC
01-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Nothing
Nothing
Never heard of comboFix ...

I went into tools, options, advanced, yada yada to get to the memory setting. WTF? The memory was turned down to 356MG and I always have that setting wide open at 1024.
Like I said, something happened yesterday when I started it back up last night. Was there an update?
Seems to be working, "better" now but the wife's machine is still a mystery.

KG4CGC
01-11-2013, 08:07 PM
And please tell me more about ComboFix ... ☺

KJ3N
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
And please tell me more about ComboFix ... ☺

Just another tool in the arsenal. I've used it on particularly stubborn cases. I don't use it often. Be sure you have a good backup before you use it.

N2CHX
01-11-2013, 09:25 PM
It (CT) was apparently an extension that I either have no recollection of adding or did not add and somehow it found its way on my machine.

One question: why are you not yet using Linux?

KJ3N
01-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Not enough bar tips. ;)

W3WN
01-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Funny you should mention that. I just got an old laptop from WB4GCS, and since I agreed to wipe off whatever is left on the drive... Ubuntu is looking real good right now...

KG4CGC
01-11-2013, 10:28 PM

What's Linux?

kf0rt
01-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Switch to Chrome. You likely won't regret it.

KJ3N
01-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Switch to Chrome. You likely won't regret it.

I tried it once, a couple of years ago. Wasn't impressed. I'll stick with FF for now. Seems to run fine under Win 7 and 8GB of RAM. ;)

NQ6U
01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
What's Linux?

He was a character in the Peanuts comic strip. Lucy's brother, I believe.

kf0rt
01-11-2013, 11:57 PM
I tried it once, a couple of years ago. Wasn't impressed. I'll stick with FF for now. Seems to run fine under Win 7 and 8GB of RAM. ;)

Took an hour or two to get used to it.

Mo' betta; haven't looked back.

KG4CGC
01-12-2013, 01:16 AM
On zoom in Chrome, what if I just want to zoom text only?

KG4CGC
01-12-2013, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've figured out how to change the font size but it's not as easy as a couple clicks and switching back and forth between zoom and zoom text only. I was able to import my updated bookmarks since the first time I did that when installing Chrome.

It's like FF is broken.

n2ize
01-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Doesn't FF or Window$ keep a log of any and all automatic changes and updates that are made ?

KA9MOT
01-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I noticed that FF did an update yesterday. They also released a new Beta yesterday. My FF seems to be working fine on my windows machine. I use FF and Chromium on the Ubuntu box. I don't get to use it much anymore. My oldest kid came home and he thinks I can't track his History on Ubuntu. Dumb ass.

N1LAF
01-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I was having problems with Firefox a couple versions ago, some pages, it was crawling, became non-responsive. Version 18 seems to do well, as all the problems disappeared. Checked for malware, none found.

I did install this: Memory Fox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/memory-fox/

Clear cache, history, etc..

Seemed to help.

Memory usage was going through the roof when I was experiencing this problem, but now down to a comfortable 188 MB with two tabs open.

Click on Help:About - what version are you running?

N2CHX
01-12-2013, 09:29 PM
This is with 14 tabs open in Firefox and one in Chrome (I've had up to 20. I've been doing intense web development the last two weeks). Chrome's only purpose in life right now is to stream Pandora to entertain me while I work.

Haven't rebooted the computer or restarted FF in days now. I did get some FF updates sometime during the week, which would have been the last restart.

OS is Linux Mint, running Cinnamon. I have 6 GB of RAM on this 64 bit, 2.1 gig Toshiba Satellite.

n2ize
01-13-2013, 11:20 AM
On Linux FF is bloated and slow. I much prefer Opera and Chrome... in that order. Of course I should really be using Lynx.

N2CHX
01-13-2013, 11:26 AM
On Linux FF is bloated and slow. I much prefer Opera and Chrome... in that order. Of course I should really be using Lynx.

I was having some issues with it, but since I upgraded to the newest version of Mint and now did these last updates to FF, as you can see it's working well. I'm quite pleased.

NM5TF
01-16-2013, 12:39 PM
I finally decided to dump FF, mostly because I've been spending a lot of
time on CodeAcademy learning JavaScript...FF didn't work well with that
site for some reason...

have noticed that Chromium seems much faster than FF...even with ABP
and Ghostery enabled

importing my FF bookmarks was easy & took only about 3-5 seconds & 1
click.....

happy so far!!!

WØTKX
01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I use Chrome, FF, and IE. Depending. Chrome is usually the fastest, but I have a bunch of cool add-ons in FF.

KG4CGC
01-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Okie folks. I thought I had the XYL's machine straightened out but now, none of the browsers let her stay online for more than 5 minutes before they all just not connect. The spinning circle that tells you that the connection is being made will spin forever. No error message, just keeps spinning until I shut the browser down. I've uninstalled all the crap that has crept in over the last few months that I was suspect of. I've downloaded new versions of FF and Chrome. Ran scans from anti-virus to anti-malware and beyond. Nothing is coming up. System restore to before it started happening and nothing.
I'm about to copy the drivers to a storage drive and rape the OS of Vista and install XP.

Anyone have a clue? Advice? Please don't say Linux. My wife will not be able to use Linux. More like, what is wrong with the browsers or what is eating at them.

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 02:40 PM
You could try re-installing the IP stack manually. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 Scroll down a bit for Vista.

This one seems a bit more complete. http://geekswithblogs.net/mattcampbell/archive/2007/09/30/Resetting-your-whole-IP-stack-in-Vista.aspx

KC2UGV
01-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Okie folks. I thought I had the XYL's machine straightened out but now, none of the browsers let her stay online for more than 5 minutes before they all just not connect. The spinning circle that tells you that the connection is being made will spin forever. No error message, just keeps spinning until I shut the browser down. I've uninstalled all the crap that has crept in over the last few months that I was suspect of. I've downloaded new versions of FF and Chrome. Ran scans from anti-virus to anti-malware and beyond. Nothing is coming up. System restore to before it started happening and nothing.
I'm about to copy the drivers to a storage drive and rape the OS of Vista and install XP.

Anyone have a clue? Advice? Please don't say Linux. My wife will not be able to use Linux. More like, what is wrong with the browsers or what is eating at them.

Install Linux and just tell her it's Windows 8 :lol:

KG4CGC
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Jim. I'll give that a shot.

KG4CGC
01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
So far so good. Let's see how it performs the rest of the day.
Thanks!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/49e24f0f.jpg

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Which link did you use?

KG4CGC
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Geekswithblogs

KJ3N
01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Out of curiosity, did she have a couple of shopping tool bars installed in FF? Or maybe some third party searching tool bars?

KG4CGC
01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Out of curiosity, did she have a couple of shopping tool bars installed in FF? Or maybe some third party searching tool bars?
Yes. I had removed them. Uninstalled with the uninstaller in control panel. She installed them when she installed other software for some forum monitoring crap when she was doing admin crap on a site that tried to compete with Fubar.
I've told her repeatedly not to listen to people on the internet without checking it with me but everyone on the internet sounds so informative, right?
I've also told to quit watching movies online outside of Hulu. We have like 380 or more channels that we pay for, having all the HBOs, all the Cinemax channels, all the Showtime and The Movie Channel channels as well as all the sub-premium and pseudo premium channels is more than enough GD channels and movies than one needs. But for some GD reason she has to see "THIS" movie and must see it "NOW."
It's a problem. I've talked to her in the past about getting rid of all the extra crap and she gets freaked out. Yeah, I could go one about this but if she wants me to fix her computer, she needs to do exactly what I tell her because I'm a man and men know things. LOL! I'm kind of joking here. She pulls the dumb girl card when it suits her.

So to answer your question, Yes.

NM5TF
01-18-2013, 10:48 AM
1 question....does it STILL have WIN Vista OS???

if so, WHY????

n2ize
01-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I used to like Firefox in the old days but as they adopted a diametrical programming language I stopped using it. Too much spyware and government back doors encrypted into the machine code.

KJ3N
01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
I used to like Firefox in the old days but as they adopted a diametrical programming language I stopped using it. Too much spyware and government back doors encrypted into the machine code.

Your evidence?

NM5TF
01-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Your evidence?

"Jesse Ventura Conspiracy Theories" :snicker::shhh::quiet::scared:

KJ3N
01-18-2013, 06:52 PM
"Jesse Ventura Conspiracy Theories" :snicker::shhh::quiet::scared:

Is that peer reviewed? ;)

NM5TF
01-19-2013, 09:27 AM
well, of course it is...:homer::plusone:

KG4CGC
01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Because my wife needed a computer when Vista was the OS du jour. Me and millions of others got shit out of W7 mere days later.
Unless someone knows where we can get W7 at a deeply discounted price. I'd throw that on a new HD and let'er rip.

WØTKX
01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
$39.00 for Windows 8, online. Just Sayin'.

KG4CGC
01-19-2013, 03:16 PM
$39.00 for Windows 8, online. Just Sayin'.
Fuck.
Windows.
Eight.

Windows 7 will be the next XP.

KG4CGC
01-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Oh and thanks. I know you're just trying to help..

KJ3N
01-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Fuck.
Windows.
Eight.

Not even with Marcus Bachmann's dick. :hand:

KG4CGC
01-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Not even with Marcus Bachmann's dick. :hand:
I heard that thing is inverted from Michele pounding him so hard.

NQ6U
01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I heard that thing is inverted from Michele pounding him so hard.

From a covert recording of Marcus's boyfriend:

"It looks like the thumb of an old glove."