PDA

View Full Version : Ryan - Happy Birthday

N8YX
01-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Must be something in the water - a lot of late December/early January birthdays here.

Whatever the reason, enjoy. :cheers:

N2CHX
01-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Happy Birthday!

KC2UGV
01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Happy Natal Anniversary Ryan!

K7SGJ
01-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Have a very Happy Birthday. And, I hope you get laid.

PA5COR
01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Haappy Birthday!! ;)

KG4CGC
01-01-2013, 03:57 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/657649bb.jpg

suddenseer
01-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Happy BD Ryan.

kf0rt
01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Happy B'day, Ryan.

KC9ECI
01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Congrats on another trip around the sun.

ad4mg
01-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Happy birthday, Ryan. You done with the diaper purchases yet? Seriously, how are the kids? Doing well, I hope!

73 - Luke

KK4AMI
01-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Happy Birthday. Keep up the good fight, I'm pullin' for you.

N8GAV
01-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Happy Birthday Ryan

W3WN
01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Hope you got something you wanted for your birthday Ryan!

X-Rated
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Just hangin' out here sayin' Happy Birthday Ryan.

WØTKX
01-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Happy Birthday, with cupcakes... :)

http://www.bathbabycakes.com/blog/files/fox_cupcakes.jpg

ki4itv
01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Happy Birthday RJ!

N2CHX
01-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Funny, people keep wishing him a happy birthday but I don't think he cares.

ki4itv
01-11-2013, 06:42 PM
True joy doesn't need an audience, or even a purpose.

W3WN
01-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Funny, people keep wishing him a happy birthday but I don't think he cares.It's not important that he cares.

It's only important that we care.

Now, can someone direct me to Santa Rosita Park? I'm looking for a big "W"...

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 10:12 PM
True joy doesn't need an audience, or even a purpose.

^^^
THIS

Happiness is with those celebrating the addition of diversity.

N2RJ
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Funny, people keep wishing him a happy birthday but I don't think he cares.

Yeah, because Jan 1 is not my birthday, which is why I would never look for birthday wishes on Jan 1.

People who know me IRL know when my real birthday is.

Sorry for the letdown people. I had no idea this thread existed... but you can remember my real birthday in 9 months or so. ;)

N2RJ
01-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Happy birthday, Ryan. You done with the diaper purchases yet? Seriously, how are the kids? Doing well, I hope!

73 - Luke

Still going. Bought 2 boxes yesterday. Hoping to not buy any more soon, but I remember myself as a kid, learning to aim and all... but let me not turn this into a gun thread. :lol:

ad4mg
01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Still going. Bought 2 boxes yesterday. Hoping to not buy any more soon, but I remember myself as a kid, learning to aim and all... but let me not turn this into a gun thread. :lol:

Yeah, the sheriff is always on the prowl! Ask Paul... :-D

W3WN
01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah, because Jan 1 is not my birthday, which is why I would never look for birthday wishes on Jan 1.

People who know me IRL know when my real birthday is.

Sorry for the letdown people. I had no idea this thread existed... but you can remember my real birthday in 9 months or so. ;)So if your birthday is in 9 months, that means right now we're celebrating... no, on second thought, let's not go there.

N2RJ
01-18-2013, 03:20 PM
So if your birthday is in 9 months, that means right now we're celebrating... no, on second thought, let's not go there.

Well considering my parents got married in the December before the year before I was born, I would say you are correct. ;)

kf0rt
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Well considering my parents got married in the December before the year before I was born, I would say you are correct. ;)

Your parents were married?

C'mon, you knew it was coming. :rofl:

Apolizes in advance.

W3WN
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Well technically, he DID feed you a straight line.

Still, that one was TOO easy.

kf0rt
01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Well technically, he DID feed you a straight line.

Still, that one was TOO easy.

I'm all about the cheap shots. But, you knew that. ;)

NQ6U
01-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Wait a minute—petri dishes are allowed to marry but gay people aren't??

N2RJ
01-18-2013, 10:24 PM

C'mon, you knew it was coming. :rofl:

Apolizes in advance.

I mean yeh it's easy to pick on a kid from a broken home but yes they were married until I was about 10. Endured quite a bit of bullying in school as a result but it did help me become more independent.

N7YA
01-18-2013, 10:46 PM
It's not important that he cares.

It's only important that we care.

Now, can someone direct me to Santa Rosita Park? I'm looking for a big "W"...

Keep an eye out for Captain Culpepper.

(Ive had the entire script of that movie in my head since i was 12.)

NQ6U
01-18-2013, 10:48 PM

(Ive had the entire script of that movie in my head since i was 12.)

I thought I was the only person who remembered that movie.

N7YA
01-18-2013, 10:48 PM
I mean yeh it's easy to pick on a kid from a broken home but yes they were married until I was about 10. Endured quite a bit of bullying in school as a result but it did help me become more independent.

Its easy because theres so goddamn many of us!

W3WN
01-18-2013, 11:38 PM

(I've had the entire script of that movie in my head since I was 12.)Especially the way he drives...

But talk about "kick the bucket"!!!

W3WN
01-18-2013, 11:40 PM
I thought I was the only person who remembered that movie.AMC has been rerunning it a lot lately.

N7YA
01-19-2013, 12:22 AM
I thought I was the only person who remembered that movie.

That would be a shame if this small group were the only ones who remembered it...thats a serious classic!

KG4CGC
01-19-2013, 01:06 AM
That would be a shame if this small group were the only ones who remembered it...thats a serious classic!
It was my favorite movie when I was 6.

N2CHX
01-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Wait, what? This post doesn't even make sense, coming from an adult old enough to have been picked on for their parents getting divorced when he was 10. Seriously, if you're still this sensitive about your parents divorcing, I suggest seeing a good therapist.

NQ6U
01-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Wait, what? This post doesn't even make sense, coming from an adult old enough to have been picked on for their parents getting divorced when he was 10.

A lot of things about Ryan's back story don't make sense.

N7YA
01-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Wait, what? This post doesn't even make sense, coming from an adult old enough to have been picked on for their parents getting divorced when he was 10. Seriously, if you're still this sensitive about your parents divorcing, I suggest seeing a good therapist.

No shit. Looking for sympathy for THAT among a bunch of broken souls, war vets and former homeless addicts? I wish i had Ryans troubles.

N2CHX
01-19-2013, 05:24 PM
No shit. Looking for sympathy for THAT among a bunch of broken souls, war vets and former homeless addicts? I wish i had Ryans troubles.

Yup. I read that and thought to myself, "Jeez, you never would have even SURVIVED *my* childhood."

Try growing up queer in a family of fundamentalist Christians, then come back and talk to me about how bad your childhood was, and I know a lot of people who grew up with a lot worse than I did.

N7YA
01-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Yep.

Happy Birthday, Ryan...whenever it is. Lots of presents, big cake, etc, etc...

ki4itv
01-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Yup. I read that and thought to myself, "Jeez, you never would have even SURVIVED *my* childhood."

Mine either; Try introducing your parents, both of them in women's clothing. Or, living half the year on the west coast, and the other on the east coast, never really having full-time friends.
My own home life appeared bizarre to most of my friends, but it was normal for me. Stronger for it, too. Colorful and I enjoyed it, once I learned to ignore the boxed in perceptions of others.

N2RJ
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Sympathy is the LAST thing I'm looking for. I don't need your sympathy or anything else from you or anyone else here. Really.

It was more a retort for the lame attempt of a joke that preceded it.
Try to keep up, OM.

X-Rated
01-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Sympathy is the LAST thing I'm looking for. I don't need your sympathy or anything else from you or anyone else here. Really.

Honestly Ryan, You have my symphony.

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Pic-Bio-BIG/Seattle-Symphony-01.jpg

N2CHX
01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Sympathy is the LAST thing I'm looking for.

Then you've come to the right place.

X-Rated
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Look at what Albi had to do to get a little sympathy around here.

WX7P
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Try to keep up, OM.

Nice attempt at dodging your whiny post.

Take your ball and go home, station.

N2RJ
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Look at what Albi had to do to get a little sympathy around here.

I'm not willing to go that far.

N7YA
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Try to keep up, OM.

Mmm, hmm. :yes:

No, Ryan, you clearly and happily make your own bed, you absolutely do not need any sympathy from me as i have none to give.

N2NH
01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
It's got nothing to do with you Ryan. I'd feel sorry for anyone who works for Fox.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 11:31 AM
It's got nothing to do with you Ryan. I'd feel sorry for anyone who works for Fox.

I wouldn't. It's a job and it's about earning money. In Ryan's case he has a skill and he is paid by FOX for his skills. If I were in need of a job I would go and work for FOX iif they offered me a good job using my knowledge and skills with good pay, good benefits etc. Work is work, and especially these days good jobs are not something we can snub our noses at. Besides, working for FOX doesn't mean that you subscribe to Limbaugh or Beck, or that you agree with everything on Fox news.

KC2UGV
01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Besides, working for FOX doesn't mean that you subscribe to Limbaugh or Beck, or that you agree with everything on Fox news.

If you are helping an organization to get it's message/product out, you agree with the message/product. That's the bottom line, especially in IT, where you can work for lots of other organizations.

N2NH
01-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't. It's a job and it's about earning money. In Ryan's case he has a skill and he is paid by FOX for his skills. If I were in need of a job I would go and work for FOX iif they offered me a good job using my knowledge and skills with good pay, good benefits etc. Work is work, and especially these days good jobs are not something we can snub our noses at. Besides, working for FOX doesn't mean that you subscribe to Limbaugh or Beck, or that you agree with everything on Fox news.

And I never said that. Still, I am sorry for anyone who works for Fox. Much as I am sorry for anyone who works at an asylum.

WX7P
01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Besides, working for FOX doesn't mean that you subscribe to Limbaugh or Beck, or that you agree with everything on Fox news.

You'd never know it by the drivel Ryan posts. It's all Fox "News" talking points.

The boy is a true company man...

n2ize
01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
You'd never know it by the drivel Ryan posts. It's all Fox "News" talking points.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't agree with many things Ryan says. On the other hand there are some opinions he provides that I do agree with. In any event he is entitled to his opinion regardless of whether we may agree of disagree and I respect Ryan regardless of whether I agree or disagree with something he may say. All in all I think Ryan is a good member of this BBS and he does make good points.

WX7P
01-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I don't agree with many things Ryan says. On the other hand there are some opinions he provides that I do agree with. In any event he is entitled to his opinion regardless of whether we may agree of disagree and I respect Ryan regardless of whether I agree or disagree with something he may say. All in all I think Ryan is a good member of this BBS and he does make good points.

That's very noble of you.

I don't feel the same way. This guy's story has been all over the map with his current incarnation as a right wing kool-aid drinker, which is in stark contrast to his comments when he first showed up on the zed.

His back story doesn't make sense as others have noticed. It's hard for me to take someone like that seriously. Respect? Not happening.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 03:24 PM
And I never said that. Still, I am sorry for anyone who works for Fox. Much as I am sorry for anyone who works at an asylum.
Well, if I were working for Fox I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to feel sorry for me. Of course you are entitled to your own feelings however. If the job is good and provides for me and I am doing well there is nothing to feel sorry for. But I understand what you are saying. Then again all jjobs carry their own headaches/

I recall when the CIA was "recruiting" at my former college campus and a friend said he would have sympathies for me if I were to ever end up working for them. I told him, please, save the sympathies for someone who really needs them. The CIA jobs are good jobs which I would look forward to. Nothing to feel sorry for.

N2NH
01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, if I were working for Fox I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to feel sorry for me. Of course you are entitled to your own feelings however. If the job is good and provides for me and I am doing well there is nothing to feel sorry for. But I understand what you are saying. Then again all jjobs carry their own headaches/

I recall when the CIA was "recruiting" at my former college campus and a friend said he would have sympathies for me if I were to ever end up working for them. I told him, please, save the sympathies for someone who really needs them. The CIA jobs are good jobs which I would look forward to. Nothing to feel sorry for.

As a Christian I would feel sorry even for you John should you ever have the misfortune of finding yourself in a position of employment for Fox. One doesn't choose whether or not people should feel for them. It happens irregardless.

N2RJ
01-23-2013, 03:55 PM
It's OK John (NH). Really. No need to feel sorry. :)

N7YA
01-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Geez, we're turning him into the new Burt with this thread.

W3WN
01-23-2013, 03:58 PM
If you are helping an organization to get it's message/product out, you agree with the message/product. That's the bottom line, especially in IT, where you can work for lots of other organizations.Nope, nope, nope. No sir. No way. Not true at all.

Oh, maybe if you're an upaid volunteer. Especially for something political in nature.

But a job is a job. As an IT professional, when I'm hired to fix a PC or maintain a network or program a database or whatever, I'm being paid to perform a task. The CONTENTS of that PC, database, network server, etc., well that's another story.

Let me put it this way... if I was hired by a fundamental Christian denomination to run their church's network, keep their email functioning and their web server humming, do you think for a MOMENT that that means I agree with their "message" or "product"? Not in a million years, Bubbe. [Of course, the odds of said denomination hiring a nice Jewish boy are somewhere on the far end of between "exceedingly slim" and "not a chance in Hell", but that's beside the point]

When jobs are scarce, sometimes you have to take the one that's offered. Bills have to be paid, family has to be clothed and fed and protected. That doesn't mean that I endorse or agree with my employer. It just means I do my job.

N2RJ
01-23-2013, 04:02 PM

You don't even watch the channel, how would you know that? Do you own Newshounds per chance?

KC2UGV
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Nope, nope, nope. No sir. No way. Not true at all.

Oh, maybe if you're an upaid volunteer. Especially for something political in nature.

But a job is a job. As an IT professional, when I'm hired to fix a PC or maintain a network or program a database or whatever, I'm being paid to perform a task. The CONTENTS of that PC, database, network server, etc., well that's another story.

Let me put it this way... if I was hired by a fundamental Christian denomination to run their church's network, keep their email functioning and their web server humming, do you think for a MOMENT that that means I agree with their "message" or "product"? Not in a million years, Bubbe. [Of course, the odds of said denomination hiring a nice Jewish boy are somewhere on the far end of between "exceedingly slim" and "not a chance in Hell", but that's beside the point]

When jobs are scarce, sometimes you have to take the one that's offered. Bills have to be paid, family has to be clothed and fed and protected. That doesn't mean that I endorse or agree with my employer. It just means I do my job.

Not really. You are free to take a job, or not.

I refuse work all the time for questionable clients. I wont work for mafiosos, russian hacker networks, Westboro Baptist, etc etc. Because I don't agree, or like, what they are doing. So, I don't aid or abet what they do, because that's showing condoning and approval of their methods, products, and messages. Just like radio networks choose to not carry advertisers that aren't in line with the image they need to project.

WX7P
01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
You don't even watch the channel, how would you know that? Do you own Newshounds per chance?

Whenever I see something completely stupid, I check the source. Inevitably, it's Fox "News" or NewsMax or Clownhall or one of those outfits.

The BS you post comes from one of these sources, usually a Fox "News" talking point.

It's amazing to me that you think you're taken seriously here. You aren't. You're just another bozo bought off by oligarchs. That and your incomprehensible back story make you irrelevant.

Go ahead. Keep posting. You and Paul do a great job of making Republicans look like complete idiots.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Whenever I see something completely stupid, I check the source. Inevitably, it's Fox "News" or NewsMax or Clownhall or one of those outfits.

The BS you post comes from one of these sources, usually a Fox "News" talking point.

It's amazing to me that you think you're taken seriously here. You aren't. You're just another bozo bought off by oligarchs. That and your incomprehensible back story make you irrelevant.

Go ahead. Keep posting. You and Paul do a great job of making Republicans look like complete idiots.

This does not speak for all of us. I take Ryan seriously. I think he makes some good points. He also say's things I completely disagree with. The point being that I have tolerance for those I disagree with. Much like politics itself. I disagree with most of the republicans. At the same time I also dislike many things the democrats are doing.

WX7P
01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
This does not speak for all of us. I take Ryan seriously. I think he makes some good points. He also say's things I completely disagree with. The point being that I have tolerance for those I disagree with. Much like politics itself. I disagree with most of the republicans. At the same time I also dislike many things the democrats are doing.

I have tolerance for those I disagree with too. That doesn't mean they can wantonly spout falsehoods and expect you to be held to a higher standard.

We're not talking about working around the fringe here. These guys post really whacked out stuff that isn't even remotely coherent. I can't respect that.

I refuse to mainstream bullshit, which is what YOU'RE doing by acknowledging that what they have to say is relevant.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
As a Christian I would feel sorry even for you John should you ever have the misfortune of finding yourself in a position of employment for Fox.

I wouldn't consider it a misfortune if I am getting paid a good salary and I have benefits and I am involved in a field that I enjoy. I would consider it good fortune.

One doesn't choose whether or not people should feel for them. It happens irregardless.

Sure, you could feel sorry for me if that is what you wish but frankly I think you would be better served to feel sorry for someone who is experiencing true misfortune, like being unemployed, homeless, very sick, etc.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 05:30 PM

I refuse work all the time for questionable clients. I wont work for mafiosos, russian hacker networks, Westboro Baptist, etc etc. Because I don't agree, or like, what they are doing. So, I don't aid or abet what they do, because that's showing condoning and approval of their methods, products, and messages. Just like radio networks choose to not carry advertisers that aren't in line with the image they need to project.

Heck, by your standards there are very few jobs a person can take, except perhaps working for Occupy Wall Street. Except for academia almost every corporate job I ever worked had some negative aspects or policies I didn't agree with. When I worked for Exxon I didn't like their environmental record. There were many things I didn't agree with when i was working for the insurance industry. Even government agencies have many policies I may not agree with. If I (and others) were to apply such criteria there would be next to no jobs we could take. You couldn;t become a cop because sometimes they do bad things.

Perhaps the most virtuous man is the one who has comitted himself to poverty, looks upon money and wealth as a curse, and devotes his life to martyrdom and/or doing good deeds for others. Unfortunately it is going to be a hard and painstaking way of life.

I think we should back off criticizing people for the jobs they work at. We are living in tough times and many o us are lucky to have any job at all. Things are extremely competitive and most people are just trying to earn a living so they can have a roof over their head and take care of their families. Not everyone who works agrees with every policy of the company they work for. They are simply trying to earn a living and survive.

N2NH
01-23-2013, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't consider it a misfortune if I am getting paid a good salary and I have benefits and I am involved in a field that I enjoy. I would consider it good fortune.

Sure, you could feel sorry for me if that is what you wish but frankly I think you would be better served to feel sorry for someone who is experiencing true misfortune, like being unemployed, homeless, very sick, etc.

Now John, don't be modest. You are just as deserving of my pity as Ryan is. I truly pity those who have to do duty in a place that is truly a madhouse. I've been in that position myself. It's not a good feeling, even if it does pay the bills.

KC2UGV
01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Heck, by your standards there are very few jobs a person can take, except perhaps working for Occupy Wall Street. Except for academia almost every corporate job I ever worked had some negative aspects or policies I didn't agree with. When I worked for Exxon I didn't like their environmental record. There were many things I didn't agree with when i was working for the insurance industry. Even government agencies have many policies I may not agree with. If I (and others) were to apply such criteria there would be next to no jobs we could take. You couldn;t become a cop because sometimes they do bad things.

Perhaps the most virtuous man is the one who has comitted himself to poverty, looks upon money and wealth as a curse, and devotes his life to martyrdom and/or doing good deeds for others. Unfortunately it is going to be a hard and painstaking way of life.

I think we should back off criticizing people for the jobs they work at. We are living in tough times and many o us are lucky to have any job at all. Things are extremely competitive and most people are just trying to earn a living so they can have a roof over their head and take care of their families. Not everyone who works agrees with every policy of the company they work for. They are simply trying to earn a living and survive.

There's plenty of jobs to work, where the organization isn't evil. For the rest, if you can live with yourself being labeled aiding and abetting what the firm does, then it's on you. But, make no mistake: You are aiding, abetting, and granting your tacit approval of what a firm does by working for them.

If you agree with right wing propaganda machines, feel free to work for them. If you don't, then don't cry when people point out your tacit (Or overt) approval.

N7YA
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I wont judge Ryan on where he works, thats none of my business. All i can judge him by is what he posts here because thats all i know of him. The fact that he works for Fox is kind of expected and part of the package deal that makes him the likable fellow we all know and love.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Now John, don't be modest. You are just as deserving of my pity as Ryan is. I truly pity those who have to do duty in a place that is truly a madhouse. I've been in that position myself. It's not a good feeling, even if it does pay the bills.

Well, have all the pity you want. If the job pays well, has good benefits, and I enjoy the work then i could care less whether I agree with everything the company says or does. I've been in that position and its a great feeling. I am there to do a job and get paid for it, not to be a preacher of morals.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
I wont judge Ryan on where he works, thats none of my business. All i can judge him by is what he posts here because thats all i know of him. The fact that he works for Fox is kind of expected and part of the package deal that makes him the likable fellow we all know and love.

yeah, but the verdict here seems to becoming that you can critique and prejudge people based on who they work for or what business they are in. That is why I don;t reveal who I work for or what exactly it is that I do. That is between me and the people I am involved with.

n2ize
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
There's plenty of jobs to work, where the organization isn't evil. For the rest, if you can live with yourself being labeled aiding and abetting what the firm does, then it's on you. But, make no mistake: You are aiding, abetting, and granting your tacit approval of what a firm does by working for them.

If you agree with right wing propaganda machines, feel free to work for them. If you don't, then don't cry when people point out your tacit (Or overt) approval.

This is the very attitude that reminds me to keep my employment information secret. Who exactly I work for and what I do is shall remain classified.

KC2UGV
01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
This is the very attitude that reminds me to keep my employment information secret. Who exactly I work for and what I do is shall remain classified.

Feel free to do so. It's not an "attitude", it's the facts. People these days want all the benefits, with none of the responsibilities of their choices. The same people claiming the stance you do, are the same ones who would have no problem doing work for Neo-Nazis, Westboro, Faux News, etc; and enable them to continue their mission of spreading filth.

"It's the money! I don't care about what I enable them to do!"

W3WN
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM

It's your choice. IMHO, though, agreeing to work for someone (especially for a completely legitimate company in a recognized & established legitimate business... which excludes your rather extreme examples) does not neccesarily imply that one condones and/or approves of said company's methods, products, and/or messages.

Clearly we are not going to agree on this. So I won't argue the point with you.

But given the choice between upholding a principle and letting my child starve, or working for a (legit) firm that I don't neccesarily agree with to pay the bills & put food on the table, I'm going to put food on the table. I may do so reluctantly, but I'll do it.

N2NH
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM

It's okay John, I guessed that years ago. CIA operative with specialty in disinformation. :lol:

KC2UGV
01-24-2013, 03:19 PM
It's your choice. IMHO, though, agreeing to work for someone (especially for a completely legitimate company in a recognized & established legitimate business... which excludes your rather extreme examples) does not neccesarily imply that one condones and/or approves of said company's methods, products, and/or messages.

Russian hacker networks are totally legal and legitimate companies, using established business practices in Russia. So, it's totally OK for me to build a new spam engine for them? Or, a CAPTCHA cracker?

And, yes, agreeing to work for them means an agreement to aid, abet, and condone their practices.

Clearly we are not going to agree on this. So I won't argue the point with you.

But given the choice between upholding a principle and letting my child starve, or working for a (legit) firm that I don't neccesarily agree with to pay the bills & put food on the table, I'm going to put food on the table. I may do so reluctantly, but I'll do it.

Rarely, if ever, is the choice between letting your child starve and working for a legit firm ever presented. Hell, you could work retail, construction, etc etc.

N2CHX
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Russian hacker networks are totally legal and legitimate companies, using established business practices in Russia. So, it's totally OK for me to build a new spam engine for them? Or, a CAPTCHA cracker?

Seems like an extreme example, as well as this being legally questionable here in the states.

And, yes, agreeing to work for them means an agreement to aid, abet, and condone their practices.

I still have Mr. Gayhater as a client and I have no plans to drop him anytime soon.

Rarely, if ever, is the choice between letting your child starve and working for a legit firm ever presented. Hell, you could work retail, construction, etc etc.

I disagree with that completely. Finding work anywhere right now is next to impossible. Any kind of work, and if you have a lot of experience in a well-paid field, don't expect that restaurants or even retail stores are going to hire you. Trust me, they won't, because they know you'll be gone as soon as something better comes along.

W3WN
01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Russian hacker networks are totally legal and legitimate companies, using established business practices in Russia. So, it's totally OK for me to build a new spam engine for them? Or, a CAPTCHA cracker? < snip >They are? Really?

I don't believe that, with all due respect, and no, I didn't say either of those, or anything like them, are OK.

< snip >
Rarely, if ever, is the choice between letting your child starve and working for a legit firm ever presented. Hell, you could work retail, construction, etc etc.I spent three years working at various Home Depots. Again, with all due respect, don't lecture me on what I will do to put food on the table. If I had to dig ditches and had no other choices available, I would.

You are still trying to "win" an argument, and this is getting absurd.

Now maybe you have the luxury of being able to choose amongst many job opportunities, and can pick the one that suits your personal opinions the best. If so, good for you. Not all of us have that luxury all of the time. Some don't have it at all.

This isn't theoretical to me.

I'm in my mid-50's. The reality is that jobs in the IT field at my age, below the management level, are few and far between; they can almost always hire someone younger than me to do the jobs I can do, and hire them cheaper, all else being equal. I got this job, after 3+ years of searching, in large part because I'm fluent in an obsolete and out of date database language... and if the company ever changes software, I could be in BIG trouble if I can't master the new application.

So if the company owners adapt a position I disagree with personally... offhand I can't think of any significant one, but I'm sure I can, given sufficient time... if it is not TOTALLY outrageous or out of bounds, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and do my job. Doesn't mean I agree with it, not in the slightest. Nor does it mean I disagree with it. It does mean that during working hours, I do my job & continue to try and do it well... and that's all.

KG4CGC
01-24-2013, 05:45 PM
<snip>

I disagree with that completely. Finding work anywhere right now is next to impossible. Any kind of work, and if you have a lot of experience in a well-paid field, don't expect that restaurants or even retail stores are going to hire you. Trust me, they won't, because they know you'll be gone as soon as something better comes along.

Or they worry that you will inform the regular employees of their rights and cause a revolt. Yes. I've actually been told that I'm over qualified to do dishwashing. They just didn't want me around.

N2CHX
01-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Or they worry that you will inform the regular employees of their rights and cause a revolt. Yes. I've actually been told that I'm over qualified to do dishwashing. They just didn't want me around.

Yup. I can honestly say I've been there. Recently. Not dishwashing, but not far off from that. The very limited tech sector around here frowns on women and restaurants and retail won't touch someone with my experience. In other words, self-employment is about my only option right now. The old neocon/tea party bullshit line about just going out and getting a job is.... exactly that. Bullshit.

BTW, this whole thing brings to mind an incident that happened a few years ago, when part of the LGBT community got offended and pissed off by something offensive that was said on a popular show on one of the stations the company I worked for owned. I was told I should quit my job, that I was working for blood money, that if I continued to work for them I was condoning what the air personalities said (I never even met them, they were 3,000 miles away!) and was called all manner of derogatory names for defending the company and myself. That was around the time I decided that being an activist for that community was just stupid, that the leadership of said community for the most part was stupid and most of their "injuries" were self-inflicted, and just decided to live my life peaceably without all that extra nonsense drama to go along with it.

AFAIC, anyone who said I was as guilty as the air personalities and that I should quit my job is, quite frankly, a fucking lunatic. I did eventually leave, but my reasons were much more personal than that. Yes, the company eventually failed to keep a specific department from becoming a hostile work environment, mostly because of two specific people. It wouldn't have mattered if I were gay, female, black, Asian or whatever. The people who caused problems were bigots who hated anyone who was "different" including Asians (how I discovered this one was actually frightening). By the time I finally realized what was going on, the damage had already been done and I opted to simply leave the hostile environment rather than endure a bloody battle against people who were firmly entrenched up a certain manager's ass. I still have friends who work there. I have been back there for meetings and I have salespeople and other friends who work with me on other projects. I don't begrudge them that at all. In fact, looking back on it I realize that while the company could have handled some things differently, so could I also have. I would never shame anyone for working there.

That said, I also have a friend who works for Premiere Networks, who use to rub shoulders with Rush Limbaugh in the hallways when he was still doing his show from NYC. We had this very conversation when I was going through all of my crap where I used to work. You do what you have to do. I don't agree with Ryan's politics and it seems he's probably quite in his glory working for Fox, but I'm not going to take any serious shots at him because of who he works for. Chide him a bit, sure. Already done that, I think. But to say he shouldn't work there with any kind of sincerity is IMO, ridiculous. If that's the best we've got, maybe it's time to take our toys and go home, because it's over.

N7YA
01-24-2013, 08:03 PM
That said, I also have a friend who works for Premiere Networks, who use to rub shoulders with Rush Limbaugh in the hallways when he was still doing his show from NYC.

:shock:

How is that physically possible???

N2CHX
01-24-2013, 08:08 PM

How is that physically possible???

Hahahaha! Nice.

WX7P
01-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't agree with Ryan's politics and it seems he's probably quite in his glory working for Fox, but I'm not going to take any serious shots at him because of who he works for. Chide him a bit, sure. Already done that, I think. But to say he shouldn't work there with any kind of sincerity is IMO, ridiculous. If that's the best we've got, maybe it's time to take our toys and go home, because it's over.

I'll take shots at Ryan because he's a phony and a liar.

It has nothing to do with his work for Fox "News".

His story doesn't work on many levels, which is why I think he's full of shit. It has nothing to do with politics. He adds to the madness but making outrageous claims, like his recent stupidity about gun owners being more educated. That one ranked right up there with the zed lie that most enlisted military were college educated. Right.

Ryan is so full of shit on so many levels, his Fox "News" employment is only the tip of the iceberg.

W3WN
01-25-2013, 08:26 AM

How is that physically possible???Extra wide corridors?

N2RJ
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
I'll take shots at Ryan because he's a phony and a liar.

It has nothing to do with his work for Fox "News".

His story doesn't work on many levels, which is why I think he's full of shit. It has nothing to do with politics. He adds to the madness but making outrageous claims, like his recent stupidity about gun owners being more educated. That one ranked right up there with the zed lie that most enlisted military were college educated. Right.

Ryan is so full of shit on so many levels, his Fox "News" employment is only the tip of the iceberg.

Damn. You know me so well.

n2ize
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
They are? Really?

I don't believe that, with all due respect, and no, I didn't say either of those, or anything like them, are OK.
I spent three years working at various Home Depots. Again, with all due respect, don't lecture me on what I will do to put food on the table. If I had to dig ditches and had no other choices available, I would.

You are still trying to "win" an argument, and this is getting absurd.

Now maybe you have the luxury of being able to choose amongst many job opportunities, and can pick the one that suits your personal opinions the best. If so, good for you. Not all of us have that luxury all of the time. Some don't have it at all.

This isn't theoretical to me.

I'm in my mid-50's. The reality is that jobs in the IT field at my age, below the management level, are few and far between; they can almost always hire someone younger than me to do the jobs I can do, and hire them cheaper, all else being equal. I got this job, after 3+ years of searching, in large part because I'm fluent in an obsolete and out of date database language... and if the company ever changes software, I could be in BIG trouble if I can't master the new application.

So if the company owners adapt a position I disagree with personally... offhand I can't think of any significant one, but I'm sure I can, given sufficient time... if it is not TOTALLY outrageous or out of bounds, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and do my job. Doesn't mean I agree with it, not in the slightest. Nor does it mean I disagree with it. It does mean that during working hours, I do my job & continue to try and do it well... and that's all.

Thank you for expressing the reality of the job situation. Everything you said above is very true. Not everyone has the luxury of rejecting jobs until they find the company of shining virtue. For instance I know one individual who was out of work for well over a year due to illness and is in his 50's and trying to find work. So far 2 years and he still has not found anything. Companies don;t want to touch him despite the fact that he holds an advanced degree, is skilled and has an excellent work history and references. Such an individual does no have the luxury of picking and choosing among jiobs.

X-Rated
01-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Thank you for expressing the reality of the job situation. Everything you said above is very true. Not everyone has the luxury of rejecting jobs until they find the company of shining virtue. For instance I know one individual who was out of work for well over a year due to illness and is in his 50's and trying to find work. So far 2 years and he still has not found anything. Companies don;t want to touch him despite the fact that he holds an advanced degree, is skilled and has an excellent work history and references. Such an individual does no have the luxury of picking and choosing among jiobs.

In my first job out of college I was told to stamp tested products that were not tested to meet the shipment schedule. I refused to do that. This was in an avionics manufacturing setting. My boss made it difficult to stay and I quit without another job after 4 months on the job. It was difficult to find another job after that for a while. It took me 6 years to find a job to where I could work my way up the ranks to where I was straight out of college for appeasing my set of values. This was during the Reagan era when great jobs were easy to find.

Fortunately since that first job, I have never had an employer tell me to break federal law. But I did stay with a crappy job for 6 and a half years in Kansas to feed the family until I finally got laid off. Both of these jobs were in Kansas. I refuse to go back to where employers are total jerks.

KC2UGV
01-28-2013, 08:11 AM

I'm so glad I've gotten this insight. Now, I can do IT consulting work for National Organization for Marriage, and my conscious will be clear. This new insight will be helpful in allowing me to make gobs more money. I can work with a clear conscious for any Neo-Nazi group, Westboro Baptist, Faux News, NAMBLA, Church of Scientology, the GOP, any Tea Party group, ad nauseum.

After all: I've gotta get money. That's all that matters, right?

N2CHX
01-28-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm so glad I've gotten this insight. Now, I can do IT consulting work for National Organization for Marriage, and my conscious will be clear. This new insight will be helpful in allowing me to make gobs more money. I can work with a clear conscious for any Neo-Nazi group, Westboro Baptist, Faux News, NAMBLA, Church of Scientology, the GOP, any Tea Party group, ad nauseum.

You do make a good point there.

KB3LAZ
01-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Again? Havent we done this before, more than once in fact? How well did it work out last time? Bitching, pissing, moaning, bannings, self subjected vacations, hatred, etc.

Seems to me that this is a well hashed out subject where no one person has a desire to disscuss, only to denigrate.

Insanity, doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. Yep, I think I have heard others say this time and again.

N2RJ
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Would you work for Amazon Web Services, a cloud hosting provider or any hosting company for that matter?

N2CHX
01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Again? Havent we done this before, more than once in fact? How well did it work out last time? Bitching, pissing, moaning, bannings, self subjected vacations, hatred, etc.

Seems to me that this is a well hashed out subject where no one person has a desire to disscuss, only to denigrate.

Insanity, doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. Yep, I think I have heard others say this time and again.

And there's that...

KG4CGC
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Where has this thread been hiding?
Happy Birthday Ryan!

N2CHX
01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
This just needs to become the new Random Thoughts thread.

N8YX
01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Geez...see if I ever start another birthday thread. Talk about "No good deed goes unpunished"! :wall:

N2CHX
01-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Geez...see if I ever start another birthday thread. Talk about "No good deed goes unpunished"! :wall:

Sorry, my post was never intended to offend *you*.

KG4CGC
01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Send this thread to the mainland.

N2CHX
01-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Send this thread to the mainland.

Flush it down the toilet, along with its intended and wholly ungrateful recipient.

N2RJ
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Where has this thread been hiding?
Happy Birthday Ryan!

Thanks but my birthday is not January 1.

You can thank the forum software default for that?

WX7P
01-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks but my birthday is not January 1.

You can thank the forum software default for that?

Not surprising. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot about you that's real.