PDA

View Full Version : Things you don't want to inherit from Grandpa

KK4AMI
01-05-2013, 09:03 AM
My BIL inherited a bunch of stuff from his Grandfather and he wanted to show me. His Grandpa was a B-26 pilot that completed 75 missions in the big WII. The BIL showed me a neat shadow box with all his grandfather's medals,ranks and squadron patches. He showed me a real bomber jacket with squadron patch and L/Col ranks. Finally he showed me a bunch of souvenir ammunition that his gramps collected. 3 rds of German 7.92mm, 3 rds of German 13mm Machine gun, 2rds of US 50 Cal and 3 rounds of German 20 mm cannon ammunition (painted yellow to indicate HE, with nose fuzes in place.) Guess what, none of the ammo was demilled. Whoopsie!

X-Rated
01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
You just want to take away muh ammo.

KK4AMI
01-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Cannon shells are listed as "Destructive Devices" and not legal to own. The BIL is going to take the safe way out and have the cops dispose of them.

K7SGJ
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Cannon shells are listed as "Destructive Devices" and not legal to own. The BIL is going to take the safe way out and have the cops dispose of them.

Should have given them to the Myth Busters.

ka4dpo
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM

not legal to own You mean besides being really really stupid? A 20mm shell will leave a nasty mark.:homer:

kds
01-05-2013, 04:34 PM
I inherited a lot of WWII war trophies from my grandfather. A lot of Nazi patches, a helmet, some rifles, and other things. But the coolest thing of all was a Nazi officer's ceremonial sword. Brass handle with a lion's head on it, and ruby gems in the lion's eyes. Identical to this one: http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2011/09/22/198249_02_nazi_officers_sword_640.jpg

Freakin' creepy though, knowing that the soldiers these were taken off of were probably dead at the time.

N7YA
01-05-2013, 04:46 PM
I inherited a lot of WWII war trophies from my grandfather. A lot of Nazi patches, a helmet, some rifles, and other things. But the coolest thing of all was a Nazi officer's ceremonial sword. Brass handle with a lion's head on it, and ruby gems in the lion's eyes. Identical to this one: http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2011/09/22/198249_02_nazi_officers_sword_640.jpg

Freakin' creepy though, knowing that the soldiers these were taken off of were probably dead at the time.

Very likely. I have quite a few war collectibles going back to the Ottoman empire, possibly Roman. Spear points and body armour plates, etc., all battlefield found and bent up. Likely used....for their intended purpose.

ka4dpo
01-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Very likely. I have quite a few war collectibles going back to the Ottoman empire, possibly Roman. Spear points and body armour plates, etc., all battlefield found and bent up. Likely used....for their intended purpose.

I have an Ottoman, very comfy.

KG4CGC
01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/job7mw/shorties-watchin--shorties-aunt-tique
Moses was in her yearbook.

N7YA
01-05-2013, 05:09 PM
I have an Ottoman, very comfy.

Also used in battle...cat vs. feet.

W3WN
01-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Heck, that's nuthin'. You should hear the story K3AIR tells about the widow with a machine gun in her attic... working and complete with at least a yard of ammo, pointed at the Butler Co 911 center.

kb2vxa
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Is it a Maxim?

KK4AMI
01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Nah, she was probably too old to need a Maxim Pad anymore!

W3WN
01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Is it a Maxim?I don't know. Did they make one for the Japanese?

ka4dpo
01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I had to fire a guy in 1997 for picking up dud shells. We were doing a test at Edwards AFB and were out on the range. Before you can go to the range you have to be briefed by the Range Control officer because there are dud areas where you are not allowed to go. These are clearly marked on the map and in some cases by small stakes and streamers. Anyway we were standing on a large concrete observation pad on the edge of a dud area watching a C-130 deploy our equipment when one of the guys on my team came walking up with four thirty mm unexploded rounds. He said they were only about 20 yards from the pad we were on. This caused an instant laundry problem. I made him put them down gently and then scrubbed the test and we headded back to the range office called EOD, and called it a day. I was royally pissed off.

A little later I called my boss and told him what had happened. We got the guy reassigned at APG on another program the very next day cause he didn't have enough sense to work for me. Some people are just born stupid.

KK4AMI
01-06-2013, 11:13 AM
I had to fire a guy in 1997 for picking up dud shells. We were doing a test at Edwards AFB and were out on the range. Before you can go to the range you have to be briefed by the Range Control officer because there are dud areas where you are not allowed to go. These are clearly marked on the map and in some cases by small stakes and streamers. Anyway we were standing on a large concrete observation pad on the edge of a dud area watching a C-130 deploy our equipment when one of the guys on my team came walking up with four thirty mm unexploded rounds. He said they were only about 20 yards from the pad we were on. This caused an instant laundry problem. I made him put them down gently and then scrubbed the test and we headded back to the range office called EOD, and called it a day. I was royally pissed off.

A little later I called my boss and told him what had happened. We got the guy reassigned at APG on another program the very next day cause he didn't have enough sense to work for me. Some people are just born stupid.

You sent him to APG??? Where they have bigger dud shells like 155, 172 and 205mm. Were you all trying to make sure that if he did it again you could just list him as missing? :lol:

X-Rated
01-06-2013, 11:58 AM
You sent him to APG??? Where they have bigger dud shells like 155, 172 and 205mm. Were you all trying to make sure that if he did it again you could just list him as missing? :lol:

MIA. Missing in Atmosphere.

ka4dpo
01-09-2013, 08:03 PM

Good point but they put him to work evaluating watercraft. Last I heard he moved to Greenbelt and was programming the Hubble Telescope.

Good point but they put him to work evaluating watercraft. Last I heard he moved to Greenbelt and was programming the Hubble Telescope.

Interesting factoid: Did you know that all Hubble personnel are required to have a top secret clearance? Also I bet none of you know why they really had to put glasses on the Hubble.

KK4AMI
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Interesting factoid: Did you know that all Hubble personnel are required to have a top secret clearance? Also I bet none of you know why they really had to put glasses on the Hubble.

Reading glasses for close up work?

ka4dpo
01-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Ding ding ding, give that man a Ceeegar..... When Hubble is not searching the cosmos it is looking in our bathroom windows..

KC2UGV
01-10-2013, 10:40 AM

Because of an imperfection on the focusing mirror, which was off by about 2 microns, causing a failure to be able to focus on one of the primary goals of Hubble: A distant Galaxy.

It's actually quite easy to find out what the glasses were for. It's also easy to find out why people needed a TS clearance to work on Hubble (Hint: It's the same reason a TS clearance was/is needed to work on the Curiosity Project).

NQ6U
01-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Hubble uses a lot of the same optical technology as the KH-9 reconnaissance spacecraft, that's why a top secret classification is required. As far as using it for spying on Earth targets, that's not likely for a couple of reasons, the main one being that the space telescope is now outdated technology; the KH-11 satellite has far superior optics and will probably form the nucleus for Hubble's replacement. Also, the Hubble doesn't have enough fuel to be constantlly rotating from deep space imaging to earthbound stuff.

ka4dpo
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Because of an imperfection on the focusing mirror, which was off by about 2 microns, causing a failure to be able to focus on one of the primary goals of Hubble: A distant Galaxy.

It's actually quite easy to find out what the glasses were for. It's also easy to find out why people needed a TS clearance to work on Hubble (Hint: It's the same reason a TS clearance was/is needed to work on the Curiosity Project).

Very little of Hubbels time is spent looking at the cosmos and most is spent focused on certain areas of the Earth. It's a spy satellite that doubles as a science project.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Very little of Hubbels time is spent looking at the cosmos and most is spent focused on certain areas of the Earth. It's a spy satellite that doubles as a science project.

Really? I wonder how well a lense designed for looking multiple light years away works at less than a few million miles?

Ever try to use a telescope as a microscope?

ka4dpo
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Really? I wonder how well a lense designed for looking multiple light years away works at less than a few million miles?

Ever try to use a telescope as a microscope?

Precisely, that was why they performed the very first mission to retrofit the optics. It was all done to confuse any would be spies from getting the whole picture. It was very well played as a big "woops, we goofed" ruse. Very clever.

Now close your blinds,,,,,,,, and stop touching yourself Kent..:-D

KC2UGV
01-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Precisely, that was why they performed the very first mission to retrofit the optics. It was all done to confuse any would be spies from getting the whole picture. It was very well played as a big "woops, we goofed" ruse. Very clever.

Now close your blinds,,,,,,,, and stop touching yourself Kent..:-D

So, they made the telescope better, to confuse people into thinking it's purpose was a telescope, instead of a microscope?

ka4dpo
01-12-2013, 11:55 PM
So, they made the telescope better, to confuse people into thinking it's purpose was a telescope, instead of a microscope?

They made it so it can do either. It is only a matter of focal length in the optics. Take a Tasco refractor telescope and point it at something five miles away. It will bring it very close up, how do you think telephoto lenses work, they are telescopes. In the case of the Hubble the mirror collects light and the secondary optics determine the focal length. Very simple to install secondary optics ahead of the CCD that alow it to see 1 million light years away or 250 miles away with great clarity.

KC2UGV
01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
They made it so it can do either. It is only a matter of focal length in the optics. Take a Tasco refractor telescope and point it at something five miles away. It will bring it very close up, how do you think telephoto lenses work, they are telescopes. In the case of the Hubble the mirror collects light and the secondary optics determine the focal length. Very simple to install secondary optics ahead of the CCD that alow it to see 1 million light years away or 250 miles away with great clarity.

Sigh...

N7YA
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
That makes me want to open the blinds up wide, remove all clothing and wax the pud skyward in all my glory.

kb2vxa
01-13-2013, 03:42 PM
The picture returned of your expermament proves it is a tellerscope for sure.

N7YA
01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Mine are more handsome than that...its a hoax!