PDA

View Full Version : TWA Flight 800 by Nat Geo

X-Rated
01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLPIgXCWUWA

Sounds plausible except they threw in the "...two miniscule pauses...each are 2 microseconds long." Even if you consider that the 2 microseconds could be a halfwave and we are looking at a response of 4uS on the tape, it would mean that the recording fidelity of the tape would need to be better than 250kHz. I can't buy that. 2 milliseconds I could buy. Maybe they misspoke.

KC2UGV
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLPIgXCWUWA

Sounds plausible except they threw in the "...two miniscule pauses...each are 2 microseconds long." Even if you consider that the 2 microseconds could be a halfwave and we are looking at a response of 4uS on the tape, it would mean that the recording fidelity of the tape would need to be better than 250kHz. I can't buy that. 2 milliseconds I could buy. Maybe they misspoke.

I think they mispoke. 2 microseconds is imperceptible to the human ear as a "pause".

KG4CGC
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Without watching the vid ... yet ... is this about the pilot allegedly saying something in the name of Allah before nose diving the plane into the ocean? I heard a lot of people saying that after someone else says the military shot it down because they were having missile practice off the coast of Virginia and one got away from them.

N2CHX
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I think they mispoke. 2 microseconds is imperceptible to the human ear as a "pause".

It has nothing to do with what you can hear, it's the analyzing of missing data from the voice recorder. They believe the missing data segments coincide with the shorting of a power cable to the fuel level sensor in the tank.

kb2vxa
01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
That was the cover story. It wasn't a radar ghost, it was Obama bin Laden on his flying carpet shouldering a Stinger missile.

X-Rated
01-07-2013, 10:23 PM
It has nothing to do with what you can hear, it's the analyzing of missing data from the voice recorder. They believe the missing data segments coincide with the shorting of a power cable to the fuel level sensor in the tank.

2uS on magnetic tape? I dare anyone to detect a 2uS pause on magnetic tape whether it is with any method you want. The tape response would have to be better than 500kHz actually.

N2CHX
01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
2uS on magnetic tape? I dare anyone to detect a 2uS pause on magnetic tape whether it is with any method you want. The tape response would have to be better than 500kHz actually.

I realize that and I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was replying to Corey that it wasn't about hearing anything. Even though in this case the "pause" wouldn't be detectable if it was 2 uS, longer ones that may be detectable by waveform analysis of the recording might not be audible. I agree, it can't be 2 us. Even 2 ms would probably not be detectable by just listening though.

That said, you'd have plenty of room on a video tape for that kind of response ;)

X-Rated
01-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Yeah, with a spinning head. Indications were that this was an audio tape.

N2CHX
01-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah, with a spinning head. Indications were that this was an audio tape.

Yes, I know. Jesus, stop being so serious. You did say, "I dare anyone to detect a 2uS pause on magnetic tape whether it is with any method you want" though. But I know, can't admit you might be wrong, especially if it means a chick is right, when it comes to technical stuff.

KC2UGV
01-08-2013, 07:36 AM

It would hardly be a "pause". 2us isn't even out of tempo for speech is my point. Even if they saw the waveform analysis, it wouldn't be called a pause. It would be normal tempo of syllables.

N2CHX
01-08-2013, 08:25 AM
It would hardly be a "pause". 2us isn't even out of tempo for speech is my point. Even if they saw the waveform analysis, it wouldn't be called a pause. It would be normal tempo of syllables.

Haven't done a lot of waveform analysis, have ya? ;)

I have, in both audio and RF. You most certainly would see it, because with any recording device, there is always ambient noise coming from various sources; microphones, amplifier stages, etc. It may not be a "pause" in terms of what you can hear, which is exactly what I said earlier, but if there is a loss of power to an amplifier stage or a microphone for example, you would most definitely see a change in a waveform analysis. This type of analysis of ambient noise is exactly how recordings are analyzed to determine if they are edited or not. It's really not as difficult as it might seem.

X-Rated
01-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Yes, I know. Jesus, stop being so serious. You did say, "I dare anyone to detect a 2uS pause on magnetic tape whether it is with any method you want" though. But I know, can't admit you might be wrong, especially if it means a chick is right, when it comes to technical stuff.

You are right. I was thinking one instance and did not limit it.

KC2UGV
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM

I have, in both audio and RF. You most certainly would see it, because with any recording device, there is always ambient noise coming from various sources; microphones, amplifier stages, etc. It may not be a "pause" in terms of what you can hear, which is exactly what I said earlier, but if there is a loss of power to an amplifier stage or a microphone for example, you would most definitely see a change in a waveform analysis. This type of analysis of ambient noise is exactly how recordings are analyzed to determine if they are edited or not. It's really not as difficult as it might seem.

I'm positive you can see it in a waveform... What I am saying, 2 us is hardly a pause. It's less than a caught breath. It's within the normal syllabic pause range :)

X-Rated
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM

Dunno if you viewed the video or not but the tape they showed from the black box was audio tape and the analysis they used certainly had 2 pauses that were audible.

N2CHX
01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm positive you can see it in a waveform... What I am saying, 2 us is hardly a pause. It's less than a caught breath. It's within the normal syllabic pause range :)

Depends on what your definition of pause is. This is why I have said over and over that we're not talking about speech, we're talking about an analysis of an audio recording. A pause in speech is one thing. A pause in the normal flow of ambient noise in a recording is totally another. I've been trying to say this to you but you've not been getting it. Speech is irrelevant here. I'll make it easy for you. Dropout may be a better word for it. And I'm not referring to anything having to do with high school :neener:

pause

/pôz/

Noun

A temporary stop in action or speech.

Verb

Interrupt action or speech briefly.

N2CHX
01-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Dunno if you viewed the video or not but the tape they showed from the black box was audio tape and the analysis they used certainly had 2 pauses that were audible.

I didn't, but I've read up on the investigation. The pauses may have been audible on the show, for entertainment purposes. That doesn't mean it wasn't edited. Just saying. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. Not really relevant. The fact is, they determined there was an electrical malfunction on somewhere on the aircraft by analyzing dropouts (pauses, as the show put it) in the recording.

KC2UGV
01-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Depends on what your definition of pause is. This is why I have said over and over that we're not talking about speech, we're talking about an analysis of an audio recording. A pause in speech is one thing. A pause in the normal flow of ambient noise in a recording is totally another. I've been trying to say this to you but you've not been getting it. Speech is irrelevant here. I'll make it easy for you. Dropout may be a better word for it. And I'm not referring to anything having to do with high school :neener:

pause

/pôz/

Noun

A temporary stop in action or speech.

Verb

Interrupt action or speech briefly.

Ok, dropout would be another story altogether. Just a pause in speech of 2 us isn't notable was my point.

N2CHX
01-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Ok, dropout would be another story altogether. Just a pause in speech of 2 us isn't notable was my point.

You're applying the word to speech, but it can be applied to anything, which is what I've been trying to say since my second post :-P

But yes, dropout is a better word.

KC2UGV
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
You're applying the word to speech, but it can be applied to anything, which is what I've been trying to say since my second post :-P

But yes, dropout is a better word.

Derp. Yep, I see that now. NM.

N2CHX
01-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Derp. Yep, I see that now. NM.

Hahahahahaha! :heart: