PDA

View Full Version : The Government is now protecting my K9s privacy

K7SGJ
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
So I take the Jack Russel to the vet for a couple of health issues. After a thorough exam, he prescribed some meds. One he filled at the office, and the other he sent me to a local pharmacy to pick up. I presented the Rx and waited for it to be filled. While waiting, I was given a stack of papers to fill out. Name, sex, SS#, etc. I tell the pharmacist that it is for my dog. Turns out it doesn't matter. So I fill out all the paper work, and then the last thing I have to sign is a HIPPA non disclosure acknowledgement something or other, which then had to be kept in her "permanent file".

I found this quite amusing, and did have a good laugh about it, especially filling out the paperwork. Like the guy said, it's the law and you have to fill it out, just do the best you can with all the questions. I'm just glad finger prints weren't required. It was a lot easier to get her an Arizona drivers license.

Damn, no wonder health care is so high. I wonder if she is covered under ACA, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

NA4BH
01-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Sounds like all that paperwork had you chasing your tail.

K7SGJ
01-02-2013, 01:52 PM
While I was waiting, I fell out of the chair trying to lick my balls.

W3WN
01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
This is nothing new.

10 years ago, we had a Shih-Tsu that had a bad heart. So, naturally, the vet prescribes medication, which had to be filled out at the pharmacy.

The pharmacy clerk, one day, refused to renew the prescription unless the recipient was present and signed the proper forms. Even though it was clearly from a vet hospital... rules are rules, you know. So, I went home, grabbed the dog, came back... the Phar-Mor store manager tried to throw me out, "you can't have a dog in here!" So I told him exactly what had happened. He followed me to the pharmacy, where upon I presented Toby the dog to the clerk.

They decided that since the dog was under 21, and was clearly a minor in the eyes of the law (in human years, not dog years), that I would be allowed to sign for him as guardian.

And I never did see that clerk again.

I guess he found out that this was nothing to bark about.

W3WN
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Oh, I should add... the story above is true, even if I couldn't resist the punchline.

It just happened to be an appropriate setup; it wasn't a shaggy dog story.

N2CHX
01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Wow. Funny and sad. What would that clerk have done if the patient was bedridden? Stupid.

W3WN
01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Wow. Funny and sad. What would that clerk have done if the patient was bedridden? Stupid.Danged if I know.

That Phar-Mor was a strange place in some ways. For example, one time when I went in to renew Toby's prescription, the price jumped 50%. They'd switched me from pills I had to cut in half to half-strength pills. They told me that they were doing this for my "convenience" -- and wouldn't switch back on the grounds that that's what "the doctor" had told them. Called the vet, who denied telling the pharmacy anything... vet called the pharmacy, and low & behold, I got what I was supposed to.

Pharmacy also told me not to worry about it, my health insurance paid for it anyway. Oh yeah? On a dog? Try again.

No, I didn't switch pharmacies. I would have, but poor Toby died of heart failure before the next renewal would have come up.

N2CHX
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Danged if I know.

That Phar-Mor was a strange place in some ways. For example, one time when I went in to renew Toby's prescription, the price jumped 50%. They'd switched me from pills I had to cut in half to half-strength pills. They told me that they were doing this for my "convenience" -- and wouldn't switch back on the grounds that that's what "the doctor" had told them. Called the vet, who denied telling the pharmacy anything... vet called the pharmacy, and low & behold, I got what I was supposed to.

Pharmacy also told me not to worry about it, my health insurance paid for it anyway. Oh yeah? On a dog? Try again.

No, I didn't switch pharmacies. I would have, but poor Toby died of heart failure before the next renewal would have come up.

:( Sorry to hear that. We all love our pets.

kb2vxa
01-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't wish that on a dog.

KG4CGC
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
:( Sorry to hear that. We all love our pets.

This.

W3WN
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
:( Sorry to hear that. We all love our pets.Thanks.

I do miss the little brat. He used to hop up in my lap while I was operating. Annoyed the big mutt when he did that, since Mickey didn't exactly fit (so he'd go to sleep on the couch outside the shack)
Mickey didn't quite make 15. His rear legs gave out. He was big, hairy, shed all over the place, and his breath was worse than a fishing pier in Baltimore, but...

X-Rated
01-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Sorry to hear about that as well. Need to put out a notice on the Butternut Yahoo Group to not let your dog leak on the HF-xV.