PDA

View Full Version : "My God, it's full of Yagis!"

Jeff K1NSS
01-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Dashtoons' JA Rover robot probe Satisfaction successfully impacted Planet 日本, King of All Ham Radio Worlds 0400-ish UTC January 4th.

First picture of the landing is reproduced here and the complete story thus far is now playing at Dashtoons (http://www.dashtoons.com).

Conducted by DASHA in coordination with the Pet Propulsion Laboratory, headed by Maximum Mission Director Dr. Dashiell Hammutt, this great leap for hamkind heralds a new communications paradigm in which actual Japanese ham radio lingo will be brought back for study and possible application in ham internet chat and QSL card comments – a bit of wasbi to spice up the same old 599s and BCNUs, or something. Like, when we started firing off all them war surplus V-2s, who knew the upshot would be Tang?

Hey, you never know until you're Out There.

Join us!

Jeff K1NSS

N2CHX
01-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Heh, cool! Nice artwork.

ki4itv
01-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Nice. Being printed in Japham, Jeff?

WØTKX
01-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Shouldn't this have been "it's full of Udas"? :mrgreen:

ki4itv
01-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Uda think. Yagis is as good as mine.

N8YX
01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Cute, and slightly less injurious to the incoming explorers than a continent full of verticals would be.

Like the U.S. in, say, 1977 - at the zenith of the CB boom.

WØTKX
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh, I think fringe reception areas before cable TV outnumbered those 11 Meter Udas.

Jeff K1NSS
01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Tnx Gang! No, not published in Japan yet, but an OM can dream, eh? Be nice to have the books in Japanese, as eBooks, but fuggetabout print. That's not even viable in English.

Yah,Yagi Uda, ha! Well, Yagi works both sides of the Pacific and I did have a bamboo beam already drawn, so rather than draw different Udas I took the copy and paste path of least resistance.

Joined a Japanese ham Facebook group, shared this and other material and received a lot of favorable reaction. Some speak English, a few work in the US and Google Translate works well enough to chat after a fashion, always at risk though of telling someone their mother eats skunk cabbage.

NQ6U
01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
always at risk though of telling someone their mother eats skunk cabbage.

Hey, my muddah eats skunk cabbage! You gotta problem widdat??

Jeff K1NSS
01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Not if she don't wear Army shoes at da same freakin' time, Pally!

So how youse doin' ?

kb2vxa
01-05-2013, 09:52 PM
So... destination Japan? Still it looks like a Moxon and a discone. I wonder why the probe looks like a balloon in a Macy's parade or maybe a parody of the British failure Beagle that crashed on Mars? Dashtoons requires further investigation. Yagi Uda? Like hell I did!

KG4CGC
01-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Once again, I love the graphics. I'm a junkie.

Jeff K1NSS
01-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Once again, I love the graphics. I'm a junkie.

Back atcha !

Jeff K1NSS
01-06-2013, 12:00 AM
So... destination Japan? Still it looks like a Moxon and a discone. I wonder why the probe looks like a balloon in a Macy's parade or maybe a parody of the British failure Beagle that crashed on Mars? Dashtoons requires further investigation. Yagi Uda? Like hell I did!

Tnx fer ur support Warren.. Nonplussed me at first with the Moxon-discone remark but dawn then broke on Marblehead...the characters for Japan plastered on the planet. Tnx for that little bit of Sartori ! The probe was modeled after a dachshund in Truespace 3d v3.0 (Windows) now free I think at Caligari, the developer. They offer free downloads of way later versions, but I learned on that one in the late 80s and have yet to find a simpler, fun to use modeler, including Google's Sketch-up. Confess I was beaten like a red-headed step child by Autodesk 3D Studio Max and crawled whimpering back to Truespace.

kb2vxa
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Heh heh heh, the characters are the same in Japanese as Chinese for Nippon and having an eye for antennas they look familiar. Trouble is there's no way to copy and paste the script into a Japanese-English translator so I have no idea what that says. Dachshund? It looks like a Beagle which reminded me of the Mars probe where the braking rockets cut off too soon because measurements were metric and somebody plugged in the British system from NASA without realizing the difference. I don't model images after anything, I steal them like the robot on my old QSL lifted from an old computer game. Love the story and the line you butchered from 2001 A Space Odyssey. (;->)
<cue Strauss; An der schönen blauen Donau>

Jeff K1NSS
01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Tnx! Vaguely recall Brit probe failure (named after Darwin's ship?) but not the name, nice accidental resonance all the same. Couple of interesting bits of Japan ham lingo already harvested. Slang for transistor means literally "stone". Also, slang for transmitting with aid ol linear amp, (vs running barefoot) is the word for those traditional shoes on high wooden blocks, extending the English metaphor. Gonna depict JAs as Tanuki and Kitsune-faced hams, the folklore trickster raccoon dog and fox figures in Samurai style garb, semi Manga style, fun fun fun.

n2ize
01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Huh ??? :chin:

Jeff K1NSS
01-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Huh ??? :chin:

Like, you know...

W3WN
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Huh ??? :chin:He's on the bench.

W3WN
01-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Like, you know...They're out in the bullpen.

kb2vxa
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
"Slang for transistor means literally "stone"."
Ah, ishi makes more sense than tokkouyaku, the closest to pills as I could get.

"Also, slang for transmitting with aid ol linear amp..."
He can't hear me, time to turn on the geta. Hmmm, sounds like that silver flash on the inside of a tube.

Your lucky DX cat was confusing enough and now JAs as Manga tricksters? Proper names have no translation but the similarity of Anime to anima has a meaningful possibility using Carl Jung's definition.

"Huh ???"
Dashtoons are the ham's Zap Comix, you have to think outside the box or be really really stoned to appreciate them. Mr. Natural truckin' with an HT? OK as long as Fritz The Cat stays on 14.313. (;->)

Jeff K1NSS
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
This just in...

Raw image from Dashtoons' robot probe now on the surface of Planet 日本, center of the hobby radio universe.

Analysts at the Pet Propulsion Lab are reluctant to comment on this first fuzzy download, but not Maximum Mission Director Dr. Dashiell Hammutt. He bragged that pending enhancement would confirm a population composed entirely of amateur radio operators dressed like actors in Spaghetti Samurai movies.

"Given the tradtional dress," continued Hammutt,"one naturally infers an ancient world of legend, myth, advanced technology and whimsical folklore. No biggie, if you squint, It's plain as the nose on your face. The OMs are Tanuki, or raccoon dog-faced hams. The YLs are Kitsune, or fox-faced hams. And their cool radio equipment is all tricked up to look like little steak houses."

Stay Dashtooned!

n2ize
01-09-2013, 06:06 AM
"Huh ???"
Dashtoons are the ham's Zap Comix, you have to think outside the box or be really really stoned to appreciate them. Mr. Natural truckin' with an HT? OK as long as Fritz The Cat stays on 14.313. (;->)

That's what I figured. ;)

kb2vxa
01-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Uh, you mean supagettiuesutan maybe? Perhaps the more traditional ramen samurai often portrayed in Akira Kurosawa movies. SSTV images are a little rough around the edges but this one looks like a couple of furries standing next to a vaguely pagoda shaped BBQ smoker. It could be smoke blurring the image but without an olfactory sensor it's hard to tell if it is a BBQ or a severely overloaded transformer.

"No biggie, if you squint, It's plain as the nose on your face."
If I squint all I can see is the nose on my face. I guess we'll have to wait until Mission Control focuses the camera or those two clean the schmutz off the lens.

"Stay Dashtooned!"
I ran out of smoke but I will next time I score.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
you have to...be really really stoned to appreciate them.

So, THAT'S why I like the comix :D

Jeff K1NSS
01-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Here's the latest image, uh, enhancement.

OM Tanuki I'm okay with. YL Kitsune I'm not. Gotta redo her head and open her mouth so it's clear she's saying what's exclaimed above. On Japanese masks, Kitsune is often all white with red geometric trim, but I prefer Yoshitoshi's naturalistic version attached, maybe manga'ed up a bit like Tanuki.

Ain't Yoshitoshi's Fox Woman picture grand?

Overall, the colors seemed discordant. My painter advisor said the center linear/tensu/temple is distracting and suggested backing off the red of the frame of the linear and the exciter. Also, suggested darkening the very light gray center bay of the linear. Will make those changes.

The fiddling fits deep space imagery, eh? Remember when Mars had blue skies, then red skies and now, I dunno what you call it?

And how about that Kojinsha KL-1 linear. It's made to loaf up to 4KW, and crank up to 5KW. Cheggitoutnow...

http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/new-equipment/new-fully-digital-contol-japanese-hf-linear-amplifier-kl-11/

And Warren san, tough to figure out costumes from woodblock prints. You seem to have some experience with the genre and PPL welcomes all advice.

WØTKX
01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm for a standard knee jerk xenophobic reaction.
They look like aggressive contest types. :omg:

:rofl:

Jeff K1NSS
01-12-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm for a standard knee jerk xenophobic reaction.
They look like aggressive contest types. :omg:

:rofl:

Might well be. The Rover is equipped for any eventuality, which is to say it dispenses US Treasury notes. The more hostile the threat, the more notes dispensed.

kb2vxa
01-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Let's start with the amp, leave it alone or make the trim brighter red. Japanese temples have a pagoda roof and the outer walls orange and crimson but making the front panel orange would be overdoing it. The temple motif is perfect for Japanese radio worship.

I'm OK with Tanuki too (say that 3 times fast) except for one thing, being a raccoon he needs a mask and in profile a shorter muzzle as not to be mistaken for Dash's other brother. Yeah, raccoons have wider faces and shorter muzzles than Dash and Dit Dit. I have no idea why he's wearing a kimono with a katana, they don't go together. Samurai battle armor and helmet are a bit over the top but here is the appropriate casual attire.

Kitsune doesn't look a bit anime, they're either humans with a few animal parts or animals with human like features which are more common. In this case maybe something like this sample picture maybe? Also her kimono is too long, they don't drag on the floor.

That KL-1 looks like a 30S-1 on steroids, as a matter of fact it is. They upped the 4CX1000 to a 3CX3000, beefed up the power supply and added some electronic bits and that peculiar Japanese hot tube smell like my old Lafayette stereo amp.

"They look like aggressive contest types."
Well they ARE aggressive contest types like Dash, unfortunately Jeff took down the picture of him chewing the wires in lost contest rage that would make the connection.

Jeff K1NSS
01-18-2013, 12:57 AM
All right, all right, Kitsune's kimono is still too long and Tanuki's duds aren't armored and lack proper accessorization,but...they say the CCD adds a good foot to the hemline and plays havoc with all manner of dress for Samurai Success. And after all,if JPL can makeover Mars, PPL can keep flippin' iterations until we git 'er done. What it is, as of now.

kb2vxa
01-19-2013, 12:55 AM
"And Warren san, tough to figure out costumes from woodblock prints. You seem to have some experience with the genre and PPL welcomes all advice."

Oh well...

Jeff K1NSS
01-19-2013, 08:01 AM
"And Warren san, tough to figure out costumes from woodblock prints. You seem to have some experience with the genre and PPL welcomes all advice."

Oh well...

We have not yet begun to erase. Patience, Grasshopper.

NQ6U
01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
I checked out that site, hamsradio.com. There's something wrong with the HTML coding—I can't read a bit of it.

Jeff K1NSS
01-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Well,I was thinking of it as an immersive rather than cognitive experience. Did you listen to the podcast opening. They use a funny HamRadio sounder thing. Yeah, the google translate doesn't seem to work on it no how. The guy who does it does a bit of English. Have to ask him what's up.