PDA

View Full Version : Joined a local ham club tonight

ka4dpo
01-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I haven't been a member of an amateur radio club for quite a few years, not since 2003. I was working then and was TDY almost all of the time so I really didn't have time for it.

So tonight I decided to look into the Sterling Park Amateur Radio Club, S.P.A.R.C. Turned out to be a very nice group with a really friendly atmosphere. I think I'm going to enjoy this club a lot. It's nice to have a place to go where you can hang out with like minded individuals.

PA5COR
01-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Good, as i am member of our main club, VERON and a local club here as well.
Both provide their individual benefits, the main club for representing our interests in global representation and the local one for fun and meeting friends and for projects.

:)

XE1/N5AL
01-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Congratulations! I hope the club is active and has enjoyable activities.

I really need to look into a club here, as well. From poking around on Google, it looks like there are five, or six ham clubs in my area. A couple of them are in neighboring towns and a little too far away to drive. The national level club, similar to the ARRL, is the FMRE (Federacion Mexicana de Radio Experimentadores).

N8YX
01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Cool. Now sign 'em all up on the IoMH. :lol:

wa6mhz
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Clubs are a very pertinent part of Ham radio. When we are operating at home, we tend to be isolated, but it is so great to get out with other hams and discuss it all in person. I go to probably 6 or more local radio clubs here in the San Diego area, and am President of 2 of them. Hams can be very social and it is great to have dinner with them. The few clubs that don't have a meal associated with the meeting have coffee and donuts at break time. The only problem I have is when 2 clubs have the same night chosen for a meeting. Tough to be 2 places at once. There are lots of things to discuss and plan for. Last night I put on a Program for the Palomar ARC, the largest club in the San Diego area, on Ham Radio Homebrewing. Now other clubs want me to put it on for them too. So clubs are wonderful and a very vital part of Ham Radio!

X-Rated
01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.metrodxclub.com/

I belong to a southside Chicago club. Yeah, it's the baddest. We offer the coveted W.U.S.T. award.

WUST for the win.
All we have is WUST for the win.

I worked with the club president (K9CJ) for 7 years in 2 companies. He got me into one job, then I got him into another job, then he got me into a job, then he retired and operates radio all day.

n0iu
01-03-2013, 01:32 PM
"I would never join a club that would have me as a member!"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oIIAKP677Jg/TeGuld6Em5I/AAAAAAAACUw/FHuotV3j6f8/s320/groucho.jpg
Groucho Marx

KJ3N
01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
"I would never join a club that would have me as a member!"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oIIAKP677Jg/TeGuld6Em5I/AAAAAAAACUw/FHuotV3j6f8/s320/groucho.jpg
Groucho Marx

What he said. :hand:

N8YX
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
What he said. :hand:
What those guys said, though I'll gladly show up at the various area clubs' Field Day sites and operate QRQ CW for them...errr, I meant consume their consumables with free abandon. :yes: