PDA

View Full Version : Science Fiction Into Science Fact

NM5TF
01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
fiction into fact......go here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/27-science-fictions-that-became-science-facts-in-2

NQ6U
01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
DARPA was also hard at work this year making robots to track humans and run as fast as a cheetah, which seems like a great combination with no possibility of horrible side effects.

Yes, I agree: what could possibly go wrong with this scenario?

W5GA
01-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Judge Dredd?

N8YX
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM

In a word:

Politicians.

For that matter, any who would use such a device to control or oppress others.

In related science-fiction writing, both Asimov and Herbert cautioned against this sort of reliance...

K6CPO
01-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I want a holodeck...

KG4CGC
01-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I want a holodeck...

Replicator.

NA4BH
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I want a holodeck...

They have pills for that now.

NQ6U
01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
They have pills for that now.

Suppositories.

kb2vxa
01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
The article has me puzzled about a few things like spider silk has a higher tensile strength than steel to begin with so is it spider silk or silkworm silk and what silk producing insect is genetically modified, there are quite a few. Self driving cars are nothing new, part of the Tokyo freeway system had electronic tracks in the pavement that guided and controlled cars as an experiment several years ago. Google goggles were announced last year but I for one couldn't put up with the distraction. A diamond planet, oh well, there goes De Beers down the toilet. That "willow glass" was 50 years in the making, I saw a flexible glass demonstration at the Corning Works when I was a teenager. Corning BTW invented and patented the formula and process for manufacturing long, continuous and optically pure glass fibers making fiber optics possible. Robotic exoskeletons come in handy for fighting Aliens. My brain was hacked years ago and they finally made it public? Holodeck? Another oldie, Bill gates built the Microsoft house some years ago lending an idea to Quaid's/Hauser's house in Total Recall.